It is currently 05/11/24 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next   Page 1 of 12   [ 279 posts ]
 Post subject: Bruce says ...
PostPosted: 05/27/15 7:12 am • # 1 
Administrator

I've posted a few times how much I like, relate to, and am impressed by my FB friend Bruce Lindner, so this thread is a way to showcase how his mind works ~ Bruce also is a contributor to a couple of liberal/progressive blogs ~ everyone is, of course, welcome to comment on anything posted here ~

Sooz

Post subject: Re: Bruce says ...
PostPosted: 05/27/15 7:20 am • # 2 
Administrator

One of the favorite current GOP/TPer memes ~ :ey ~ the last paragraph snaps everything into perspective! ~ Sooz

Why Hasn’t Obama Fixed the Income Gap?
May 26, 2015 | Posted by: Bruce Lindner

The 1950s—1960s: unparalleled economic expansion and job growth. Tax rates for the top earners under Ike, JFK, LBJ and even Nixon ranged between 70% and 90%. The post-war middle class was an economic dynamo of production and consumption.

1980s: Enter the “Conservative Movement.” Reagan cuts top tax rates touting “trickle down” theory. Top rates now under 30%. Economy falters, unemployment skyrockets to 10.5%. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, minorities suffer disproportionately. Reluctantly, Reagan increases taxes elsewhere, the economy perks back up. Conservative cult of Reagan worship still barf-worthy three decades later.

1990s: Bill Clinton raises top tax rates to nearly 40%. Economy once again soars. Clinton oversees the longest sustained period of job growth in decades. Leaves incoming Cheney/Bush administration with a plump budget surplus which they promptly piss away.

2000s: Boy genius President George W. Bush thinks that where Reagan went wrong was that he shouldn’t have raised taxes at all. So it’s trickle down time 2.0. He drops the top rate to 33%, hands two massive tax cuts to the top earners, fails to fund them, wages two wars and doesn’t pay for either, pushes through prescription drug bill written by (and for) the drug companies, puts that on credit too, housing bubble bursts, home prices go South, Detroit goes bust. Deficit balloons like Limbaugh’s waistline at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

• Dick Cheney tells Bush: “Remember what Reagan taught us. Deficits don’t matter.”

2008: The Great Recession begins—U.S. economy has stalled—America bleeds 775,000 jobs per month. Everyone suffers EXCEPT the wealthy, whose share of the pie increases dramatically. The top 1/10th of 1% richest Americans suddenly own a quarter of all wealth, while wealth declined nearly 7% for everyone else. Median net worth of upper class Americans was 40 times than that of the average working class American when Bush stumbled into power, increasing to 90 times higher when the Obama tax increase battle began.

2008: Barack Obama elected. On Inauguration Day 2009, Obama’s first day in office, GOP leaders plot in private to finalize plans to oppose everything he does, no matter how much damage is done to the nation.

2009: With zero support from GOP, the new President signs stimulus package. Economic bleeding slows. Detroit rescued, along with over 1 million American jobs. A second “Great Depression” is staved off. Obama pushes Congress to raise taxes on the wealthy. Congress moans like a rusty siren but eventually acquiesces in a “deal.” By 2015 the deficit is cut by two-thirds from where it was in 2008.

SIDEBAR: Cat catches 100 million Republican tongues simultaneously!

The economy has rebounded for everyone except the lower and lower-middle classes, while the rich continue to get richer almost exponentially.

• Congressman Paul Ryan insists: “Cutting tax rates for the wealthy should be a higher priority than raising the child tax credit for middle class and low-income Americans.”

May 2015: The GOP asks why Barack Obama hasn’t done more for the middle class, insisting THEY are the party who can best restore it.

So the party that conspired to destroy the first African-American President’s legacy on day one, that’s been openly courting industry over labor for the better part of a century, who refers to the unemployed, the downtrodden as “takers,” as “moochers,” as that “47% who believe they’re victims,” who’ve been legislating on behalf of Charles and David Koch, who ignore and undermine social programs in inner city neighborhoods, who gerrymander districts to suppress the will of the electorate, who manipulate polling places in minority neighborhoods on behalf of their candidates, who seat Justices that empower the wealthy at the expense of the poor, who push through bills that rob from the destitute for the sake of billionaires, who introduce legislation harmful to the environment, to women’s interests, to minority interests, to the interests of peace, stability, to national and international unity for 60 goddamn years…suddenly wants to know what Barack Obama’s gonna do about the income gap that they themselves created?

You can’t make it up!

http://www.blue-route.org/blog/blog/economy/hasnt-obama-fixed-income-gap/

PostPosted: 05/27/15 7:23 am • # 3 
Administrator

Somebody's been paying attention to Bernie Sanders.

PostPosted: 05/31/15 10:30 am • # 4 
Administrator

These insightful, poignant, and eloquent words are from a FB post by my friend Bruce ~ his thoughts were forced by the untimely and extremely sad death of Beau Biden in his prime, and mostly speak to Jill and Joe Biden's remarkable/enviable mindset and influence ~ the last sentence is especially touching ~ Sooz

"This is one of those pictures that's worth a thousand words. And it's what I love about Joe Biden. His greatest achievement is his family. Here he is, standing before millions of viewers locked in a full embrace with his late son Beau, not the least bit self-conscious about displaying his emotions in public. Politicians tend to be a cynical, superficial lot, often talking up the "family values" rhetoric when it's expedient, but not in private (a certain overly-worshipped president from the '80s comes to mind). But that's not the case with Joe. How do we know this? By looking at this picture of Beau. He wasn't the least bit reluctant to reciprocate, because that's how he was raised: To suspend embarrassment and defer to love of family.

The right likes to snicker at Joe Biden and call him an empty suit (amongst other things), but that's hardly the case. What they're mistaking for shallowness, is sincerity. Sure, he's made his share of gaffes, as have all politicians with careers going back four decades. But that's because he's unfiltered. He tells it like it is, whether the mics are hot or not. He's the real deal, and that sort of authenticity doesn't register with those who choreograph their every move — and I'm talking about with both liberals and conservatives.

From everything I've read about Beau, he and Jill instilled TRUE family values upon him and the rest of the family, and they in turn upon the next generation. Beau was every bit the all-American hero. A veteran who served his country admirably, a loving husband, and perhaps most important of all, an attentive father. And had Joe and Jill Biden not been the quintessential parents, that would likely not have been the case.

My heartfelt condolences to the entire Biden family. And my eternal admiration to Joe and Dr. Biden for their sincerity and exemplary parenting skills. Beau Biden was robbed of the pleasure of watching his children grow into adulthood, but he still left his mark on their young lives; and they'll be better citizens for it. The candle that burns half as long, burns twice as bright."

PostPosted: 06/01/15 8:40 am • # 5 
Administrator

My #4 post above was later published at The Blue Route blog under the title of "Tribute to the Second Family" ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 06/21/15 9:57 am • # 6 
Administrator

Another terrific FB post by Bruce ~ Sooz

Bruce Lindner wrote:
I went to the NRA website this morning to see if they'd issued a statement of sorrow, or any comment at all regarding the Charleston massacre. Nothing. Zip. Not an utterance. Because you know: "now is not the time."

But I was taken aback by the slickness of the marketing strategy on their site. They've got one of those windows where various images scroll by every few seconds, so I snagged these three.

Top panel: Colonel Oliver North, openly accusing the President of the United States of cowardice. Yes, THAT Oliver North. The Fox News contributor who lied to Congress (under oath) about his involvement in the Iran-Contra scandal, which amongst other things secretly sold missiles to the Ayatollah of Iran, channeled the proceeds of that illegal deal to the Contra terrorists (oops, I mean "patriots" according to Ronald Reagan), and poured Contra brand cocaine into the streets of Miami. What a hero! That this traitor has the audacity to even mention "radical Islam," let alone accuse Barack Obama of lacking courage is the height of hypocrisy — all at the behest of the NRA, who thus far lack the courage to address our most recent national tragedy.

Center panel: Who do you think this is intended to appeal to, the average 60 year old deer hunter or his/her grandchildren? This is right out of the Joe Camel / Kool Penguin playbook. Get 'em while they're young, and they're yours for life. It's ironic that we managed to put a stop to Madison Avenue marketing tobacco products to children by banning this very strategy, but the NRA is still free to do so with guns. Because we've yet to dissolve the NRA/Congress amalgam.

Bottom panel: The word "Fellowship" is rarely used in our day-to-day lexicon, though it's fairly common amongst two demographics—fans of Tolkien novels and churchgoers. And you can bet your bottom dollar this targets the latter. The word fellowship, standing out in pure white text is an attempt to establish a connection between church and guns, now that they've already solidified the connection between state and guns with their ownership of Congress.

So here's the synopsis.

1) Cowardice is the enemy of who and what we are, and oh by the way, that includes the current Commander in Chief. Take it from Oliver North, a REAL American.

2) Be sure to tell little Jimmy and Susie all about us! Cartoons are fun! Open an NRA account in their names today!

3) REAL Christians support the NRA. Jesus would be a member if he were here today. Because faith, fellowship and guns go together like snap crackle and pop. Lots of pop. That unfortunate event in Charleston last Wednesday notwithstanding, which we'll discuss sometime at a later date yet to be determined.

Or not.

PostPosted: 06/23/15 10:49 am • # 7 
Administrator

Another goody from Bruce ~ sometimes I feel like he's my psychic twin ~ Sooz

Bruce Lindner wrote:
When I was a kid growing up in the '50s and '60s, gun ownership was identified with hunting. With skeet and target shooting. With cowboys & Indians movies. With cops & robbers. And with war. But a certain lobbying group decided to give their hobby an image makeover to make it more acceptable. More glorified. So they melded gun ownership with patriotism and millions nodded in approval. Images of guns with the American flag, with Eagles, guns emblazoned on pickup trucks with red, white and blue mud flaps are now a common sight. Their efforts were so successful in fact, that those of us who don't own guns often have our patriotism questioned by those who do.

When I look at this picture, I don't see Old Glory. I see two out of shape, fearful fools who've bought into the NRA's narrative: Guns = security = love of country. When in fact, that security is actually rampant insecurity, and that love of country sends 32,000 of our fellow citizens to the morgue every year. There's not a dime's worth of difference between the NRA's propaganda campaign and that of ISIS or al Qaeda. ISIS fighters plaster their black & white flag all over their tinker toys the exact same way.

This picture makes me want to vomit.

PostPosted: 06/25/15 10:32 am • # 8 
Administrator

Bruce nails it again ~ it will forever be ObamaCare in my own mind ~ Sooz

Bruce Lindner wrote:
Since the Affordable Care Act was first proposed, the opposition (probably via Frank Luntz) has bent itself into a pretzel coming up with talking points, lies and specious arguments in an effort to reject it. But the one that stuck was to call it "ObamaCare." The thinking being, if it finally went down in flames as the GOP had hoped, it would do so in the President's name. Hope springs eternal.

But now that the ACA is officially the law of the land at long last, I for one will never again refer to it as the Affordable Care Act. It's ObamaCare. Thank you Frank Luntz, Karl Rove, et al for coming up with this perfectly valid name. In the decades and centuries to come, Barack Obama's name will be attached to the healthcare policy that rescued millions of Americans from poverty, sickness and death. And when those future Americans explore the root of the name ObamaCare, they'll find that it was originally conceived as an epithet by this President's political adversaries.

So ObamaCare it is. Today, tomorrow, and forever.

PostPosted: 06/25/15 12:51 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

Yes!

PostPosted: 06/25/15 1:19 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Come now. "Bruce" is definitely gloating.

PostPosted: 06/25/15 1:27 pm • # 11 
Administrator

Just stating the obvious [to those of us with working brain cells] ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 06/28/15 8:49 am • # 12 
Administrator

Bruce frequently does a weekly "Things I Learned This Week" post ~ he says it's his version of the "Friday night news dump" ~ I particularly liked this week's offering ~ Sooz

Bruce Lindner wrote:
~~ TILTW ~~

• It's been a great week to be an American. ObamaCare is here to stay, notwithstanding the cacophony of outrage from the right. And 24 hours after that ruling, the Supremes ruled 5 to 4 in support of marriage rights for ALL. Why it wasn't a unanimous decision, I have no idea. What is it about "Equal Protection Under Law" that some folks don't get?

• And speaking of that, what's going on with Antonin Scalia? From which landmark decision does "pure applesauce" come from? I happen to like applesauce.

• Summer colds suck worse than winter colds. While everyone else is outside enjoying the weather, you're indoors chugging Day-Quil and going through tissues like Chris Christie goes through French fries.

• Zip ties, duct tape and double-sided tape are modern day marvels. They can do almost anything! But don't try to suspend a loose exhaust pipe with zip ties. It's a temporary fix, at best...heat + nylon = blobs. Go ahead; ask me how I know.

• I predict Barack Hussein Obama's legacy has already been cemented as a great president. Unless he fumbles everything he touches for the next 16 months, he'll go down in history as the president who inherited the worst situation in a century, turned it around and passed it off to his successor in better shape than its been in decades. All the more remarkable, is that he's managed to rejuvenate the economy, mend fences with our traditional allies, avenged the evil that visited these shores fourteen years ago, all without so much as a pinkie finger being lifted by Congress. As my friend David wrote so eloquently a few months ago, he's been the President we don't deserve.

• Donald Trump is a pompous, arrogant fool. The end.

• Bill O'Reilly said recently; "If you're a Christian or a white man in the USA, it's open season on you." This, from the same media personality who downplays the spate of police brutality against African-Americans as "isolated cases" and asks why there isn't more attention being paid to "black on black violence." But when a white 21 year old punk murdered 9 black people in their place of worship, nobody at Fox News characterized it as open season on blacks, and they still haven't. Fox News: There's a reason why it's number one amongst the bumpkin class. The inability to recognize racism where it lurks is naked racism itself.

• My parents will be celebrating their 69th wedding anniversary next week. Sixty-nine years... I can't even imagine. The longest relationship I've ever had was thirteen years, and that was with a pot bellied pig.

• The South is finally doing away with the flag of the Confederacy. Good for them! It only took its defenders 150 years to get the memo that they lost the Civil War, but better late than never. Oh, I'm sorry; I meant the "War of Yankee Aggression." Because it wasn't about slavery, right?

• You're never too old for a reboot. James Taylor, the troubadour of my generation and one of my favorite artists, has never had a runaway hit album in his half-century in the business. Until this week, that is. His latest album "Before the World" is number 1 on the Billboard list, and deservedly so. It's vintage JT.

• Mike Huckabee, Donald Trump, Jeb Bush, Bobby Jindal and by now, possibly others, have all issued Tweets voicing their opposition to today's Supreme Court ruling on marriage rights. Remember that come November 2016. At the rate this issue is flipping, they might just as well be coming out against apple pie. Or Scalia's apple sauce.

PostPosted: 06/28/15 9:55 am • # 13 
Editorialist

Quote:
Summer colds suck worse than winter colds. While everyone else is outside enjoying the weather, you're indoors chugging Day-Quil and going through tissues like Chris Christie goes through French fries.

I can attest to that!

Quote:
• Zip ties, duct tape and double-sided tape are modern day marvels. They can do almost anything! But don't try to suspend a loose exhaust pipe with zip ties. It's a temporary fix, at best...heat + nylon = blobs. Go ahead; ask me how I know.

LMAO!

Quote:
The South is finally doing away with the flag of the Confederacy. Good for them! It only took its defenders 150 years to get the memo that they lost the Civil War, but better late than never. Oh, I'm sorry; I meant the "War of Yankee Aggression." Because it wasn't about slavery, right?

Kudos to Alabama Governor Bentley. He ordered the flags removed from the capitol building immediately without making it a huge deal.

Quote:
Two workers came out of the Capitol building about 8:20 a.m. and with no fanfare quickly and quietly took the flag down. They declined to answer questions.

Moments later Gov. Bentley emerged from the Capitol on his way to an appearance in Hackleburg. Asked if he had ordered the flag taken down, the governor said, "Yes I did."

Asked his reasons for taking it down and if it included what happened in Charleston last week, the governor said, "Yes, partially this is about that. This is the right thing to do. We are facing some major issues in this state regarding the budget and other matters that we need to deal with. This had the potential to become a major distraction as we go forward. I have taxes to raise, we have work to do. And it was my decision that the flag needed to come down."
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/0 ... _from.html

Quote:
You're never too old for a reboot. James Taylor, the troubadour of my generation and one of my favorite artists, has never had a runaway hit album in his half-century in the business. Until this week, that is. His latest album "Before the World" is number 1 on the Billboard list, and deservedly so. It's vintage JT.

I read about this several days ago. Yea!! Can't wait to hear it.

PostPosted: 06/28/15 10:02 am • # 14 
Editorialist

• The South is finally doing away with the flag of the Confederacy. Good for them! It only took its defenders 150 years to get the memo that they lost the Civil War, but better late than never. Oh, I'm sorry; I meant the "War of Yankee Aggression." Because it wasn't about slavery, right?

Some state governments are removing the flag, but many in the South will continue to fly it.

PostPosted: 06/28/15 10:31 am • # 15 
Editorialist

Some state governments are removing the flag, but many in the South will continue to fly it.

I wonder how they will get it off "The General" in Dukes of Hazzard re-runs or will they continue to rely on Daisy Duke's hot pants to distract everyone from the fact the program had no storey line, bad acting, ridiculous plots and continuity faults galore.

PostPosted: 06/28/15 10:46 am • # 16 
Administrator

jimwilliam wrote:

I wonder how they will get it off "The General" in Dukes of Hazzard re-runs or will they continue to rely on Daisy Duke's hot pants to distract everyone from the fact the program had no storey line, bad acting, ridiculous plots and continuity faults galore.

It wasn't the hot pants. It's what was in them.

PostPosted: 07/20/15 8:24 am • # 17 
Administrator

Here's another "Bruce goody" ~ last I checked, the post that Bruce refers to below had something over 100 replies ~ below he says it went viral and now has over 1,100 posts! ~ YIKES! ~ I'll post the picture and his initial commentary in the next post ~ Sooz

Bruce Lindner wrote:
~~ Things I Learned This Weekend ~~

• Former Governor Rick Perry said yesterday; "If Donald Trump doesn't apologize to John McCain, then he is unfit to be Commander in Chief of the United States." Okay... but that implies that if Trump DOES apologize, then he WILL be fit to be President. This confirms it: Rick Perry's judgment makes him UNFIT to be Commander in Chief.

• I posted a funny graphic yesterday, showing a white supremacist squaring off with a black protester, and the supremacist had urine-soaked pants. It got a lot of laughs, but not long after I posted it, someone convinced me that it had been Photoshopped. So I had a choice: 1) pull the plug on the post because it was historically inaccurate, or 2) leave it up because it was just plain funny. I figured; screw it, I'm leaving it up. Ridiculing neo-Nazis and the Klan should be our national pastime. I took a lot of heat for that decision, but I stand by it.

I took off for a few hours, and when I returned I discovered that the post had gone viral. Over 10,000 shares, 1,100 comments and it's still going. So I skimmed through some of the comments. Yikes. It's morphed into the Facebook equivalent of Apocalypse Now! The farther you navigate up that fetid river, the deeper the madness becomes. Some of the most unreasoned, inarticulate, bigoted comments I've ever had the displeasure of reading. It's enough to make me fear for the future of this country.

• Today is Cuba Libre Day 2.0, at long last. Every President since Ike has had the same policy in regards to Cuba: Ignore them until they apologize for our humiliation over the Bay of Pigs. That's right, it's their fault. And it's their fault that our CIA failed to kill Castro with exploding cigars. Or how they embarrassed us when it was revealed we tried to poison him and make his beard fall out, thinking that would reduce his cachet amongst the Cuban people. Over fifty years of treating a poor island nation that virtually every other country on the planet has no problems with, as a leper colony.

Until today, July 20th, 2015. Through Ike, JFK, LBJ, Tricky Dick, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton and Bush II, they ALL had the exact same policy: ixnay on ubacay. Finally, a President with more vision than dedication to continuity came along and said; "Hey, how well has this policy worked? Let's try something else." And so it was. Mending fences makes SO much more sense than building them. And that goes for Iran too. Bring on the Ron Santiago rum!

PostPosted: 07/20/15 8:28 am • # 18 
Administrator

Here is the picture and Bruce's commentary that has now gone viral ~ Sooz

Bruce Lindner wrote:
1) White Supremacists and KKK storm capitol steps in Columbia SC.

2) Ten times as many civil rights activists show up to counter their message.

3) Big skeery black man confronts one member of the Master Race up close and personal.

4) White "patriot" discovers his racially superior genes do not include genetically superior bladder control.

PostPosted: 07/23/15 9:09 am • # 19 
Administrator

Here's another primo example of why I'm a "Bruce groupie" ~ Sooz

Bruce Lindner wrote:
Here's how this works: Begin by tailoring your programming to a certain demographic; older, white, conservative couch potatoes. Come up with a catchy slogan that suggests you're running a bona fide nonpartisan cable news outfit that presents all points of view. Such as; "Fair & Balanced." Can't argue with that, right? Then once you've got them hooked, they're yours. Every program you broadcast, every conversation, every interview, every graphic you show, every bit of data you present is crafted to further your agenda of smearing one party while concealing the shortcomings of the other. You own them now.

With pillars of journalistic integrity such as Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity spewing bald-faced lies five days per week during prime time, eventually, the low information (and even lower curiosity) viewer believes whatever they're told, even if it contradicts every other source of information available to them. EVEN if it contradicts what they see with their own eyes! All the other cable outlets, the three broadcast channels, newspapers, magazines, government statistics, the Internet... They've all been presenting iron-clad proof that the economy has been steadily, upwardly improving since this President came to power.

The unemployment rate has been halved. The deficit has been cut by two-thirds. The Dow Jones has tripled. By every conceivable measure, the economy has significantly improved since 2009, rather than gotten worse. Unless of course, you've been attached to Murdoch's teat all this time, in which case, you couldn't possibly know that. So this absurd "poll" shouldn't come as much of a surprise considering the source, and that source's agenda: to keep Republican voters loyal and stupid people stupid.

But this confirms something the rest of the country should be cognizant of. Propaganda WORKS. Particularly on the simple-minded. And to brush it aside as so much noise, is to do so at our own peril. Three-fourths of the public is well aware of what Fox News is, and what they're up to. It's that one-fourth that doesn't get it—and watches religiously—that's the problem. They vote, and they base their votes on bullshit like this.

Bottom line: If you watch Fox News for any reason other than just to laugh out loud at the absurdity of it all, and you believe their programming and polls such as this are based on reality...then you are a blithering IDIOT.

PostPosted: 07/23/15 9:14 am • # 20 
Administrator

Of course propaganda works.
Ask every politician since George Washington.

PostPosted: 07/23/15 2:42 pm • # 21 
Editorialist

the PR industry was invented during WW1. it really didn't exist here prior to that point.

the approach prior to that time was to use rational arguments to win votes.

PostPosted: 07/23/15 3:11 pm • # 22 
Administrator

macroscopic wrote:
the PR industry was invented during WW1. it really didn't exist here prior to that point.

the approach prior to that time was to use rational arguments to win votes.

Propaganda and PR are neither mutually exclusive nor mutually inclusive. Even such stalwarts as Thomas Paine used propaganda in the Revolutionary War against Britain.

PostPosted: 07/30/15 5:05 pm • # 23 
Administrator

Another gem from Bruce [posted yesterday] ~ Sooz

Bruce Lindner wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that some folks on Facebook exist for the sole purpose of annoying the hell out of the rest of us. They're digital itching powder. The social media version of fingernails on a blackboard. I've classified them, in no particular order:

• The Illiterati ~ On a good day, their posts read like this: "Hay, i no what you meen. I dont like Trpum either. Hes stupud." On a bad day, they can't tell which side is up on their keyboard.

• The Deflectors ~ those who can't wait to drive a serious conversation into the weeds. Post a political, scientific or human interest item, and they're already cued up with: "This reminds me of that Goofy cartoon where Mickey eats a whole cherry pie by himself." Which is then followed up with a YouTube link to said cartoon. What that has to do with exploring the planet Pluto, is anybody's guess.

• People who ignore the fact that there are others in the conversation besides just the two of you, and insist on posting awkward personal comments ~ "Well Bruce, I have to go to the bathroom now. I've had the Hershey squirts all day, and I'm feeling the call again. It was last night's chili, I think." Thank you. I'm sure the other 200 people following this conversation wanted to know that.

• Folks who insist on tagging you to only the MOST fascinating, erudite posts ~ "Hey, check this out! I shaved my poodle last night, all except for that Mohawk down his back which I dyed purple! Ha! Isn't that cool?" Yes, that's very nice. Can I get back to discussing the Iran nuclear deal now with my other friends? Purple poodles, as fascinating as they are, don't quite rise to the import of the future of the human race.

• The perpetual pedant ~ No matter the topic, no matter the lightheartedness of everyone engaged, they can't resist scanning a thread for technical errors and rubbing someone's nose in them. "Hey, you said Brian Hyland first sang Sealed With a Kiss. I happen to know it was originally released by the Four Voices in 1960, so you're wrong, dude. You're off by two years! TWO YEARS!" Thanks for that. Now the rest of us can die in peace.

• The Doubting Thomas ~ Skeptical of just about everything that doesn't mesh with what they already know, they often challenge news items (I believe) to get attention. When you post a link to back up your position, they'll shrug it off as a biased source. Post links to FIVE other sources that all back up the same story, and they still won't budge. That's because they're not interested in facts. They're only interested in their fifteen minutes in the Facebook limelight and the comfort of knowing they're right—even though they're wrong. It usually ends with everyone else in the thread blocking him/her. Life's too short to explain all that's wrong with the dioramas at the Creation Museum in Kentucky, or swatting down birthers and truthers for hours on end.

PostPosted: 08/15/15 9:46 am • # 24 
Administrator

More gems from Bruce loitering in my "saved to read/maybe post later" file before updating to Win10 ~ Sooz

Dismantling Dark Dick
March 30, 2015 | Posted by: Bruce Lindner

“I look at Barack Obama and I see the worst president of my lifetime, without question. I used to have significant criticism of Jimmy Carter, but compared to Barack Obama and the damage he is doing to the nation—it’s a tragedy.”

~ the Dick of Darkness, Richard B Cheney, in an interview with Playboy magazine this month

Gosh. It almost seems like the Dick of Darkness is painfully aware of which president was the REAL worst of his lifetime, so he’s spinning things for political effect and to salvage his own legacy. So by “worst,” Dark Dick means Barack Obama has reduced the annual deficit by 70%, compared to where it was when Cheney/Bush passed the country off to him in ruins back in 2009.

“Worst” as in: Barack Obama didn’t issue meaningless and empty tough-talk about hunting down and eliminating the leader of al Qaeda as he and George W Bush did. Obama just went ahead and DID it.

“Worst” as in: Barack Obama has humiliated Dark Dick by overseeing the creation of 12 TIMES as many American jobs on his watch than did Cheney/Bush—with 22 months yet to go in his term.

“Worst” as in: Barack Obama has provided 14 million Americans with healthcare who previously had little or no coverage.

“Worst” as in: the Obama administration’s unemployment figures are nearly half of what they were at the nadir of the Cheney/Bush recession.

“Worst” as in: Barack Obama’s words turned out to be prophetic about the war Dark Dick pushed this nation into twelve years ago when he said; “I don’t oppose all wars. What I am opposed to is a dumb war.”

“Worst” as in: Barack Obama rescued the backbone of American labor, the auto industry, with nearly unanimous opposition from the GOP… along with its unions that Dark Dick’s party has been trying to dismantle for decades.

“Worst” as in: Barack Obama has overseen the tripling of – Yes, TRIPLED – the Dow Jones index in just six years, which is presently at historic levels.

“Worst” as in: Barack Obama signed legislation authorizing marriage rights to gays and workplace parity for women, both against the will of Dark Dark’s party.

“Worst” as in: Barack Obama favors broad immigration reform, rather than demonizing millions who’ve been working and living here as second-class citizens for years.

“Worst” as in: Barack Obama has restored America’s honor amongst the civilized world by formally OUTLAWING the use of torture, and once again vowing that the United States of America will abide by international law.

But other than that, yeah, Barack Obama’s been a real disaster! Point and match, Dark Dick… Mr. 13% approval rating.

http://www.blue-route.org/blog/blog/politics/dismantling-dark-dick/

PostPosted: 08/15/15 5:46 pm • # 25 
Administrator

More Bruce random thoughts posted yesterday ~ to add some context as you're reading, Bruce lives just outside Portland proper ~ and he is launching a new condiment he developed [first launch is local in the Portland area and then it will be available via Amazon] as soon as his business insurance allows ~ Sooz

Quote:
~~ Things I Learned This Week ~~

• Jimmy Carter, the 39th President, has cancer and it doesn't look good. Maybe now the right will finally let up on this good and decent man. Almost 35 years after leaving office, ALL of which were spent in the service of promoting the well being of humanity, he's still the butt of most conservative's sickest jokes. The worst president ever? A Nobel Peace Prize winner? A man who spent his senior years building houses with Habitat for Humanity? Hardly. That honor goes to 43. Carter was fifty times the President Dubbya was, and for that matter, Reagan as well; the President who secretly sold weapons to the Ayatollah in order to fund terrorists in Central America. Yet for some reason, Reagan's worthy of worship, while Carter is deserving of ridicule. Go figure. Best of luck to you, Mr. President.

• Glenn Beck says "Portland Oregon is the number one city in America that you should avoid like the plague." Why? An Ebola outbreak? A nuclear meltdown? Airborne herpes? Nope. Portland has been rated the least religious city in the nation. Well now, if less religion is bad, then more religion must be good, right? Go to Mecca Glenn, there's plenty of religion there. Or the Mea Sharim neighborhood of Jerusalem where they'll stone your car if you drive through on the Sabbath. Or Mogadishu. There's gobs of hot & cold running religion waiting for you there. You know what I avoid like the plague? People who pander to the ignorance of religious fanatics. People like Glenn Beck.

• When it comes to counterfeiting, apparently, the Feds have no sense of humor whatsoever. I'm told I should expect a call from them for inadvertently (I SWEAR!!) passing along a bogus twenty to my credit union. Say, do you think they're planning on reimbursing me for it? Maybe I should prepare an invoice, just in case.

• Today's the day the Stars and Stripes get raised above the skyline of Havana. I honestly never thought I'd see the day. And the best part? Except for a few diehard extremists (I'm looking at you, Ileana), both the left and the right seem to agree that this is the right move. A little less tension in the world is a good thing, no?

• Who knew a new product launch could get held up over a matter of definition? My business insurance wants me to classify Snappytown Smoquin' definitively. Is it a barbecue sauce? A hot sauce? A catsup? None of the above, says I, it's a whole new concept. Can't you just list it as a condiment?

"No, we need to be more specific than that. What's it made from?"

"Granny Smith apples."

"Oh, so it's applesauce?"

"No! It's a spicy, smoky condiment."

"It sounds strange."

"It's not strange at all, it's really good. You want strange? The most popular condiment in America is mayonnaise; oil and a few eggs binding it into a colloid."

"Okay. I'll get back to you about this later." And THIS has cost me an entire lost week! :g

• Jeb Bush is trying to blame Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton for the rise of ISIS. No, really! I'd give up a bottle of my best Scotch for the honor of debating him on this issue and his role at PNAC. George W. Bush: Fool número uno. Jeb Bush: Fool número dos.

"Fool me once...shame on...shame on... We can't get fooled again!"

~ Dubbya, September 17th, 2002

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next   Page 1 of 12   [ 279 posts ] New Topic Add Reply