It is currently 05/04/24 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/18/14 8:54 am • # 1 
Administrator

Pope Francis can, and IS, making a difference ~ :st ~ Sooz

Pope Raffles Off Opulent Gifts He's Received To Raise Money For Charity
By ASSOCIATED PRESS Published November 18, 2014, 9:19 AM EST

VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis is raffling off dozens of gifts he's been given during his short papacy, including a new Fiat 4x4, some bikes and a fancy coffee maker, with the proceeds going to charity.

The Vatican City State administration this week put up posters around the Vatican advertising the 10 euro ($13) per ticket raffle. Tickets are on sale at the Vatican post office, pharmacy and other venues open to the public. Winners will be announced Jan. 8.

Francis, known for his simplicity, has overhauled the Vatican's finances to make them more efficient and to devote more money to charity.

The raffle is part of that effort, making sure gifts for which Francis has no use don't just gather dust in storage but are used to help the needy.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/pope-francis-raffling-gifts-charity

PostPosted: 11/18/14 9:40 am • # 2 
Editorialist

I know I'm never going to agree with everything the church stands for-and against-but I like this guy. He seems so genuine in his desire to be kind.

Can't help but cheer him on. Putting in showers for the homeless? Awesome!!! :bow

PostPosted: 11/18/14 9:44 am • # 3 
Administrator

Chaos333 wrote:
I know I'm never going to agree with everything the church stands for-and against-but I like this guy. He seems so genuine in his desire to be kind.

Can't help but cheer him on. Putting in showers for the homeless? Awesome!!! :bow

Absolutely/positively 100% agree, Chaos! ~ he's like a breath of fresh air ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/18/14 11:13 am • # 4 
I like him, too. Just missed him at the Vatican but bought his memorabilia for my coworker who loves him!!!

He is coming to Philadelphia in September 2015. They were talking on the news about his visit bringing 100s of millions to the city.

PostPosted: 11/18/14 1:34 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

But, but, but ....

Isn't he the biggest and most powerful bigshot in one of the biggest and most powerful religions? And don't religions cause more bad than good? So, doesn't that mean he's a bad guy?

PostPosted: 11/18/14 1:41 pm • # 6 
Sugar probably causes more harm than good, too, cm. Doesn't mean I am giving up sugar.

I know you know this, btw. Cognitive distortion. All or nothing thinking.

PostPosted: 11/18/14 1:48 pm • # 7 
Administrator

kathyk1024 wrote:
I like him, too. Just missed him at the Vatican but bought his memorabilia for my coworker who loves him!!!

He is coming to Philadelphia in September 2015. They were talking on the news about his visit bringing 100s of millions to the city.

Anyone else see the irony here?

PostPosted: 11/18/14 2:01 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Cattleman wrote:
But, but, but ....

Isn't he the biggest and most powerful bigshot in one of the biggest and most powerful religions? And don't religions cause more bad than good? So, doesn't that mean he's a bad guy?

I just double-checked and the pope was not one of the limited but specific 6 items on the list, CM ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/18/14 2:11 pm • # 9 
If people want to go see the Pope in Philadelphia it is their choice. No different than if people visit Rome to see the Pope. Tourism brings money to the destination.

PostPosted: 11/18/14 2:23 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

Are you trying to tell me the Pope has nothing to do with religion sooz?

PostPosted: 11/18/14 2:25 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

I'm all against "all or nothing thinking" as well Kath. I'm not the one doing it.

You can play your "Cognitive distortion" card if you like, my non sequitur card trumps it.

PostPosted: 11/18/14 2:35 pm • # 12 
Cattleman wrote:
I'm all against "all or nothing thinking" as well Kath. I'm not the one doing it.

You can play your "Cognitive distortion" card if you like, my non sequitur card trumps it.

We'll just disagree on that one.

PostPosted: 11/18/14 2:48 pm • # 13 
Editorialist

I'm not going to agree with that Kath.

You are mistaken.

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply