It is currently 03/29/24 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: 08/09/18 12:30 pm • # 1 
Administrator

In leaked recording, key House Republican suggests GOP must keep House to protect Trump from Mueller

Washington (CNN) — In a newly leaked audio recording, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes, a California Republican, suggests that his party needs to retain control of the House of Representatives to protect President Donald Trump from special counsel Robert Mueller.

"If (Attorney General Jeff) Sessions won't un-recuse and Mueller won't clear the President, we're the only ones, which is really the danger ... we have to keep all these seats," Nunes can be heard saying on a recording from a private fundraiser aired by MSNBC on "The Rachel Maddow Show" on Wednesday. "We have to keep the majority."

The remarks appear to be a blunt assessment from Nunes, a top Trump ally in Congress who Democrats accuse of trying to help the White House with the Russia probe, that Republicans must keep their House majority in the midterm elections to shield Trump from the special counsel investigation.

More-> https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/09/politics ... index.html?

PostPosted: 08/11/18 6:48 am • # 2 
Administrator

Devin Nunes is a walking/talking moron ~ he is a DiC cheerleader and is totally enraptured with his own perceived "power" ~ :s

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/11/18 4:56 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

i think he just handed Democrats the golden ticket.

now, when the GOP gins up the impeachment talk, the Democrats have a similar piece of hype they can use.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 9:27 am • # 4 
Administrator

Nunes' idiocy is showcased by Paul Rosenzweig, who is a well-known/well-respected conservative voice ~ it gives me great pleasure that Rosenzweig is so disgusted with the entire GOP/TP and is willing to go public with his views ~ emphasis/bolding below is mine ~ Sooz

Lifelong Republican Explains Why Nunes Tapes Was the Tipping Point for Him Voting Democrat: GOP's Only Goal Is 'to Defend the President'
Paul Rosenzweig said the tape of Rep. Devin Nunes drains the GOP "of their moral authority."
By Elizabeth Preza / AlterNet / August 13, 2018, 4:14 AM GMT

Paul Rosenzweig, a lifelong Republican who worked with Kenneth Starr during the investigation of Bill Clinton, on Monday said he will now vote for a Democrat in the presidential election, arguing a clip of House Intelligence Committee Chairman Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) voicing the need to protect Donald Trump proves the party “no longer deserves [his] support.”

In a tape released last Thursday, Nunes—speaking to Republicans at a closed-door fundraiser—said retaining a GOP-majority Congress is instrumental to keeping Trump in power.

“If Sessions won't un-recuse and Mueller won't clear the president, we're the only ones,” Nunes told supporters last month.

Rosenzweig said that comment sparked the first time in a federal election he will vote for the Democratic party.

“It's the abdication of responsibility,” Rosenzweig explained. “The Republican Party seems to me to no longer deserve my support or, frankly the support of anybody who thinks that the legislative branch should act as a check and a balance against executive authoritarianism. Essentially, Rep. Nunes has said aloud what everybody is assuming, which is that his only goal and apparently the only goal of the party is to defend the president no matter what. And just that's not the right way for a legislative branch to function.”

Rosenzweig also ripped Nunes for abdicating his oversight role as House Intelligence Committee chairman.

“The intelligence committee has had a long and historical commitment to bipartisan oversight and inquiry of the activities of the intelligence community,” the lifelong Republican said. “…By and large since the 1970s, the idea of intelligence oversight has been the idea of the legislative branch standing as a bulwark against executive overreach.”

“The fact that congressman Nunes is so willing to forego that responsibility completely in favor of defending the president really drains him and—I’m sad to say—the party that I've been a part of for all of my adult life of their moral authority,” Rosenzweig argued.

Rosenzweig admitted that voting for Democrats won’t advance any “policy issues that are important” to him, but said “it would on the much larger issue of maintaining the nation's integrity, maintaining the rule of law, opposing a president who thinks the press is all fake news, who has spent the last year attacking the integrity of law enforcement, who has systemically derided the idea that Russia has attempted to and may have succeeded in interfering in our elections who has welcomed and embraced white nationalism.”

“That's not the Republican Party that I'm a part of,” Rosenzweig told CNN’s John Burnham. “That’s not the conservative view that I continue to adhere to.”

Watch below: [video accessible via the end link or at https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... _Rh1UWMud4]

https://www.alternet.org/lifelong-republican-explains-why-nunes-tapes-was-tipping-point-him-voting-democrat-gops-only-goal

PostPosted: 08/14/18 12:21 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

and again, to be clear, defending the president is an abdication of authority by the House.

they are not only under no obligation to defend the president, their role is constitutionally neutral to adversarial to the other branches. that is the whole basis of checks and balance.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply