It is currently 05/05/24 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6   Page 6 of 6   [ 143 posts ]
PostPosted: 07/24/21 7:51 am • # 126 
Editorialist

They're not the only ones calling for an investigation

FFRF calls for full investigation into Brett Kavanaugh

In the wake of bombshell reports about the FBI’s failure to fully vet Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, the Freedom From Religion Foundation is calling for an investigation.

Seven senators on Thursday said that newly released materials show the FBI failed to fully investigate sexual misconduct allegations against Kavanaugh when he was a nominee for the high court. The FBI received 4,500 tips, most of which were ignored.

Kavanaugh was credibly accused of sexual assault in an incident that the background investigation had apparently missed. Christine Blasey Ford risked her health and reputation by publicly testifying about the details of Kavanaugh assaulting her in the early 1980s, drawing death threats from Kavanaugh’s fevered supporters. Kavanaugh responded with righteous indignation, lashing out at U.S. senators who would dare to hold him accountable. “What goes around comes around,” he ominously promised.

Around the same time, it was discovered that Kavanaugh had upward of $200,000 in debt that mysteriously vanished just prior to his nomination to the high court. Given Kavanaugh’s lifestyle, it is reportedly unclear how he could have afforded to pay off these debts. This, too, must be investigated.

The FBI deserves much of the blame, but it was also hamstrung by a political process. The White House has the authority to request FBI background checks on nominees and controls the scope of that inquiry and any follow-up. This means the Trump White House, led by a man credibly accused of sexual assault by 26 women, controlled the contours of the Kavanaugh check. Kavanaugh was narrowly confirmed by the U.S. Senate in 2018.

The full extent of Blasey Ford’s claims must be investigated and reported. And the shady financial dealings must be brought to light.

If the investigation shows that Kavanaugh lied to Congress, that would be grounds for impeachment. Only one Supreme Court justice, Samuel Chase in 1804, has ever been impeached, although he was acquitted by the Senate. Regardless of the outcome, a thorough investigation would help to restore public confidence in the Supreme Court and in the nomination process, and begin to heal the damage that has been done over the past four years to one of the pillars of U.S. democracy.

https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/ite ... -kavanaugh

PostPosted: 07/25/21 4:19 pm • # 127 
Editorialist

yeah, he should be impeached. he is temperamentally unfit for the office.

PostPosted: 07/26/21 12:24 am • # 128 
Editorialist

Even the Republicans believed Blasey Ford but they went with the "some other dude did it" excuse to ignore her. I don't see the $200,000 debt as being a big deal. He was a bid deal lawyer and later judge so $200,000 is zip all. Most people have that in their mortgages alone.

Sadly, I don't see an impeachment going any differently for Kavanaugh than it did for Trump. The Repubs would just acquit writing it off as just a youthful good ole boy having himself a time.

PostPosted: 07/26/21 12:24 am • # 129 
Editorialist

Even the Republicans believed Blasey Ford but they went with the "some other dude did it" excuse to ignore her. I don't see the $200,000 debt as being a big deal. He was a bid deal lawyer and later judge so $200,000 is zip all. Most people have that in their mortgages alone.

Sadly, I don't see an impeachment going any differently for Kavanaugh than it did for Trump. The Repubs would just acquit writing it off as just a youthful good ole boy having himself a time.

PostPosted: 07/26/21 12:24 am • # 130 
Editorialist

PostPosted: 07/26/21 12:24 am • # 131 
Editorialist

PostPosted: 07/26/21 12:24 am • # 132 
Editorialist

PostPosted: 07/26/21 12:24 am • # 133 
Editorialist

PostPosted: 07/26/21 12:24 am • # 134 
Editorialist

PostPosted: 07/26/21 12:24 am • # 135 
Editorialist

PostPosted: 01/23/22 3:29 pm • # 136 
Editorialist

FBI faces accusations of impropriety in mishandling of Brett Kavanaugh’s background check

The FBI is now facing serious allegations that a background check it performed on U.S. Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, which was conducted after multiple women came forward with sexual assault allegations, “politically-constrained and perhaps fake.”

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), who is a senior member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, is leading the charge. The senator says there is adequate reason to believe that the FBI mishandled the investigation into Kavanaugh and perhaps even overlooked multiple potential witnesses. Whitehouse addressed his concerns in recent letter sent to Attorney General Merrick Garland.

Whitehouse wrote:

Quote:
“If standard procedures were violated, and the Bureau conducted a fake investigation rather than a sincere, thorough and professional one, that in my view merits congressional oversight to understand how, why, and at whose behest and with whose knowledge or connivance, this was done. The FBI ‘stonewall’ of all questions related to this episode provides little reassurance of its propriety.”

After Dr. Christine Blasey Ford delivered a powerful testimony in which she outlined the sexual assault she suffered at the hands of Kavanaugh when they were in high school, multiple witnesses came forward and contacted the FBI saying they could corroborate her claims. But according to Whitehouse, those witnesses couldn’t get their calls through to the bureau and instead they ...

https://tplnews.com/fbi-faces-accusatio ... und-check/

PostPosted: 02/26/22 2:40 pm • # 137 
Editorialist

Former federal prosecutor says Brett Kavanaugh probe must be reopened after FBI allegedly ignored thousands of tips about him

https://vozwire.com/former-federal-pros ... about-him/

PostPosted: 02/28/22 12:13 pm • # 138 
Editorialist

Nothing will ever happen to Brett Kavanaugh. The only avenue is impeachment. Some head will roll at DOJ and all will be forgotten.

PostPosted: 03/01/22 7:41 am • # 139 
Editorialist

queenoftheuniverse wrote:
Nothing will ever happen to Brett Kavanaugh. The only avenue is impeachment. Some head will roll at DOJ and all will be forgotten.

Unfortunately you're probably right.

PostPosted: 07/02/22 11:52 am • # 140 
Editorialist

Not that anything will happen ...

The FBI is on defense after accusations of impropriety in mishandling of Brett Kavanaugh's background check

The FBI is now facing serious allegations that a background check it performed on U.S. Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, which was conducted after multiple women came forward with sexual assault allegations, “politically-constrained and perhaps fake.”

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), who is a senior member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, is leading the charge. The senator says there is adequate reason to believe that the FBI mishandled the investigation into Kavanaugh and perhaps even ...

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), who is a senior member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, is leading the charge. The senator says there is adequate reason to believe that the FBI mishandled the investigation into Kavanaugh and perhaps even

PostPosted: 08/05/22 5:17 am • # 141 
Editorialist

FBI director Chris Wray admitted to @SenWhitehouse today that the bureau punted some 4,500 tips about Kavanaugh's sexual misconduct to the Trump White House in 2018, which then got to decide who the FBI interviewed in its sham investigation.

4,500 Tips About Kavanaugh Sexual Assault Were Punted to Trump White House, FBI Director Admits
Christopher Wray confirmed Thursday that the FBI sent thousands of tips to Trump's team, who then decided whom the FBI could interview in their probe.

Laura Bassett

On Thursday, during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, FBI Director Christopher Wray admitted to Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) that the bureau’s 2018 investigation into sexual assault allegations against then-Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh was a sham. The FBI had sent all relevant tips (the FBI’s assistant director, Jill Tyson, said there were about 4,500) to Donald Trump’s White House. From there, Trump’s team then decided whom the FBI could interview as part of its sexual misconduct investigation into Kavanaugh before he was confirmed.

According to the transcript: ...

https://jezebel.com/4-500-tips-about-ka ... 1849374172

PostPosted: 08/05/22 8:58 am • # 142 
Administrator

Makes Nixon look like a wee amateur.

PostPosted: 08/05/22 9:56 am • # 143 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Makes Nixon look like a wee amateur.

At least you can argue that, as unethical and illegal as Nixon's actions were, he seemed to have what he believed to be the best interests of the US at heart.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6   Page 6 of 6   [ 143 posts ] New Topic Add Reply