It is currently 04/28/24 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/25/18 3:16 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

Local Perspective
Larry Nassar’s enablers? A nation that doubts and dismisses women.

Emma Ann Miller, 15, speaks during the fifth day of victim impact statements against Larry Nassar in Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing, Mich. (Matthew Dae Smith/AP)

By Petula Dvorak Columnist January 25 at 12:30 PM
America has a problem believing women and girls.

How else to explain the sickening spectacle of 156 women in a Michigan courtroom this past week facing down an abuser everyone — even their own parents — believed instead of them.

The sentencing of former USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar was a breathtaking display of the doubt and dismissal that so often greet women and girls when they report being molested or raped or harassed. It is true Nassar was a determined predator, but his success depended on a nation of co-conspirators well versed in discrediting women. Our man-believing, woman-doubting world enabled a gold-plated sexual assault ring.

This should shake us to the core.

Girls as young as six years old were forced to keep getting “treatments” by a doctor who repeatedly molested them, sometimes right in front of their parents. Those gymnasts, after being relentlessly abused by that man, performed flips and jumps and twists for the world’s delight, smiling and sparkly on the outside while their insides probably felt something like broken glass.

It was sexual slavery played out right before us in Olympic broadcasts anchored by the now-fired-for-sexual-misconduct Matt Lauer.

At least 14 officials at Michigan State University were told Nassar was a predator. The father of one of the survivors, Kyle Stephens, killed himself after believing Nassar over his daughter, when she described the brazen sexual abuse that took place during house calls to her childhood home. None of those officials believed it.

[Our silence enables sexual predators in the workplace. It has to stop.]

On Wednesday night, just hours after Nasser was sentenced to 40 to 175 years in prison, Michigan State’s president, Lou Anna Simon, resigned. Still to come: investigations of USA Gymnastics and U.S. Olympic Committee that ought to reveal just how many people knew about what Nasser was doing and chose to ignore it.

“What does it say about our society when victims do come forward, and they are automatically met with skepticism and doubt, treated as liars until proven true?” asked the prosecutor, assistant attorney general Angela Povilaitis.

How many times does this have to happen?

Bill Cosby. More than 50 women have come forward since Andrea Constad first filed a police report in 2005.

Harvey Weinstein. More than 80 women have told their stories about sexual assault a dozen years after Courtney Love told TV cameras in 2005: “If Harvey Weinstein invites you to a private party in the Four Seasons, don’t go.”

R. Kelly. The 50-year-old singer married a 15-year-old and was accused of being filmed having sex with a 14-year-old. Yet he has eluded years of allegations by African American girls that he held them as sex slaves.

Those are just the celebrity-driven cases. In just the past few months in suburban Washington, a track coach in La Plata, Md., was accused of abusing 42 kids, a soccer coach in Montgomery Village allegedly targeted a 7-year-old girl, and a third-grade teacher in Rockville was convicted of abusing four children after being given repeated reprimands by his bosses for years.

Teachers. Coaches. Priests. Sergeants. CEOs. Judges. Shift bosses at McDonald’s.

The president. Or rather: presidents.

All of them were believed, and the women and girls were not.

Remember the outrage when former assistant Penn State football Jerry Sandusky’s sexual abuse of boys blew up?

[The legacy of the Sandusky scandal: More sexual abuse victims speaking out]

In that case — thanks to a different societal kettle of stupid — the boys were not the ones who spoke up. In fact, it was a boy’s mother who first reported Sandusky had showered with her son. And her concerns were ignored.

Once that case blew wide open, the outrage rocked the nation. The newspaper that exposed it, the Harrisburg Patriot-News, won a Pulitzer Prize. The newspaper that broke the Nassar story, The Indianapolis Star-Tribune, did not. They were not even finalists, despite the fact that their investigation also found at least 368 gymnasts who said they have been abused by coaches over the past 20 years.

Because the abuse of boys somehow, subconsciously, seems more deserving of our outrage and seems more monstrous — a toxic brew of homophobia meets misogyny — than the abuse of girls.

Would you believe half of the 9,000 members of SNAP — the Survivor’s Network of Those Abused by Priests — are women? Including the group’s founder?

Nope. Most folks do not know hundreds of those priests’s victims were also girls, not just boys.

Even after hearing from 156 of his own victims, as they reminded Nassar of the smell of the lotion he used to masturbate in front of them, the way he positioned their mothers so they would not see his hands in their vaginas, Nassar still did not want to believe them.

“Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned,” he wrote in his letter to Judge Rosemarie Aquilina, complaining about the unfairness of it all to him. His words made the courtroom of women and their families audibly gasp.

After reading it, Aquilina — the ferocious judge we needed right now — tossed the letter on her desk like the fetid, rotting pile of garbage it was.

Local Headlines newsletter

Daily headlines about the Washington region.

Yes. This happened. It was real. The girls were not lying. And, right now, in schools, churches, gyms and workplaces across this country, it is happening to other girls, other women, who still fear what they will face if they come forward.

Stop doubting them America, and stop enabling their abusers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/la ... uzz&wpmm=1

PostPosted: 01/25/18 3:32 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Good article.

PostPosted: 01/25/18 6:34 pm • # 3 
Administrator

oskar576 wrote:
Good article.

Agreed it's a terrific article ~

I've been both rabidly angry and incredibly sad reading about what these children were subjected to ~ but this past week has been unusually busy for me, so I've been loading up my "saved to read/maybe post later" file ~ after tomorrow, things should slow back down to my new "normal" ~ so I'll have more time to read/post again ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/26/18 9:30 am • # 4 
Administrator

Well, this type of thing has become rather commonplace so it ends up as secondary news like mass shootings.

PostPosted: 01/26/18 10:49 am • # 5 
Administrator

Contract for departing MSU president includes faculty job, lifetime perks

There it is - rewarding wrongdoing... again. It's the corporate seal of approval.

(CNN) — The Michigan State University president who resigned in the wake of the Larry Nassar sexual abuse scandal has the option of returning to the faculty and securing lifetime perks, her contract says.

Lou Anna Simon can elect to return to a faculty position and take a 12-month research leave during which time she would be paid her current $750,000 salary, according to the contract, provided to CNN by Michigan State spokesman Jason Cody.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/26/us/nassar ... index.html?

PostPosted: 01/27/18 8:14 am • # 6 
Editorialist

I still can't compose the right words to express my horror at this.

re #5: The only sliver of hope is that she is somehow prosecuted for her part in allowing this to continue. Not sure if that's possible, but I am sure that some lawyer, somewhere, is looking into that.

PostPosted: 01/27/18 11:54 am • # 7 
Editorialist

I know Nasser has been convicted and sentenced but reaction to this flurry of "J'accuse" means you are guilty system of destroying peoples' work and reputation is starting to generate a back lash:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/p ... spartandhp

PostPosted: 01/27/18 12:06 pm • # 8 
Administrator

jimwilliam wrote:
I know Nasser has been convicted and sentenced but reaction to this flurry of "J'accuse" means you are guilty system of destroying peoples' work and reputation is starting to generate a back lash:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/p ... spartandhp

Not a very good article to prove your point, jim.

PostPosted: 01/27/18 1:04 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

Actually, it's the perfect article. It reflects a growing backlash against accepting these decades old, unproven allegations at face value. Especially when they are over such minor offenses. I mean the guy tried to kiss the girl and stopped when she told him to. The horror! What was he supposed to do, keep going?

Sooner or later one of these women is going to pick the wrong target and it will wind-up with none of them being believed.

PostPosted: 01/27/18 1:08 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Quote:
Sooner or later one of these women is going to pick the wrong target and it will wind-up with none of them being believed.

I think that's already starting to happen.

But it's also a problem of their own making in that they hope it simply "goes away". I doesn't, especially for public/high-profile figures.

PostPosted: 01/27/18 11:28 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

it is just too horrible for me to entertain.

PostPosted: 10/14/21 5:33 am • # 12 
Editorialist

It ain't gonna go away

Gymnasts urge Congress to remove U.S. Olympic committee's directors

TuAnh Dam

Four American gymnasts asked Congress to dissolve the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Committee board of directors on Wednesday over its handling of the Larry Nassar sex abuse scandal, per the Wall Street Journal.

The big picture: Simone Biles, Aly Raisman, McKayla Maroney and Maggie Nichols allege in a letter to Sens. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) and Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) that the USOPC learned of the Nassar abuse reports in 2015, around the same time as USA Gymnastics, but "took no investigative action," according to WSJ.

Why it matters: The gymnasts say that ...

https://www.axios.com/gymnastics-sex-ab ... 57712.html

PostPosted: 04/21/22 5:56 pm • # 13 
Editorialist

13 Nassar Abuse Victims Seek $10 Million Each From F.B.I.
A lawyer for the athletes said the F.B.I. mishandled reports and evidence that could have prevented Lawrence G. Nassar, who is now in prison, from abusing others.

Christine Hauser

A Justice Department report issued last year found that Lawrence G. Nassar was able to sexually abuse more victims because the F.B.I. was delayed in investigating complaints against him.

Thirteen female athletes who were sexually assaulted by Lawrence G. Nassar, the former sports doctor for the U.S.A. Gymnastics national team and Michigan State University, are seeking $10 million each from the F.B.I., alleging that its agents mishandled an investigation and allowed Mr. Nassar to continue abusing more victims, a lawyer said on Thursday.

The lawyer, Jamie White, said he filed a tort claim on Wednesday against the bureau that gives the government six months to settle or deny the claim. A lawsuit could follow, depending on the response, he said.

It was the latest legal action to arise from the abuse of young athletes by Mr. Nassar, who is serving what amounts to life in prison for multiple sex crimes involving girls and women, including members of the 2012 and 2016 U.S. Olympic women’s gymnastics teams.

Last year, the Justice Department’s inspector general issued a report that sharply criticized the F.B.I.’s handling of the case, saying that Mr. Nassar had abused 70 or more young athletes between July 2015, when U.S.A. Gymnastics first reported allegations against him to the F.B.I.’s Indianapolis field office, and August 2016, when the Michigan State University Police Department received a separate ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/21/spor ... s-fbi.html

PostPosted: 06/08/22 12:31 pm • # 14 
Editorialist

The Olympic gymnasts Simone Biles, Aly Raisman and McKayla Maroney are among more than 90 women suing the FBI for its failure to investigate Larry Nassar when it received credible information that he sexually abused girls. They are seeking over $1 billion in damages.

Nassar Victims Suing F.B.I. for Early Investigative Failures
The plaintiffs say Lawrence Nassar abused them after the bureau failed to act. The suits come after the Justice Department declined to prosecute the agents accused of bungling the inquiry.

Katie Benner

More than 90 women who say they were sexually assaulted by Lawrence G. Nassar, the former doctor for U.S.A. Gymnastics who was convicted on state sexual abuse charges, filed lawsuits on Wednesday against the F.B.I. for its failure to investigate him when it received credible information about his crimes.

The lawsuits come two weeks after the Justice Department decided not to prosecute two former F.B.I. agents accused of bungling the bureau’s 2015 investigation into Mr. Nassar, allowing him to assault girls for more than a year before Michigan authorities arrested him. The agents were accused by the Justice Department’s own watchdog of making false statements about the matter.

The plaintiffs include the Olympic gymnastics gold medalists Simone Biles, Aly Raisman and McKayla Maroney and the national gymnastics medalist Maggie Nichols, as well as the former University of Michigan gymnast Samantha Roy and the former gymnast Kaylee Lorincz, who now works as an advocate for sexual assault victims.

“My fellow survivors and I were betrayed by every institution that was supposed to protect us — the U.S. Olympic Committee, U.S.A. Gymnastics, the F.B.I. and now the Department of Justice,” Ms. Maroney said in a statement. “It is clear that the only path to justice and healing is through ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/08/us/p ... suits.html

PostPosted: 09/28/22 1:05 pm • # 15 
Editorialist

And now we move on to cheerleading ....

Tennessee cheerleading gym faces sexual abuse allegations

A Tennessee cheerleading gym faces sexual abuse allegations in a case that escalates the accusations against some of the sport’s top institutions. A federal lawsuit brought Monday by two anonymous plaintiffs alleges that an adult coach at Premier Athletics sexually assaulted teenage boys. Lawyers brought a similar complaint this month against coaches at Rockstar Cheer in South Carolina. Attorneys say that in both cases, Varsity Spirit and the U.S. All Star Federation failed to provide a safe environment. The plaintiffs’ lawyers said at a news conference Tuesday that insular systems within the cheer industry make it difficult for athletes to ....

https://www.wbbjtv.com/2022/09/27/tenne ... legations/

PostPosted: 09/29/22 8:15 am • # 16 
Editorialist

There is another one too out of Georgia- Stingrays in Marietta

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply