It is currently 04/28/24 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/17/14 10:49 am • # 1 
Administrator

This is causing great dismay from both the right and the left ~ I've never understood the complete breakdown between Cuba and the US ~ it just doesn't make sense to me that the Bay of Pigs episode was the "proverbial last straw" ~ while I think this is a sensible [and over-due] decision, I need to learn more about this ~ Sooz

Obama Abandons Failed Cuba Policy After More Than 50 Years
By Dylan Scott Published December 17, 2014, 11:01 AM EST

The United States intends to open an official embassy in Cuba in the coming months, the White House announced Wednesday, part of a broader normalizing of diplomatic relations after the countries exchanged prisoners.

In a conference call with reporters, a senior administration official called the developments "the most significant changes to our Cuba policy in more than 50 years."

"What we are doing is beginning the normalization of relations of the United States and Cuba," the official said. "President Obama has long believed that engagement is a better tool than isolation and nowhere is that clear than in Cuba, where we have seen a policy of isolation fail for the last 50 years."

The White House said that Obama would order Secretary of State John Kerry to begin discussions with Cuban officials on re-establishing diplomatic relations and high-level discussions and visits between the countries are expected to follow. The opening of the embassy will happen "as soon as possible," an official said, noting that "the decision has been made" to normalize relations. The main issues to be resolved are logistical, the official said.

Other expected changes include increased travel permission for Americans to visit Cuba, an official review of Cuba's current designation as a state sponsor of terrorism and increased coordination between the United States and Cuba on issues like disaster response and drug trafficking.

As for the Cuban embargo, officials said that the White House supports efforts to end it, but knows congressional approval for lifting it is unlikely in the immediate future.

Obama authorized high-level talks between U.S. and Cuban officials in the spring of 2013, senior administration officials said. Deputy national security adviser Ben Rhodes and Ricardo Zúñiga, senior director for the Western Hemisphere on the NSC staff, were the lead administration officials in the talks, which largely took place in Canada, but also included a meeting at the Vatican after Pope Francis urged the countries to "pursue closer relations," an official told reporters. The first face-to-face discussions began in June 2013 and continued through November 2014. Obama and Cuban president Raúl Castro also spoke on the phone on Tuesday before the public announcements.

The officials emphasized that the United States would continue to focus on "democracy and human rights" in its relations with Cuba.

"We fully expect that we'll continue to have strong differences, particularly on democracy and human rights," an official said. "The fact that we are re-establishing diplomatic is frankly a better way in our view of advancing our interest and our values."

Cuba released humanitarian worker Alan Gross and another unnamed U.S. intelligence asset who had been imprisoned for nearly 20 years, while the United States released three jailed Cubans, who were part of the group known as the "Cuban Five."

Independent groups that have advocated for normalizing U.S. diplomatic relations with Cuba praised Wednesday's news.

"This deal is the biggest diplomatic breakthrough between Cuba and the U.S. in 55 years," Sarah Stephens, executive director of the Center for Democracy in the Americas, said in a statement. "This means our countries can work together on issues that affect both nations’ interest and put the results of this breakthrough to work in practical ways."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/obama-united-states-cuba-embassy

PostPosted: 12/17/14 12:35 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Saying "it's complicated" seems to fit here ~ Sooz

Obama's Cuba Deal Splits Congress
Roll Call | Steven Dennis | 2 hrs ago

President Barack Obama’s deal with Cuba, which he will announce at noon, drew praise and sharp criticism on Capitol Hill as the details started to leak out.

Lawmakers cheered the news that Alan Gross had been released from Cuban custody, as the American aid worker headed home, but the deal prompted sharp complaints.

Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., the outgoing chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, torched the deal.

“Let’s be clear, this was not a ‘humanitarian’ act by the Castro regime. It was a swap of convicted spies for an innocent American.

“President Obama’s actions have vindicated the brutal behavior of the Cuban government. There is no equivalence between an international aid worker and convicted spies who were found guilty of conspiracy to commit espionage against our nation. One spy was also convicted of conspiracy to murder for his role in the 1996 tragedy in which the Cuban military shot down two U.S. civilian planes, killing several American citizens. My heart goes out to the American families that lost love ones on that fateful day.”

Menendez said the trade sets a dangerous precedent and will put Americans at risk overseas.

Others were far more supportive.

Sen. Richard J. Durbin, D-Ill., was traveling to meet with Gross upon his return, according to a statement issued from Joint Base Andrews.

“I’m overjoyed to welcome Alan Gross home after five long years in a Cuban prison. Alan’s supposed crime was that he provided Cuba’s small Jewish community with computer equipment to help them access the internet. I have pressed the Cuban government for years to release him,” Durbin said. “I and my staff visited him in prison in 2012 and again earlier this year.”

Durbin also lauded an expected announcement about normalization of trade with Cuba, which is likely to be the more contentious news.

Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., expressed cautious optimism that the deal could thaw relations with Cuba in a statement.

“The success of this monumental development depends on Castro’s willingness to grant basic democratic freedoms for the Cuban people,” he said, referring to Cuban President Raul Castro.

Nelson isn’t sure yet if the embargo with Cuba should be lifted.

“Let’s see if Castro changes the behavior of a brutal police state and provides freedoms for the Cuban people,” he said.

The Associated Press quoted Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Florida, saying the U.S. and Cuba were moving toward normalized banking and trade ties, including opening an embassy.

“This is going to do absolutely nothing to further human rights and democracy in Cuba,” Rubio told the AP. “But it potentially goes a long way in providing the economic lift that the Castro regime needs to become permanent fixtures in Cuba for generations to come.”

But Sen. Bernard Sanders, I-Vt., applauded Obama for beginning discussions to establish full diplomatic relations with Cuba.

“This is a major step forward in ending the 55-year Cold War with Cuba,” he said. “Normal diplomatic relations would mean not only that Americans have the opportunity to visit Cuba, but businesses in Vermont and elsewhere can sell products there.”

Kansas GOP Sen. Jerry Moran was among the first out of the gate. He had led a resolution late last year calling for the Castro regime to release Gross.

“For five years, Alan Gross and his family have endured pain and profound injustice amid his detainment in Cuba. Today, news of Alan’s release brings great relief to his loved ones and to every American who has called for his freedom,” Moran said. “I admire Alan’s strength and that of his wife Judy, who has worked tirelessly for years to free Alan and reunite her family.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/obamas-cuba-deal-splits-congress/ar-BBgUSU5

PostPosted: 12/17/14 1:37 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Cuba is a prime example of the failed US foreign policy.

PostPosted: 12/17/14 1:53 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Which is exactly why Obama is intent on "fixing" it, oskar ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/17/14 2:17 pm • # 5 
Administrator

sooz06 wrote:
Which is exactly why Obama is intent on "fixing" it, oskar ~

Sooz

There a whole lot more to "fix" than that.
The US has voluntarily made itself the enemy of several dozens of countries.

PostPosted: 12/17/14 2:54 pm • # 6 
Administrator

oskar, I'm fairly certain it was you who recently accused another VoC member of always seeing the negative ~ that's what you yourself are doing now/again ~ I choose to give Obama credit for wanting to change those things he can without congressional approval ~

And we've had this discussion before: in my opinion, the US is only an enemy so long as those "several dozen countries" don't want or need something from the US ~

Sooz

* Edited to add the words "in my opinion" ~

PostPosted: 12/17/14 3:38 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

I always thought America's policy towards Cuba was kind of hilarious. We had our honeymoon in Cuba, on the other side of the fence from the characters in a few good men. haha

Big wired fence to keep out all the scary Cubans and chubby Canadians in bathing suits at beach resorts. tee hee

PostPosted: 12/17/14 7:32 pm • # 8 
Administrator

My sister visited Cuba several times already, from Germany. Probably mingled with them chubby Canadians and many other chubbies from around the world.
I can't even get a ticket from Florida to Cuba.
I could rent a boat and go, but couldn't take any of my American friends with me.

I seriously need to visit Cuba before all the Americans get the freedom to travel wherever they wish. :b

PostPosted: 12/17/14 7:39 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

the embargo is stupid. we should end it.

PostPosted: 12/17/14 8:32 pm • # 10 
Seems like the Pope of a Different Stripe had everything to do with this...

Pope Francis Is Credited With a Crucial Role in U.S.-Cuba Agreement

By JIM YARDLEY and GAIA PIANIGIANIDEC. 17, 2014

Pope Francis had quite a 78th birthday. The pontiff began Wednesday with prayers and a birthday celebration with tango dancers near St. Peter’s Square. His day ended with a historic diplomatic breakthrough between Cuba and the United States — and the disclosure that the Argentine pope played a key role as broker.

Francis is being credited for helping bridge the divide by first sending letters to President Obama and President Raúl Castro of Cuba, and then having the Vatican host a diplomatic meeting between the two sides in October.

“The Holy Father wishes to express his warm congratulations for the historic decision,” Francis said in a statement issued Wednesday night by the Vatican.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/world ... roker.html

PostPosted: 12/17/14 8:36 pm • # 11 
Administrator

sooz06 wrote:
oskar, I'm fairly certain it was you who recently accused another VoC member of always seeing the negative ~ that's what you yourself are doing now/again ~ I choose to give Obama credit for wanting to change those things he can without congressional approval ~

And we've had this discussion before: in my opinion, the US is only an enemy so long as those "several dozen countries" don't want or need something from the US ~

Sooz

You mean Iran "needed" to have their democratically elected government overthrown and replaced by a dictator?

* Edited to add the words "in my opinion" ~

PostPosted: 12/18/14 9:10 am • # 12 
Editorialist

in my opinion, the US is only an enemy so long as those "several dozen countries" don't want or need something from the US ~

I sort of agree with Oscar on this. Iran and Cuba are just two examples of America creating it's own enemies. Chile did nothing to the U.S. that would have provoked installing Pinochet. Venezuela has done nothing to the U.S. that could have provoked it into trying to overthrow Hugo Chavez. Grenada didn't deserve to be invaded. Whatever was happening in Nicaraugua was an internal affair and none of Reagan's business. As yucky as Noriega was, he was Panama's problem not Americas.

I've never understood the vehemence with which the U.S. has treated Cuba for so long. It's made nice with two countries that whupped it in war (Vietman and China (Korea)) but, for some reason Cuba hasn't made the cut. Mafia influence in American government perhaps?

PostPosted: 12/18/14 9:22 am • # 13 
Editorialist

jabra2 wrote:
My sister visited Cuba several times already, from Germany. Probably mingled with them chubby Canadians and many other chubbies from around the world.
I can't even get a ticket from Florida to Cuba.
I could rent a boat and go, but couldn't take any of my American friends with me.

I seriously need to visit Cuba before all the Americans get the freedom to travel wherever they wish. :b

LMAO! The general consensus here is "Well there goes the ONE place we could visit that wasn't over-run by American tourists"

I vaguely remember there was some sort of loop-hole where Americans could travel to Cuba via Canada. Buy a ticket to Canada, then when there, buy one to Cuba. I don't think Cuba prevented anyone from entering, no matter what their passport said. I could be wrong........

PostPosted: 12/18/14 9:27 am • # 14 
Editorialist

Americans could travel to Cuba but were not allowed to spend any money there or bring anything back. There were scuba diving excursions out of Florida that would take you to Cuba where you could go on the island and look around.

PostPosted: 12/18/14 9:29 am • # 15 
Administrator

I'm not arguing that the US doesn't have enemies ~ and yes, some by the US's own making ~ what I'm saying is that "enemy status" seems to take a backseat when those "enemies" need something from the US ~

At some point, we all need to learn how to move on from whatever happened in the past ~ and in my opinion, this Obama pronouncement is an enormous step forward ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/18/14 2:26 pm • # 16 
Editorialist

It is a huge step! Now I don't need a Canadian passport to travel to Cuba. :b

lol queen. Sort of hard to stay more than a day, if that, without spending money, eh? Well, unless you pack a lunch........ :lol

PostPosted: 12/19/14 10:42 am • # 17 
Editorialist

Hey Roseanne, no one counts your pocket change or xrays you, so if you had a little media noche you might just get away with it. :angel

PostPosted: 12/19/14 10:59 am • # 18 
Editorialist

At some point, we all need to learn how to move on from whatever happened in the past ~ and in my opinion, this Obama pronouncement is an enormous step forward ~

I agree. I also think there are a lot of people on both sides of the fence who have thought for a long time that relations should be normalized but, politically, only a retiring president could get away with it. The reaction of the right doesn't surprise me but I'll bet they don't close the embassy if they ever occupy the oval office. They'll probably use their majorities to block any ambassadorial appointments for the time being, though.

PostPosted: 12/19/14 11:12 am • # 19 
Administrator

I'm more surprised by the reactions from some on the left, jim ~ :g

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply