It is currently 03/28/24 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/21/14 12:15 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

Whoa! Not something you hear very often. Shootings a crossings, that is...much less a Canadian with a handgun, although I know there are more here now. "Previous encounters with Canadian police"? How the hell did he get a gun?

Canadian man shot by U.S. border guards at Ambassador Bridge crossing

WINDSOR, Ont. – The U.S. border agency says a Canadian man was shot after allegedly pointing a handgun at guards at the Ambassador Bridge crossing between Windsor, Ont., and Detroit.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection says in a statement the man stopped his car before the inspection booth around 3 a.m. Sunday and starting walking towards border officers while waving a gun.

It says the officers ordered him to drop the weapon but that he then pointed it in the officers’ direction, prompting them to open fire.

The agency says the man, who it hasn’t identified, was treated and released from hospital before being taken into custody.

It says the man has had “previous encounters” with Canadian law enforcement.

The statement says border and Department of Homeland Security officials are investigating along with Detroit police.

Spokesman Kris Grogan says no additional information will be released at this time.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1738577/canad ... -crossing/

PostPosted: 12/21/14 1:17 pm • # 2 
Administrator

So far, it all sounds a bit odd to me.

PostPosted: 12/21/14 2:30 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

I agree oskar, but who knows? That crossing is very busy, so there would/should have been multiple witnesses. Maybe suicide by cop for some reason? Maybe just someone who was strung out on meth, acid or something.

PostPosted: 12/21/14 2:33 pm • # 4 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
I agree oskar, but who knows? That crossing is very busy, so there would/should have been multiple witnesses. Maybe suicide by cop for some reason? Maybe just someone who was strung out on meth, acid or something.

The official silence is also quite odd. So unAmerican. ;)

PostPosted: 12/21/14 2:36 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

LOL, since it's a joint investigation, I imagine the Canadian services are putting the kibosh on information. ;)

PostPosted: 12/21/14 2:40 pm • # 6 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
LOL, since it's a joint investigation, I imagine the Canadian services are putting the kibosh on information. ;)

Highly likely. Canucks don't seem too anxious to announce that they don't know shit about what went on.

PostPosted: 12/21/14 3:15 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Canadian shot by U.S. border guards at Ambassador Bridge
Man accused of pointing gun at border guards and previously at police in Windsor
The Canadian Press
Posted: Dec 21, 2014 12:31 PM ET|
Last Updated: Dec 21, 2014 2:18 PM ET

A Canadian man was shot by U.S. border guards after he allegedly pointed a handgun at them at the Ambassador Bridge, an incident that unfolded after the same man reportedly had a confrontation with police at a McDonald’s restaurant in Windsor, Ont.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection said in a statement the man stopped his car before the U.S. inspection booth around 3 a.m. Sunday and starting walking towards border officers while waving a gun.

The officers ordered him to drop the weapon, according to the statement, but the man instead pointed the gun in the officers' direction, prompting them to open fire.

The agency said the man, whose name has not been released, was treated and released from hospital before being taken into custody.

The man has had "previous encounters" with Canadian law enforcement, according to the statement.

Border and Department of Homeland Security officials are investigating, along with Detroit police.

Spokesman Kris Grogan said no additional information will be released at this time.

'Why haven't you shot me yet?'

Shortly before the incident at the border, Windsor police say they were called to a McDonald's parking lot at 2:40 a.m. ET to reports of a man with a gun.

According to a news release, the man got out of his vehicle when officers arrived and had a gun in his hand.

The man allegedly approached the restaurant, at which time police ordered him to drop his weapon.

Police say the man pointed the gun in the direction of the officers and asked, "Why haven't you shot me yet?"

Attempts were being made to de-escalate the situation, police said, but the man got into his vehicle and fled onto the EC Row Expressway.

"Police later learned that the suspect was involved in an incident in the United States with U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officers," according

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/c ... -1.2880736

PostPosted: 12/22/14 6:38 am • # 8 
Administrator

Apparently, it wasn't a real gun but a "replica".

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/c ... -1.2880736

PostPosted: 12/22/14 6:47 am • # 9 
Editorialist

Interesting. He was taunting the police and wanted them to shoot.....and kill maybe.
Of course it was a replica gun! We have monopoly money too. :b

I just wonder how border officers are trained, given this:

Quote:
Two border officers fired their weapons — one once and the other three times. One of the rounds hit the man in the arm.

Very lucky man.

PostPosted: 12/23/14 9:07 am • # 10 
Only 3 shots? The other cops we've been reading about in the news would have filled him with lead!

PostPosted: 12/23/14 10:02 am • # 11 
Administrator

Better trained? better judgement? more intelligent?

PostPosted: 12/23/14 11:02 pm • # 12 
Probably better at arithmetic than I; 4 shots not 3. :o

PostPosted: 12/26/14 2:11 am • # 13 
Editorialist

Cannalee2 wrote:
Only 3 shots? The other cops we've been reading about in the news would have filled him with lead!

Border Services is caught up in budget cuts. They just used up their yearly allotment of ammo. If thye want more they will have to take it out of their pensions.

PostPosted: 12/26/14 9:20 am • # 14 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:
Cannalee2 wrote:

Border Services is caught up in budget cuts. They just used up their yearly allotment of ammo. If thye want more they will have to take it out of their pensions.

Or use slingshots as their back up. :lol

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply