It is currently 04/25/24 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 21 posts ]
PostPosted: 10/13/18 7:32 am • # 1 
Administrator

11 infant bodies found in funeral home ceiling

Eleven bodies have been discovered in a drop ceiling of a former funeral home in Detroit.

Video at link-> https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/10/1 ... es-vpx.hln

PostPosted: 10/13/18 8:29 am • # 2 
Editorialist

oskar - I guess there is no crime, corruption, bigotry, or criminal activity in Canada for you to point out - so you have to find all the articles you can about any kind of negativity in America and make it a total American thing. All the while you seem to dismiss the fact the majority of Americans are not criminals, depraved, corrupt, or commit mentally ill motivated acts, and do not tolerate such. While I do not object to the articles per se - I do to your snarky use of the word 'murrica/ns and also appearing to lump all of American and its people under the same negative umbrella. I may just imagine it or be sorely mistaken - but it almost appears to me as if you take some perverse pleasure from pointing out all the negativity about the US as you can find.

PostPosted: 10/13/18 9:02 am • # 3 
Administrator

Quote:
I may just imagine it or be sorely mistaken...

You do and you are. The difference is that we don't claim and have never claimed to be "the best", "the greatest", etc. country in the history of the world. We think we're the best country for us (Canadians).

PostPosted: 10/13/18 10:44 am • # 4 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Quote:
I may just imagine it or be sorely mistaken...

You do and you are. The difference is that we don't claim and have never claimed to be "the best", "the greatest", etc. country in the history of the world. We think we're the best country for us (Canadians).

That was not my point oskar, but ok since you missed it - maybe post some articles on the failings of Canada and its people once in a while or other countries - to at last appear you are not just prejudiced against American and Americans. Every time you lump all Americans as a collective negative - imo - you disrespect the Americans on this board who are anything but, and in fact quite the opposite of the negative light you constantly put America/ns in.

PostPosted: 10/13/18 12:02 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

With all due respect Karolina:

1. Canadians didn't make Donald Trump President;

2. Canada did not attack the American economy;

3. Hundreds of Canadians died in Afghanistan supporting an American war. In fact Canada's JTF-2 were the first commandoes into the country because they were able to do things American Special Forces couldn't. We certainly do not deserve to have your President label our country a "security risk";

4 By the same token it was Canadians who gave flights inbound to the U.S. a place to land when your country went all batshit crazy and threatened to shoot everything in the air down on 9/11. But we're supposedly the ones who have taken such great advantage of "America";

5. Why don't you try counting the number of hospital and supply ships and rescue teams we sent to New Orleans after Katrina just so this asshole you've elected can insult us;

6. Who do you think hid the American embassy staff during the Iranian hostage and smuggled them out of Iran under the noses of the Mullahs. Sorry it wasn't Matt Damon, John Goodman and a bunch of hoppped up CIA dummies. It was Canada and the Canadian ambassador who took the risks. But, according to America, we're the bad guys while you kiss and snuggle with assholes like Putin and Lil' Kim.

So, if you're wondering why Canadians are little testy about America right now, look to your own behaviours. For the moment the "Shining city of the hill" looks to us more like a methane fire in the dump.

PostPosted: 10/13/18 12:35 pm • # 6 
Administrator

But jim, that wasn't Murrica. That was Murrica.

I wonder how many times one has to repeat that there is a difference between a nation as a whole and it's individual citizens before it clicks, …..eh?... not to mention missing the sarcasm directed at the orange MAGA dude.

PostPosted: 10/13/18 12:56 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

I have to agree with KB.

There's crazy stuff that comes out of Canada too, but the U.S. has ten times as many people so the odds of more craziness is higher.

Stuff like...

Canada politician says crucifix 'not religious symbol'
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45842471

PostPosted: 10/13/18 1:01 pm • # 8 
Administrator

John59 wrote:
I have to agree with KB.

There's crazy stuff that comes out of Canada too, but the U.S. has ten times as many people so the odds of more craziness is higher.

Stuff like...

There's lots of crazy stuff here. There's even sick stuff and more corruption than we would like. We have governments that pass stupid laws, even illegal laws. I've posted some of it in the past and there was virtually no interest so I stopped going to the trouble. Any questions?

PostPosted: 10/13/18 1:11 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
But jim, that wasn't Murrica. That was Murrica.

I wonder how many times one has to repeat that there is a difference between a nation as a whole and it's individual citizens before it clicks, …..eh?... not to mention missing the sarcasm directed at the orange MAGA dude.

Just to be clear, there are many Americans I like and admire as individuals. However, they cannot escape the tarnish their leader has placed on their country.

Even though I couldn't stand the man and wanted nothing more than for him to be gone I was often embarrassed and ashamed of some of the stunts Stephen Harper pulled because he was out elected leader and spokesman for our country and I couldn't escape responsibility for his actions just by saying I didn't vote for him. I was even ashamed of our current ( and real sock puppet) of a Prime Minister when he not only abstained from voting to condemn the U.S. for moving it's embassy to Jerusalem but sent our Ambassador grovelling and squirming to Niki Haley's "friendship" party just afterwards so that she could honour those nations who stood with Israel's ability to kill Palestinians and steal their land at will.

(For those that don't know, Stephen Harper was our version of Grabem. Sort of a trial run of megalomania run amok that you guys should have paid attention to before installing Grabem.)

Right now Canadians and, I think, most of the world consider the United States to be the first among equals of the list of shit hole countries your leader seems to have in his head. Your vote today in the Human Rights Council (which I thought you had abandoned) shows how low you have sunk. Voting to celebrate countries who slaughter their citizens because of who they love just so that you don't have to face up to the fact you joyfully murder your own citizens in the name of revenge. Yee Gods!!!

PostPosted: 10/13/18 1:21 pm • # 10 
Administrator

You're preaching to the choir here, jim ~

All VoC members are encouraged to speak whatever is on her/his mind ~ some of us have sensitivities because of events out of our personal control ... and we expect those sensitivities to be respected ~ that sometimes means tailoring our language used ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 10/13/18 1:22 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

John59 wrote:
I have to agree with KB.

Stuff like...

Oh you're right, there, John. This new guy in Quebec is likely going to be Canada's cross to bear ( so to speak) for the next few years. This religious symbol debate in Quebec has been going on for quite awhile though. It's not something that he created. Also, you and the BBC are mistating what he is saying. He's not denying the cross in general is a religious symbol. He's saying that particular cross is a cultural rather than religious symbol. I'm not saying he's right or wrong just recharacterizing what he's saying.

Actually I'm surprised nobody in the United States has attacked the Hawaiian state flag which incoporates the Union Jack with it's crosses.

PostPosted: 10/13/18 1:25 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

Any questions?

Yes, some honest questions;

Do you think Canada has the same liberal/conservative division that the U.S. has?

Are your liberals and conservatives similar or different than ours?

PostPosted: 10/13/18 1:38 pm • # 13 
Administrator

Quote:
Do you think Canada has the same liberal/conservative division that the U.S. has?

To some extent but not to the extreme level as in the US. IMO, that has to do with there being more than two political parties, a Supreme Court that actually does its job in reigning in government abuse without bias/partisanship, strict and enforced political campaign lawsand the tendency of Canadians to mind their own business unless something is wrong (in reality, not some silly conspiracy theory). Mind, we have our share of whackos and most are tolerated and not taken too seriously unless they start affecting peoples' lives.

Quote:
Are your liberals and conservatives similar or different than ours?

Better define your terms, first.

PostPosted: 10/13/18 5:31 pm • # 14 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:
With all due respect Karolina:

1. Canadians didn't make Donald Trump President;

2. Canada did not attack the American economy;

3. Hundreds of Canadians died in Afghanistan supporting an American war. In fact Canada's JTF-2 were the first commandoes into the country because they were able to do things American Special Forces couldn't. We certainly do not deserve to have your President label our country a "security risk";

4 By the same token it was Canadians who gave flights inbound to the U.S. a place to land when your country went all batshit crazy and threatened to shoot everything in the air down on 9/11. But we're supposedly the ones who have taken such great advantage of "America";

5. Why don't you try counting the number of hospital and supply ships and rescue teams we sent to New Orleans after Katrina just so this asshole you've elected can insult us;

6. Who do you think hid the American embassy staff during the Iranian hostage and smuggled them out of Iran under the noses of the Mullahs. Sorry it wasn't Matt Damon, John Goodman and a bunch of hoppped up CIA dummies. It was Canada and the Canadian ambassador who took the risks. But, according to America, we're the bad guys while you kiss and snuggle with assholes like Putin and Lil' Kim.

So, if you're wondering why Canadians are little testy about America right now, look to your own behaviours. For the moment the "Shining city of the hill" looks to us more like a methane fire in the dump.

Jim, I cannot defend or argue with any of those things with the exception of looking to my own behaviors. I am not in the least defensive of any of the negatives some Americans or American politicians display - what i take offense at is lumping all of Americans together. I do not take responsibility for trump; I did not vote for him and I did not contain my embarrassment, disappointment, or disgust for this current administration. I also do not take responsibility for the possible criminal actions, bigotry, or many other things that some (the operative word is SOME) Americans commit.

The post that annoyed me has nothing to do with politics, but some negative criminal events under the title Making Murica Great Again. As is oskar's wont he posts many articles of negatively here that have nothing to do with politics or politicians, and they imply by their title and nature Americans are like whatever negative story he posts about. Most of those articles and events can happen anywhere, but by his titles and lumping Americans together he implies it is all of us who display the negativity, or at least tolerate it.

If he is on a mission trying to point out we are not the greatest country in the world as some Americans have espoused, to my knowledge no American on this board has ever said anything to that effect, so it comes across more like a vendetta than a mission to me.

PostPosted: 10/13/18 5:40 pm • # 15 
Administrator

If you want to take it personally, go ahead. I'm done trying to explain it.

PostPosted: 10/13/18 5:53 pm • # 16 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
If you want to take it personally, go ahead. I'm done trying to explain it.

Thank you, I was waiting with bated breath for you to give me permission to have my own opinion. As far as you actually explaining it - we can agree it seems to be a lost cause.

PostPosted: 10/13/18 6:02 pm • # 17 
Administrator

True. I can't make you understand it.

PostPosted: 10/13/18 6:30 pm • # 18 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:

Nor can I make you understand - so it is a stalemate, I guess. The bigger difference between us though is if I felt I might have offended someone - I would tell them I am sorry and did not/do not mean it in the way it may have been taken, and try to be more aware how I might be coming across, but sadly we seem to be different in our thinking and understanding even on that level. I gladly give you last word to say whatever you wish - beating a dead horse is not something I want to participate in.

PostPosted: 10/13/18 6:44 pm • # 19 
Editorialist

I don't take offense when oskar does his "Murrica" posts because I know he's talking about the country, not me. My gut reaction is usually shame and my inability to defend things. :o Most of the time I agree with him anyway.

Yes, he (and I.......and maybe jim) have all posted bad things that happen in Canada. As he said, very few people respond anyway, so we leave it alone.

Remember too, that so many things that happens in the US affects Canada. We have a vested interest in what is going on there. As Canadians, me as an expat. It doesn't usually flow the other way, if you know what I mean.

PostPosted: 10/13/18 7:07 pm • # 20 
Administrator

Karolinablue wrote:
oskar576 wrote:

Nor can I make you understand - so it is a stalemate, I guess. The bigger difference between us though is if I felt I might have offended someone - I would tell them I am sorry and did not/do not mean it in the way it may have been taken, and try to be more aware how I might be coming across, but sadly we seem to be different in our thinking and understanding even on that level. I gladly give you last word to say whatever you wish - beating a dead horse is not something I want to participate in.

Offended? Really?

PostPosted: 10/14/18 8:05 am • # 21 
Editorialist

I can understand comments about "Murrica" regarding things that tend to be unique to my country, such as shootings, but the story in the opening post could have happened anywhere.

Criticizing my country for certain things is fine and I do it all the time, but I agree with KB that sometimes it seems a bit much.

At least Oskar doesn't go so far as others I have seen post on other websites that claim 9/11 was justified and America deserved it.

Page 1 of 1   [ 21 posts ] New Topic Add Reply