It is currently 06/18/24 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
PostPosted: 03/04/15 10:52 am • # 1 
Editorialist

I will post part of the article. There is audio of the recorded call at the link. Wow. This sort of reminds me of a collection call from a department store (their credit card)many years ago. Young daughter (8) answered phone, the person told her that I was a thief and stole the new clothes she was wearing. He had her in tears before I could grab the phone and give him a piece of my mind.

'Microsoft tech support' scammer recorded threatening to kill B.C. man

The "Microsoft tech support" scam is now the biggest telephone ripoff in Canada — but as B.C. man Jakob Dulisse found, callers are using increasingly nasty tactics to steal our money.

Dulisse of Nelson, B.C., decided to take matters into his own hands two weeks ago, turning the tables on a man falsely claiming to be calling from California to offer Microsoft tech support.

"He wanted to get on to my computer to show me how badly corrupt it was and [said] he would fix it from there," Dulisse told Go Public.

"It became pretty obvious from the start that this was a scammer … a lot of red flags went up. He kind of mumbled his last name, sort of mumbled the business name. It was obviously not a legitimate call."

Dulisse played along for a while, secretly recording the conversation and questioning the caller, asking if he was really from Microsoft and really calling from California.

The caller became irritated, but it wasn't until Dulisse asked why the man would try to steal from unsuspecting people that the conversation took what Dulisse calls a "sinister turn."

"He started getting kind of nasty and angry.

"He admitted that he was in India … and then he said, 'If you come to India, you know what we do to Anglo people?' I said, 'No.'

"He said, 'We cut them up in little pieces and throw them in the river."

But it didn't end there. The scammer knew Dulisse's full name and Canadian address, telling him he would send someone to his home to kill him.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.2980453

PostPosted: 03/04/15 11:16 am • # 2 
Administrator

Whenever I'm unsure/suspicious I ask for a 'phone number so I can call them back. They nearly always hang up.

I also blow a police-type whistle into the 'phone. They actually cause pain to the listener and can damage eardrums.

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply