It is currently 04/19/24 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
PostPosted: 02/21/19 4:17 pm • # 1 
Administrator

New poster boy for the word idiot?

US actor Jussie Smollett staged a fake attack on himself because he was "dissatisfied with his salary", Chicago police say.

Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said in a news conference that he "took advantage of the pain and anger of racism to promote his career".

Mr Smollett, 36, is charged with filing a false police report after he said he was the victim of a homophobic attack.

Police say he also had sent a racist letter to himself at a Fox studio.

On Thursday, Mr Smollett appeared in court and was ordered to submit a bond of $10,000 and surrender his passport.

Judge John Fitzgerald Lyke called the charges "utterly outrageous" and "despicable" if true.

The star of the TV series Empire is suspected of paying two brothers to stage the attack. They are both co-operating with the investigation, police say.

On Wednesday his lawyers said they would "mount an aggressive defence".

More-> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47311145

PostPosted: 02/21/19 4:48 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

I saw someone describe this as "the media has been dry humping this story" and I think that's about right.

It's as if NOTHING ELSE HAPPENED IN THE ENTIRE WORLD THIS WEEK.

PostPosted: 02/22/19 10:53 am • # 3 
Administrator

Not surprisingly, this has been a big story here ~ I believed Smollett at first, knowing there are a lot of assaults on the near west side, an area being redeveloped ~ but then he just kept talking and that put me on alert ~ so I wasn't all that surprised when his story tanked ~ but he's STILL saying he's "innocent" ~ he's been indicted, so that virtually ensures a trial ~ in the meantime, he's been cut from the Empire episodes remaining this season ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/22/19 10:57 am • # 4 
Administrator

sooz06 wrote:
Not surprisingly, this has been a big story here ~ I believed Smollett at first, knowing there are a lot of assaults on the near west side, an area being redeveloped ~ but then he just kept talking and that put me on alert ~ so I wasn't all that surprised when his story tanked ~ but he's STILL saying he's "innocent" ~ he's been indicted, so that virtually ensures a trial ~ in the meantime, he's been cut from the Empire episodes remaining this season ~

Sooz

That should get him a huge pay rise.

PostPosted: 02/22/19 11:08 am • # 5 
Administrator

The unfolding story gets increasingly "squirrel-ier" ~ :ey

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/26/19 12:59 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

I am always suspicious because everyone lies in my (criminal justice) world. I didn't think his story added up but I was wondering if there was a mental health thing going on moreso than a made up for profit scheme. I still think we are going to find an underlying mental health component.

PostPosted: 02/26/19 2:41 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

queenoftheuniverse wrote:
I am always suspicious because everyone lies in my (criminal justice) world. I didn't think his story added up but I was wondering if there was a mental health thing going on moreso than a made up for profit scheme. I still think we are going to find an underlying mental health component.

In our world today there are no lies, only alternative truths.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply