It is currently 05/05/24 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: RIP Booth Colman
PostPosted: 12/21/14 7:22 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

An actor you probably don't recognize by name, but have probably seen dozens of times. The kind of actor I'd love to have been. Steadily employed, but essentially anonymous. He lived the life I would have loved and died the way I hope I die. In his sleep. Not only that, but he mastered 5 languages and more...wow. Well done Mr. Colman, well done.

Actor Booth Colman Dies at 91

Stage, screen and TV actor Booth Colman, who appeared as ape scientist Dr. Zaius in the later films of the original “Planet of the Apes” series, died in his sleep on Dec. 15 in Los Angeles. He was 91.

Colman (pictured above with Lois Laurel, the daughter of Stan Laurel) was a Shakespearean authority who essayed mostly dramatic rather than comedic roles in his long career, especially authority figures such as doctors, clergymen, scientists, lawyers.

While a man with gravitas who in no way could be called a comedian, Colman as a young man came to form a close relationship with the by then elderly Stan Laurel, of classic comic duo Laurel & Hardy.

Colman worked in film — with more than 50 bigscreen appearances — and onstage but was best known for his work on television.

He guested, often multiple times, on series including “Gunsmoke,” “Perry Mason,” “Star Trek,” “The Waltons,” “77 Sunset Strip,” “Route 66,” “The Rifleman,” “Have Gun Will Travel,” “Bonanza,” “Mannix,” “Marcus Welby,” “Mission: Impossible” and “The Untouchables.”

He also appeared in TV comedies including “My Three Sons,” “Hogan’s Heroes,” “I Dream of Jeannie,” “The Monkees,” “The Flying Nun” and, later, “Frasier.” The actor also occasionally settled into recurring roles in such soap operas as “The Young and the Restless” and “General Hospital.”

Colman made his film debut in 1952’s “The Big Sky” and last appeared on the bigscreen in “Norma Rae” in 1979. He worked on Broadway, appearing with the likes of Basil Rathbone and Fredric March, and appeared as Scrooge onstage in “A Christmas Carol” almost every year for decades.

When he was young, Colman studied with the prestigious Maurice Evans company, with which he appeared in “Hamlet.” Eventually the association with Evans led to Booth succeeding Evans in the role of Dr. Zaius in the “Planet of the Apes” series. This popular vehicle brought him continuing acclaim, invitations to appear at film conventions, and fan mail.

Colman was born in Portland, Oregon, and he attended the University of Washington, and also the University of Michigan, where he began his career in mradio. He mastered five languages, then more.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/ac ... ailsignout

Post subject: Re: RIP Booth Colman
PostPosted: 12/21/14 8:53 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I can't picture him but a VERY impressive resume ~ rest in peace, Mr Colman ~ :fl

Sooz

Post subject: Re: RIP Booth Colman
PostPosted: 12/21/14 9:30 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Quote:
I can't picture him

Let me google that for you, Sooz!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Booth+Colman&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=n4-XVKm1O4KjgwSZ5YGIDg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1344&bih=700

:b

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply