It is currently 03/29/24 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ]
PostPosted: 02/27/19 4:49 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Need just 1 more Senate R to get this passed ~ will it happen? ~ :ey ~ "live links" in original ~ Sooz

House rejects Trump’s ‘emergency’ gambit, as GOP flunks test
02/27/19 08:40 AM—Updated 02/27/19 09:16 AM
By Steve Benen

At a White House event last week, Donald Trump was asked about upcoming congressional votes on his emergency declaration about the border. Would Republican lawmakers stick with him and oppose the Democratic resolution that would block his policy?

“Oh, I think they’ll stick,” the president replied. “Yeah.”

The prediction was largely right, though not entirely.

Quote:
The House passed a resolution Tuesday evening that would terminate President Donald Trump’s declaration of a national emergency, voting 245-182.

Thirteen House Republicans joined Democrats to vote in favor of the resolution.

The measure, sponsored by Rep. Joaquín Castro, D-Texas, is intended to stop the president’s use of billions of dollars in existing federal funds to build a wall on the southern border without congressional approval. The Senate, where the vote is likely to be close, is required to hold a vote within 18 days on the resolution, which Trump can veto if it passes Congress.

The full roll call from the House vote is online here. While 13 Republicans voted with the Democratic majority in support of the resolution, no Democrats opposed it.

A friend asked me last night whether 13 GOP votes, in this context, should be seen as a lot or a little, and that was a surprisingly challenging question. On the one hand, given the degree to which House Republicans have been radicalized, and many of their more moderate members were defeated in the 2018 midterms, the fact that 13 of them defied the White House’s wishes seems like a rather robust number.

On the other hand, faced with a simple test of their own principles – at issue was a commitment to congressional authority, the rule of law, and separation of powers – 94% of House Republicans put Trump’s demands above all other considerations. The GOP conference was challenged to defend its convictions, and in an embarrassing display, the party fell far short.

Rep. Mike Simpson (R-Idaho) said yesterday, “If Obama had done this, Republicans would be going nuts.” Hours later, Simpson voted against the resolution anyway.

So, what happens now?

The measure heads to the Senate, where Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) will have to schedule a vote, whether he likes it or not, and where the bill cannot be filibustered.

As things stand, every member of the Senate Democratic conference supports the resolution, and three Senate Republicans – Thom Tillis (N.C.), Susan Collins (Maine), and Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) – have said they’re prepared to vote for it, too.

That means just one additional GOP senator is needed to pass the bill. Many have said they need to spend time reading the text of the measure – that shouldn’t take long; it’s very short – though at last count, at least 20 Senate Republicans are on record criticizing the president’s gambit.

As the debate in the upper chamber unfolds over the next two weeks, I’d recommend keeping an eye on Sens. Roger Wicker (Miss.), Mitt Romney (Utah), and Marco Rubio (Fla.), each of whom has suggested they might – might – support the resolution. By some accounts, a handful of other conservatives, including Sens. Ron Johnson (Wis.) and Mike Lee (Utah), may also be in the mix.

Finally, there are members like Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), who recently described Trump’s emergency declaration as “unnecessary, unwise and inconsistent with the Constitution.” If he ends up toeing the party line anyway, the Tennessean is going to look pretty foolish, though it might very well happen anyway.

Postscript: At a Capitol Hill press conference yesterday, a reporter asked House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) why Republicans didn’t think there was a national emergency at the border when the GOP controlled all of the levers of federal power in 2017 and 2018.

Relying on Trump-like grammar, the House Republican leader responded, “Well, times change as it moves forward.”

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/house-rejects-trumps-emergency-gambit-gop-flunks-test

PostPosted: 02/27/19 8:49 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

We haven't got a f-ing prayer. Not even a wisp of a fragment of a hope.

Listen to Cohen, the convict. "Trump entered the election for name recognition (consistent with his entire life). He did NOT expect to win the primaries, much less the presidency. See Stanley Gardner in the film, "Being There."
One of Peter Sellers' best roles. Meaningful to today's situation.

Trump does not know he does not know. He is a puppet. Look to Mitch McConnell, and the "religious right" who understand power, as Hitler understood "Power," as a tool, and Trump is the screw under the control of the Black and Decker electric screw driver.

IMO, it is not Trump. He hasn't got a f-ing clue. He only knows his "name" is preeminent. He hasn't any idea of what his duties are. He's making buddies with other out-of-control, power-hungry, foreign controlling entities. See Putin, Kim Jug Un, Netanyahu, and the self appointed savior of Venezuela (debatable.)

We should be devoting our investigation into the Electoral College as it exists and the process by which they are appointed. If it is because of the predominance of registered voters, exclusive of independents, then those electors NOT designated as Republicans will always outnumber those who represent the Democrats and the non affiliated. If the State are Republican majority, then the Electoral College will always fall on the Republican side.

This is the map of the State controlled Legislatures on Election Day in 2016. (my sober son, has added the image. I am incapable)

With the current obedience to the Electoral College, if it is reflective of the State Legislature. E PLURIBUS UNUM, NOT "IN OUR GOD WE TRUST." WE did not exclude any religion in our Constitution. We included ALL.

I am old. I am no longer even of matter, much less of power. I have been aware for decades of the rise of religion being mixed with politics. Read.
With God As Their Co-Pilot, Joe Conason, Playbody magazine, 1999. I have never figured out how to combat those who claim to speak for God. Bit I am (even as I approach death) no longer a believer. I wish I was, but I am not.

I believe Trunp to be an opportunistic, self -seeking, money grubbing, criminal who happened to fall into the controlling hands of religious crazies who think they are Christ driven to prepare for the End Times. (See: Jerry Jenkins/Tim LaHaye) and also Bill Moyers on the subject of "end timers" lack of interest in Global Warming.

I know this is long, somewhat incoherent, and possibly insane, but I have been reading the nutboards for a long, long time. I know what the crazies are saying. I know the evidences of their influence. To the thinkers, please, sort it out. This is my last visit, becuse I really have nothing left to offer. My children have been told to look here for my last message. Be ye disgusted, or honored, this is my last scream.

You have been good and thoughtful fellows. I hope I have not disgraced you too much. I am finished. Look to the Electoral College for the electoral misdeeds. Trump did not do this without help.
I BELIEVE Cohen. Trump never expected to be POTUS. Mitch McConnell made, and makes, the rules for the legal branch. The Supreme court appointees was held hostage until Trump was President. Look to Mitch McConnell.

Enjoy. I love you all. Be well. Goodbye. Trust me on this post: I truly expect all of you to forgive me. Thank you.

PostPosted: 02/27/19 9:42 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

I hoped that the EC would elect Clinton.

this man is a disgrace to the office.

it didn't happen.

the Republic has fallen.

whether it can right itself remains to be seen.

PostPosted: 02/28/19 10:46 am • # 4 
Editorialist

Thank you for everything Jeanneduerk1. I truly don't know what else to say. I always appreciate your posts.

PostPosted: 02/28/19 11:01 am • # 5 
Editorialist

queenoftheuniverse wrote:
Thank you for everything Jeanneduerk1. I truly don't know what else to say. I always appreciate your posts.

I second that opinion and truly hope you reconsider as your posts are always well thought out, and I look forward to reading them.

PostPosted: 02/28/19 12:01 pm • # 6 
Administrator

And I "third" queenie's and KB's sentiments ~ I/we always learn something from your posting ... and you have a wicked sense of humor [so do I!] ~ you will ALWAYS be welcome here in VoC ~ :hrt

Sooz

PostPosted: 03/03/19 12:02 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Here's something I didn't expect to ever say: Rand Paul is today's hero ~ :ey ~ and IF the DiC follows thru and vetoes the vote, I predict multiple lawsuits will be filed 10 minutes later ~ Sooz

Khorri Atkinson 26 mins ago
Rand Paul to vote to block emergency declaration, forcing Trump veto

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) disclosed on Saturday that he will vote in support of a resolution this month to block President Trump's emergency declaration, reports the Bowling Green Daily News.

Quote:
"I can’t vote to give the president the power to spend money that hasn’t been appropriated by Congress. We may want more money for border security, but Congress didn’t authorize it. If we take away those checks and balances, it’s a dangerous thing."

Why it matters: Paul's vote, along with the votes of Republican Sens. Susan Collins (Maine), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Thom Tillis (N.C.), gives the Senate the majority necessary to block Trump's national emergency. Trump has already vowed to veto the resolution if it passes, which will be the first veto of his presidency.

https://www.axios.com/rand-paul-supports-resolution-block-trumps-emergency-declaration-3ddfdfbf-e11c-4362-b897-3191c8d3e148.html

PostPosted: 03/03/19 2:48 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Reckon the Great Pumpkin shouldn't have teed off at Ryan, eh?

Now even McConnell can't protect Trump against himself.

Oops. I meant Rand Paul. I frequently get the 2 mixed up. Sorry.

PostPosted: 03/03/19 8:53 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

I suspected that it would go this way.

the veto will cause Democrats to double down on the court cases already pending.
and will increase the likelihood that they will win, since the matter can be shown
to have no proper congressional resolution.

PostPosted: 03/05/19 8:55 am • # 10 
Administrator

The more/the stronger the message ~ we'll know soon how many/which Rs have the cojones to vote against the DiC ~ :ey ~ Sooz

Rand Paul thinks at least 10 Republicans will vote against Trump’s ‘national emergency’
Sarah K. Burris / 04 Mar 2019 at 17:28 ET

In a press conference Monday, Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) reiterated his opposition for President Donald Trump’s national emergency declaration saying that there is a crisis on the border.

More, however, Paul said that he knows of at least 10 fellow Republicans who are unwilling to support the president’s efforts. Thus far, four Republican Senators have said that they will not support Trump’s efforts, but it was previously unknown that there were as many as ten.

Democrats have already passed the bill in the House, and it is slated to be voted on in the Senate this week. Trump will likely veto the bill and it’s unclear if the Senate would be willing to hold a vote to override the veto.

Quote:
Rand Paul at presser says he thinks at least 10 GOP senators will vote for disapproval resolution on emergency declaration. pic.twitter.com/wQQ08USGGp

— Alex Bolton (@alexanderbolton) March 4, 2019

Quote:
Rand Paul tells reporters he thinks there are 10 Republican senators who will vote against the emergency declaration. pic.twitter.com/jjunBtM6YE

— Emily Cochrane (@ESCochrane) March 4, 2019

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/03/rand-paul-thinks-least-10-republicans-will-vote-trumps-national-emergency/

PostPosted: 03/05/19 9:11 am • # 11 
Administrator

If this vote goes as predicted, it's a double whammy ... burning BOTH the DiC and McConnell ~ fingers crossed ~ emphasis/bolding below is mine ~ Sooz

Trump tries, fails to persuade senators on emergency declaration gambit
03/05/19 08:41 AM
By Steve Benen

When Donald Trump signed an emergency declaration last month, giving himself the authority to redirect funds to border barriers in defiance of Congress’ wishes, he knew lawmakers would take up a resolution to block his plan. The president assumed, however, that his fellow Republicans would stick with him.

He assumed wrong. Thirteen House Republicans sided with Democrats last week to pass a measure rejecting the White House’s policy, and as a percentage matter, GOP opposition in the Senate is likely to be even greater.

Quote:
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., conceded Monday that he believes the upper chamber will vote this month to terminate the national emergency President Donald Trump declared at the U.S.-Mexico border.

“I think what is clear in the Senate is there will be enough votes to pass the resolution of disapproval which will then be vetoed by the president and then all likelihood the veto will be upheld in the House,” he said at a press conference in the Capitol.

As of last week, three Senate Republicans – Thom Tillis (N.C.), Susan Collins (Maine, and Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) – signaled their support for the Democratic bill. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) strongly hinted he’s prepared to do the same. Over the weekend, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) announced his intentions to vote for the resolution, too, making clear that the votes are in place to pass the measure – whether Trump likes it or not.

We probably won’t see a vote on the Senate floor until next week, but McConnell’s rhetoric yesterday brought the political conditions into sharp focus. The Senate leader could’ve told reporters yesterday, “Well, there’s still a fair amount of time, and we’ll see how the debate plays out in the coming days,” but he didn’t bother.

McConnell took his caucus’ temperature, he gauged the level of opposition, and he dropped any pretense about the outcome.

The result will be the first veto of Trump’s presidency – though that’s not the only reason these developments matter.

The fact that the president tried and failed to persuade his own Republican allies is a rather brutal embarrassment. For all of Trump’s bluster about being strong and commanding, he urged GOP senators to follow his lead, and several of them quickly replied, “No.”

In fact, Rand Paul told reporters yesterday that he believes there are “at least 10” Republican senators who are prepared to reject the White House’s scheme. (If this vote were held on a secret ballot, I suspect the final tally would be double that.)

This doesn’t do McConnell any favors, either. He told Trump not to pursue an emergency declaration, and the president ignored him. McConnell then told his members to stick together, and some of them ignored him, too.

The Senate majority leader looks for fights that unite Republicans and divides Democrats, but this one obviously does the opposite.

There are also legal considerations to consider. Trump will veto the resolution, and it’s unlikely opponents of the gambit will have the votes needed to override that veto, but as legal challenges to the policy move forward, courts will take note of the fact that bipartisan majorities in the Democratic-led House and Republican-led Senate both approved a resolution rejecting the president’s scheme.

Finally, Aaron Blake raised a related point yesterday that’s worth keeping in mind as the fight continues. We’ve occasionally seen Republicans, including former Sens. Jeff Flake and Bob Corker, rebuke Trump and let the public know they think he’s gone too far, but this upcoming vote is qualitatively different. This isn’t a symbolic resolution intended to signal dissatisfaction; it’s a substantive resolution intended to block a presidential policy.

And it’s going to pass.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trump-tries-fails-persuade-senators-emergency-declaration-gambit

PostPosted: 03/05/19 2:35 pm • # 12 
Administrator

More PRIMO Jennifer Rubin ~ :st ~ Sooz

‘Spineless’ GOP senators who ‘regurgitate Trump’s garbage’ get burned to the ground by conservative commentator
Tom Boggioni / 05 Mar 2019 at 14:18 ET

With only four Republican senators expected to support a resolution condemning Donald Trump’s emergency declaration to fund his border wall, a conservative critic of the president lambasted the 49 other GOP senators who are falling in line with the president despite many expressing reservations.

Writing at the Washington Post, columnist Jennifer Rubin said none of those other senators will be remembered for being courageous, saying, “These are not political giants.”

“The Republicans who populate the Senate cannot imagine losing their perch; they live in fear of becoming politically irrelevant,” she wrote. “They fear the wrath of the entire right-wing machine, which includes Trump, Fox News, radio talk show hosts, right-wing billionaire donors, utterly corrupt evangelical conservative leaders and intellectually hypocritical think tankers.”

According to the conservative pundit, “Such lawmakers will do just about anything to stay in the right wing’s good graces, which they perceive as essential to their retention of power. Some like [GOP Sen. Ted] Rubio had brushes with heresy (e.g., on immigration) but now have returned to servility.”

Highlighting a New York Times report that stated, “Senators Marco Rubio of Florida, Ted Cruz of Texas, and Mike Lee of Utah have all voiced concern on the constitutional question, though none of them has explicitly promised to overturn the emergency declaration,” Rubin unloaded on them.

“The overwhelming number of Republicans do not believe they can defend themselves if they were to act independently — or fear even risking it,” Rubin accused. “They generally know what Trump is saying is bunk (whether it is Trump’s latest conspiracy theory about the FBI or some uber-theory of executive power or his fear-mongering about immigrants), but they understand Trump’s grip on the base and figure it’s easier to echo Trump, snow voters whom they consider incapable of independent thought and just regurgitate the same garbage Trump spews.”

She then wrote, “If they are remembered at all, it will be for their docility in the face of an authoritarian president and for their willingness to disregard their oaths for the security of another term or a gig on Fox News after retirement or a cheesy award from some right-wing group,” before summing the cowardly Republicans up.

“These are cheap dates and small men” she concluded.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/03/spineless-gop-senators-regurgitate-trumps-garbage-get-burned-ground-conservative-commentator/

PostPosted: 03/14/19 1:14 pm • # 13 
Administrator

A much welcome if only temporary reprieve ~ the DiC will very likely veto this vote [unless he sees another new shiny object] ~ :ey ~ Sooz

DENIED
Senate to Trump: Your Border Wall Declaration is Bunk
Most Republicans who voted against the president cited constitutional concerns with the emergency declaration.
Sam Brodey / 03.14.19, 2:53 PM ET

In a remarkable rebuke to President Donald Trump on his signature issue, 12 Republican senators joined Democrats on Thursday in voting to block the president from declaring a national emergency to build his wall on the southern border.

The final tally was 59-41 in favor of stopping the president's emergency declaration.

Heading into the vote, it was clear that enough Republicans would approve the resolution of disapproval to give it the 50 votes needed to advance it out of the GOP-controlled Senate, forcing the president to veto it. The real question was how many Republican senators would defy a president who many of them have been fearful to cross.

The answer was quite a few.

Senate Republicans felt emboldened to push back against Trump’s effort to build the wall by using the emergency maneuver, in part because the declaration was seen as a brazen attempt to undermine their constitutional powers.

Others worried about its potential effects on military construction and disaster relief funds, which the emergency declaration would permit Trump to raid. Others felt it would set a precedent that future Democratic presidents would use to push their own domestic priorities.

After weeks of senators hemming and hawing, a GOP jailbreak unfolded, with several senators declaring their support for the resolution on the day of the vote.

The list of defectors included long-serving Senators like Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, regular Trump critics like Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, and even Trump allies like Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky. Sen. Roger Wicker of Mississippi, one of the most reliable votes for GOP leadership, voted for the disapproval resolution.

The dam seemed to break mid-morning when Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT), declared he would vote for the resolution of disapproval on grounds that it broke with the spirit of the Constitution and the balance of powers.

In a floor speech, Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH) cited the alarming precedent Trump’s move would set when explaining his decision to buck the president. While securing the border was important, Portman said, it should be done in a way that doesn’t violate constitutional norms.

"It doesn't mean the president can ignore Congress and substitute his will for the will of the people," he said.

The White House seemed to know early on that they would have trouble holding Republicans together, with the president taking to Twitter to press for loyalty and warn about the prospects of not getting a border wall built.

“A vote for today’s resolution by Republican Senators is a vote for Nancy Pelosi, Crime, and the Open Border Democrats!” he tweeted on Thursday morning.

Hoping to find a middle ground, some GOP senators attempted to push a bill to automatically end national emergencies after 30 days – seen as an off-ramp for those concerned about precedent and constitutionality but eager to pacify Trump. But both Trump and Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) rejected the idea.

The vote signifies one of the most significant rebukes of this president that Senate Republicans have issued to date. But its impact will likely be short-lived. Trump will veto the resolution. At that point two-thirds of the members of both houses of Congress will be required to override a veto. And there is no indication that the numbers are there to defy the president by those margins.

From there, the most viable challenge to the emergency declaration is through federal court.

While the Republican Senate’s vote on Thursday weakens Trump’s hand politically and exposes cracks in his iron grip on the party, there were still indications that his power within the party is strong. Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC), who wrote an op-ed in support of the resolution of disapproval less than three weeks ago, said in a floor speech that after intensive meetings at the White House and with other Senators he decided to vote against the resolution.

"I've received a lot of feedback over the last few weeks," he said.

Tillis is considered one of the more vulnerable Republicans up for re-election in 2020.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/senate-to-trump-your-border-wall-declaration-is-bunk?ref=home

PostPosted: 03/14/19 2:30 pm • # 14 
Administrator

Remember my comment that it would be just short of veto-proof?
The Repugnants save face while giving in to Trump.

IMO, it's all very nicely staged.

Last edited by oskar576 on 03/14/19 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03/14/19 4:25 pm • # 15 
Editorialist

They only need one more to overturn the veto.

And if there are few wavering then this result might push them over the edge.

PostPosted: 03/14/19 4:40 pm • # 16 
Administrator

Cattleman wrote:
They only need one more to overturn the veto.

And if there are few wavering then this result might push them over the edge.

Your count is a bit off, CM ~ it takes a 2/3s vote in both houses to overturn a presidential veto ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 03/14/19 6:02 pm • # 17 
Editorialist

Ok. For some reason I thought it was 60.

Is that a filibuster thing?

PostPosted: 03/14/19 7:10 pm • # 18 
Administrator

Cattleman wrote:
Ok. For some reason I thought it was 60.

Is that a filibuster thing?

Either that or it's a fill-your-boots thing.

PostPosted: 03/15/19 9:04 am • # 19 
Administrator

I was under the impression that 60 votes would produce a veto proof result.
Now it takes 2/3 to override the orange one's veto.
I could be wrong.

PostPosted: 03/15/19 11:30 am • # 20 
Editorialist

it's 2/3 to override veto, 60 to break filibuster.

PostPosted: 03/15/19 4:06 pm • # 21 
Administrator

Game on!
Trump vetoed.

Let's see if Repugnant Congress critters have any cojones. My bet is that they don't.

PostPosted: 03/16/19 1:23 pm • # 22 
Editorialist

I don't think even the HOUSE is going to cue it up, let alone the Senate.

Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply