It is currently 03/28/24 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]
PostPosted: 02/16/19 4:27 pm • # 1 
Administrator

A former Roman Catholic cardinal has been defrocked after historical sexual abuse allegations.

Theodore McCarrick is the most senior Catholic figure to be dismissed from the priesthood in modern times.

US Church officials said allegations he had sexually assaulted a teenager five decades ago were credible.

Mr McCarrick, 88, had previously resigned but said he had "no recollection" of the alleged abuse.

"No bishop, no matter how influential, is above the law of the Church," Cardinal Daniel DiNardo, president of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops said in a statement. (That's obviously a joke or something)

"For all those McCarrick abused, I pray this judgment will be one small step, among many, toward healing."

The alleged abuses may have taken place too long ago for criminal charges to be filed because of the statute of limitations.

Mr McCarrick was the archbishop of Washington DC from 2001 to 2006. Since his resignation last year from the College of Cardinals, he has been living in seclusion in a monastery in Kansas.

He was the first person to resign as a cardinal since 1927.

He is among hundreds of members of the clergy accused of sexually abusing children over several decades and his dismissal comes days before the Vatican hosts a summit on preventing child abuse.

More-> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47264130

PostPosted: 02/16/19 7:46 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

Too little too late. Can't see how anyone can have any faith left in the catholic church. I know I would not want my children anywhere near the church and its activities for children. I also think anything they have to say about oppression, political matters and moral matters in our society will be seen as hypocritical and empty, and rightfully so imo..

PostPosted: 02/16/19 8:34 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Karolinablue wrote:
Too little too late. Can't see how anyone can have any faith left in the catholic church. I know I would not want my children anywhere near the church and its activities for children. I also think anything they have to say about oppression, political matters and moral matters in our society will be seen as hypocritical and empty, and rightfully so imo..

Very well said, KB! ~ :st

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/16/19 9:03 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

When the Pope was in Argentina he was actively involved in moving priests who were guilty of assaulting children around the country to keep them ahead of the police. But I'm sure he's above church law.

PostPosted: 02/16/19 9:04 pm • # 5 
Administrator

shiftless2 wrote:
When the Pope was in Argentina he was actively involved in moving priests who were guilty of assaulting children around the country to keep them ahead of the police. But I'm sure he's above church law.

He IS church law.
Amazing how Trump's Murrica resembles the Vatican with the corruption, perversion, etc.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 9:02 am • # 6 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
shiftless2 wrote:

He IS church law.
Amazing how Trump's Murrica resembles the Vatican with the corruption, perversion, etc.

Many years ago (in my more idealistic days) when I saw the Godfather (forget which one) there were implications of the corruption within the catholic church - I was shocked, and wondered where that came from. I realized later it is just another corrupt body politic hiding underneath religious frocks, and most likely has been for centuries.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 9:15 am • # 7 
Administrator

simony

NOUN

historical

the buying or selling of ecclesiastical privileges, for example pardons or benefices.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 11:38 am • # 8 
Editorialist

Karolinablue wrote:

The Catholic Church has been picked on because it's got money. To keep things in perspective, about 4% of priests have been accused of sexual misconduct. That's a slightly lower percentage than in the general population.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 12:23 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Quote:
The Catholic Church has been picked on because it's got money. To keep things in perspective, about 4% of priests have been accused of sexual misconduct. That's a slightly lower percentage than in the general population.

You mean those are the ones the church could no longer hide/cover up whereas in general society that is rarely the case.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 3:56 pm • # 10 
Administrator

jimwilliam wrote:
Karolinablue wrote:

Yes, the church has money ~ but I'm thinking you're ignoring an exceptionally important issue, jim ~ to keep things "real", you need to factor in the reality of people rejecting those who preach "morality" but then clearly violate that "morality" ... INcluding violating children ~ :drfl

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/17/19 5:18 pm • # 11 
Administrator

I believe we're supposed to expect better from the clergy than from the general population, Jim.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 6:34 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

Jim wrote: "The Catholic Church has been picked on because it's got money. To keep things in perspective, about 4% of priests have been accused of sexual misconduct. That's a slightly lower percentage than in the general population."

Jim - Not sure 'picked on is the right term' in this instance. Also, sexual misconduct can also mean homosexual behavior according to church doctrine - that differs greatly from pedophilia and then covering it up. One most likely is consensual between the parties if not the church, the other, taking advantage of a child and is a crime. As for money - not sure what that has to do with lewd and illegal activities with children, and the church covering it up for their own agenda. Picked on - I think not - finally exposed is more like it. It makes no difference imo if it is 1% or 10% wrong is wrong especially for a supposed religious community and their hierarchy to hide and rubber stamp the deceit by paying some victims off.

PostPosted: 02/18/19 6:10 am • # 13 
Editorialist

On the topic of "money", anyone remember "God's Banker"? The Catholic Church has connections that would make Tony Soprano jealous.

And it's not just child abuse where the church is guilty of ignoring it's own teachings and covering things up. Seems that abortion is a sin unless the father is a Father (pun intended)

https://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/20 ... girls.html

PostPosted: 02/18/19 8:12 am • # 14 
Administrator

It gets worse...

Mass Grave For Babies Discovered Under Catholic Nunnery

https://www.africanglobe.net/headlines/ ... c-nunnery/

PostPosted: 02/18/19 8:34 am • # 15 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
It gets worse...

Mass Grave For Babies Discovered Under Catholic Nunnery

https://www.africanglobe.net/headlines/ ... c-nunnery/

Oddly, while both are abhorrent - this does not surprise me as much as the pedophilia.

PostPosted: 02/19/19 1:07 pm • # 16 
Editorialist

Church guidelines for priests who father children

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/catholic-c ... -confirms/

PostPosted: 02/24/19 2:53 pm • # 17 
Administrator

Another cover-up?

Pope admits clerical abuse of nuns including sexual slavery

Pope Francis has admitted that clerics have sexually abused nuns, and in one case they were kept as sex slaves.

More-> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47134033

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply