It is currently 06/18/24 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
PostPosted: 02/27/15 9:36 am • # 1 
Administrator

The bigotry and backwardness of this gives me a headache and makes me both angry and sad ~ :g ~ Sooz

South Carolina college bans homosexuality after athletes come out as gay
David Ferguson | 27 Feb 2015 at 09:39 ET

A rural South Carolina college is attempting to ban homosexuality among its students after two of the school’s volleyball players came out as gay.

OutSports.com reported that Erskine College issued a policy statement that the college is officially opposed to same-sex relationships because it isn’t part of “God’s intended design for humanity.”

Last year, two players on the Erskine volleyball team, Drew Davis and Juan Verona, went public with the fact that they are gay men. The team went on to play against the top teams in the nation at the NCAA tournament.

Now, Erskine officials are attempting to make certain that any other LGBT students at the college know that the school does not welcome them.

The school’s “Statement on Human Sexuality,” issued late last week, said “We believe the Bible teaches that all sexual activity outside the covenant of marriage is sinful and
therefore ultimately destructive to the parties involved,” and continued:

Quote:
Christ affirms that marital union is to be between a man and woman (Matt 19:4-6). The Bible teaches that monogamous marriage between a man and a woman is God’s intended design for humanity and that sexual intimacy has its proper place only within the context of marriage (1 Thes. 4:3-5, Col. 3:5-7). Sexual relations outside of marriage or between persons of the same sex are spoken of in scripture as sin and contrary to the will of the Creator (Rom. 1:26-27; 1 Cor. 6:9-10; 1 Tim. 1:9-11).

We believe the Bible teaches that all sexual activity outside the covenant of marriage is sinful and therefore ultimately destructive to the parties involved. As a Christian academic community, and in light of our institutional mission, members of the Erskine community are expected to follow the teachings of scripture concerning matters of human sexuality and institutional decisions will be made in light of this position.

The college’s website said that it intends to “add the statement to its official manuals and determine how it will be integrated into campus culture and procedures.”

Varona told OutSports, “The release of this statement makes me disappointed because I have never received anything but kind treatment from everyone at this school, and my sexual orientation is no secret. So it took me by surprise.”

He went on to say, “(T)he school took several steps back instead of progressing towards a future where everyone can be treated as an equal” and that “it just made me sad and worried for other gay people who might be struggling with confidence to come out.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/south-carolina-college-bans-homosexuality-after-athletes-come-out-as-gay/

PostPosted: 02/27/15 9:42 am • # 2 
Administrator

Obama needs to sign a Presidential Order that makes it illegal for any federal funds to be given to any such bigoted/xenophobic/racist groups. Maybe he already has.
If they still don't "get it", they lose their tax-exempt status.

PostPosted: 02/27/15 10:21 am • # 3 
Editorialist

I agree oskar. No funds for any university or college that promotes bigotry of any kind.

Do they really think banning it will end it? Will these people suddenly think "I need to be hetero"? Sheesh

PostPosted: 02/27/15 2:50 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

That sounds like bigotry against bigots Rose ;)

PostPosted: 02/27/15 5:24 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

Cattleman wrote:
That sounds like bigotry against bigots Rose ;)

Damn straight! :b

PostPosted: 02/27/15 6:00 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

But, but, but ....

If you are bigoted against bigots then that means you are a bigot, which means you are bigoted against yourself, so you are both a bigoter and a bigotee, and if the federal Government is bigoted against bigots then that means they can't fund themselves, because they are bigots and .... :eek2

PostPosted: 02/27/15 6:14 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Cattleman wrote:
But, but, but ....

If you are bigoted against bigots then that means you are a bigot, which means you are bigoted against yourself, so you are both a bigoter and a bigotee, and if the federal Government is bigoted against bigots then that means they can't fund themselves, because they are bigots and .... :eek2

... ah, the foibles of circular logic.

PostPosted: 02/27/15 6:53 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

Nah! Its not circular logic, its a circular position.

PostPosted: 02/27/15 7:12 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Quote:
We believe the Bible teaches that all sexual activity outside the covenant of marriage is sinful

That oughta go over well with the non-gay students, too. :D

PostPosted: 02/27/15 8:37 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Now that gays can marry that argument goes out the window.

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply