It is currently 06/26/24 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
PostPosted: 03/30/15 5:56 am • # 1 
Editorialist

Bravo! No shaming involved really, just a way to correct her children's behavior. Similar to the neighborhood/school "Mom grapevine" of my youth, but using social media. It's a great lesson on so many levels. The kids have learned that other people "have a story" which might not be a good one and their behavior made things worse. The son is to be commended. First for being a chaperone to a movie for younger kids and secondly for telling his mom.

After her kids misbehave, Alabama mom uses social media to set things right

When Kyesha Smith Wood dropped her three kids off at a Bessemer movie theater to see Cinderella this weekend, she didn't know it would turn into a story seen by thousands online.

After the kids arrived home, Wood learned from her 16-year-old son that her daughter and step-daughter were "rude and obnoxious" during the movie to a woman who tried to correct their behavior.

Wood, who said she was "disappointed and ashamed" of their behavior, took to Facebook to try to connect with the woman so her girls could apologize.

Wood said she and her husband had the kids write an apology letter, and they wanted to pay for the woman's next movie and snacks out of their allowance.

The post quickly spread on Facebook, shared by tens of thousands of people, and made its way to Rebecca Boyd, the mom in the theater.

"...After I read it I was touched that she cared how her kids behaved," Boyd said. "You don't see that a lot these days."

She never expected her post to get the attention it has, but Wood and her husband desperately wanted to correct the situation at hand.

"I had the girls say a prayer for their family," Wood said when she learned what happened. "I had a conversation with them explaining the severity of their situation, and what it means to be compassionate for other people. We just felt so bad and we wanted to make it right."

Wood said her girls are embarrassed, but they understand their parents' intention was never to humiliate them. Her son has been encouraged to "continue doing the right thing."

She thinks the immense response to her post is due to disillusionment in parenting and "this generation of kids," who might be seen as entitled or disrespectful of authority. When she and Boyd connected, they discussed the respect they have for each other as fellow moms.

"I thanked her for correcting my girls in my absence and letting them know that they were wrong," Wood said. "A lot of times people get nervous about saying something to a stranger's kids. But it takes a village to raise our kids. We as a community need to hear this, that there are parents out there who still believe in old-fashioned methods."

Despite all the attention she has received, Wood said the "real hero" in the situation is Boyd, who she calls a "great mom."

"[I've learned] that as parents we need to support each other," Boyd said of the situation. "The girls are not bad, they made bad choices. I am overwhelmed by all the love and support! This is something my daughter Ashley and I will never forget."

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index ... cart_river

PostPosted: 03/30/15 7:29 am • # 2 
Administrator

Terrific! ~ both moms took a chance and I'm happy it worked out as it did ~ hopefully, all the kidlets learned an important lesson ~

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply