It is currently 03/29/24 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Plus ca change..
PostPosted: 10/14/18 12:03 pm • # 1 
Administrator

4 dead, 1 injured in shooting at toddler's birthday party

CNN) — An altercation between two families at a toddler's birthday party in Texas led to a shooting that left four men dead and one injured, authorities said.

Police responded to reports of a shooting at a 1-year-old's party in Taft on Saturday, said Sgt. Nathan Brandley of the Texas Department of Public Safety.

A bit more-> https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/14/us/texas ... index.html?

Post subject: Re: Plus ca change..
PostPosted: 10/16/18 7:55 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Now that's "Murrica".

PostPosted: 10/16/18 8:13 am • # 3 
Administrator

John59 wrote:
Now that's "Murrica".

It's evolutionary pressure in action.

PostPosted: 10/16/18 9:12 am • # 4 
Editorialist

John59 wrote:
Now that's "Murrica".

So sorry to see you have that opinion, John. I see it as some very misguided people lacking any self-control or judgement that happen to live in America, and if they did not have guns I am sure knives and fists would have been flying.

Looked up out of curiosity if American did lead in gun shootings per capita compared to other countries, and we listed 31st on one list - there are many of them and I did not see one where we led in this sort of thing. So should we concur the results reflect all the people who live there - or just some who break laws; even if there are many – ‘many’ is not the whole country but a portion, and should not condemn all the people who live there.

That said, so there is no misunderstanding, I am for gun control and do think being able to buy them so easily does give unstable people easy access to them. I also believe that those people will find a way to vent their anger in other ways and that is not indigenous to America, but to their own nature.

PostPosted: 10/16/18 10:08 am • # 5 
Administrator

Quote:
Looked up out of curiosity if American did lead in gun shootings per capita compared to other countries, and we listed 31st on one list - there are many of them and I did not see one where we led in this sort of thing.

We definitely do not lead with competitors from Honduras, Venezuela, Swaziland, Guatemala etc.
We might be #1 if we only compare with other so-called civilized countries like European countries, Canada, Australia.

PostPosted: 10/16/18 10:20 am • # 6 
Editorialist

Well, at least shooting is a little bit less messy than this one:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4549407/fath ... -chainsaw/

PostPosted: 10/16/18 11:56 am • # 7 
Administrator

jimwilliam wrote:
Well, at least shooting is a little bit less messy than this one:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4549407/fath ... -chainsaw/

A couple of good ol' boys doing what they do best- feudin'.

PostPosted: 10/17/18 3:27 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

Karolinablue wrote:
John59 wrote:
Now that's "Murrica".

So sorry to see you have that opinion, John. I see it as some very misguided people lacking any self-control or judgement that happen to live in America, and if they did not have guns I am sure knives and fists would have been flying.

Looked up out of curiosity if American did lead in gun shootings per capita compared to other countries, and we listed 31st on one list - there are many of them and I did not see one where we led in this sort of thing. So should we concur the results reflect all the people who live there - or just some who break laws; even if there are many – ‘many’ is not the whole country but a portion, and should not condemn all the people who live there.

That said, so there is no misunderstanding, I am for gun control and do think being able to buy them so easily does give unstable people easy access to them. I also believe that those people will find a way to vent their anger in other ways and that is not indigenous to America, but to their own nature.

I meant that in the sense that this is something for which America deserves criticism.

Not sure what lists you looked at, but here is something;

"The US has one of the highest rates of death by firearm in the developed world, according to World Health Organization data."
https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/03/americas/us-gun-statistics/index.html

PostPosted: 10/17/18 5:33 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

John59 wrote:
Karolinablue wrote:
John59 wrote:
Now that's "Murrica".

I meant that in the sense that this is something for which America deserves criticism.

Not sure what lists you looked at, but here is something;

"The US has one of the highest rates of death by firearm in the developed world, according to World Health Organization data."
https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/03/americas/us-gun-statistics/index.html

I just googled it and read the first few entries. I agree the American government deserves criticism also and in a lot of areas not just gun control, but that does not mean all Americans agree with their government - or that is America or its people in total. My only real sensitivity though, is I don't like it when the criticism comes in the form of pointing out incidents that can happen anywhere and imply that is America, and Americans.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply