It is currently 06/26/24 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Jon Stewart's successor
PostPosted: 03/30/15 7:20 am • # 1 
Administrator

I love the Comedy Central prez's comment that "You don’t hope to find the next Jon Stewart – there is no next Jon Stewart." ~ but I'm willing to bet Jon Stewart had a great amount of input on this decision, and he is certainly laudatory about Trevor Noah's skills [see below] ~ I also love Jon dangling the carrot that he "... may rejoin as a correspondent just to be a part of it!!!" ~ Sooz

TPM LIVEWIRE
Trevor Noah To Succeed Jon Stewart As 'The Daily Show' Host
By Caitlin MacNeal Published March 30, 2015, 8:23 AM EDT

Comedian Trevor Noah will succeed Jon Stewart as the host of "The Daily Show," the New York Times reported on Monday.

Stewart announced in February that he would be leaving the show, and will step down as host later this year.

Noah, a South African comedian who has appeared on "The Daily Show" three times, told the Times about his promotion over the phone from Dubai.

"You don’t believe it for the first few hours," he said. "You need a stiff drink, and then unfortunately you’re in a place where you can’t really get alcohol."

In a statement to the Times, Stewart said he was "thrilled" that Noah would succeed him as host.

"He’s a tremendous comic and talent that we’ve loved working with," Stewart said in the statement.

Stewart added that he "may rejoin as a correspondent just to be a part of it!!!"

In an interview with the Times, Comedy Central President Michele Ganeless said that after an extensive search, the network decided Noah was "the best person for the job."

"You don’t hope to find the next Jon Stewart – there is no next Jon Stewart. So, our goal was to find someone who brings something really exciting and new and different," she said.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trevor-noah-host-daily-show

PostPosted: 03/30/15 7:31 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Very interesting choice! He's very young and hasn't been a comic for that many years, I think. I saw a trailer of his one man show "Daywalker" from 2009, in which he said he had only been doing comedy for 2 years. I think it's a good choice. Fresh perspective.

lol, from the clip on IMDb, "My mom is white, a Swiss. My Dad is black (couldn't understand the country...his accent). My Mom was like "Yea, I have a white man". My Dad.....well the Swiss like chocolate".. lmao

**edited to add: I got that bassackwards :o , but you get the gist. Watch at link. Scroll down.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3696388/?ref_=nv_sr_1

PostPosted: 03/30/15 6:45 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Here's a longer version of his comedy at the Apollo. As with many comics, his comedy comes from pain. The pain of Apartheid for him. Sad.

jab, you will appreciate his "German" comedy.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply