It is currently 05/04/24 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: Is it just me, or ...
PostPosted: 12/15/14 1:27 pm • # 1 
Administrator

have others noticed how much more grim the "news" becomes in the few weeks preceding major holidays? ~ :g

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/15/14 2:21 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

Does it really or do we just perceive it as more grim because of the holiday?

Not sure. I can attest to the fact that there are more cheesy movies on preceding Christmas. :b

I did watch a good one that is based on a true story from Montreal. "The Christmas Choir".
Seems a man in Montreal got involved in a men's homeless shelter and formed a choir that performed locally in the subway and then, because of the news coverage, traveled all over the world performing........although the movie doesn't touch on that part. It changed the lives of the men, who managed to get their act together and go on to become contributing members of society, and the "choir" broke up. I don't know if any of the individual stories told in the movie were true and I can't find that sort of detailed information.

PostPosted: 12/15/14 2:42 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Montreal homeless choir disbands
Posted: Jan 03, 2003 12:00 AM ET|
Last Updated: Jan 03, 2003 12:00 AM ET

Melissa Kent, The Arts Report

MONTREAL - Montreal's Accueil Bonneau Choir, an internationally recognized group formed in a homeless shelter, is disbanding due to its success.

The unique choir began six years ago. They've since recorded six albums and performed more than 1,000 live concerts in cities as far away as Paris.

Founder Pierre Anthian, a dental technician and one-time shelter volunteer, helped create the group.

"In the shelter I used to serve lunch and I decided to change my help," said Anthian. "Founding a tool to help them have money, to have dignity, to have confidence."

The men in the choir, mostly recruited from the streets and shelters of Montreal, range in age from 19 to 67. Anthian says many were jobless and homeless, and some suffered from drug addiction and mental illness.

But the choir's success in helping its members has become part of its downfall. Since joining the choir, many of the men have found jobs.

Sister Nicole Fournier of the Accueil Bonneau shelter credits the healing power of music for their turnaround.

"Because that gives them a better image of themselves. Confidence and trust in what they can do," said Fournier.

Fournier says the Accueuil Bonneau shelter will continue to use music to help the homeless but, for now, there are no plans for another choir.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/montreal-ho ... s-1.405022

PostPosted: 12/15/14 2:48 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Link to movie: http://cinema.hdmovieon.com/play.php?movie=1285239

PostPosted: 12/15/14 2:55 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

Thanks for the story and the links. Must be nice to be retired and have so much time to track down old stories! :b j/k You could probably make some money as a researcher.... :tup

PostPosted: 12/15/14 3:24 pm • # 6 
Come to the hospital this time of year.

There ARE more distressing stories. Do you want to hear about the 22 week pregnant woman using 12 bags of heroin a day? It's very nice to know the county jail will let her participate in the methadone program.

PostPosted: 12/15/14 3:30 pm • # 7 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
Thanks for the story and the links. Must be nice to be retired and have so much time to track down old stories! :b j/k You could probably make some money as a researcher.... :tup

Took about 1/2 minute. If it's about Montreal I can probably find it.

PostPosted: 12/15/14 3:39 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

kathyk1024 wrote:
Come to the hospital this time of year.

There ARE more distressing stories. Do you want to hear about the 22 week pregnant woman using 12 bags of heroin a day? It's very nice to know the county jail will let her participate in the methadone program.

Perhaps. Or maybe more people are seeking help because of the holiday or there are more stories published. I don't know what kind of stories sooz is talking about, so I can't really say one way or the other.............

There are plenty of women/people who use that much heroine on a daily basis, not just at Christmas.

There are also many stories of charity and hope, which get buried under the bad news. They don't sell nearly as well.

PostPosted: 12/15/14 6:51 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

I'm at the point where I try to avoid the negative stuff as much as possible since it seems there is so much of it now and it's depressing. My internet surfing has been cut down considerably - I go through my feed reader and one or two favorite sites but that's it. Cat and dog videos and a game - that's it.

PostPosted: 12/15/14 7:18 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

Hiya laffin!! Good to see you again! Listen, it is depressing sometimes, but I miss your witty barbs. If nothing else come in here and post some fun/funny stuff for the rest of us. I know I'd appreciate it. :)

PostPosted: 12/15/14 7:30 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

I must confess that I have fallen down the rabbit hole that is World of Warcraft. started playing a free version in August, got hooked and ended up buying the complete game and have been playing ever since. Yes, I am now that pasty nerd in my (relative's) basement hooked up to the computer. Once in awhile I peep out of the basement to see what's going on in the world.

PostPosted: 12/15/14 8:12 pm • # 12 
Administrator

Let me guess.
You're on a first name basis with the pizza delivery guy. :lol

PostPosted: 12/15/14 9:01 pm • # 13 
Editorialist

No, no pizza. I eat low carb I keep bacon handy.

PostPosted: 12/16/14 5:11 am • # 14 
World of War craft is indeed a rabbit hole--very very addictive though I don't know why since I never played the game. But my granddaughter and I have had major quarrels over her addiction to it since I suspect it interfered with her schooling.

PostPosted: 12/16/14 10:38 am • # 15 
Editorialist

I had never played an MMO (massive-multi player) type of game before because I thought I would have to play with other players and I suck at group endeavors. I'm enjoying WoW because I can do most game quests by myself but there is always the option of joining a group if I want to. The addictive part for me is that I'm playing as a young, able bodied, powerful person, not as the disabled, old fart that I am. It doesn't interfere with anything else going on in my life but I can understand why someone could get caught up in it.

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply