It is currently 03/28/24 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Hogwash
PostPosted: 07/30/18 9:38 am • # 1 
Editorialist

I found the following opinion article on NBC news yesterday.

The reason the media isn't as good as it once was is because there is so much of it and so much competition. The idea that the media, in general, is biased against conservatives and Republicans is just an excuse.

What do you think?

Media bias against conservatives is real, and part of the reason no one trusts the news now
It might not be conscious, but the way that reporters treat conservatives in their coverage has always shown their liberal leanings

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/media-bias-against-conservatives-real-part-reason-no-one-trusts-ncna895471

Post subject: Re: Hogwash
PostPosted: 07/30/18 9:45 am • # 2 
Editorialist

It may appear that way, because trump and right-wing nuts have done so many negative things that have upset the status quo - it seem like bias not just poor governing. That said, I think the article is BS.

PostPosted: 07/30/18 10:01 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Then there is this...

GOP slams media for failing to cover the positive aspects of Trump’s child detention policy

The Republican National Committee railed against the “mainstream media” on Twitter Saturday afternoon, hitting the media for its “negative” coverage of President Trump’s immigration policies.

“New study from the Media Research Center finds that 92% of news coverage related to @realDonaldTrump’s immigration policy is negative,” the GOP tweeted. “Help us hold the mainstream media accountable.”

https://thinkprogress.org/gop-media-coverage-immigration-2e71fe48b812/

Gee, maybe it's negative because reporting the fact that they are separating children and parents and banning entry based on religion doesn't come across as positive?

PostPosted: 07/30/18 10:09 am • # 4 
Administrator

Ok, GOP, instead of bitchng and moaning, what are the "positive aspects"?

PostPosted: 07/30/18 10:47 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Funny how there weren't any positive aspects to it when they were pleading with Grabem to put a stop to it while it was happening and their re-election chances were hanging in the balance.. Now they're back to pretending to be tough on immigration. No open borders for the GOP, nosiree. Gotta feed the base and that base needs lots of bull shit to keep it going.

PostPosted: 07/31/18 8:36 am • # 6 
Administrator

Karolinablue wrote:
It may appear that way, because trump and right-wing nuts have done so many negative things that have upset the status quo - it seem like bias not just poor governing. That said, I think the article is BS.

Expresses my own feelings/opinion too ~ I'm one who tries to always give credit where credit is due, regardless of politics ~ but I'm convinced the vast majority today's Rs [especially the elected] have fallen off the far right edge of the earth ~ :ey

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/31/18 9:24 am • # 7 
Editorialist

This is a consistent theme that is promoted and appeals to certain Americans; Convince them that they are being oppressed when no such oppression exists.

Christians think are being oppressed by things like same-sex marriage.
Working people think they are oppressed by 'big government' taxes.
Gun owners think they are oppressed by any gun regulations.

This literally flips reality.

PostPosted: 08/07/18 1:34 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

fervently disagree. this has been well studied, and there is no study that reaches this conclusion.

PostPosted: 08/07/18 3:51 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Is it now considered "bias" to call an idiot an idiot or is it simply reporting?

PostPosted: 08/07/18 5:23 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

Setting aside the current circumstance where there's no choice for anyone even remotely linking to the truth to be anything other than biased against blight wingers, there are some media that are biased against conservatives. But, at the same time, there are some media - besides Fox News - who are biased against liberals. It seems to me the split is clearly shown at election time when certain newspapers traditionally come out in support of the Dems and some come out in support of the 'Pubs.

Something I notice is that even thought the writer was playing the "poor little hard done by conservatives' card he never included Fox News as "media". I guess, even to those of right wing bent, Fox is just an entertainment channel. You know - Futurama, Hannity The Mindy Project, Judge Pirro, same/same, all sitcoms.

PostPosted: 08/08/18 11:57 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Is it now considered "bias" to call an idiot an idiot or is it simply reporting?

that is the problem, right? the Nazi's could make the same defense that the press was being hard on them. but the rest of us call it DOING THEIR JOB.

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply