It is currently 04/28/24 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 60 posts ]
PostPosted: 07/31/22 5:12 am • # 26 
Editorialist

I'd be very surprised if any court will let this stand ... declaring bankruptcy at this stage of the proceedings is an obvious ploy to shield his assets from the court judgment

Quote:
Right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones' primary company filed for bankruptcy protection on Friday, an unexpected move that comes as a trial is underway in Texas to determine how much in damages he will have to pay the families of two Sandy Hook victims who sued and won a default judgment against him.

Alex Jones' company files for bankruptcy amid Texas trial to award damages to Sandy Hook families

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/al ... -1.6008539

PostPosted: 07/31/22 5:14 am • # 27 
Editorialist

BTW, Infowars already filed for bankruptcy months ago

https://apnews.com/article/alex-jones-i ... d3118947cf

PostPosted: 07/31/22 6:31 am • # 28 
Administrator

Again? Thought they tried this tactic and were denied.

PostPosted: 07/31/22 6:43 am • # 29 
Editorialist

I thought that was the case which is why I dug up the Inforwars filing.

But I can't get over the timing on this - if he'd declared bankruptcy months ago he might have had a chance but trying to do it when the courts are deciding how much to award the plaintiffs isn't going to work.

PostPosted: 08/02/22 12:43 pm • # 30 
Editorialist

Alex Jones says judge in his trial 'demonically possessed' and part of 'cult'
David Edwards

Embattled conspiracy theorist Alex Jones on Tuesday said that the judge who is trying a case against him was "demonically possessed" and part of a "cult."

For the second day this week, Jones skipped portions of his Austin trial, which will determine damages after a judge found him guilty for defaming victims of the Sandy Hook massacre.

Instead, Jones blasted Judge Maya Guerra Gamble and the attorneys on his internet broadcast.

"It's demonic," Jones said at the top of his show. "They all act ....

https://www.rawstory.com/alex-jones-judge-demonic/

video at source

PostPosted: 08/02/22 2:41 pm • # 31 
Editorialist

‘Cowardly’ Alex Jones made my life hell, testifies father of Sandy Hook victim
Kathryn Mannie

The father of a six-year-old who was killed during the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting testified Tuesday that conspiracy theorist Alex Jones was a coward who made his life a living hell.

Jones is currently embroiled in multiple defamation lawsuits over comments he made on his hugely popular far-right talk show Infowars, falsely reporting that the school shooting at Sandy Hook was a hoax and the distraught parents who lost their children that day were crisis actors.

Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis, parents of the late Jesse Lewis, took the stand and recounted living in fear of Jones’ followers after he popularized the Sandy Hook conspiracy theory. Many other parents of Sandy Hook victims allege they suffered the same abuse.

Heslin and Lewis are seeking US$150 million in damages from Jones and his media company Free Speech Systems.

In more than an hour of emotional testimony during which he often fought back tears, Heslin said he has endured online abuse, anonymous phone calls and harassment on the street.

“I can’t even describe the past nine-and-a-half years of hell I have had to endure because of the negligence and recklessness of Alex Jones and the propaganda he has peddled for his own profits and success,” Heslin testified on Tuesday.

“What was said about me and Sandy Hook itself resonates around the world,” he said. “As time went on, I truly realized how dangerous it was. … My life has been threatened. I fear for ...

https://globalnews.ca/news/9031356/alex ... efamation/

PostPosted: 08/02/22 3:21 pm • # 32 
Administrator

The Alex Joneses of the world used to be placed in institutions.

PostPosted: 08/03/22 2:36 pm • # 33 
Editorialist

Long article but ....

Alex Jones concedes Sandy Hook attack was '100 per cent real'

Jim Vertuno

AUSTIN, TEXAS - Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones testified Wednesday that he now understands it was irresponsible of him to declare the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre a hoax and that he now believes it was "100 per cent real."

Speaking a day after the parents of a 6-year-old boy who was killed in the 2012 attack testified about the suffering, death threats and harassment they've endured because of what Jones has trumpeted on his media platforms, the Infowars host told ...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/alex-jones ... -1.6012677

PostPosted: 08/03/22 3:09 pm • # 34 
Administrator

Jones is full of shyte. He's trying to mitigate the damage to his bank account.

PostPosted: 08/04/22 4:03 am • # 35 
Editorialist

PostPosted: 08/04/22 4:42 am • # 36 
Editorialist

Alex Jones Can’t Pretend His Way Out of This Reality
The Infowars host unsuccessfully tried to remain “in character” during a legal proceeding.

Charlie Warzel

The only way to shut up Alex Jones, for a moment, at least, is to place him inside a courtroom. For the past few days, the Infowars founder and conspiracy theorist has been in and out of a Travis County courthouse as one of his numerous defamation trials continues. The trial will determine how much Jones and his company must pay Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis, two parents from Newtown, Connecticut, whose 6-year-old son, Jesse, was killed in the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in 2012. In the years that followed that horrific massacre, Jones used his platform to spread lies that the shooting was a “false flag” operation, and that the grieving families were playing the role of actors in an elaborate government plot. “Jesse was real,” Lewis said of her dead son. She looked directly at Jones. “I am a real mom.”

Every weekday evening, our editors guide you through the biggest stories of the day, help you discover new ideas, and surprise you with moments of delight

The past two days of the Jones trial have been wrenching and shocking. Today, the plaintiffs’ lawyers revealed in dramatic fashion that Jones’s lawyers accidentally sent opposing counsel years worth of data from Jones’s personal cellphone, including emails and text messages. The contents of the phone, which Jones’s lawyers failed to mark as privileged, revealed that the nation’s second-most prominent conspiracy theorist had apparently perjured himself during his sworn testimony. Upon realizing the gravity of the situation, Jones sat stunned and red-faced, looking on the verge of tears. “This is your Perry Mason moment,” he said derisively.

Jones is right that this was indeed Perry Mason–level drama. What exactly ...

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... al/671045/

PostPosted: 08/04/22 8:15 am • # 37 
Editorialist

Anyone want to give odds on whether or not there are texts that discuss using bankruptcy to protect his assets?

Alex Jones, Under Questioning, Is Confronted With Evidence of Deception
The Infowars conspiracy theorist was presented with text messages from his own cellphone that his lawyers appeared to have accidentally sent to lawyers for Sandy Hook parents.

Elizabeth Williamson

In a brutal cross-examination on Wednesday in the trial of the conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, a lawyer for Sandy Hook parents produced text messages from Mr. Jones’s cellphone showing that he had withheld key evidence in defamation lawsuits brought by the families for lies he had spread about the 2012 school shooting.

The messages were apparently sent in error to the families’ lawyers by Mr. Jones’s legal team.

“Mr. Jones, did you know that 12 days ago, your attorneys messed up and sent me an entire digital copy of your entire cellphone with every text message you’ve sent for the past two years?” the parents’ lawyer, Mark Bankston, asked Mr. Jones.

The text messages were significant because Mr. Jones had claimed for years that he had searched his phone for texts about the Sandy Hook cases and found none.

“You know what perjury is, right?” Mr. Bankston asked Mr. Jones, who indicated that he did.

The disclosure of the texts provided a striking capstone to the final day of testimony in a trial to determine how much Mr. Jones must pay the parents of a child who died in the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., for broadcasting conspiracy theories that the shooting was a hoax and that the families were “actors.” The jury began deliberating late Wednesday.

The texts also revealed that Mr. Jones was warned about posting a false report about the coronavirus by a staff member calling the report “another Sandy Hook” for spreading disinformation about an event.

He acknowledged the staff member’s concerns, but ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/03/us/p ... -hook.html

If I have to hazard a guess his lawyers have had enough of him and, since they probably can't legally drop him as a client, this is a simple way of getting rid of him.

PostPosted: 08/04/22 12:33 pm • # 38 
Editorialist

PERJURY: Infowars host Alex Jones denied mistrial after he was proven to have lied under oath

https://occupydemocrats.com/2022/08/04/ ... -mistrial/

PostPosted: 08/04/22 4:20 pm • # 39 
Administrator

Quote:
If I have to hazard a guess his lawyers have had enough of him and, since they probably can't legally drop him as a client, this is a simple way of getting rid of him.

Or they figure they won't be getting paid.

PostPosted: 08/05/22 4:21 am • # 40 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Quote:

Or they figure they won't be getting paid.

Any time they spent on his case before he filed (and that has to be thousands of hours) would be classified as "pre-pleading debt" and, if the bankruptcy stands, would be subject to the bankruptcy court's ruling so, at best, they'd get pennies on the dollar there. And then there's the question of how much (if any) money he'll have available to pay the rest of their bill (i.e., for work performed after the filing).

Of course, that does mean that if he decides to sue them for incompetence he's going to have to find an attorney that will accept his "credit" or lack thereof.

PostPosted: 08/05/22 8:45 am • # 41 
Administrator

I'm thinking he has a big "POISON" sign on his back.

PostPosted: 08/05/22 9:59 am • # 42 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
I'm thinking he has a big "POISON" sign on his back.

Word is Rudy needs the work? :angel

PostPosted: 08/05/22 3:34 pm • # 43 
Editorialist

I have always wondered why people being sued can legally file bankruptcy? I can understand if it's your average "joe", but these rich bastards always do that. Should be illegal, imo.

PostPosted: 08/05/22 4:28 pm • # 44 
Administrator

Alex Jones must pay extra $45m for hoax claims

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canad ... gn=KARANGA

PostPosted: 08/06/22 7:04 am • # 45 
Editorialist

It takes real talent to turn a civil trial into a criminal one ....

https://imgur.com/gallery/IwWrN8Y

PostPosted: 08/06/22 8:07 am • # 46 
Administrator

shiftless2 wrote:
It takes real talent to turn a civil trial into a criminal one ....

https://imgur.com/gallery/IwWrN8Y

IMO, his lawyers turned on him when they realized that they were being led into committing a crime.

PostPosted: 08/06/22 9:10 am • # 47 
Editorialist

Alex Jones Shows Why We Need a Trump Trial
We need justice — and catharsis

George Dillard

The big, blustery man suddenly looked pretty small. With his hefty frame wedged into a suit, he was coughing and sweating profusely. He had turned a shade of pink that you usually only see in schoolchildren who have been caught red-handed. As the day went on, his eyes got wilder and wilder.

Alex Jones had finally entered a situation he couldn’t scramble out of, a zone he couldn’t flood with shit.

For decades, Jones has been able to say whatever he wants. He learned through experience that, if you say inflammatory things loudly enough and often enough, people will pay attention. In this particular case, he was on trial for repeatedly claiming, without evidence, that the murdered children in the Sandy Hook massacre weren’t real, and that their parents were “crisis actors.”

Jones has spent over 20 years spewing conspiracy theories to his audience. It’s made him a national figure, and many of his unhinged allegations — false flag operations, the deep state, crisis actors, shadowy plans by the government to imprison Americans — have found their way into the rhetoric of elected Republican politicians. His paranoid rants have poisoned our political discourse. They’ve also put a lot of money into his bank account — at times, more per day than a teacher at Sandy Hook Elementary School likely made in a decade — because they help to sell “Super Male Vitality” pills and bulletproof vests.

Maybe Jones actually believes all this stuff. Maybe not. It doesn’t matter, really, to what degree he’s evil and to what degree he’s stupid. His words and actions have had the effect they’ve had, and I have no desire to spend my time poking around among the cobwebs in Alex Jones’ brain to discern his true beliefs.

So what happens when a guy who has made a very lucrative living spewing immense quantities of hateful bullshit enters one of the very few places in American society where spewing bullshit can’t help you win?

After twenty years of ranting and raving with no filter, Jones found himself in a courtroom run by a no-nonsense judge. He still seemed to believe that he could say whatever he wanted in his broadcasts (he attacked the judge and the members of the jury while the trial was ongoing) and not have that come back to bite him hours or days later in the courtroom. In this, Jones was badly mistaken — his own lawyers had made the monumental mistake of sharing the contents of his phone with opposing counsel, and Jones found himself unable to squirm out of the reality of what he’d done.

When he tried to bluster and rant, Judge Maya Guerra Gamble shut him down. Jones seemed to think that ...

https://medium.com/politically-speaking ... 233be2128d

PostPosted: 08/07/22 4:18 am • # 48 
Editorialist

What does Alex Jones’ US$49.3M verdict mean for the future of misinformation?
Michael R. Sisak

Alex Jones is facing a hefty price tag for his lies about the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre — US$49.3 million in damages, and counting, for claiming the nation’s deadliest school shooting was a hoax — a punishing salvo in a fledgling war on harmful misinformation.

But what does this week’s verdict, the first of three Sandy Hook-related cases against Jones to be decided, mean for the larger misinformation ecosystem, a social media-fuelled world of election denial, COVID-19 skepticism and other dubious claims that the Infowars conspiracy theorist helped build?

“I think a lot of people are thinking of this as sort of a blow against fake news, and it’s important to realize that libel law deals with a very particular kind of fake news,” said Eugene Volokh, a First Amendment professor at the UCLA School of Law.

U.S. courts have long held that defamatory statements — falsehoods damaging the reputation of a person or a business — aren't protected as free speech, but lies about other subjects, like science, history or the government, are. For example, saying COVID-19 isn't real is not defamatory, but spreading lies about a doctor treating coronavirus patients is.

That distinction is why Jones, who attacked the parents of Sandy Hook victims and claimed the 2012 shooting was staged with actors to increase gun control, is being forced to pay up while Holocaust deniers, flat-earthers and vaccine skeptics are free to post their theories without much fear of a multimillion-dollar court judgment.

“Alex Jones was attacking individuals,” said Stephen D. Solomon, a law professor and founding editor of New York University’s First Amendment Watch. “And that’s important. A lot of disinformation does not attack individuals.”

Lawyers for the plaintiffs, the parents of one of 20 first graders killed at the Connecticut school in 2012, said they hoped a big-money verdict against Jones would serve as ...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/what-does- ... -1.6017413

PostPosted: 08/15/22 12:08 pm • # 49 
Editorialist

Georgia Republican Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene was heavily criticized after claiming that the families of children killed during the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting are "ruining" the life of Infowars host and noted conspiracy theorist Alex Jones.

MTG Says Sandy Hook Families 'Ruining' Alex Jones Is Unfair Since InfoWars Is Right 'Most Of The Time'

https://www.comicsands.com/greene-sandy ... 34978.html

Text and video at source

PostPosted: 08/16/22 8:20 am • # 50 
Editorialist

Case against Alex Jones can proceed, Connecticut judge says
The Associated Press Staff

A federal bankruptcy judge on Monday cleared the way for a defamation lawsuit in Connecticut to proceed against Infowars host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones.
The case was filed by relatives of some victims of the 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. Jones has falsely claimed that the nation's deadliest school shooting -- which killed 20 students and six educators -- was a hoax.

Jones' lawyer had sought to transfer the case to a federal bankruptcy court, rather than continue the case in Connecticut state court. That move brought the first day of jury selection to a sudden halt earlier this month.

However, Monday's ruling by Judge Julie Manning essentially allows the plaintiffs to continue the defamation lawsuit against just Jones as an individual, without Free Speech Systems, a company owned by Jones and a defendant in the Connecticut case.

"The plaintiffs' rights to have that process continue in the Connecticut Superior Court should not be disturbed," Manning wrote in the decision, adding that the plaintiffs' claims for damages were ready for trial.

A message was left seeking comment with Jones' attorney, Norm Pattis.

Chris Mattei, an attorney for the plaintiffs, praised the bankruptcy judge's decision. "We're grateful the bankruptcy court saw through Alex Jones's brazen effort to block ...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/case-again ... -1.6028543

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 60 posts ] New Topic Add Reply