It is currently 04/19/24 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/10/18 3:33 pm • # 1 
Administrator

EXCELLENT NEWS: Planned Parenthood lives to fight another day! ~ Planned Parenthood is a fully licensed medical provider and offers far far more beyond abortion services ~ pay special attention to the 2d paragraph that notes who voted how for a BIG surprise ~ emphasis/bolding below is mine ~ Sooz

Supreme Court sides with Planned Parenthood after states try to cut off Medicaid funding
The 6-3 denial is a big victory for health care rights — for now.
By Matthew Chapman / AlterNet / December 10, 2018, 8:17 AM GMT

On Monday, the Supreme Court denied appeal of two lower court rulings against state laws terminating Medicaid contracts with Planned Parenthood — leaving intact decisions that protected the provider in a victory for health care and reproductive rights activists.

The decision to deny certiorari was 6-3, with Chief Justice John Roberts and embattled new Justice Brett Kavanaugh siding with Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor, and Elena Kagan, over the objections of Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, and Neil Gorsuch. It takes four justices to grant certiorari to a case.

The cases originate with Louisiana and Kansas' attempts to "defund" Planned Parenthood following the discredited 2015 video from anti-choice activist David Daleiden and the Center for Medical Progress, which was deceptively edited to make it look like Planned Parenthood technicians were selling the body parts of aborted embryos to medical researchers. Excluding Planned Parenthood from Medicaid would have serious consequences. 60 percent of Planned Parenthood patients rely on either Medicaid or Title IX grants to cover their cost, and 54 percent of Planned Parenthood clinics are in "health professional shortage areas, rural or medically underserved areas."

Health officials warned that excluding a qualified medical provider from a Medicaid contract solely based on politics is against federal law when Texas made a similar move. And the Fifth and Tenth Circuits subsequently ruled that Planned Parenthood and individual Medicaid recipients could challenge Louisiana and Kansas, and were likely to prevail in claims that terminating the contracts was illegal.

While this decision is good news, it does not mean Planned Parenthood is totally in the clear. Since the justices declined to review the decisions, rather than taking them up and affirming them, they did not create a nationwide precedent — and a separate lawsuit continues over Arkansas' attempt to defund Planned Parenthood, which the Eighth Circuit is currently allowing.

Nonetheless, women can breathe more easily after this ruling, and hope that, at least for now, it is a sign that the Court is wary of moving toward right-wing judicial fiat that the GOP has sought.

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/supreme-court-planned-parenthood-medicaid-victory

PostPosted: 12/11/18 3:36 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

I know I should be happy about this ruling. But I'm suspicious of ulterior motives.

I guess that's going to be my reaction to every decision now that f-n DONALD has been able to stack the court.

PostPosted: 12/12/18 1:23 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

I expect to see Roberts move to the center. He seems to have great respect for the institution on the Supreme Court and while he is Catholic and conservative, he is not blindly and rabidly political. I believe he will preserve the reputation of the court whenever he can.

PostPosted: 12/12/18 2:13 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

that is a hopeful expectation. i am not sure i share it, but i am entertaining it.

PostPosted: 12/12/18 2:18 pm • # 5 
Administrator

There should be left-right bias in the courts at all. That USian politicians actually encourage bias baffles me.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply