It is currently 06/26/24 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 65 posts ]
PostPosted: 03/31/15 10:52 am • # 26 
Administrator

More unintended (or, perhaps, intended?) consequences of Citizens United.

Last edited by Anonymous on 03/31/15 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03/31/15 11:40 am • # 27 
Editorialist

sooz06 wrote:
roseanne wrote:
I weep for my home country. Those who proselytize, who want a theocracy (or at the very minimum an official declaration of the US as a Christian nation), who want to shut down anything that doesn't tow their narrow lines and who rail against Islam and Sharia law are the very ones who are bringing a very similar extremist version of what they fear most. IF they triumph over gays, their fires will burn hotter to proceed with their quest to put women back in their kitchens and nurseries as chattel for the men.

It defies logic.

Excellent post, roseanne ~ but, for me, it goes well beyond "defies logic" and also defies any sense of human decency ~ :g
Sooz

It may defy logic and decency, but it should come as no surprise.

People have thought in these terms as far back as recorded history goes. Once a person believes they have a complete understanding of God and what God wants, that is all that matters to them. They find a certain comfort in thinking they have the answers. It would take a miracle (pun intended) to change their views.

PostPosted: 03/31/15 11:48 am • # 28 
Administrator

Sorry about all the typos, edits, etc. but my vision is deteriorating.

PostPosted: 03/31/15 1:10 pm • # 29 
Editorialist

Pence is getting all kinds of heat about this. can't say that i feel sorry for him.

PostPosted: 03/31/15 2:43 pm • # 30 
Editorialist

Just flicking through the bible to find the bit that say "thou shall not sell stuff to people you believe are sinners".
Can anyone help?

Of course, wouldn't that kind of mean you couldn't sell stuff to anyone?
Not all that good for business really.

I think discriminating about what goods you sell to anyone is rather different though.

PostPosted: 03/31/15 3:05 pm • # 31 
Editorialist

Interesting note: Conservative pundits are jumping all over Pence today because he is asking the legislature to send clarifying legislation making it clear that their "religious freedom" law is not intended to allow discrimination against gays & lesbians. Saying he "caved", calling him a coward, lamenting that the clarification will dilute or negate the original law. That seems to confirm our suspicions about the law's intent, doesn't it?

(http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/41 ... in-hillyer.)

PostPosted: 03/31/15 3:54 pm • # 32 
Administrator

Next on the list is "my church doesn't accept blacks so you can't eat here".

PostPosted: 03/31/15 4:54 pm • # 33 
Editorialist

that is really it, right? this is a limitless principle. divorce is pretty broadly condemned in the Bible. ok to deny service to people who have been divorced?

PostPosted: 03/31/15 5:04 pm • # 34 
Administrator

Deny service to Republicans.

PostPosted: 04/01/15 7:49 am • # 35 
Administrator

oskar576 wrote:
Deny service to Republicans.

DING! DING! DING! ~ oskar posts the winning answer ~ :b

Sooz

PostPosted: 04/01/15 8:06 am • # 36 
Administrator

I admire Steve Benen's restraint ~ Mike Pence can't decide between humoring his puppet masters or grabbing for the gold ring with the public ~ :ey ~ Sooz

Mike Pence’s contradictory assurances
04/01/15 08:44 AM
By Steve Benen

Six days ago, on March 26, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence (R) signed his state’s new “Religious Freedom Restoration Act” into law, and he couldn’t have been more pleased.

Quote:
“Today I signed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, because I support the freedom of religion for every Hoosier of every faith,” the governor said in a statement released shortly after he signed Senate Bill 101.

Three days ago, on March 29, Pence agreed the law may need to be changed.

Quote:
Gov. Mike Pence, scorched by a fast-spreading political firestorm, told The Star on Saturday that he will support the introduction of legislation to “clarify” that Indiana’s controversial Religious Freedom Restoration Act does not promote discrimination against gays and lesbians.

Two days ago, on March 30, Pence reversed course, saying the law would not be changed.

Quote:
“Look, we’re not going to change the law, OK?”

One day ago, on March 31, Pence held a press conference to say the law must be fixed.

Quote:
“Let me say I believe this is a clarification, but it’s also a fix…. We will fix this and we will move forward.”

And then yesterday afternoon, still on March 31, Pence told Fox News’ Sean Hannity the law doesn’t need to be fixed.

Quote:
“I stand by this law. The law doesn’t need to be fixed.”

So, which is it?

Over the course of just six days, Pence has endorsed the law, then endorsed changing the law, then opposed changing the law, then re-endorsed changing the law, only to then oppose changes again.

At this point, I’m a little confused about the Republican governor’s true intentions. Or more to the point, I suspect the governor himself is a little confused about his own intentions.

Looking ahead, Pence vowed yesterday that policymakers would act this week, and it’s a process well worth watching. If the governor’s disjointed rhetoric is any indication, we’re likely to see Indiana Republicans pursue superficial changes that leave the integrity of the right-to-discriminate law intact.

In other words, given Pence’s boast to Hannity last night that the law “doesn’t need to be fixed,” just hours after he told the nation the opposite, the governor may hope to slap a coat of legislative paint on SB101 and declare victory.

Indeed, if you watched Pence’s press conference closely yesterday, there was one word he used 12 times: “perception.” At one point, the governor said, “[T]his is a perception problem.” Later the governor added that he’s determined “to correct the perception that’s taken hold.”

It seems Pence is convinced that there is no real problem with his anti-gay measure; there’s only the appearance of a problem. We should expect, then, a resolution that doesn’t fix the problem, so much as it gives the appearance of fixing the problem.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/mike-pences-contradictory-assurances#break

PostPosted: 04/01/15 9:09 am • # 37 
Editorialist

Quote:
People have thought in these terms as far back as recorded history goes. Once a person believes they have a complete understanding of God and what God wants, that is all that matters to them.

For sure. What I resent is when they want to force their beliefs on an entire state or country, and now seem to making some progress with that.

PostPosted: 04/01/15 9:09 am • # 38 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:

(((((((((oskar)))))))))))

PostPosted: 04/01/15 10:05 am • # 39 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
oskar576 wrote:

It's all part of old poopism.

PostPosted: 04/01/15 11:14 am • # 40 
Administrator

You play, you pay ~ :ey ~ Sooz

TPM LIVEWIRE
Yelp Users Troll Indiana Pizzeria That Refuses To Cater Gay Weddings

By Catherine Thompson Published April 1, 2015, 10:36 AM EDT

Critics of Indiana's anti-gay "religious freedom" bill flooded an Indiana pizzeria's Yelp page with negative reviews Wednesday after its owners reportedly said they would never cater a same-sex wedding.

Crystal O'Connor, whose family owns Memories Pizza in Walkerton, Ind., told local TV station WBND that their religious beliefs would prevent them from catering a same-sex wedding if they were asked to do so. The family later clarified that they would never refuse service to a gay couple who came into the restaurant to eat.

Backlash to O'Connor's comments was swift on the pizzeria's Yelp page, where users uploaded photos of nude or scantily clad men. Users from all over the world who had never visited the establishment, as well as a few locals who had, also criticized the restaurant's food and the owner's attitude.

"Worst pizza I have ever had regardless of the side of bigotry that comes along with it," a user from Granger, Ind. wrote in a review.

"Never have been to your establishment and now never will," another user from Minneapolis wrote. "I hope your blatant example of discrimination closes your doors for good. Shame on you."

"Even outside of this issue, the pizza and service SUCKS!" a user from Crown Point, Ind. wrote.

The restaurant had only two reviews before its owners reportedly spoke with WBND about the new law. Those reviews were decidedly more positive.

"The beef sandwich is fabulous and their personal chicken pizzas are to die for!" a user from Fort Wayne, Ind. wrote in 2013.

"Stopped on our way thru on the way home from Chicago. We both had a $3 6 inch unlimited topping pizza. Really good~ Would stop again," a user from Portland, Ore. wrote in 2012.

Read more of the reviews below:

Screenshots via Yelp.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/memories-pizza-indiana-yelp-reviews

PostPosted: 04/01/15 12:56 pm • # 41 
Editorialist

hope they didn't expect to be rewarded for their "principled stand".

PostPosted: 04/01/15 2:50 pm • # 42 
Administrator

At least some of them don't understand the backlash. After all, they're so effing superior to the rest of us.

PostPosted: 04/01/15 2:58 pm • # 43 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
roseanne wrote:
oskar576 wrote:

It's all part of old poopism.

Even "old poops" need hugs. ;)

PostPosted: 04/01/15 4:05 pm • # 44 
Administrator

Hugs good. I'll have to give some thought to being "parenthesised".

PostPosted: 04/02/15 7:41 am • # 45 
Administrator

What is forcing their hands is NOT the public outcry but, more likely, the threat of enormous lost revenue ~ we'll know what their "fix" is shortly ~ emphasis/bolding below is mine ~ Sooz

TPM LIVEWIRE
Indiana Lawmakers Announce They've Reached Agreement To Alter Law
By Caitlin MacNeal Published April 2, 2015, 9:28 AM EDT

Indiana lawmakers announced on Thursday morning that they have reached an agreement to address concerns that the religious freedom bill would permit discrimination against gays and lesbians.

During a press conference, Indiana House Speaker Brian Bosma (R) and Indiana Senate President Pro Tempore David Long (R) said that they would introduce the changes at 9:30 a.m.

Bosma said that the changes make a "strong statement to assure that every Hoosier's rights are protected, and won't be infringed upon" by the new law.

Long blamed the backlash against the law on the perception of the legislation.

"Most importantly, the change in this will hopefully put an end to this greatest misperception of all, and that is that the people of Indiana discriminate, because I can tell you honestly, nothing could be further from the truth," he said.

According to a report from the Indianapolis Star, the bill will add protections for LGBT individuals by making it clear that businesses cannot use the religious freedom law to defend discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/indiana-announce-agreement-religious-freedom-law

PostPosted: 04/02/15 7:48 am • # 46 
Administrator

The governor of Arkansas did what his boss, Walmart, told him to do.

PostPosted: 04/02/15 8:43 am • # 47 
Editorialist

These two governors and legislatures (IN & AR) are tiptoeing around the truth and trying to disguise it. Why don't they just state the facts by saying,
"Whereas: We, the Christian legislators and Governors of (your state's name here), are aghast at our nation's growing acceptance of homosexuality as a normal human condition that doesn't disqualify people from full participation in society. To us, by God, it is still SIN! Especially the marriage thing!
- And Whereas: The tender religious sensibilities of the pastors and steeple people who voted us into power (and who we hope will finance our next elections) compel us to resist this sinful trend;
- And whereas: Some of the steeple people are going to defy court rulings in favor of homosexuals, and will be sued for it;
- Therefore: We are going to pass a law saying that if we refuse to do business with you, It is for a damn good holy reason, Mr./Ms./Other HomoQueerDeviant, because you're sinning and we don't want any part of that. But do not take offense, it is for your own good, so that you might not be guilty of leading one of us into the sin of appearing to not find you disgusting.
- And therefore: Don't bother suing us.
- And whereas: All the other sinners and their employers across the nation are raising holy hell about this and we are looking like idiots, and it's going to cost us money;
-Therefore: We will also throw in a couple of little tiny caveat-type amendment laws, in which we promise not to do what we intend to do regarding doing business with you. You may ignore these. We certainly will.

Amen.

PostPosted: 04/02/15 9:04 am • # 48 
Administrator

And a Hally-loo-yah to you too, brother!
Now pass me that scatter gun, will ya?

PostPosted: 04/02/15 9:44 am • # 49 
Administrator

GREAT post, gramps! ~ :st ~ and terrific response from oskar ~ :st

Sooz

PostPosted: 04/02/15 10:35 am • # 50 
Editorialist

“I think it’s important we have a sense of perspective,” [Senator Tom] Cotton said. “In Iran they hang you for the crime of being gay.”

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2015/04/02/3642060/senator-says-critics-indiana-get-perspective-thankful-state-doesnt-execute-gays/

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 65 posts ] New Topic Add Reply