It is currently 09/27/24 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Countering the hate
PostPosted: 04/01/15 7:12 am • # 1 
Administrator

I love this! ~ :st :st :st ~ Sooz

Oakland A’s pitcher and girlfriend make the save after backlash to team’s LGBT Pride event
Arturo Garcia / 31 Mar 2015 at 20:03 ET

Oakland Athletics pitcher Sean Doolittle and his girlfriend, Eireann Dolan, stepped in to head off what she described as a negative response to the team’s first LGBT Pride Night this coming season, the San Jose Mercury News reported.

Late last week, Dolan offered to buy tickets for the A’s June 17th game against San Diego, saying several season ticket holders were refusing to attend and trying to sell their tickets because they were uncomfortable with the event.

“If you’d like to sell your tickets to June 17th’s LGBT Pride Night game, I will buy them from you at face value. As many as I can. No judgments. No questions asked,” she wrote on her blog. “From there, I will donate any tickets I purchase to the Bay Area Youth Center’s Our Space community for LGBTQ youth.”

She revealed in the post that her biological mother is part of a same-sex couple living in San Diego.

“In fact I’m starting to suspect that the Athletics focus-grouped this event idea with just my two moms and nobody else,” she wrote. “It couldn’t be any more perfectly tailored to my moms than if the team announced that NPR’s Terry Gross will also be throwing out the first pitch and there will be a free notepad giveaway on which my moms can write down all of the reasons I should have majored in something more practical in college.”

On Monday, Dolan said, Doolittle agreed to match her donations up to $3,000. She also started an online fundraising campaign to purchase more seats to donate to the youth center group.

The campaign surpassed its initial goal of $6,000 as of Tuesday evening, prompting her to raise the goal to $10,000. As of publication, the campaign had raised just over $8,000. In response, Dolan said, the team has opened up three additional seating sections for tickets purchased with the donations.

The team said in a statement that some of the proceeds from the event will be donated to two local LGBT advocacy groups, Frameline and AIDS Project East Bay.

The team will also honor former Athletic Glenn Burke, the first major-leaguer to announce that he was gay. Burke died in 1995.

Dolan posted a picture online of rainbow-colored wristbands that will be available for ticket buyers sitting at field level, which can be seen [via the end link].

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/oakland-as-pitcher-and-girlfriend-make-the-save-after-backlash-to-teams-lgbt-pride-event/

Post subject: Re: Countering the hate
PostPosted: 04/01/15 10:11 am • # 2 
Editorialist

I read a story about it this morning that brought tears to my eyes. Especially the last line.
It is the text of a letter Dolan wrote making her offer.

Dear season ticket holders who wish to sell their tickets for LGBT Pride Night,

Everybody is entitled to their own beliefs and as long as nobody is getting hurt, I'm happy. I also can't stop you from selling your tickets. I won't tell you that you are wrong or that you are not allowed to think or act that way.

We live in a free country, after all. You are free to think and say and do whatever you'd like. In fact just this morning I used my freedom to eat yogurt with a steak knife because I ran out of clean spoons (because SOMEone forgot to turn on the dishwasher last night). Who was going to stop me? That's right. Nobody. Nice try bin Laden.

I ended up cutting the corner of my mouth on the knife, and it wasn't one of my brightest decisions. But I may have just invented a DIY smile enhancement. And I will sue you if you steal my idea. #America

I digress. So, A's fans; if attending a baseball game on LGBT Pride Night makes you at all uncomfortable, it is probably a good idea to sell your tickets. And I have the perfect buyer. ME!

If you'd like to sell your tickets to June 17th's LGBT Pride Night game, I will buy them from you at face value. As many as I can. No judgments. No questions asked.

From there, I will donate any tickets I purchase to the Bay Area Youth Center's Our Space community for LGBTQ youth.

That way you don't have to feel uncomfortable, and the seats don't go to waste. It's win-win.

Please tweet at me (@EireannDolan) if you'd like to sell me your tickets. I'll purchase as many unwanted tickets as I can out of my own pocket. I also encourage other A's fans to do the same. Let's fill the stands that night!

Love,

Eireann and my hella gay moms

Post subject: Re: Countering the hate
PostPosted: 04/01/15 6:43 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I very much like Eireann's mindset, her sense of inclusion, her humor, and especially spending her money where it matters ~ if she makes just a few others think, she's made a real difference ~

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply