It is currently 04/25/24 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
PostPosted: 05/15/18 8:45 am • # 1 
Administrator

Six ex-employees of German gunmaker Heckler & Koch have gone on trial in Stuttgart, accused of illegally sending guns to strife-torn parts of Mexico.

The indictment focuses on 4,500 G36 assault rifles and smaller firearms sent in 16 batches. Prosecutors say they went to violent Mexican states covered by a German arms export ban.

The defendants' lawyers are quoted as saying the guns went legally to a well-controlled police depot.

Mexico is plagued by gang warfare.

H&K guns, made in the south-western town of Oberndorf, are used in conflicts worldwide. Besides Mexico, they have gone to troops and militias in Pakistan, Myanmar (Burma), Saudi Arabia, Iran and Turkey.

The Stuttgart case was triggered by evidence against H&K presented by peace activist Jürgen Grässlin eight years ago, German media report.

Prosecutors say the exports to Mexico in 2006-2009 violated Germany's War Weapons Control Act and Foreign Trade Act.

Two former senior managers are among those in the dock. One of the six, a former marketing agent, was not in court on Tuesday - he is in Mexico and in poor health.

German broadcasters SWR and BR found evidence that G36 guns were used in a notorious militia attack on Mexican students in Iguala in 2014, in which six students died and 43 were kidnapped. All but one of the 43 disappeared without trace.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44122254

PostPosted: 05/15/18 11:09 am • # 2 
Administrator

The G36 is already being replaced in the German military because it can't shoot straight when it is hot outside or the gun heats up from constant firing. Another embarrassing tidbit for that world-famous German engineering.

PostPosted: 05/15/18 12:15 pm • # 3 
Administrator

jabra2 wrote:
The G36 is already being replaced in the German military because it can't shoot straight when it is hot outside or the gun heats up from constant firing. Another embarrassing tidbit for that world-famous German engineering.

Maybe the name "Koch" has something to do with it? ;)

PostPosted: 05/15/18 8:29 pm • # 4 
Administrator

oskar576 wrote:
jabra2 wrote:

Maybe the name "Koch" has something to do with it? ;)

Since I left German engineering went down the tubes, if I may say so. The German military spent a fortune to buy the G36 and you need a target of 12 Meter width to hit it at a distance of 500 Meter.
Embarrassing.
In Berlin they started to build a new super duper airport in, ahem, 2006. Originally planned to open in 2011, the very latest seems to be now 2020. Not one plane left from there yet but they had to replace the outdated equipment already to the tune of millions of Euros.
Embarrassing.
In Hamburg they build a new philharmony, fanciest design the World has ever seen. Problem is the noise from the subway which runs underneath the building. Makes classical music a little weird to listen to.
Embarrassing.
In Stuttgart they are building a new main railway station, underground. I won't live anymore when they're going to open that one up.
Embarrassing.
Wanna talk Diesel? Or our new "Homeland" minister Seehofer? I'm embarrassed to be from Bavaria like that idiot.

PostPosted: 05/16/18 7:06 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Since I left German engineering went down the tubes,

So its YOUR fault!!!!

I must admit that with their cars they did get carried away - I mean, do you really need 15 different suspension settings on a car that's only ever going to be driven on smooth tarmac?

PostPosted: 05/16/18 9:36 am • # 6 
Administrator

Cattleman wrote:

So its YOUR fault!!!!

I must admit that with their cars they did get carried away - I mean, do you really need 15 different suspension settings on a car that's only ever going to be driven on smooth tarmac?

Yes. Smooth tarmac requires racing mode. It's a new rule. An unstable car at 175 kph is a dangerous thing.

PostPosted: 05/16/18 2:52 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Cattleman wrote:

So its YOUR fault!!!!

Yes. Smooth tarmac requires racing mode. It's a new rule. An unstable car at 175 kph is a dangerous thing.

So what are the other 14 for?

And 175? A Veyron can do over 400 kph - I'm just wondering how long it will be before someone loses control and wipes out a small village.

PostPosted: 05/16/18 3:46 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Wouldn't trust our roads to handle much more than 175.

PostPosted: 05/16/18 6:45 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

Hamburg they build a new philharmony, fanciest design the World has ever seen. Problem is the noise from the subway which runs underneath the building. Makes classical music a little weird to listen to.
Embarrassing.
In Stuttgart they are building a new main railway station, underground. I won't live anymore when they're going to open that one up.
Embarrassing

So what's the problem with the Stuttgart one. Is the music from the music hall too much for the rail riders.

PostPosted: 05/16/18 8:18 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Stuttgart 21 - Germany's other engineering fiasco goes off the rails
Everyone in Germany has heard the jokes and seen the social media memes about Berlin's BER airport. But the Stuttgart 21 railway project has also developed into a logistical nightmare — and a sinkhole for public money.

A major transport hub that is costing too much and taking too long to build? Berliners aren't the only German city that can boast a major construction feat that has turned into a national joke and a sinkhole for public money.

The affluent southern German city of Stuttgart has been struggling to revamp its new railway system with a major project known as Stuttgart 21 (because it is supposed to ring in the 21st century), for over two decades. When construction began in 2010, the costs were put at €4.1 billion ($4.8 billion) — rising to €6.3 billion by the end of 2016.

But last week, that figure was also thrown out of the sleeper car when a financial assessment by the consultancy PwC — leaked to the German news agency DPA — put the expected costs at €7.6 billion, and shifted the date of completion back by a year to the end of 2024.

The reasons for the increased costs that filtered through to the German press included planning delays, unexpected increases in construction expenses, and environmental regulations designed to protect biodiversity in the region. The new assessment, which has not been published, was the subject of a board meeting at the headquarters of German rail operator Deutsche Bahn on Wednesday.

A glance at the construction site at the main railway station, and the overall plans, makes clear what an ambitious plan Stuttgart 21 represents. Its heart is the transformation of Stuttgart's main railway terminal into an underground station that will allow trains to pass through. Among other things, this involves putting a seven-story, 15,000-ton building onto an entirely new foundation made of 40 pillars several meters high — just to dig a tunnel.

A Herculean task

As well as this, Stuttgart 21 involves the creation of three new smaller city train stations, as well as a new train track linking Stuttgart's main station with its airport and the city of Ulm, some 75 kilometers (47 miles) to the south-east. The project also requires the creation of 60 kilometers of tunnels through the mountainous surrounding region.

In a way, the delays and ballooning budget are unsurprising — after all, transforming and burying an entire train station under a functioning city has never been attempted before in Germany. Nevertheless, the ongoing headaches and attendant problems could yet have political consequences. Deutsche Bahn board chairman (and Chancellor Angela Merkel's ex-chief-of-staff) Ronald Pofalla may well sack Stuttgart 21's project manager Manfred Leger, who has been running the site for four years this week.

But some critics say that the politicians themselves are the problem. Alexander Eisenkopf, professor of economy and transport policy at Zeppelin University, Friedrichshafen, criticized Stuttgart 21 for being a "political project" in the first place. "On the board of the Deutsche Bahn you have in Ronald Pofalla a former politician, and state secretaries in the supervisory board — that's a controversial arrangement," he told DPA.

If Deutsche Bahn were a private company, it would long since have stopped Stuttgart 21, he argued, but the construction was continuing because in the end taxpayers would foot the bill. "Stuttgart 21 is a textbook example of the risks and mistakes of politically-influenced major projects."

Criticism across the board

Other critics have raised very different concerns. The Berlin-based campaign group VCD, which promotes sustainable transport, called on both the government and Deutsche Bahn to investigate the delays, and make sure that the increased costs would not mean that vital infrastructure maintenance elsewhere in Germany would come up short.

"Stuttgart 21 was from the start an absolutely questionable project," VCD rail expert Philipp Kosok said in a statement posted on the group's website. "Much too expensive and of no substantial use. Now the new construction has been revealed to be a bottomless barrel."

The construction project has been peppered with criticism from other sides too. Hartmut Bäumer, a Green party member and former senior official in the local state transport ministry, this week condemned the government's lack of transparency over Stuttgart 21 - describing it as a "tactic of silence and downplaying of the facts and the risks."

http://www.dw.com/en/stuttgart-21-germa ... a-41782621

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply