It is currently 05/02/24 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 73 posts ]
PostPosted: 09/10/18 5:55 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

...are you in the storm's path? If so, please stay safe and evacuate if you can.

PostPosted: 09/10/18 6:08 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
...are you in the storm's path? If so, please stay safe and evacuate if you can.

Thanks roseanne - yes, I am in the thick of it. I have been through a few hurricanes since i moved south, but never a cat 4. I also lived in a brick town house then and knew some neighbors and my son was here, so I felt safer. Now, I am in a wood frame don't know any neighbors, and my son lives hundreds of miles away - so i am a bit shakier and nervous riding this out totally alone, but I have my water, batteries, snacks, and will hope for the best. I hate though, when the power goes out and it will, and when phone battery goes I will feel so isolated. Evacuation is not in my plans - unless I am forced.

PostPosted: 09/10/18 6:42 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I just read the entire coast in South Carolina is under mandatory evacuation ~ so sorry you are experiencing this, KB ~ is there any place east of you where you can hole up in a brick/mortar hotel for a couple of days?

Stay SAFE ~ we'll be tracking the storm online but please check in here when you can and let us know you're okay ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/10/18 6:59 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

sooz06 wrote:
I just read the entire coast in South Carolina is under mandatory evacuation ~ so sorry you are experiencing this, KB ~ is there any place east of you where you can hole up in a brick/mortar hotel for a couple of days?

Stay SAFE ~ we'll be tracking the storm online but please check in here when you can and let us know you're okay ~

Sooz

Thanks sooz, actually the thought of evacuating scares me more somehow. I am not partial to driving when I don't know where I am going. I came to driving late so i am a real nervous Nellie. I was in accident that totaled my car a few years ago (guy passed a red light and creamed me, I was lucky to be ok, he hit me right in the drivers side) and that did not help with my nerves driving. I will ride the storm out here, and will keep in touch the best i can :)

PostPosted: 09/10/18 7:05 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Forget it this time, it's already too late but see that you get at least a small generator for the next one.
Mine saved my ass after Irma.
Fridge, modem, computer and my portable A/C made the week after bearable.

Good luck in any case though.

PostPosted: 09/10/18 7:12 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

jabra2 wrote:
Forget it this time, it's already too late but see that you get at least a small generator for the next one.

Thanks, Jab. I live in an apartment complex, so not sure I can use a generator - will have to inquire, because losing power is the pits. .

PostPosted: 09/10/18 7:16 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

If you are talking a cell phone, get an adapter (if you don't have one) and charge it in your car. I hope there are shelters in your area.

PostPosted: 09/10/18 7:21 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
If you are talking a cell phone, get an adapter (if you don't have one) and charge it in your car. I hope there are shelters in your area.

I keep meaning to to get a car charger - too late now. They have shelters but I really, really, do not want to go to one alone. Just hoping I am able to stay put, maybe camp out in the tub lol

PostPosted: 09/11/18 8:50 am • # 9 
Editorialist

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Florence still far out in the Atlantic and expected to hit the coast by Fri/Sat?

Meaning there is plenty of time to prepare or evacuate.

PostPosted: 09/11/18 9:22 am • # 10 
Editorialist

John59 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Florence still far out in the Atlantic and expected to hit the coast by Fri/Sat?

Not plenty of time, Wed afternoon is when they rain is supposed to start - Thursday through Friday is when it is supposed to be here. I wrote about about my personal feelings about evacuating and driving and why it is not plausible for me. I am though, as prepared as I am able to be. We are under a 'voluntary evacuating' order - not sure what i would do if it was mandatory. Probably stick out my thumb and hitch a ride lol.

PostPosted: 09/11/18 10:21 am • # 11 
Editorialist

Karolinablue wrote:
John59 wrote:

Not plenty of time, Wed afternoon is when they rain is supposed to start - Thursday through Friday is when it is supposed to be here. I wrote about about my personal feelings about evacuating and driving and why it is not plausible for me. I am though, as prepared as I am able to be. We are under a 'voluntary evacuating' order - not sure what i would do if it was mandatory. Probably stick out my thumb and hitch a ride lol.

I can understand how you feel, Karolina. I would feel the same way and strongly resist leaving my home.

You mentioned living in an apartment complex - what are your neighbors doing? Can a few of you group together and evacuate?

PostPosted: 09/11/18 2:00 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

Been thru a couple of Cat 3's and one Cat 4.

Wasn't fun.

If you haven't done so already go out and buy a couple of flats of bottled water, make sure the car is fully gassed up, buy a bunch of batteries. And good luck.

PostPosted: 09/11/18 2:53 pm • # 13 
Editorialist

Look after yourself KB!

PostPosted: 09/11/18 4:41 pm • # 14 
Editorialist

John wrote. . . I can understand how you feel, Karolina. I would feel the same way and strongly resist leaving my home.

You mentioned living in an apartment complex - what are your neighbors doing? Can a few of you group together and evacuate?

I don't really know any of the neighbors anymore. Met one today though, and she is staying as of now - she has kids, dogs, and no where to evacuate to either - we said we will look out for one another if we get scared or whatever. The roads are a mess and it is too late now to go anywhere and get anywhere without hours and hours of travel, and some roads at a stand still. One of the maintenance men who lives here in the complex is staying and I have his number if I need anything immediate. He said he is not sure about structure damage - but expect leaks and if I see one in the ceiling poke a hole in it so it ill drain and not collapse. I just have to tough it out even if I am getting more nervous by the minute watching the news.

PostPosted: 09/11/18 4:42 pm • # 15 
Editorialist

Cattleman wrote:
Look after yourself KB!

Thanks, CM. ..

PostPosted: 09/11/18 4:47 pm • # 16 
Editorialist

shiftless2 wrote:
Been thru a couple of Cat 3's and one Cat 4.

Wasn't fun.

If you haven't done so already go out and buy a couple of flats of bottled water, make sure the car is fully gassed up, buy a bunch of batteries. And good luck.

Thanks shift - and i did just that and have gotten supplies in. I have been through a few hurricanes myself, but not any time recently just when i first moved south. - not a cat 4 though now that is scary. .

PostPosted: 09/11/18 7:45 pm • # 17 
Editorialist

Good luck to you, ms. Blue. Will think of you in the next few days, hoping you’re safe. You probably will come through safe, though uncomfortable. Good to have good neighbors there.

PostPosted: 09/11/18 7:58 pm • # 18 
Editorialist

grampatom wrote:
Good luck to you, ms. Blue. Will think of you in the next few days, hoping you’re safe. You probably will come through safe, though uncomfortable. Good to have good neighbors there.

Thank you so much for the good thoughts. . .

PostPosted: 09/11/18 8:23 pm • # 19 
Administrator

Karolinablue wrote:
jabra2 wrote:

Thanks, Jab. I live in an apartment complex, so not sure I can use a generator - will have to inquire, because losing power is the pits. .

I didn't give a damn about the noise. I ran an extension cord to my neighbors fridge and that took care of that.
Not sure if you still could get an external power pack for your phone. I bought one for about 10 bucks at walmart and it will charge my phone around seven times before going empty. How close are you to the coast?

PostPosted: 09/11/18 9:08 pm • # 20 
Editorialist

jabra2 wrote:
Karolinablue wrote:
jabra2 wrote:

I didn't give a damn about the noise. I ran an extension cord to my neighbors fridge and that took care of that.
Not sure if you still could get an external power pack for your phone. I bought one for about 10 bucks at walmart and it will charge my phone around seven times before going empty. How close are you to the coast?

My son, when he found out I did not have a wireless phone charger ordered one for me, and it is supposed to be here tomorrow - we will see. I hope so, hate to be without anything. I am on the coast for all intents and purposes, not that close to the beach area though. I would have had to leave if I did, no ifs and or buts.

I have to stop watching the updates - they seem to get worse and only make me more anxious. It is the waiting and the anticipation that is driving me batty. I am thrilled though I found three LED lantern lights that I bought ages ago and almost forgot about, and even had the nine AA batteries they took :) Prefer them to the flashlights and Yankee Candles I have.

PostPosted: 09/11/18 9:41 pm • # 21 
Editorialist

Hooray for finding the lantern lights KB!

When Sandy was headed our way, I put gallon ziploc bags of water in steel bowls in the freezer to make nice thick ice blocks that last way longer than ice cubes. We lucked out and didn't need them for that storm, but I have used them during other power outages. I always keep a few handy in the freezer now. One block can last more than 24 hours in a cooler or the fridge. You can also freeze water bottles as long as you open the lids a bit and pour a little out first to allow for expansion. Use them as ice blocks plus you get nice cold water to sip.

Wet washcloths in baggies are another good idea, so at least you have a way to wash your hands and/or freshen up if the water isn't working because of power loss.

Hang in there!

PostPosted: 09/11/18 9:52 pm • # 22 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
Hooray for finding the lantern lights KB!

When Sandy was headed our way, I put gallon ziploc bags of water in steel bowls in the freezer to make nice thick ice blocks that last way longer than ice cubes. We lucked out and didn't need them for that storm, but I have used them during other power outages. I always keep a few handy in the freezer now. One block can last more than 24 hours in a cooler or the fridge. You can also freeze water bottles as long as you open the lids a bit and pour a little out first to allow for expansion. Use them as ice blocks plus you get nice cold water to sip.

Wet washcloths in baggies are another good idea, so at least you have a way to wash your hands and/or freshen up if the water isn't working because of power loss.

Hang in there!

Thanks Chaos. I did put some water in bags read it somewhere recently. . Never thought of the wash cloth though. And, I will hang as long as i can if I don't go batty first listening to all the updates scaring the hell of me lol

PostPosted: 09/11/18 10:22 pm • # 23 
Editorialist

Seems everyone is worried over nothing... ;)

Pat Robertson Establishes A ‘Shield of Protection’ Against Hurricane Florence

Televangelist Pat Robertson spoke at a special prayer service at his Christian Broadcasting Network today, ordering Hurricane Florence not to harm any of his facilities and to turn back out to sea.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/pat-robertson-establishes-a-shield-of-protection-against-hurricane-florence/

PostPosted: 09/12/18 5:47 am • # 24 
Editorialist

John59 wrote:
Seems everyone is worried over nothing... ;)

Pat Robertson Establishes A ‘Shield of Protection’ Against Hurricane Florence

Televangelist Pat Robertson spoke at a special prayer service at his Christian Broadcasting Network today, ordering Hurricane Florence not to harm any of his facilities and to turn back out to sea.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/pat-robertson-establishes-a-shield-of-protection-against-hurricane-florence/

:lol My son sent me this yesterday - he said I needed a good laugh and he was right. If there is a God, I am sure he/she is probably laughing his/her almighty butt off too.

PostPosted: 09/12/18 7:54 am • # 25 
Editorialist

Karolinablue wrote:
:lol My son sent me this yesterday - he said I needed a good laugh and he was right. If there is a God, I am sure he/she is probably laughing his/her almighty butt off too.

That was my thought too - posted this for a laugh.

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 73 posts ] New Topic Add Reply