[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 226: Undefined array key 1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
The cult of ignorance in the United States | Voices or Choices
It is currently 05/13/24 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next   Page 10 of 13   [ 313 posts ]
PostPosted: 10/13/21 5:18 am • # 226 
Editorialist

Didn't want to start a new thread ....

I Listened to an Alabama Man Complain About Democrats Stealing The Election
A window into a whole other world

Ryan Fan

Quote:
“Look at the numbers, and it doesn’t make any sense. There were more dead people in Georgia that voted than Democrats registered!”

These were words I heard when I went into a barbershop in Alabama, visiting my girlfriend’s parents and family. I needed a haircut, and the closest barbershop was a couple of miles away from their home outside Huntsville, Alabama, a part of that straddles the barrier between suburban and rural.

I went into the barbershop, asked if ...

https://medium.com/the-partnered-pen/i- ... 389c0145bb

PostPosted: 10/15/21 5:10 am • # 227 
Editorialist

Why universities are failing to prepare students for the job market
Research suggests university education not meeting basic expectations

Melissa Gismondi

Students returned to university and college campuses across the country last month, and while COVID-19 has raised new challenges, anyone who has spent time on campus in the last decade knows concerns about the state of higher education are nothing new.

In the United States, where some estimates now place student debt at over $1 trillion, college enrolment is declining, according to the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center.

In Canada, news earlier this year that Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ont., filed for insolvency and creditor protection has caused some experts to worry. In an emergency parliamentary debate about Laurentian, Green Party MP Elizabeth May called it "the canary in our educational coal mine."

The challenges don't stop there.

Tuition in Canada has been rising for domestic and especially international students, whom universities increasingly rely on to pay the bills. Public spending on higher education has been stagnant or decreasing. More and more, universities lean on part-time or adjunct instructors. Students are graduating into a brutal job market. And there are studies suggesting universities aren't always successful in providing graduates with ...

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/why-univ ... -1.6208196

=============================================

Who ever said that the purpose of university is to prepare students for the job market? With a few exceptions (engineering, med school, and law school) that's never been the case.

As for the idea that a university degree would lead to a great job I've always figured that people confused cause and effect. In times gone by, relatively few people had university degrees and most of them came from wealthy families. And because of their contacts (whether it was family connections or their roommates family connections) they'd get those great jobs. In short, those people had great jobs because they were already part of the "elite" and because they were part of that group they got degrees. In other words, just the reverse of what people thought.

PostPosted: 10/21/21 7:14 am • # 228 
Editorialist

Far-right website claims that Christians should see dying from COVID as ‘a good thing’
https://www.alternet.org/2021/10/anti-vaxxers-2655324736/

PostPosted: 10/21/21 3:42 pm • # 229 
Editorialist

"Our Christian heritage also rejects the avoidance of death at any cost by venerating the millions of martyrs we honor precisely for choosing to confess Christ despite the indescribable costs to them of comfort, health and life itself."

This sums up why she and others like her reject the vaccine. They want to be martyrs. For exactly what I don't know. I would also add that if "Our Christian heritage also rejects the avoidance of death" is true, why do they pray for healing? Ever? Sheesh.

PostPosted: 10/22/21 12:26 am • # 230 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
"Our Christian heritage also rejects the avoidance of death at any cost by venerating the millions of martyrs we honor precisely for choosing to confess Christ despite the indescribable costs to them of comfort, health and life itself."

This sums up why she and others like her reject the vaccine. They want to be martyrs. For exactly what I don't know. I would also add that if "Our Christian heritage also rejects the avoidance of death" is true, why do they pray for healing? Ever? Sheesh.

also, this has a certain resonance with the military, cults, and other religious extremism like Salafism. it would have been unthinkable 20 years ago that we would celebrate these things in the US.

the war on terror is truly over. we lost.

PostPosted: 11/21/21 10:01 am • # 231 
Editorialist

From 2020

Pseudoscience is moving into the mainstream

From maverick to mainstream
Pseudoscience now has more serious consequences than a few bent spoons

BY PHILIP BALL

The death of magician and debunker of frauds James Randi was a reminder that even pseudoscience and charlatanry used to come from a kinder world. Randi’s arch-antagonist was the ‘psychic’ Uri Geller, who always seemed to be on 1970s chat shows bending spoons with the power of his mind. I came across Randi (and witnessed a demonstration of his stage magic) while working for Nature after the journal had just published the notorious ‘memory of water’ paper by French immunologist Jacques Benveniste. The editor enlisted the magician to join the team that travelled to the French labs to witness a (failed) attempt to replicate the studies in which a biological molecule was said to retain its activity after being diluted to the point of total absence.

That is now seen as one of the classic examples of pathological science, joining the likes of the polywater affair of the late 1960s and the cold fusion episode of 1989. Polywater – an alleged new form of water, with the consistency of soft wax – was straightforwardly disproved and eventually ...

https://www.chemistryworld.com/opinion/ ... 28.article

PostPosted: 11/21/21 10:02 am • # 232 
Editorialist

Science is Still Under Attack in the Public Schools

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/201 ... c-schools/

PostPosted: 12/07/21 4:33 pm • # 233 
Editorialist

Will America’s disregard for science be the end of its reign?

PostPosted: 12/09/21 1:12 pm • # 234 
Editorialist

Tyson's point about too early reporting on unverified reports is valid. I think another reason the 24/7 new cycle and cable news 24 hours a day has created a lot of time to fill with content. The time is often filled with analysis and opinion because there is not enough factual news that could fill all that time (thankfully, nod to the Trump years when there was the outrageous story of the moment every minute). People used to learn about these things studying newspapers in the classroom. I don't think people are taught how to read internet news or watch cable news with the ability to discern news from opinion and analysis. Schermer began to touch on that but went in a different direction.

PostPosted: 12/09/21 3:31 pm • # 235 
Editorialist

shift- I really enjoyed that video. very interesting.
I watched another one on the same channel which was also interesting.

PostPosted: 12/18/21 9:59 am • # 236 
Editorialist

This one's from Canada

I had to google it to convince myself that this isn't from The Onion

https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/news/ontari ... itutional/

PostPosted: 12/18/21 12:41 pm • # 237 
Editorialist

wow. you guys have some real fucktards up there, TOO.

PostPosted: 12/19/21 8:09 am • # 238 
Administrator

macroscopic wrote:

We always have had.

PostPosted: 12/19/21 12:40 pm • # 239 
Editorialist

did they come from here in the war of 1812?

PostPosted: 12/19/21 3:12 pm • # 240 
Administrator

macroscopic wrote:
did they come from here in the war of 1812?

We can breed our very own nutters, thank you.

PostPosted: 12/19/21 7:15 pm • # 241 
Editorialist

Public-school enrolment in America is unlikely to return to normal
Learning loss will continue to be a concern, especially among the youngest

BY TAMARA GILKES BORR

Covid-19 sparked the largest decline in public-school enrolment since the second world war. In the early 1940s, many high-school students departed for the battlefield or for employment. But this time around, it is unclear where some of the missing students have gone—and many of them will not return.

The pandemic forced schools around the world to close overnight in early 2020. In America more than 50m pupils were sent home in March. At the time, few imagined that the closures would drag on so long. As educators tried to get students back into the classroom in the autumn, enrolment dropped by 3% for the 2020-21 academic year. Teachers and administrators called families and even went to pupils’ homes in an attempt to ....

https://www.economist.com/the-world-ahe ... -to-normal

PostPosted: 12/19/21 11:55 pm • # 242 
Editorialist

macroscopic wrote:

That decision takes care of the last of the 3 R's. Half of students can't do any "readin'". They don't even teach writen' anymore so I guess 'rithmatic was bound to go.

PostPosted: 12/20/21 6:43 am • # 243 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:
macroscopic wrote:

That decision takes care of the last of the 3 R's. Half of students can't do any "readin'". They don't even teach writen' anymore so I guess 'rithmatic was bound to go.

Typical that rather than fixing the problem (i.e., improving math education for the segment that is supposedly affected) they simply dumbed things down.

PostPosted: 12/20/21 10:46 pm • # 244 
Editorialist

shiftless2 wrote:
jimwilliam wrote:
macroscopic wrote:

Typical that rather than fixing the problem (i.e., improving math education for the segment that is supposedly affected) they simply dumbed things down.

......and then we wonder why Asians are so far ahead of us.

PostPosted: 12/24/21 7:52 am • # 245 
Editorialist

Are some of us destined to be dumb and is there anything we can do about it?
Antony Funnell

Sometimes humans just do stupid things.

Most of us are healthier, wealthier and better educated than ever before.

We have greater access to knowledge and expertise than any previous generation.

Yet, people keep doing stupid things — from rejecting the science of climate change to embracing the idea that vaccinations are part of a giant global conspiracy to take control of our minds using micro-implants and 5G.

Why? Well, the late, great British philosopher and polymath, Bertrand Russell, thought he knew at least part of the answer.

"The fundamental cause of the trouble," he wrote, "is that in the modern world, the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

Add to that, the conspiratorial rabbit holes of the internet and the increasingly unsocial side of social media and you pretty much have life today.

But those who study human intelligence say it's not a lost cause but ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-23/ ... /100679506

PostPosted: 01/29/22 11:44 am • # 246 
Editorialist

No surprise here

The US Is No Longer The Uncontested World Leader In Science

Tom Hale

The US might soon lose its crown as the uncontested world leader in science and engineering, with China continuing to double down on its growing investment into scientific research. That’s according to the 2020 State of US Science and Engineering report published this week by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the National Science Board (NSB).

As per the report, the US still spends a hell of a lot on science. In 2017, the US spent around $548 billion on research and development (R&D), more than any other country and the European Union. R&D spending in the US also increased by an average of 4.3 percent per year from 2000 to 2017.

However, America’s slice of the pie is shrinking in the face of growing investment into science from elsewhere in the world. Globally, the amount of money being spent on R&D has tripled – and around a third of that investment has come from China.

As it stands, the US accounted for ...

https://www.iflscience.com/editors-blog ... -science-/

PostPosted: 03/19/22 10:55 am • # 247 
Editorialist

Salon investigates: The war on public schools is being fought from Hillsdale College
In a 3-part investigation, Salon shows how this tiny Christian college is leading the right-wing fight on education

By KATHRYN JOYCE

A Chalkboard with a map of the continental USA, with pins leading toward Hillsdale associated schools, and a desk with a portrait of Donald Trump, a copy of The 1766 Report, and an apple with a cross carved into it. (Illustration by Ilana Lidagoster/Salon)

"Teaching is our trade; also, I confess, it's our weapon." Those are the words of Larry Arnn, president of Hillsdale College, a small private Christian college in Michigan that, in recent years, has quietly become a driving force in nearly all of the country's ongoing fights around education. During the Trump years, the college functioned as a "feeder school" sending alumni into the administration and the offices of its allies on Capitol Hill. Hillsdale officials led Trump's controversial 1776 Commission, established to create a "patriotic education" alternative to contemporary scholarship on America's racial history. The school's lecture series and magazine serve as a testing ground for the right's most ambitious and outlandish ideas: that diversity isn't a strength but a "solvent" that destroys national unity; that Vladimir Putin is a populist hero; that Republicans should aspire to lure so many children out of public schools that the entire system might collapse.

To that end, the college has inconspicuously been ....

https://www.salon.com/2022/03/16/salon- ... e-college/

PostPosted: 04/23/22 7:16 am • # 248 
Editorialist

Unfortunately this is not satire

The Folly of English Teachers Who Oppose Reading

DANIEL BUCK

The National Council of Teachers of English wants to ‘decenter’ book-reading and essay-writing as the fundamentals of English class. This is a mistake.

The National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) has proclaimed that it is time “to decenter book reading and essay writing as the pinnacles of English language arts education.” Apparently, they don’t teach irony in English classes anymore.

The argument in the statement isn’t new. At the turn of the century, John Dewey, a central figure in progressive education, argued that the industrial revolution necessitated a “new education.” Now, the NCTE argues that “as society and technology change, so too does literacy,” and so we English teachers must focus on videos, gifs, memes, and other media.

They absolutely shouldn’t, though. Society might change, but ...

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/04/ ... e-reading/

PostPosted: 04/23/22 9:41 am • # 249 
Administrator

shiftless2 wrote:
Unfortunately this is not satire

The Folly of English Teachers Who Oppose Reading

DANIEL BUCK

The National Council of Teachers of English wants to ‘decenter’ book-reading and essay-writing as the fundamentals of English class. This is a mistake.

The National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) has proclaimed that it is time “to decenter book reading and essay writing as the pinnacles of English language arts education.” Apparently, they don’t teach irony in English classes anymore.

The argument in the statement isn’t new. At the turn of the century, John Dewey, a central figure in progressive education, argued that the industrial revolution necessitated a “new education.” Now, the NCTE argues that “as society and technology change, so too does literacy,” and so we English teachers must focus on videos, gifs, memes, and other media.

They absolutely shouldn’t, though. Society might change, but ...

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/04/ ... e-reading/

Translation: We're illiterate and can't teach what we don't know.

PostPosted: 05/06/22 7:26 am • # 250 
Editorialist

This belongs here

Quote:
Quote:
"The SAT doesn’t create inequalities in these academic skills. It reveals them," Kathryn Paige Harden writes. "Throwing the measurement away doesn’t remedy underlying injustices…any more than throwing a thermometer away changes the weather."

The SAT Isn’t What’s Unfair
MIT brings back a test that, despite its reputation, helps low-income students in an inequitable society.

By Kathryn Paige Harden

Critics of standardized tests have had plenty of reasons to celebrate lately. More than three-quarters of colleges are not requiring the SAT or the ACT for admission this fall, an all-time high, and more than 400 Ph.D. programs have dropped the GRE, up from a mere handful a few years ago. MIT’s announcement on Monday that it is reinstating a testing requirement for fall 2023 admissions was a major departure from these recent trends. Just as striking, amid the widespread perception of standardized testing as an engine of inequality, was MIT’s rationale: “Not having SATs/ACT scores to consider,” MIT’s dean of admissions, Stu Schmill, wrote, “tends to raise socioeconomic barriers to demonstrating readiness for our education.” Dropping the SAT, it turns out, actually hurts low-income students, rather than helping them.

MIT’s conclusion is counterintuitive because students from richer families, on average, score higher on the SAT and other standardized tests than students from poorer ones. The correlation between family background and SAT performance is from about .25 to .40—that is, meaningful but far from perfect. Still, it’s strong enough that some researchers dismiss standardized tests as nothing more than a proxy for ...

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ts/629455/

That's not the only time something like this has happened:

Quote:
Ontario Court declares that the Ontario Math Proficiency Test is Unconstitutional

https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/news/ontari ... itutional/

In both cases, rather than address the underlying problem, the solution was to simply eliminate the yardstick so there is no way to tell if students (or student teachers in the Ontario case) are truly qualified.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next   Page 10 of 13   [ 313 posts ] New Topic Add Reply