It is currently 05/17/24 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 73 posts ]
PostPosted: 09/16/18 1:19 pm • # 51 
Editorialist

Here's the latest on Hurricane Florence:

Parts of southeastern North Carolina and northeast South Carolina were expected to get an additional 3 to 6 inches of rain, with total accumulations of 30 to 40 inches likely, according to the hurricane center.

Meanwhile, central and western North Carolina, far northern South Carolina and southwest Virginia were expected to get an additional 5 to 10 inches of rain, with total accumulations of 15 to 20 inches likely, elevating the risk of landslides, the center said.

As of 9 a.m. Sunday morning, Florence had dropped nearly 24 inches of rain in Wilmington so far, creating a new record of yearly rainfall with more than three months left in the year, according to the National Weather Service’s Eastern Region.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wilmington-cut-extreme-flooding-florence-threatens-carolinas-still-more-rain-n910021

PostPosted: 09/16/18 1:39 pm • # 52 
Administrator

Thanks for the update, John ~ my local news last night said entry to and exit from Wilmington had been closed off due to heavy flooding and more expected ~ it also speculated it could take weeks to restore power ~

I sure hope we hear from KB much sooner than "weeks" ~ :g

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/19/18 5:45 pm • # 53 
Editorialist

Sheeeees baaaacck :) Just a quick note to say made it through and will tell more tomorrow. Whew, been through my share of hurricanes, but this was incredible on so many levels. I am lucky I got through with only loss of power, internet, phone, not so for some other residents. Met a lot of nice neighbors who watched out for me and helped so much. I just got power back yesterday afternoon - cable and internet about an hour ago. I don't necessarily like to tell online where I am from, but what I went through who cares lol I am in Hurricane Alley, in Wilmington, NC, and yep direct hit here.

Thank you all so much for your concern and good wishes :)

PostPosted: 09/19/18 6:03 pm • # 54 
Administrator

YAYYYYY!!! ~ SO HAPPY TO HEAR FROM YOU! ~ :fl :fl :fl

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/19/18 6:29 pm • # 55 
Editorialist

omg, that's such good news!

You're in a high rise, right? Is your building ok and still safe? Are you ok for water and groceries? Are you able to get food? Good news about the power. At least you have your air conditioning back, and you can start drying out the air. Are your neighbour and her kids ok?

PostPosted: 09/19/18 8:13 pm • # 56 
Administrator

I'm glad you made it through unharmed.
Now, start preparing for the next one. Make your list while memory is still fresh. :b

PostPosted: 09/19/18 8:37 pm • # 57 
Editorialist

Jab is wise. Glad you made it through okay KB.

PostPosted: 09/19/18 9:07 pm • # 58 
Administrator

jimwilliam wrote:
Jab is wise experienced in forgetting things missed the most after past hurricanes while the next one rolls around.

There. Fixed. :lol
I'm not kidding. Right during a extended power outage you make such wonderful plans to really be prepared the next time.
Then, when the shelves are empty again you remember those preparedness plans from the past.

PostPosted: 09/19/18 10:46 pm • # 59 
Editorialist

Good to hear you're safe and sound, KB.

PostPosted: 09/20/18 6:06 am • # 60 
Editorialist

Great news KB! :fl I thought about you a lot during the storm.

Edited to add: Trump says that if you had any yachts wash up in your area, you are lucky. He also wanted to bring you some food and says "Have a great time!" :eyes

PostPosted: 09/20/18 7:35 am • # 61 
Editorialist

Great news

PostPosted: 09/20/18 3:03 pm • # 62 
Editorialist

Glad to hear it KB.

PostPosted: 09/20/18 6:25 pm • # 63 
Editorialist

Thank you all for your concern and good wishes :fl

I have weathered several hurricanes here, but this was worse in so many ways - the length of it for one, amount of rain as well. It just went on and on, and it felt like the rain would never end. When I thought it would be less after the short lasting eye it rained the hardest yet. The winds may not have been cat 2 when it came in, but it sure felt like it. Four townhouses here lost their roof and flooded; three were empty but in one the people evacuated and their master bedroom ceiling fell in, so good they were not here. Lots of trees down and debris all over. The trees beautifully lined along the lake, old huge trees, many came down - some snapped in two as there was heavy lightening and thunder. I have a friend who lost part of his roof and his partner's mother's house was totaled. They live near Jacksonville up north from me, so it was a wide spread slowly moving hurricane. Flooding was and is still immense, as rivers crest and rise. At this time there are still no safe routes in and out of town.

The biggest scare though for me, was the tornado warnings. I live in a wooden frame townhouse and there is not really a safe place to take shelter. I got 3 emergency phone alerts for them and went to a stairwell - I will take a hurricane over a tornado any day as they come fast and leave total destruction behind them. The other worry was losing my phone charge, but a neighbor I met had the same phone and she let me charge i in her car. I used it very sparingly wanting to keep it for emergency alerts, and there were many, and to keep my son updated as he was so totally worried.

One good thing came out of this, I met so many neighbors who helped me personally and each other; some went above and beyond to make sure I had supplies and anything I needed, I was at the point where I was not thinking any longer that people were basically kind and caring in the long run (because of all the trumpers) this restored my faith that there are still many decent caring people out there.

I figured I had been through enough hurricanes before and knew the drill, but this storm was nothing I have ever seen or experienced. I told my son who I insisted and argued back and forth that he not come down here, and I was not about to go there as he wanted - too much hassle. I did not want to put him in harms way, and i needed to to keep my wits about me and not have to worry about him. Well, I told my son and family that if we get another storm here and i insist on staying they can feel free to call the men in the white coats and have me committed, as I must surely have lost my mind ;)

PostPosted: 09/20/18 8:40 pm • # 64 
Editorialist

Wow-you had quite the adventure KB!!

Did the phone charger your son ordered *ever* get there? :lol

PostPosted: 09/20/18 8:47 pm • # 65 
Administrator

WOW, KB ~ sounds like you had a REAL adventure ~ did your townhouse sustain physical damage? ~ did you get ANY sleep last week? ~ happy to know you were/are surrounded by people willing to help ~

I'm just happy you are safe ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/20/18 9:04 pm • # 66 
Editorialist

Chaos wrote : "Wow-you had quite the adventure KB!!"

Did the phone charger your son ordered *ever* get there?

Indeed I did. The charger did not arrive, but thankfully a neighbor had one and let me charge my phone in her car charger. We just got mail today for the first time in a week, but it has not come from Amazon yet. The roads are still very bad and flooded so that may be why.

Sooz wrote: WOW, KB ~ sounds like you had a REAL adventure ~ did your townhouse sustain physical damage? ~ did you get ANY sleep last week? ~ happy to know you were/are surrounded by people willing to help ~

I'm just happy you are safe ~

Thanks sooz. My townhouse did not get any damage nor any immediately near me - I am on the end so was a bit concerned the wind and rain would have more of a target as they are attached. I am so physically tired though from all the events and having to stay on alert, and different worries popping up. I feel like my body weighs a ton and need to stay in bed for a week as I hardy slept for 6 days, and only running on adrenaline.

PostPosted: 09/21/18 6:54 am • # 67 
Editorialist

Great to hear KB!
:elephant

PostPosted: 09/27/18 10:56 pm • # 68 
Editorialist

Are things starting to get back to normal now, KB? Roads? Flooding?

PostPosted: 09/28/18 6:31 am • # 69 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
Are things starting to get back to normal now, KB? Roads? Flooding?

Some roads still have standing water, and some roads washed out, but getting back to normal slowly but surely. It keeps raining though, not a lot of rain but almost everyday; in fact it is raining and thundering right now. The ground is so soaked trees are still falling here and causing road detours. Some streets the signal lights keep going out as power still goes on and off in different areas. I lost power the other morning for about 2hrs, which seemed like nothing after 6 days without it. Some areas still do not have internet or cable back.

As an aside - my charger came late yesterday afternoon. The kicker, you had to plug it into the wall to charge it lol It would have been useless even if it had come in time. I am going to get a car charger this weekend, maybe two, just to be sure :)

PostPosted: 09/28/18 6:56 am • # 70 
Editorialist

As an aside - my charger came late yesterday afternoon. The kicker, you had to plug it into the wall to charge it lol It would have been useless even if it had come in time.

Oh good grief! :lol I didn't even THINK about that!

My county here in NJ has had over 15 inches of rain in the past 90 days. Northernmost part of the state got over 28 inches. Obviously not much compared to what you got, but well over our average. Nothing gets a chance to dry out before it rains again. Mold and mildew thriving.

I keep wistfully gazing out the window at my empty clothesline... :(

PostPosted: 09/28/18 7:02 am • # 71 
Editorialist

Chaos wrote: My county here in NJ has had over 15 inches of rain in the past 90 days. Northernmost part of the state got over 28 inches. Obviously not much compared to what you got, but well over our average. Nothing gets a chance to dry out before it rains again. Mold and mildew thriving.

I keep wistfully gazing out the window at my empty clothesline... :(

I know a lot of areas are hit with more rain than usual. I read we had 26+ inches here in Wilmington just from the storm, but we have had so mach rain before that and even after - the ground has not had a chance to dry out even a bit.

PostPosted: 10/07/18 8:57 am • # 72 
What an interesting document this thread is!

I'm envious of you all for getting to read Karolina's chronicle of her life before, during, and after the hurricane, as it was happening.

The decision to go or stay must have taken it out of you, K. I understand your reluctance (refusal?) to get out on the highways among all those cars running from the hurricane. I feel exactly the same way when we have flood warnings here in Western Washington State, and even that tsunami warning a few years ago (I live on a hill from which I can see Puget Sound). You are such a good writer that I was there with you, reading your successive accounts, but without the suspense I would have felt if I had read them at the time.

PostPosted: 10/07/18 9:12 am • # 73 
Editorialist

Bellelettres wrote:
What an interesting document this thread is!

I'm envious of you all for getting to read Karolina's chronicle of her life before, during, and after the hurricane, as it was happening.

The decision to go or stay must have taken it out of you, K. I understand your reluctance (refusal?) to get out on the highways among all those cars running from the hurricane. I feel exactly the same way when we have flood warnings here in Western Washington State, and even that tsunami warning a few years ago (I live on a hill from which I can see Puget Sound). You are such a good writer that I was there with you, reading your successive accounts, but without the suspense I would have felt if I had read them at the time.

Thanks Belle. . .and yes, it was a refusal which my son was so upset over. There are still so many people without homes, apartments, and supplies here. The debris and downed trees while being cleaned up are still clogging streets it is so immense (we lost 37 trees on our property alone). They have sent up FEMA, food and supplies site, by the mall here; I had to go in that direction and the traffic backup went on for about a mile - a little less than the miles a week or so ago. Things are progressing, but slower than other supposed more powerful hurricanes. The length of it and the amount of rain for so long made it so destructive.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 73 posts ] New Topic Add Reply