It is currently 05/24/24 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 39 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/30/14 5:13 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

I imagine not only does it save the animals, but it keeps them from rummaging through garbage cans and such. We don't have much of a problem in Calgary because of the strict leash laws. I just hope nearby wildlife doesn't clue in on this. That could be a problem.

Genius Idea: See how recycling saves stray dogs in Turkey

Sunday, November 30, 2014, 4:01 PM - In Istanbul, Turkey, where an estimated 150,000 stray dogs and cats wander the streets everyday, a Turkish company called Pugedon has come up with a way to provide food for the animals while simultaneously helping the environment.

They're called "Smart Recycling Boxes" and they dispense food and water in exchange for recycled plastic bottles.

The benefits of the vending machines are two-fold: encourage recycling and help the thousands of stray dogs and cats across the city.
HOW IT WORKS

The recycling is put on top and food is dispensed out of the bottom within easy reach for the animals.

The vending machine also includes a water dish so users can pour the remaining water from the plastic bottle before recycling it (see video above).

The bottles are used to cover the cost of food.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/a ... key/41025/

PostPosted: 11/30/14 6:48 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

In Istanbul, Turkey, where an estimated 150,000 stray dogs and cats wander the streets

So they are aiming for a million?

PostPosted: 11/30/14 7:29 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Eating them for lunch would reduce the numbers.

PostPosted: 12/01/14 10:25 am • # 4 
Editorialist

Cattleman, I'd rather have that than think of animals starving to death.

Maybe they could find a way to use part of the recycling money to fund a spay/neuter program. :)

PostPosted: 12/01/14 10:46 am • # 5 
I don't remember tons of strays in Turkey, but in Athens? OMG!!! Strays and dead dogs everywhere. Walking up the Parthenon steps you could trip over a dead dog.

Victoria tells me they eat both stray dogs and cats in Ghana. Diana commented when we drove down the road and noticed all the Canadian geese on the sides of the road. She stated in Ghana they would be someone's Sunday dinner.

PostPosted: 12/01/14 12:30 pm • # 6 
Administrator

They are Canada geese, not Canadian geese.

PostPosted: 12/01/14 1:29 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

It wont stop the starvation Rose, just put it off for a while. And I'm sure the rats will have a good time of it as well.

Spaying sounds good, but how do you spay strays? You catch them, spay them and then let them go?

PostPosted: 12/01/14 3:13 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

True Cattleman. Children still starve to death in 3rd world countries, but that doesn't stop the UN or IRC from trying to feed them as much as possible. Just sayin'.

I think the feeders have a door that must be nudged open by an animal larger than a rat. Not sure.

Catch, neuter and release? Why not?

I'm not saying this is a perfect system, but it's better than nothing. There are several ways they might make more of a difference in the homeless pet population. More shelters and active adoption programs. More education for pet owners about spay/neuter. Low-cost spay/neuter plans. We had both of our cats neutered for $10 through a pet store that got a very generous donation for such a thing. We had a choice of a half-dozen vets who participated and choose the one closest to us. It was great!

PostPosted: 12/01/14 5:02 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

Well, as much as I love our cat and dog they aren't children and I'm not going to treat them as if they were.

I've seen rats almost as big as cats ....

And all the things you mention are good ideas Rose. But we are talking about an existing stray population of 150,000. That would have to be one hell of a big, and expensive, neutering program.

And the primary difference is that this program is in Istanbul, not Sydney or Toronto.

PostPosted: 12/01/14 5:11 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Cattleman wrote:
Well, as much as I love our cat and dog they aren't children and I'm not going to treat them as if they were.

I've seen rats almost as big as cats ....

And all the things you mention are good ideas Rose. But we are talking about an existing stray population of 150,000. That would have to be one hell of a big, and expensive, neutering program.

And the primary difference is that this program is in Istanbul, not Sydney or Toronto.

You beat me to it.

PostPosted: 12/01/14 7:15 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

Ok then. I concede. Since it's a big problem nothing should be done. Got it.

PostPosted: 12/02/14 3:13 am • # 12 
Editorialist

Something should be done about it, I just doubt if you'll like what it is Rose.

PostPosted: 12/02/14 9:31 am • # 13 
Administrator

I like the idea in the op ~ starvation is a horrid/painful way to die ~ so I see the op's effort as cost-effective, humane, worth trying, and win/win ~ Edited to add: sometimes the simplest ideas work ~ and if/when an idea doesn't work, you try something else ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/02/14 10:08 am • # 14 
Editorialist

Here's another article with a little more info...

http://www.earthporm.com/vending-machin ... -exchange/

The dogs and cats have roamed these streets for many years, and are considered a part of the landscape to those who call Istanbul home. Hamit Yilmaz Ozcan is one of the long-time residents in favor of the stray dogs, “There are the neighborhood’s dogs. They protect us and everyone loves them.” Which means there is all the more reason to recycle water bottles, in aims of helping the dogs have a nice meal to eat.

As of now, the only way the population is controlled is by municipal authorities, who round up the strays to spay or neuter them. They then tag their ear and place them back out on the street.

Yes, TNR (trap/neuter/release) does cost $, but not nearly as much as "private" spay/neuter services. It's assembly-line no frills surgery. Here, cats get ear-tipped and a rabies vaccine when they're spayed/neutered, before being returned to their colonies.

Even if strays were going to be rounded up and executed, it would cost something.

So, spend money to terrorize and execute strays (which would upset the residents and isn't very easy on the people who have to do it, either) or...

...increase recycling rates, keep some litter off the streets and use a portion of the proceeds to provide a bit of food and help fund TNR? Not a hard choice to me. Not a hard choice in a culture that doesn't see all strays as vermin with no right to exist.

How anyone could see this as anything BUT a good thing is just beyond me. There are lots of places in the world that have embraced brutality and cruelty for strays. I'm sure the Ukraine program of rounding up dogs and burning them alive in mobile crematoriums is right up your alley, CM. :g

PostPosted: 12/02/14 10:20 am • # 15 
Administrator

I'm sure the Ukraine program of rounding up dogs and burning them alive in mobile crematoriums is right up your alley, CM.

That was uncalled for.

PostPosted: 12/02/14 10:39 am • # 16 
Administrator

oskar576 wrote:
I'm sure the Ukraine program of rounding up dogs and burning them alive in mobile crematoriums is right up your alley, CM.

That was uncalled for.

Chaos isn't allowed to express HER opinion/interpretation of CM's posts, oskar?

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/02/14 10:54 am • # 17 
Team Irascible sticks together. LOL!!!!

It was my interpretation of CM's solution also, oskar.

PostPosted: 12/02/14 10:56 am • # 18 
Administrator

I read what's actually written.

PostPosted: 12/02/14 11:03 am • # 19 
Administrator

oskar576 wrote:

As did I and Kathy too, oskar ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/02/14 11:10 am • # 20 
Administrator

sooz06 wrote:
oskar576 wrote:

As did I and Kathy too, oskar ~

Sooz

Ok, so where's the part about "burning them alive" or anything that even comes close?

PostPosted: 12/02/14 11:39 am • # 21 
I didn't read in mobile crematoriums (I didn't know there was such a thing)

But this quote
Quote:

Led me to believe rounding them up and executing them.

PostPosted: 12/02/14 12:07 pm • # 22 
Editorialist

If rats/mice are a concern, supporting cat colonies makes sense.

Our shelter has started a feral "barn cat" program, for exactly that reason. Cats that aren't very socialized and wouldn't do well in a home environment get a chance to earn their keep as mousers instead of automatically being executed. Even with a feeding station they'll still catch vermin.

We already kill plenty of dogs and cats in this world every day. Is it too much to ask that we try something different? Can we be human and humane once in a while? Or does killing have to be the answer to every situation?

PostPosted: 12/02/14 12:12 pm • # 23 
Editorialist

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/14139027/ns/h ... H4AbzHF_mg

Dogs being walked were seized from their owners and beaten to death on the spot, the Shanghai Daily newspaper reported. Led by the county police chief, killing teams entered villages at night creating noise to get dogs barking, then beat the animals to death, the reports said.

Owners were offered 63 cents per animal to kill their own dogs before the teams were sent in, they said.

Oh yeah...that's SO much better. :angry

PostPosted: 12/02/14 12:18 pm • # 24 
My nephew's family had two kittens born under their deck, and I said I'd take one. They couldn't catch any so now I guess they will be mousers.

PostPosted: 12/02/14 12:51 pm • # 25 
Administrator

kathyk1024 wrote:
I didn't read in mobile crematoriums (I didn't know there was such a thing)

But this quote
Quote:

Led me to believe rounding them up and executing them.

As opposed to "putting them to sleep"?

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 39 posts ] New Topic Add Reply