It is currently 03/29/24 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: RIP Elijah Cummings
PostPosted: 10/17/19 9:43 am • # 1 
Administrator

We lost a GIANT of honesty, compassion, and decency with Rep Cummings' passing today ~ he was a "personal hero" to me and to countless others ~ rest in peace forever ~ :drfl ~ Sooz

Esteemed Longtime Baltimore Congressman Elijah Cummings Dies At 68
By Nicole Lafond | October 17, 2019 6:11 am

The prominent committee chairman from Baltimore known for his passion for democracy and civil rights Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD) died early Thursday morning at the age of 68, his congressional office first announced in a statement.

Cummings passed away at Gilchrist Hospice Care, an affiliate of John Hopkins Hospital at 2:45 a.m. ET due to “complications concerning longstanding health challenges,” his office said in a statement. He did not return to work after undergoing a undisclosed medical procedure, as the Baltimore Sun noted. The Maryland Democratic Party, which his wife Maya Rockeymoore Cummings chairs, confirmed the news in a moving statement on Thursday.

“Congressman Cummings was an honorable man who proudly served his district and the nation with dignity, integrity, compassion and humility,” Rockeymoore Cummings said. “He worked until his last breath because he believed our democracy was the highest and best expression of our collective humanity and that our nation’s diversity was our promise, not our problem. It’s been an honor to walk by his side on this incredible journey. I loved him deeply and will miss him dearly.”

Cummings was the son of a sharecropper and first joined Congress in 1996. At the time of his death he was the chairman of the House Oversight Committee, one of the House committees leading the impeachment inquiry into President Trump. Cummings began his political career in 1982 when he ran for Maryland state delegate and won. He served in the state general assembly for 14 years and was the first black person in state history to be named speaker pro tem.

Known for his impassioned speeches and celebrated record on civil rights, Cummings was beloved by lawmakers on both sides of the aisle. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) ordered the flags at the Capitol to be lowered to half staff in Cummings’ memory on Thursday. When news of his death broke early Thursday, the tributes rolled in across Twitter.

Quote:
jelani cobb ✔
@jelani9

Rest In Peace, Elijah Cummings. His passing would be a huge loss to his family, his district and his country under any circumstances. But this particular moment puts his absence into even sharper relief.

5:38 AM - Oct 17, 2019

Quote:
Oversight Committee Republicans ✔
@GOPoversight

Ranking Member @Jim_Jordan’s Statement on the Passing of Chairman Elijah Cummings.

8:03 AM - Oct 17, 2019

Quote:
Dana Bash ✔
@DanaBashCNN

GOP Rep Mark Meadows on Elijah Cummings passing: “I am heartbroken. Truly heartbroken.”
“I have no other words to express the loss.”Meadows and Cummings had a close personal relationship, despite being far apart politically.

7:00 AM - Oct 17, 2019

Quote:
Adam Schiff ✔
@RepAdamSchiff

Elijah Cummings was the heart and soul of our caucus, a dignified leader with a voice that could move mountains.

He was our moral and ethical North Star. Now we will be guided by his powerful memory and incomparable legacy.

Rest In Peace, my friend.

7:44 AM - Oct 17, 2019

Quote:
Beto O'Rourke ✔
@BetoORourke

We lost one of our best. A son of sharecroppers, who went on to represent one of our greatest cities; a fighter for justice, who always led with love—Rep. Elijah Cummings was everything right about America. He is already missed, but his legacy will be with us forever.

7:25 AM - Oct 17, 2019

Quote:
Kellyanne Conway ✔
@KellyannePolls

Sad to learn of the passing of longtime, passionate public servant Rep. Elijah Cummings. May he Rest In Peace. Lifting up his family, friends and colleagues in prayer.

7:38 AM - Oct 17, 2019

Trump tweeted out his “warmest condolences” on Thursday morning, a noticeable shift in tone from weeks back when Trump created yet another news cycle in which he incessantly attacked lawmakers of color.

Quote:
Donald J. Trump ✔
@realDonaldTrump

My warmest condolences to the family and many friends of Congressman Elijah Cummings. I got to see first hand the strength, passion and wisdom of this highly respected political leader. His work and voice on so many fronts will be very hard, if not impossible, to replace!

7:54 AM - Oct 17, 2019

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/elijah-cummings-dies

Post subject: Re: RIP Elijah Cummings
PostPosted: 10/17/19 10:03 am • # 2 
Administrator

Here's more ~ the more we learn about Rep Cummings, the deeper sense of loss we feel ~ he really was a warrior for the common good ~ :drfl ~ Sooz

Elijah Cummings, the Maryland congressman who chaired the House Oversight Committee, dies at 68
As head of the Oversight panel, Cummings was one of three congressmen leading the impeachment inquiry into Trump.
Matthew Rozsa | October 17, 2019 2:08PM (UTC)

House Oversight Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings, D-Md., died Thursday morning after longtime complications with his health. He was 68.

The longstanding Baltimore congressman passed away shortly after 2 a.m. ET, according to the Associated Press. His widow, Maya Rockeymoore Cummings, issued a statement calling her late husband “an honorable man, who proudly served his district and the nation with dignity, integrity, compassion and humility. He worked until his last breath, because he believed our democracy was the highest and best expression of our collective humanity and that our nation’s diversity was our promise — not our problem.”

In his final years Cummings, achieved national attention as the chairman of one of the three committee leading the inquiry into President Donald Trump. Cummings' oversight role incurred the wrath of Trump, who in July tweeted that his district was “a disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess” and a “very dangerous & filthy place.” Cummings did not hold back from criticizing the president either, such as by saying in the same month that Trump’s rhetoric reminded him of the discrimination he experienced during the segregation era as a child.

"My warmest condolences to the family and many friends of Congressman Elijah Cummings. I got to see first hand the strength, passion and wisdom of this highly respected political leader," the president tweeted Thursday morning. "His work and voice on so many fronts will be very hard, if not impossible, to replace!"

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fl., responded to the news of Cummings’ death by writing on Twitter, “My condolences to the family of Rep. Elijah Cummings of Maryland who went to be with the Lord early this morning at 68 years of age. May God grant his family strength & peace in these difficult moments & his soul eternal rest.”

Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J.., tweeted that “today our country lost a true leader. Congressman Elijah Cummings was a friend, a passionate fighter for justice, and a powerful voice of moral conscience in our government who served his country for decades with dignity and integrity. I’m blessed to have known him.”

After being told as a child that he spoke too slowly and struggled too much in school to become a lawyer, Cummings rose up from poverty to become the first African-American speaker pro tem in the Maryland General Assembly. Cummings was first elected to the House of Representatives in 1996. From 2003 to 2004, he chaired the Congressional Black Caucus. He was an early advocate of former President Barack Obama as he sought the nation's highest office in 2008.

In 2015, Cummings publicly pushed for justice for Freddie Gray, an African-American Baltimore resident whose death in police custody sparked protests and riots throughout the city. During Trump’s presidency, he emerged as one of the president’s most-outspoken critics in Congress, launching numerous investigations from his position as chairman of the House Oversight Committee.

https://www.salon.com/2019/10/17/elijah-cummings-the-maryland-congressman-who-chaired-the-house-oversight-committee-dies-at-68/

PostPosted: 10/17/19 10:19 am • # 3 
Editorialist

I am sorry to see him go. I will miss his outspokenness on matters of civil rights.

PostPosted: 10/25/19 3:09 pm • # 4 
Administrator

I miss the humanity and decency of Barack Obama AND Elijah Cummings more with every passing day! ~ :drfl ~ Sooz

Crowd roars as Obama appears to take a shot at Trump during Cummings eulogy: ‘There’s nothing weak about being honorable’
Published on October 25, 2019 | By Brad Reed

Former President Barack Obama on Friday drew applause at the funeral of the late Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD) when he took what many in the audience interpreted as veiled shots against President Donald Trump.

In praising Cummings for his kindness and integrity, Obama argued that those virtues should not be synonymous with “weakness,” which is a term that Trump has regularly used to disparage administration officials who do not do his bidding.

“There’s nothing weak about kindness and compassion,” Obama said. “There’s nothing weak about looking out for others. There is nothing weak about being honorable. You’re not a sucker to have integrity and to treat others with respect.”

The former president then mused about the title of “honorable” that gets bestowed onto lawmakers after they get elected to office — but he said that only some politicians deserve the title even before their election.

“You know, this is a title that we confer on all kinds of people who get elected to public office,” he said. “We’re supposed to introduce them as ‘honorable.’ But Elijah Cummings was honorable before he was elected to office — there is a difference!”

At this point, the room broke out into applause.

Watch the video below.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/10/obama-draws-applause-at-cummings-funeral-with-veiled-shots-at-trump-theres-nothing-weak-about-being-honorable/

PostPosted: 10/25/19 3:21 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

We need more people like Elijah Cummings in politics.

And good grief I miss Obama.

PostPosted: 10/26/19 7:39 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

Dr. Maya Rockeymoore Cummings SHREDDED Trump for attacking her husband during a FIERY speech at his funeral

https://www.facebook.com/OccupyDemocrat ... live_video

PostPosted: 10/26/19 8:20 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

Grabem is preparing his morning tweets as we speak. This effrontery shall not go unchallenged! Covfefe!!!

PostPosted: 10/27/19 5:51 am • # 8 
Editorialist

And I'm sure it will be his bigliest tweet ever. The bigliest tweet of all time.

PostPosted: 10/27/19 12:26 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

No doubt it will be since his new press secretary just declared him a genius. And I didn't think anybody could be as much a bootlicker as Sarah.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply