It is currently 04/20/24 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: 08/12/18 8:33 am • # 1 
Administrator

WTF??? ~ :eek ~ personally, I'm convinced the world would be a much better place if more people shared Nick Driedger's morality/empathy/compassion ~ Sooz

A&W restaurant calls cops on white customer for buying breakfast for elderly Native woman
Bob Brigham / 11 Aug 2018 at 16:38 ET

Police were called on a white man who purchased breakfast for an “Indigenous Elder” at an A&W fast food restaurant.

Nick Driedger, the white man who had police called on him, told APTN News that the incident in Carston, Alberta was “clearly racist.”

He recounted the woman asking the couple in line ahead of him for a meal. When it was his turn at the counter, he added a sandwich for the woman.

“She just wanted a meal,” he explained.

The worker who called police allegedly said that loitering concerns were the basis of a store policy to ban people buying meals for others.

“I was furious,” he said. “I think it’s a basic human right to eat.”

The worker also claimed the woman was “menacing.”

“This is a little lady, maybe 100 pounds with a walker,” he estimated. “She couldn’t be menacing to anyone.”

Royal Canadian Mounted Police responded to the call briefly, but did not even interview Driedger.

“They just kind of shook their heads,” he said.

“For me to get all this attention for something that Indigenous people face every day it isn’t right,” Dreidger concluded. “It says a lot about our social norms.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/08/aw-restaurant-calls-cops-white-customer-buying-breakfast-elderly-native-woman/

PostPosted: 08/12/18 8:47 am • # 2 
Editorialist

I truly do not understand people like that - no heart, no empathy, is very hard for me to relate to. What is even worse there seems to be such a lack of common decency toward others lately, and not just confined to some countries.

PostPosted: 08/12/18 9:50 am • # 3 
Administrator

Karolinablue wrote:
I truly do not understand people like that - no heart, no empathy, is very hard for me to relate to. What is even worse there seems to be such a lack of common decency toward others lately, and not just confined to some countries.

Alberta is turning into Alabama.

PostPosted: 08/12/18 9:57 am • # 4 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Karolinablue wrote:

Alberta is turning into Alabama.

Good thing I left there.. :lol

edited to add: Both places. :b

Last edited by roseanne on 08/12/18 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08/12/18 9:57 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Karolinablue wrote:

Unfortunately, it seems to be that many that respond this way.

We see it in how they react to other stories and issues like immigration. Rather than reacting to the people coming here to escape violence or even just to make a better life with compassion and empathy, they react with fear, anger, and selfish concern.

It doesn't mean that one cannot be for more strict immigration laws. Yet I never read a comment such as; "I truly feel sorry for these people trying to escape violence, but perhaps we should help change their country and reduce the violence so they don't come here."

No, their comments do show "a lack of common decency toward others".

PostPosted: 08/12/18 1:37 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

the woman getting the meal was small.

but apparently, those that called the cops on her are so small you might mistake them for cockroaches.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply