It is currently 03/29/24 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/13/18 1:17 pm • # 1 
Administrator

This is hilarious.

The US has accused China and Russia of using "opaque" and "corrupt" practices to expand their influence in Africa.

US National Security Adviser John Bolton said the two nations were "deliberately and aggressively" attempting to gain an economic advantage over the US on the continent.

He said the Trump administration's new strategy for Africa would focus on trade and countering terrorism.

He warned the US would no longer fund "unproductive" peacekeeping efforts.

"Under our new approach, every decision we make, every policy we pursue, and every dollar of aid we spend will further US priorities in the region," he said in a speech at the Heritage Foundation in Washington.

More-> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46559132

PostPosted: 12/13/18 3:27 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

we are about 20 years late to the picnic on Africa. i suspect that will cost us dearly.

PostPosted: 12/13/18 6:30 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

In Bolton's mind I wonder how cutting aid and support to African countries is going to advance American interests when China is more than happy to fill the gap and promote Chinese interests by advancing African interests. China is pouring billions of dollars into Africa for infrastructure and social programs and it readying it's first peacekeeping forces. Because of the amount of investment and business opportunities there, the continent is being flooded with Chinese investors. You can't move in some of the Lusaka shopping centres for fear of spilling someone's wonton soup.

There's no doubt the America aid (especially from USAid) does a lot of good but if Bolton thinks threatening to cut it off if African governments don't crawl before him, he's got a hard lesson coming.

PostPosted: 12/13/18 6:33 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Especially "aid" with even more strings attached. Expect more attempts at "regime change" type of aid.

PostPosted: 12/13/18 7:43 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

i never really cared for our aid program. they are always asking for things like abstinence only training, etc, in exchange for aid. it is kinda repulsive and resembles extortion to me.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply