It is currently 06/26/24 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Another One in Hot Water
PostPosted: 03/12/15 4:13 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Aaron Schock avoids answering questions about spending

Washington (CNN)—Congressman Aaron Schock, R-Illinois, avoided questions Wednesday concerning reports that he's used taxpayer money to fund lavish trips and events, as the controversy surrounding the Illinois Republican's spending habits continues to build.

Asked by CNN's Drew Griffin to explain "the lavish lifestyle you have been leading on the backs of taxpayers and political donors," Schock refused to answer questions specifically on the controversy until an internal review is completed.

"I would say this — as I have said before, I take the law and my compliance very seriously. And based on the team of professionals I have hired to review my office's processes and procedures — including the former head of the Federal Election Commission — and that review is ongoing, and I am not going to comment further until that review is complete," he said.

"I would just say," he added, "in the meantime, I am focusing on doing what I do best, which is focusing on delivering for the people of the 18th District."

Schock ignored follow-up questions, hopped in his SUV and drove off.

While recently he's claimed he's not sure if he broke any ethics rules with his expensive trips, back in 2010 when he appeared on Top Chef to talk about finger foods, he sounded like something of an ethics expert.

Season 7 of the Bravo series was partly filmed in the nation's capital and the episode in question challenged contestants to make food to be served on a toothpick. The more than 400-page House Ethics Manual includes several pages on the type of food served at functions. At receptions, generally speaking, so-called nonmeal foods like coffee, pastries, hors d'oeuvres and appetizers are acceptable as long as they are of nominal value.

"When you become a new member of Congress and win your election, the first day is spent on ethics," Schock explained to the contestants. "Believe it or not, a good portion of that discussion is about food. Basically, the Ethics Committee wants to make sure that there's not too much undue influence between the elected officials and the paid lobbyists here in Washington, D.C."

Mediaite first reported on the congressman's ethics comments on the show.

Schock's expertise when it comes to house ethics rules is now in question. When asked during an interview with Politico in Peoria, Illinois, on Tuesday, whether he thought he had broken any rules or federal laws, the 33-year-old said, "Well, I certainly hope not."

The fourth-term congressman has been facing scrutiny over his use of taxpayer and campaign funds to pay for flights on private jets -- including planes owned by key donors -- concert tickets and other entertainment expenses. He's also under fire for lapses in reporting some of his expenses. He has hired a public relations team as well as a pair of lawyers William McGinley and Donald McGahn to review the compliance procedures in his official office, campaign and leadership PAC to decide whether they can be improved. That review is ongoing.

While declining to comment on some of the reports, Schock's PR team has taken issue with the accuracy of others, like a Politico story on Monday that said Schock had reported on federal campaign finance documents that he spent more than $3,000 on software when in fact the money was part of the cost of a flight in a software executive's private plane to a Chicago Bears game and his district.

"We believe the characterization of the certain activities discussed in the Politico story are factually inaccurate," said a Schock spokesman. "The review of Congressman Schock's official office, campaign and leadership PAC compliance procedures is ongoing and includes the issues discussed in the Politico story. While the review is ongoing, however, we are not in a position to comment on any of the specifics and have no further comment at this time."

The left-leaning Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington has made three separate requests to the Office of Congressional Ethics to investigate Schock. The office will not comment on the allegations, but Schock is already facing an ethics inquiry in the House over an accusation he broke fundraising rules and federal law in 2012 by soliciting higher-than-allowed contributions for a political committee.

While Schock serves a heavily GOP district, he could face a primary challenge. Mark Zalcman plans to seek the Republican nomination for the 18th district seat Schock holds. Zalcman, a lawyer who believes the country has "turned away from God", told CNN he noticed the negative Schock headlines and decided to jump in the race.

"I'm actively campaigning," he said. "I have been interested in politics for a while. I'm not just an opportunistic person seeing an opening."

Zalcman, who said he would be running to the right of Schock and that the national debt would be a key issue for him, criticized the congressman's recent vote to fund the Department of Homeland Security. He also said he would better represent the district because he is more "relatable" than Schock.

"I don't think he [Schock] represents the values of our district very well," Zalcman said. "He seems to be more interested in raising a lot of money and traveling to Saudi Arabia. This is a farming area and people here would rather see a more down to earth person."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/11/politics/ ... index.html?

PostPosted: 03/14/15 9:50 am • # 2 
Administrator

Aaron Schock has been in the House for a number of years, so he should know the basic legalities and no-nos ~ but he has morphed into PacMan, careening from one misstep to the next ~ :g

Sooz

PostPosted: 03/17/15 1:24 pm • # 3 
Administrator

The water's boiling, now.

Aaron Schock, US lawmaker with 'Downton office,' resigns

Mr Schock, 33, is under fire for his lavish spending, using public funds on donor-provided private flights and property transactions involving political contributors.

A congressional ethics investigation was reportedly underway.

The Republican from Illinois has served in Congress since 2009.

In a statement, Mr Schock said he would step down on 31 March, and was doing so with a "heavy heart".

"Constant questions over the last six weeks have proven a great distraction that has made it too difficult for me to serve the people of the 18th District with the high standards that they deserve and which I have set for myself," Mr Schock said, according to Politico, which first reported the story.

Mr Schock was the focus of a Washington Post story about his congressional office, which was decorated in the style of Downtown Abbey.

While Mr Schock repaid the government $40,000 (£28,500) for the office renovation, it was the first in a series of increasingly serious headlines about his spending of public and campaign funds.

The Associated Press used geolocated data from the Illinois' lawmakers Instagram account and his flight records to pin the congressman for more than $40,000 of expenses taken to cover the cost of private flights.

While that is within the rules of Congress to use office funds in this way, it was not in 2013, the year investigated by the AP.

Separately, Mr Schock came under scrutiny for multiple property deals closely related to political donors.

On Monday the AP confirmed that the Office of Congressional Ethics had reached out to Schock's associates to interview them.

And Politico reported on Tuesday Mr Schock billed the federal government and his campaign for 170,000 miles (274,000km) on a personal vehicle over four years. But the vehicle only had about 80,000 miles recorded when he returned it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-31927270#

PostPosted: 03/17/15 2:58 pm • # 4 
Administrator

GOOD RIDDANCE!!! ~ given where he's from in Illinois [Peoria], I'd be very surprised if anyone other than another GOP/TPer is elected to replace him whenever the-powers-that-be get around to staging a special election ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 03/17/15 4:23 pm • # 5 
Administrator

He is pretty much admitting to fraud by stepping down.

PostPosted: 03/17/15 9:13 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
He is pretty much admitting to fraud by stepping down.

He had no choice, probably. Would have been censured, become an lingering embarrassment to Repubs. Would have been pushed out.

PostPosted: 03/17/15 9:26 pm • # 7 
Administrator

By resigning, he avoids a "House ethics investigation" ~ but my local news just said he could be facing federal charges ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 03/17/15 9:31 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

Good.

Last edited by grampatom on 03/18/15 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03/18/15 5:55 pm • # 9 
Administrator

This dear-old-dad is not much of a role model ~ :ey ~ Sooz

TPM LIVEWIRE
Rep. Schock's Dad: 'Two Years From Now He’ll Be Successful, If He’s Not In Jail'
By Catherine Thompson Published March 18, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT

Disgraced Rep. Aaron Schock's (R-IL) father said Wednesday that he believes his son will emerge unscathed from the storm of ethical and legal problems plaguing him -- unless he winds up in jail.

"If they're going to convict him on paperwork, they're going to convict him. That's their privilege," Dr. Richard Schock told Chicago TV station WLS. "If it's the law, and he broke the law and they want to convict him on that -- fine."

The congressman announced Tuesday that he would resign effective March 31. He cited weeks of media inquiries into his finances as "a great distraction that has made it too difficult for me to serve the people of the 18th District with the high standards that they deserve and which I have set for myself."

The congressman's father told the news station that he himself had been audited by the IRS several times, so he knew something of what his son was going through. He then suggested his son may have broken the law with respect to mileage reimbursement.

"I don't know what they have on him. I know that it's hard to keep records," Schock said. "I'm a doctor. I take mileage deductions. I don't keep mileage records on every mile I drive to the nursing homes and to the hospitals, etc. I know its a law -- so yeah, he's broke the law."

Politico reported that the congressman's resignation came in response to its inquiries into tens of thousands of dollars in mileage reimbursements he received for his personal car.

Schock told WLS that he didn't think the fallout from mounting financial scandals would dog his son into the future. But even as he voiced that sentiment, he caught himself.

"Two years from now he'll be successful -- if he's not in jail," Schock said.

A reporter asked the doctor if he was saying that his son was headed for legal trouble.

"Could be. I don't know," Schock said, adding that it was up to the Justice Department to decide his son's fate.

[Video accessible via end link]

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/aaron-schock-dad-success-jail

PostPosted: 03/18/15 6:56 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

Quote:
Schock told WLS that he didn't think the fallout from mounting financial scandals would dog his son into the future. But even as he voiced that sentiment, he caught himself.

"Two years from now he'll be successful -- if he's not in jail," Schock said.

Yeah. Jail time sort of dogs you into the future.........lmao

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply