It is currently 03/28/24 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Bye Bye, Bolton!
PostPosted: 09/10/19 10:10 am • # 1 
Editorialist

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/10/us/p ... trump.html

WASHINGTON — President Trump fired John R. Bolton, his third national security adviser, on Tuesday amid fundamental disagreements over how to handle major foreign policy challenges like Iran, North Korea and Afghanistan.

Mr. Trump announced the decision on Twitter. “I informed John Bolton last night that his services are no longer needed at the White House. I disagreed strongly with many of his suggestions, as did others in the Administration, and therefore I asked John for his resignation, which was given to me this morning. I thank John very much for his service. I will be naming a new National Security Advisor next week.”

His departure comes as Mr. Trump is pursuing diplomatic openings with two of the United States’ most intractable enemies, efforts that have troubled hard-liners in the administration, like Mr. Bolton, who view North Korea and Iran as profoundly untrustworthy.

The president has continued to court Kim Jong-un, the repressive leader of North Korea, despite Mr. Kim’s refusal to surrender his nuclear program and despite repeated short-range missile tests by the North that have rattled its neighbors. In recent days, Mr. Trump has expressed a willingness to meet with President Hassan Rouhani of Iran under the right circumstances, and even to extend short-term financing to Tehran, although the offer has so far been rebuffed.

To his admirers, Mr. Bolton was supposed to be a check on what they feared would be naïve diplomacy, a cleareyed realist who would keep a president without prior experience in foreign affairs from giving away the store to wily adversaries. But Mr. Trump has long complained privately that Mr. Bolton was too willing to get the United States into another war.

The tension between the men was aggravated in recent months by the president’s decisions to call off a planned airstrike on Iran in retaliation for the downing of an American surveillance drone and to meet with Mr. Kim at the Demilitarized Zone and cross over into North Korea.

Mr. Bolton favored the strike on Iran and publicly criticized recent North Korean missile tests that Mr. Trump brushed off. After the president arranged the DMZ meeting with Mr. Kim via a last-minute Twitter message, Mr. Bolton opted not to accompany him and instead proceeded on a previously scheduled trip to Mongolia.

The rift between the president and his national security adviser owed as much to personality as to policy. The president never warmed to him, a dynamic that is often fatal in this White House. Mr. Bolton also clashed with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
At its core, the schism reflected a deep-seated philosophical difference that has characterized the Trump presidency. While given to bellicose language, Mr. Trump came to office deeply skeptical of overseas military adventures and promising negotiations to resolve volatile conflicts. Mr. Bolton, however, has been one of Washington’s most outspoken hawks and unapologetic advocates of American power to defend the country’s interests.

More at link....

Post subject: Re: Bye Bye, Bolton!
PostPosted: 09/10/19 10:12 am • # 2 
Editorialist

ok, I have to say THANK GOD over this one.

that man is the worst kind of warhorse.

PostPosted: 09/10/19 10:56 am • # 3 
Administrator

Pretty soon Trump will have to hire Democrats or leave posts unfilled.

PostPosted: 09/10/19 10:57 am • # 4 
Editorialist

So the cowardly war monger got kicked to the curb again. And here we all thought Grabem couldn't do anything right.

PostPosted: 09/10/19 11:01 am • # 5 
Administrator

macroscopic wrote:
ok, I have to say THANK GOD over this one.

that man is the worst kind of warhorse.

I'm not surprised ~ I've never been a fan of Bolton, but I trust the DiC will find someone who more closely reflects his own insane agenda ~ :ey

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/10/19 11:09 am • # 6 
Editorialist

yeah, but Bolton was kind of uniquely horrible.
super glad to see him gone.

PostPosted: 09/10/19 11:40 am • # 7 
Administrator

Running out of the "smartest people"?

PostPosted: 09/10/19 1:23 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

Whaddaya mean "running out"? He never had any of the smartest people. Anyone with half a brain headed in the opposite direction.

PostPosted: 09/10/19 3:42 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Oh goody, another "mine is bigger than yours" contest ~ :ey ~ Sooz

LOOK: John Bolton’s resignation letter is scathing – and just two sentences long
Published on September 10, 2019
By David Badash, The New Civil Rights Movement

John Bolton, President Donald Trump’s now former, and fourth, National Security Advisor, resigned Tuesday morning after a dust-up Monday evening with the president.

His letter of resignation is already making its way online, via reporters, including Fox News’ Chief White House Correspondent, John Roberts (below).

The letter is short – just two sentences – and scathing in what it says, and doesn’t say.

“I hereby resign, effective immediately, as Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs,” Bolton’s letter reads. “Thank you for having afforded me this opportunity to serve our country.”

That’s it.

No, “Thank you for your support.”

No, “It was an honor serving you.”

No, “I’m proud of what we accomplished.”

No rattling off a litany of achievements, how he helped make America safer, or shared Trump’s vision.”

Nothing.

That’s it.

Even the first paragraph of former Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis, whose letter of resignation detailed his frustrations with Trump, was longer.

“I have been privileged to serve as our country’s 26th Secretary of Defense which has allowed me to serve alongside our men and women of the Department in defense of our citizens and our ideals,” Mattis’ letter began. It was a page and a half long.

Bolton’s letter appears to have been printed off and folded – not into an envelope, but lengthwise, as if it were placed in a jacket breast pocket and handed directly to the recipient.

Bolton was Trump’s longest-serving National Security Advisor. He entered the position (after the usual Fox News trial) on April 9, 2018, and resigned today, September 10, 2019. By comparison, Mike Flynn, now a convicted felon, lasted just three weeks. His replacement, as Acting NSA, Keith Kellogg, just one week. H.R. McMaster lasted less than 14 months.

Here’s the letter:

Quote:
John Roberts ✔
@johnrobertsFox

.@AmbJohnBolton resignation letter (better photo)

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/09/look-john-boltons-resignation-letter-is-scathing-and-just-two-sentences-long/

PostPosted: 09/10/19 4:40 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

Just read he contradicted the President's version - Bolton said he resigned and trump never fired him or asked for the resignation. I believe him, but truthfully could care less (oops just saw this - could not care less) just glad to see him gone. Wonder who will be next up in the worst qualified.

Last edited by Karolinablue on 09/12/19 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 09/11/19 11:52 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

Karolinablue wrote:
Just read he contradicted the President's version - Bolton said he resigned and trump never fired him or asked for the resignation. I believe him, but truthfully could care less just glad to see him gone. Wonder who will be next up in the worst qualified.

We'll know just a soon as the Grabemites can get him sobered up and out of jail.

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply