It is currently 03/28/24 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: RIDICULOUS?
PostPosted: 02/07/19 5:54 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

IT IS RIDICULOUS TO HAVE ORGASMS OF INDIGNANT SNIFFLES PERPETUATING THE ALLEGED WRONG DOINGS OF VARIOUS AND SUNDRY POLITICIANS AND/OR OTHERWISE WELL KNOWN PERSONS.

I'VE HAD IT.

MY EX-HUSBAND WAS TOLD HIS MOTHER HAD INDIAN ANCESTRY. HE GREW UP IN MESA, AZ. HE BELIEVED HIS MOTHER. HE LIVED WHERE INDIAN HISTORY WAS NOTICED. HE IS NOW 90 YEARS OLD. HE DRESSES LIKE AN INDIAN, WITH LONG HAIR, HEAD BAND, AND FRINGED CLOTHING. HE IS NOT INSANE. HE HAS DRESSED LIKE THIS AND WORN HIS HAIR LIKE THIS FOR ALMOST FIFTY YEARS. HE HAD A FEDERAL SECURITY CLEARANCE FOR A GOOD PART OF THAT TIME. HE 'BELIEVED HIS MOTHER'S CLAIM TO NATIVE AMERICAN BLOOD. HE IS PROUD OF THAT ANCESTRY. HE REFERS TO IT OFTEN. SO WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG, OR CRIMINAL, OR NOTEWORTHY, OR INSANE, ABOUT ELIZABETH WARREN BELIEVING HER HERITAGE. WHY THE HELL NEEDS THE SUBJECT BE BEAT TO DEATH, TURNED OVER DAILY, SEEKING SOME EVIL INTENT UPON HER BELIEF. IT IS OBVIOUS THAT LONG, LONG BEFORE SHE WAS A SENATOR, SHE THOUGHT SHE WAS DESCENDED FROM "AMERICAN INDIAN" FOREBEARS. RIDICULOUS.

THE GOVERNOR OF VIRGINIA WAS ONCE A YOUNG MAN IN MEDICAL SCHOOL. IS THERE ANYONE OF AGE WHO IS UNAWARE OF THE SOMETIMES IRREVERENT AND PROFANE HUMOR OFTEN EXHIBITED BY THOSE ATTENDING MEDICAL SCHOOL? IS IT REALLY NEEDFUL FOR BLACK PEOPLE TO SUDDENLY BECOME INCENSED, FORM FOAMING AT THE MOUTH, SNARLING MOBS AND DEMAND A MATURE PUBLIC FIGURE ACTUALLY REMOVE HIMSELF FROM ELECTED OFFICE BECAUSE HE (THAT MATURE ELECTED OFFICIAL) DID SOMETHING THAT WAS NOT EVEN REMOTELY INJURIOUS TO ANYONE, AT A COLLEGE FUNCTION, OVER TWENTY YEARS AGO. "BLACKFACE" WAS NO A DEMEANING OF BLACK PEOPLE. BLACK MUSIC WAS ENJOYED BY WHITE PEOPLE. AT THE TIME OF THE MINSTREL SHOWS, BLACK PEOPLE WERE SLAVES AND WERE NOT PERMITTED TO PERFORM FOR MONEY. MANY WHITE PEOPLE HAD NEVER HEARD THEIR MUSIC, SINGING, POETRY, OR SEEN THEIR DANCING AND MUSIC PLAYING. THE ONLY WAY THE WORLD COULD LEARN OF THEIR GIFTS BACK THEN WAS FOR WHITE PEOPLE TO PUT ON BLACK FACE AND MIMIC THEM. IT WAS AN ADVANCEMENT OF THE BLACK CULTURE, AND EVERYONE KNEW IT WAS WHITE PEOPLE DOING WHAT THEY LEARNED FROM BLACK PEOPLE. SO WHAT THE HELL IS THE PROBLEM. AL JOLSON IS A REVERED AMERICAN ENTERTAINER OF JEWISH ANCESTRY. DO WE REALLY WANT TO EQUATE THE INTENT OF "BLACK FACE" ENTERTAINERS, AND COLLEGE SKITS, WITH PUBLIC LYNCHINGS? WITH POLICE PROFILING? WITH SLAVERY? WITH SPITTING IN A DARK FACED PERSON'S FACE? RIDICULOUS.

BEING AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY BITCH AND GRIPER, I COME DOWN ON TRUMP'S SIDE IN HIS MISSPOKEN SENTENCE. IF ONE LISTENS TO ANY OF THE THOUSANDS(?) OF VIDEOS OF TRUMP SCREWING UP OF THE SENTENCE HE INTENDED TO SAY, BY PUTTING IN "CIVIL RIGHTS," INSTEAD OF "SLAVERY," IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO NOT RECOGNIZE THAT THE PRESIDENT MISSPOKE, AND THERE WAS THE PERCEPTIBLE HESITATION, A LOOK OF CONSTERNATION ON HIS FACE, AS HE REALIZED THE WRONG WORDS WERE COMING OUT OF IS MOUTH. (THAT PARTICULAR SECTION OF THE SPEECH WAS SO CONVOLUTED, WITH SO MANY SYLLABLES, SO MANY SPEECH CONTROLLING COMMAS, THAT IF I DIDN'T KNOW BETTER, I'D THINK I WROTE IT. I HAVE A HABIT OF RUN ON SENTENCES AND ATROCIOUS SPEECH PATTERNS.) THIS GUY IS VAIN. HE IS, ACCORDING TO THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE, OUR ELECTED PRESIDENT. HE IS NOT GOING TO SAY, "OOOPS, I MISSPOKE." HE'S GONNA GO ON SAILING THROUGH THE SPEECH AND HOPING THAT THE LISTENERS MINDS WILL CONVINCE THEM THAT HE SAID THE CORRECT WORDS IN THAT SENTENCE. FAR FROM BEING A FAN OF HIS, I SAY "FAGGETABOUDIT." THIS BULL SHIT IS NOT ANYTHING ABOUT WHICH TO IMPEACH HIM, IMPRISON HIM, OR HANG HIM. IT'S A BLUNDER IN A SPEECH. IT IS DISTRACTING FROM THE REAL PROBLEMS OF HIS PRESIDENCY WHICH THREATEN THE FUTURE OF THE COUNTRY AND THE PROTECTION OF LAW AND ORDER IN THE USA. THIS DEVIATION FROM SOLVING THE REAL PROBLEMS IS, Y'KNOW, IMHO, RIDICULOUS.

IF WE PERMIT OURSELVES TO BE SIDETRACKED BY SUCH TRIVIA FOR ANOTHER WEEK, WE WILL BE CONFRONTED BY EITHER AN "ACCEPTABLE" TO THE PRESIDENT AND NANCY PELOSI AND MITCH MC MCCONNELL PROPOSAL FOR A BORDER TREATMENT, OR A DECLARATION OF A NATIONAL EMERGENCY. MEANWHILE, LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ON THE MUELLER INVESTIGATION IS PRODUCING LITTLE NEW INFORMATION. WE'RE TOO BUSY CLAMORING FOR NEW OPINIONS ON INDIAN ANCESTRY, THE AFFECTS OF BLACK FACE, AND CONVOLUTED SENTENCES THAT SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN WRITTEN IN THE FIRST PLACE.

A LOT LIKE THIS POST, WOT?.

MY APOLOGIES. IT IS TOO LATE FOR ME TO GET A LIFE. THIS IS ALL I'VE GOT.

Post subject: Re: RIDICULOUS?
PostPosted: 02/07/19 6:16 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Bravo, JD! :tup

PostPosted: 02/07/19 6:40 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Well, I agree with you to a certain extent. This stuff is fairly trivial. I'd agree that the Va. Governor shouldn't have to resign over something that happened 35 years ago, when there was nor suggestion of any kind of malicious intent.

But lets falsify history to suit our beliefs.

Blackface may have started in the slavery era, but it persisted for well over a hundred years, and most of that time it was post-slavery. And it was NOT any "advancement of black culture" at all. The great majority of it was demeaning, and purposefully so. In the largely "comedic" sketches black people were very often portrayed as mere caricatures of human beings; as ignorant and stupid; as childlike imitators of white "adults"; as not fully human.

Not always for sure, but that was the underlying theme.

Post subject: Re: RIDICULOUi S?
PostPosted: 02/07/19 7:55 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

I AM OLD ENOUGH TO HAVE SKIPPED ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (WITH MY OLDER SISTER LEADING THE WAY) TO ATTEND A THEATER IN DOWNTOWN NEW ORLEANS, WHEN THERE WAS STILL VAUDEVILLE BEING PERFORMED. WE SAW SOME (NOT MANY) "BLACK FACE" ACTS (MUSICIANS AND DANCERS) AND I ALWAYS FELT BETTER ABOUT HAVING SO MANY BLACK PEOPLE IN MY CITY. ADMITTEDLY, I WAS A CHILD, BUT MY IMPRESSION WAS THAT BLACK FACE WAS INTENDED AS A SHOWCASE IN SUPPORT OF BLACK ABILITIES. YOU HAVE ENLIGHTENED ME. THANK YOU. (AT THAT TIME, YOU UNDERSTAND, BLACK PEOPLE COULD NOT SIT DOWNSTAIRS WITH US WHITE FOLKS, BUT I HEARD APPLAUSE FROM THE BALCONY. I NEVER HEARD A BLACK PERSON COMMENT.) I DO FEEL BAD ABOUT EDDIE CANTOR AND AL JOLSON, THOUGH. DISILLUSIONED. OH, WELL....

PostPosted: 02/07/19 10:33 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

If it was intended as a showcase in support of black abilities then shouldn't BLACK people have been displaying their abilities, not white people pretending to be black people?

And as I said, I don't think every person in blackface or every blackface performer was being malicious or racist, but they were participating, probably inadvertently, in a racist event.

PostPosted: 02/08/19 8:51 am • # 6 
Editorialist

Cattleman wrote:
If it was intended as a showcase in support of black abilities then shouldn't BLACK people have been displaying their abilities, not white people pretending to be black people?

And as I said, I don't think every person in blackface or every blackface performer was being malicious or racist, but they were participating, probably inadvertently, in a racist event.

I agree. Just as someone waving a Confederate flag is not necessarily racist, they are at least ignorant about the racist history of that flag.

But as the saying goes, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

PostPosted: 02/08/19 10:15 am • # 7 
Editorialist

Rather than debating whether or not blackface is bad, we could just accept that it is at this point in time. The real question is whether something you did in college, young and stupid, 35 years ago, disqualifies you from your present career. I would posit that what you did in the last 35 years should count for more than one foolish act that you may not have fully understood at the time. If we continue with this kind of a standard that the Virginians are being held to, we will have no one qualified to hold office when the selfie generation comes of age.

PostPosted: 02/08/19 10:29 am • # 8 
Administrator

Another well-reasoned and well-written rant, JD ~ and I agree it's easy to get pulled down into the muck with minutiae ~ but I'm a believer that it's especially important to know what our elected officials believe and how those beliefs might affect us all ~ having said that, I also believe that most people change, hopefully for the better, over time as we mature [or not!] ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/08/19 12:46 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

queenoftheuniverse wrote:
Rather than debating whether or not blackface is bad, we could just accept that it is at this point in time. The real question is whether something you did in college, young and stupid, 35 years ago, disqualifies you from your present career. I would posit that what you did in the last 35 years should count for more than one foolish act that you may not have fully understood at the time. If we continue with this kind of a standard that the Virginians are being held to, we will have no one qualified to hold office when the selfie generation comes of age.

....especially since we don't know now what will be politically incorrect 35 years from now. Who knows, by that time accusing someone of racism may be considered racist. There's a real likelihood America and Canada will be dominated by non white races and today's white supremacists will be considered the original freedom riders. Remember, the suffragettes of the nineteenth century weren't considered much better than todays white supremacists and abolitionists were despised a hundred years before that. We have to learn to take things in context. After all nobody is trying to erase George Washington or Thomas Jefferson from the pages of history for owning slaves nor are they demonizing the rest of the Founding Fathers for treating blacks as 3/5 of a human being or completely negating the existence of women.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply