It is currently 03/29/24 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ]
 Post subject: Sooz et al
PostPosted: 10/19/19 7:42 am • # 1 
Editorialist

So, I need to finally "upgrade" to Win10 since the support for 7 ends in January. What are the worst issues you are having and have they managed to work out a lot of the bugs?

Sigh.......I'm too old for this crap, lol!

Post subject: Re: Sooz et al
PostPosted: 10/19/19 10:16 am • # 2 
Administrator

I've come to love Win10 ~ I'm trying to remember [and maybe Jabra will remember since he is whom I would've called if I had any kind of "significant" problem during the original upgrade], but I can't think of anything specific ~ I'll keep mentally reviewing my own experience ~ I do remember it being a long upgrade experience once you set it in motion ~

Once you complete the upgrade, there will be fairly regular minor updates going forward ~ if you keep up with those, you should have no problems ~

Good luck! ~ if you want/need my phone # "just in case", I'm happy to email/PM it to you ~ let me know ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 10/19/19 11:27 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Thanks sooz! I'll let ya know.

PostPosted: 10/19/19 7:25 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

I've had Windows 10 pretty much since the beginning. It took a bit of getting used to but that was more due to the format than technical problems. For the past two or three years there have been no problems at all. But then my use is pretty basic - reading news, writing e-mails and being on chat rooms.

PostPosted: 10/20/19 9:47 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Thanks jim! I am going to have to wait until after this Thursday when we get unlimited data for our internet. Since the new season began with a lot of the shows I watch online, it seems I've used up all our data, LOL! Between that and surfing since I've been off work, I'm a data hog. So, after the upgrade with data, I will first catch up on all my shows, then start the download. I'm waiting because it may take me a while to learn to navigate and I don't want to miss my faves. I watch online because if hubby is here, I "let" him watch what he wants or play xbox etc. Also, it's much easier for me to hear the dialog with my headphones. :o

PostPosted: 10/27/19 12:07 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

I will be doing this tomorrow. A couple of questions.

1. will the upgrade import all of my crap....photos, favorites, documents etc?
2. is there a way to modify Win10 so that it looks more like the other browsers? I don't have a touch screen, so I don't need that at all.

PostPosted: 10/27/19 12:25 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

I didn't even know it had touchscreen and I've been using it for years. So, to your second question - yes.

PostPosted: 10/27/19 12:45 pm • # 8 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
I will be doing this tomorrow. A couple of questions.

1. will the upgrade import all of my crap....photos, favorites, documents etc?
2. is there a way to modify Win10 so that it looks more like the other browsers? I don't have a touch screen, so I don't need that at all.

The upgrade should import "all of [your] crap" ... but it may not be in the same place it is before the upgrade ~ don't fret: it's easy to find ~

Win10 is an internal operating system, NOT a browser ~ Win10's preferred browser is Edge ~ personally, my preferred browser is Firefox ... and, if memory serves, Firefox made it thru the upgrade just fine ~ if not, any browser [iow, Edge] can be used to download other browsers ~

Best advice: allow enough time for the upgrade ~ as I said above, and again if memory serves, it's a BIG upgrade and will take time ~ there likely will be some restarts of the system ~ but it's all automatic ~ FTR, I don't have a touch screen so no worries there ~

I'll be around tomorrow, so I'm gonna email you my phone # "just in case" ~ :b

Sooz

PostPosted: 10/27/19 2:39 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

what will I "lose" when I upgrade?
will it keep my bookmarks, for example?

PostPosted: 10/27/19 2:46 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

macroscopic wrote:
what will I "lose" when I upgrade?
will it keep my bookmarks, for example?

Et tu mac? lol

As sooz said, your bookmarks are in your browser. I have been a loyal IE user, but don't think I want to go with the Edge that comes with Win10. I also use Firefox and Chrome. I tried to import my faves to Firefox, but lost my organization (i.e. folders). Today I imported to Chrome and everything was intact! Have a folder on Chrome that is marked "Imported from IE". At least I know that I am prepared that way.

PostPosted: 10/27/19 4:28 pm • # 11 
Administrator

roseanne is basically correct that you save into the browser you're using at the time you're saving whatever ~ but if you change to using a different browser, your saves into the first browser DO move with any operating system updates/upgrades ~ if you switch your preferred browser after an upgrade/update, you need to reselect your prior browser to access your saves ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 10/27/19 4:52 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

sooz06 wrote:
roseanne is basically correct that you save into the browser you're using at the time you're saving whatever ~ but if you change to using a different browser, your saves into the first browser DO move with any operating system updates/upgrades ~ if you switch your preferred browser after an upgrade/update, you need to reselect your prior browser to access your saves ~

Sooz

HUH? I use 3 browsers which all have different "faves" (for some reason, don't ask me lol) Will the d/l of Win10 move ALL of them or just my preferred browser faves and all? Will the faves from IE show up on Edge or what?
I did a bad thing. I was trying to play a game from my faves on Chrome and it wouldn't play (Adobe Flash) because they aren't going to support that in 2020. So I deleted my Chrome and did a new d/l to see if that helped. NOOOO! I had to jump through hoops to get Flash enabled on Chrome for just that game. Anywho, I also lost all of my damn faves again. Those saved on Chrome and those I imported from IE. Jesus tapdancing Christ! I have a headache and just can't wait until I tell hubby. He's at work right now. A lot of the faves were his. :\'(

PostPosted: 10/27/19 6:48 pm • # 13 
Administrator

I don't remember having to replace ANY saves on ANY browser following the upgrade, roseanne ~ the IE faves should transfer to Edge ~ nothing in your other browsers should be affected ~ and my GUESS is that Edge will be updated during the upgrade but don't worry about that now ~

If you think of it, drop me an email when you're beginning the upgrade so that I know to stick around ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 10/27/19 7:11 pm • # 14 
Editorialist

Ok. I just read that you will lose ALL of your programs when you d/l . Now, that may be for people who do not have Windows already. I'm not sure. I'm very nervous about this. Ha!

I'll send an email. Wish me luck. Hubby is NOT happy that I lost all of our faves on Chrome :o , but he'll just have to deal.

PostPosted: 10/27/19 7:36 pm • # 15 
Administrator

roseanne, I do NOT remember losing ANY programs ~ some things were moved around, but they were/are easy to find again ~

I definitely wish you luck, that all goes smoothly ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 10/27/19 8:24 pm • # 16 
Administrator

Just to be on the safe side I would backup important stuff to a USB drive. Even at Walmart you can get a large capacity one for relative cheap.
I have a free google drive where I have all my bookmarks synchronized from all browsers and Cellphone/Laptop/PC.
It wouldn't hurt to play it safe although I don't remember any complications when I upgraded.

Did you check if your computer is ready for win10?

Here's what Microsoft says you need to run Windows 10:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster.
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Free hard disk space: 16 GB.
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver.
A Microsoft account and Internet access.

Sooz has my number if you need phone support any time if you run into problems.

Good luck, Roseanne!

PostPosted: 10/28/19 11:22 am • # 17 
Editorialist

Thanks jab! :k

Not sure about the Microsoft account. I have outlook/hotmail. We'll see. All the rest is fine.

PostPosted: 10/28/19 11:43 am • # 18 
Administrator

Get a free MS account. And a free Gmail email and account.
Very helpful.

PostPosted: 10/28/19 1:58 pm • # 19 
Editorialist

Phew. It's done! It'll take a while to become accustomed to it, but thankfully all of my faves on FF and Chrome were imported. Not my EI faves, but I imported those to Chrome before I did the d/l. After sweating about all the system requirements and trying to find (and finding) the information, the program did it automatically before it started the d/l.

All in all, it wasn't too bad. I/we don't use a lot of the new-fangled do-hickeys like sync so not worried about that. lol :b I may have questions later. Right now, I'm going to run iObit to clean out all the crap. Have a feeling it might take longer than usual.

PostPosted: 10/28/19 2:25 pm • # 20 
Administrator

YAYYY on you, roseanne!!! ~ :st ~ it'll take you a while, but not long, to acclimate to the new format ~ it's MUCH slicker than prior versions of Win ~ there are regular, much shorter updates to Win 10, so be sure to keep current ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 10/28/19 3:21 pm • # 21 
Administrator

:bow :bow :bow :happydance

PostPosted: 10/28/19 6:54 pm • # 22 
Editorialist

Great news Roseanne, but you've still got those first week trust issues to get through. Everytime you throw coal into the back of the old girl and get the steam up there'll be that nagging "Will it work? Will it work?" eventually the worry will go away.

PostPosted: 10/29/19 8:49 pm • # 23 
Editorialist

LOL jim, you are so right! Today I got an update, so did the restart thing.....got a black screen with a box that said "personal settings" and (not responding). Anyway, I finally got to my desktop. I am steamed that my startup time is a lot longer, which I'm sure is due to all the clogged up crap on Win10. I'll be doing some research to figure out how to delete a lot of that eventually.

PostPosted: 10/30/19 7:53 am • # 24 
Administrator

Read through this article, Roseanne.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partiti ... ws-10.html

PostPosted: 10/30/19 8:55 am • # 25 
Editorialist

I will jab, when I am more coherent lol. Thanks. Had to hunt like crazy to find the control panel. But once I found it, I put it as a shortcut on my desktop, HA! Windows will not defeat me. :b

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ] New Topic Add Reply