It is currently 05/18/24 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next   Page 9 of 13   [ 316 posts ]
PostPosted: 07/26/21 1:19 pm • # 201 
Editorialist

More from the home of the Scopes Monkey Trial

Tennessee prosecutor: Gay people not entitled to domestic violence protections

Phil Williams

A newly discovered video shows a Middle Tennessee prosecutor boasting that, if gay people in his district end up being victims of domestic violence, they should not expect him to use the state's domestic violence laws to protect them.

That's the same DA who has suggested Muslims don't have any constitutional rights.

The prosecutor, Craig Northcott of Coffee County, has faced intense scrutiny from activists ever since he was named special prosecutor three weeks ago to review whether House Speaker Glenn Casada's office tried to set up an African-American protester.

For the past five years, Northcott has served as the district attorney general for Coffee County -- a county whose population more than doubles every summer when tens of thousands of music fans descend upon Bonnaroo.

"Y'all are obviously intelligent, discerning people. I am, in fact, an idiot," Northcott said in introducing himself in the video from a Bible conference posted by Dean Bible Ministries.

A clip from the video was first posted Monday morning by ...

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/newsc ... rotections

PostPosted: 09/04/21 3:01 pm • # 202 
Editorialist

It's Official: Religious organizations pose a real threat to children

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/thefreeth ... -children/

PostPosted: 09/14/21 9:36 am • # 203 
Editorialist

The Supreme Court's right-wing Catholics are destroying true religious freedom
Religious faith isn't the problem — but Texas ruling shows Supreme Court has been hijacked by Christian nationalism

By PHIL ZUCKERMAN - ANDREW L. SEIDEL

"The government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian Religion."

What forthright American declared such words? Bill Maher? Christopher Hitchens? Emma Goldman? No. They come from the Treaty of Tripoli, negotiated under George Washington, approved unanimously by the U.S. Senate and signed by President John Adams in 1797.

This early declaration — along with the First Amendment, which Thomas Jefferson solemnly revered "as building a wall of separation between church and state" — illustrates the unprecedented experiment our founders sought to test: a secular republic ruled by democratic laws, not sectarian faith; a nation whose government based its authority upon "we, the people" and not commandments handed down by distant gods. It is a brilliant endowment, given that ...

https://www.salon.com/2021/09/14/the-su ... s-freedom/

PostPosted: 10/11/21 1:40 pm • # 204 
Editorialist

The Bible Doesn’t Say That
10 things you think are in the Bible that are nowhere to be found

Dan Foster

Let’s start this article with a pop quiz. One of these words doesn’t belong on the list below. Can you guess which one?

- Morality
    - Quality
    - Rapture
    - Trinity
    - Fryingpan
    - Immaculate
    - Logic
    - Responsibility
    - History
    - Christianity

If you said, “Fryingpan,” then congratulations! You are right! Fryingpan is the ONLY ONE of these words that you WILL FIND in the Bible. In fact, the word fryingpan appears twice — in Leviticus 2:7 and Leviticus 7:9. As for the rest of this list: Not in the Bible — not even once.

I often chuckle at Christians who leave comments on my articles saying things like, “The Bible says this or that,” or “The Bible is clear about this or that.” That’s because many people who profess a deep love of the Bible have never actually read the book. Their knowledge of the Bible has come from ....

https://medium.com/backyard-theology/th ... bb00eb22ee

PostPosted: 10/26/21 7:27 pm • # 205 
Editorialist

Why ‘Evangelical’ Is Becoming Another Word for ‘Republican’
By Ryan Burge

The conventional wisdom about religion in the United States is that the number of people who have no religious affiliation is rising rapidly. In the 1970s, secular Americans (often called the Nones) made up just 5 percent of the population; now, that number has climbed to at least 30 percent. The data suggest that religious groups must be suffering tremendous losses as the Nones continue to increase in size and influence each year.

That’s why a recent report from the Pew Research Center came as a huge surprise. Its most shocking revelation was that, between 2016 and 2020, there was no significant decline in the share of white Americans who identify as evangelical Christians. Instead, the report found the opposite: During Donald Trump’s presidency, the number of white Americans who started identifying as evangelical actually grew.

Conservative Christians celebrated the news. For years, stories have appeared in media outlets about how many of the more theologically moderate denominations like Episcopalians and the United Church of Christ have suffered staggering losses in membership. The fact that denominations that allowed women pastors were declining while evangelical churches that took more conservative positions on views of gender and sexuality were holding their own was evidence for evangelicals that conservative religion has staying power. Because these moderate traditions were so much like the culture around them, the story went, it was easy for their members to fall away from church attendance. Evangelicals prided themselves on their distinctiveness from mainstream society, which insulated them from forces like secularization.

But they might hold off on patting themselves on the back too much. The number of self-identified evangelicals has likely not increased over the last few years because evangelicals have been effective at spreading the Gospel and bringing new converts to the church.

What is drawing more people to embrace the evangelical label on surveys is more likely that evangelicalism has been bound to the Republican Party. Instead of theological affinity for Jesus Christ, millions of Americans are being drawn to the evangelical label because of its association with the G.O.P.

This is happening in two different ways. The first is that ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/26/opin ... lican.html

PostPosted: 11/13/21 3:57 am • # 206 
Editorialist

How death metal lyrics echo some Bible passages and what it means
The Conversation

The other day I came across a Buzzfeed quiz that asked me: “Heavy metal lyric or bible verse?"

As someone who is a PhD candidate in religious studies and loves heavy metal, I was surprised to see that I hesitated on a number of my responses. Why does heavy metal use so many biblical references and symbolisms?

As I researched, I rediscovered death metal, a musical genre I used to listen to as a teen. It seems like death metal was even more fixated with religion than heavy metal. But why is this musical genre so obsessed with ...

https://www.rawstory.com/how-metal-lyri ... -it-means/

One observation - the article makes mention of the inverted cross found in Black Sabbath's debut album - fact is, the only man on the planet who is metal enough to have an inverted cross carved in the back of his throne is the Pope.

PostPosted: 11/24/21 7:05 am • # 207 
Editorialist

Quote:
Hemant Mehta @hemantmehta

End Times preacher Sharon Gilbert says that an alien imitated her husband, and then it tried to have sex with her, and then it claimed to be Xerxes, and then Jesus got involved, and then the alien turned out to be a reptile with a posse of gargoyles.

https://twitter.com/intent/like?ref_src ... 7993329670

Vid at source

And you can read about it here

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/202 ... qus_thread

PostPosted: 12/13/21 3:51 pm • # 208 
Editorialist

The strange decline of US evangelicalism
Martyn Whittock

The US has long been regarded as the home of more Christians, as a percentage of its population, than any other nation on earth. In 2014 an extensive programme of research, by the renowned polling organization, the Pew Research Center, revealed that 70.6% of adult Americans identified as Christians of some form. And of the total US population, 25.4% identified as evangelicals.

When evangelicals act as a bloc they have been hugely influential. It is now well known that 81% of white evangelicals voted for Donald Trump in 2016. A similar percentage of these believers voted for him in November 2020. The support of white evangelicals (and it is necessary to add that racial clarifier) for the Republican Party has become one of the norms of US politics.

Given the highly committed nature of these believers when it comes to voting, they often punch well above their weight when compared to similar sized groups, who don't exhibit such high turnout when it comes to activism.

This level of commitment has impacted on many areas of policy. The fact that current US abortion legislation may well be overturned this coming autumn, when the Supreme Court once more examines the issue, is a significant example of the effects of the evangelical vote; in this case allied with conservative Catholics.

"The Times They Are A-Changin"

However, demographics do not stand still and, in the words of Bob Dylan's 1964 song (and album), "The Times They Are A-Changin." Even something as apparently solid as ...

https://www.christiantoday.com/article/ ... 137169.htm

PostPosted: 12/14/21 2:37 pm • # 209 
Editorialist

Remove Christian slogan, FFRF insists to N.C. sheriff

A North Carolina sheriff’s office must take down a massive display of a devout New Testament slogan emblazoned on its wall, the Freedom From Religion Foundation is demanding.

The Columbus County Sheriff’s Office has a large bible verse with the ...

https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/ite ... -c-sheriff

PostPosted: 12/20/21 6:15 pm • # 210 
Editorialist

Tis the season ....

PostPosted: 12/20/21 7:15 pm • # 211 
Editorialist

LOL!

that is fucking amazing.

PostPosted: 12/22/21 10:03 am • # 212 
Editorialist

Conservative Christians Can't Handle the Satanic "Baby Baphomet" Display in the IL State Capitol
Look at how cute it is.

Hemant Mehta

Nobody throws religious conservatives for a loop better than members of The Satanic Temple.

For a few years now (with an obvious exception in 2020), members of the Temple’s Illinois congregation have put up a “snaketivity” display in the State Capitol building. This year, however, they went in a different direction.

This week, joining the Nativity scenes already up in the Capitol rotunda, the Satanists erected an adorable, swaddled Baby Baphomet.

Look at that thing. Just look at it.

It was even installed with this glorious “consecration ritual”:

Quote:
Today we gather to welcome Satanic enlightenment into the Illinois Statehouse and into the heartland of the United States.

Welcome, young Baphomet, symbol of our rapidly growing Temple!

Welcome, thou shaky but rising Beast!

Welcome, thou cloven-hooved Liberator!

We invite you today to bring wisdom, justice, and rationality to these chambers.

Equality.

Tolerance.

Compassion.

Empathy.

Critical thinking.

Personal liberty.

The pursuit of knowledge.

And the separation of church and state.

These are the ideals America's Founding Rebels fought for. The Satanic Temple enshrines these values in our tenets, and carries the founders’ noble fight into the future!

Chorus: Hail Satan!

Officiant: Rebel!

Officiant: Liberator!

Officiant: Cultivator of skepticism!

Officiant: Defier of unjust laws!

Officiant: Expander of minds!

Officiant: Lightbringer!

Let Satanic thought prevail now and forevermore in these hallowed halls of power!

Why put it up, you ask?

Why not.

Quote:
"The Capitol welcomes a diverse range of religions every year to display holiday statues during the holiday season, so we wanted to join in on that," Satanic Temple of Illinois Minister Adam said.

That’s the only explanation that’s needed. The consequence of Illinois allowing an open forum for holiday displays is that they have to let everyone in who fulfills the basic requirements, and the Satanists did just that.

I would also argue it’s just a good idea to offer ...

https://friendlyatheist.substack.com/p/ ... ant-handle

PostPosted: 01/08/22 2:16 pm • # 213 
Editorialist

Oklahoma Attorney General: "Godless America" Needs a God-based Justice System
John O'Connor can't be trusted to defend a secular Constitution.

Hemant Mehta

The Attorney General of Oklahoma, John O’Connor, said on Friday that a “godless” justice system was inherently a broken one and that our country needed to be run under a Christian-based value system.

He made the comments to the Rotary Club of Sand Springs as part of a list of three issues that America needs to resolve in order to “find itself” once again. After complaining about how individual rights are supposedly being overtaken by federal rights, and before he attacked the supposed scourge of ...

https://friendlyatheist.substack.com/p/ ... al-godless

PostPosted: 01/08/22 2:50 pm • # 214 
Administrator

Which god(s)?

PostPosted: 01/08/22 4:20 pm • # 215 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Which god(s)?

I'm rather fond of Baphomet

PostPosted: 01/12/22 4:51 pm • # 216 
Editorialist

A Major Evangelical Church-Planting Leader Still Doesn't Know How to Handle Abuse
Pastor Matt Chandler raised all kinds of red flags in a recent interview.

https://friendlyatheist.substack.com/p/ ... h-planting

PostPosted: 01/15/22 11:40 pm • # 217 
Editorialist

The Attorney General of Oklahoma, John O’Connor, said on Friday that a “godless” justice system was inherently a broken one and that our country needed to be run under a Christian-based value system.

Everytime I see some call like this I'm reminded of some wag's answer to Dr. Laura about the same subject:

Dear... Dr. Laura: Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God’s Law. I have learned a
great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can.
When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination.... End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God’s Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased
from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can
you clarify? Why can’t I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do
you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness
- Lev15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9.
The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to
death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser
abomination than homosexuality. I don’t agree. Can you settle this? Are there ‘degrees’ of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit
that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though
this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play
football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does
his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends
to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town
together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn’t we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like
we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I’m confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God’s word is eternal and unchanging. Your adoring fan, James M
Kauffman, Ed.D. Professor Emeritus, Dept. Of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education University
of Virginia (It would be a damn shame if we couldn’t own a Canadian)

PostPosted: 01/16/22 6:39 am • # 218 
Editorialist

The standard response to that sort of comment is to claim that those laws are in the Old Testament and don't apply any more. Only thing is if people actually read the bible they'd know that Jesus made it very clear that all the laws of the Old Testament would stand until the end of time.

Speaking specifically on the topic of Old Testament teachings he said:

The Law Stands

Quote:
“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” — Matthew 5:18-19

“It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid.” (Luke 16:17)

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.” (Matthew 5:17)

“Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law” (John7:19)

PostPosted: 01/17/22 4:28 pm • # 219 
Editorialist

Any Biblical legal system would have to be based on the Old Testament, Shift. The New Testament didn't create any laws. Jesus used parables and his own actions to give suggestions as to how people should treat each other but he didn't make laws. As for his suggestions, there are very, very few that right wing preachers, as the proponents of Biblical Law, would care to have included in their legal system. They simply aren't brutal enough.

PostPosted: 01/17/22 4:43 pm • # 220 
Editorialist

According to the Bible Jesus spoke in parables so the people wouldn't understand. Guess that means he wanted them to go to hell?

PostPosted: 01/20/22 9:37 am • # 221 
Administrator

New sex abuse allegations target son of former headmaster at now-closed Christian boarding school

More former students of a now-shuttered Christian boarding school in eastern Ontario are coming forward with allegations of sexual abuse against a son of the former headmaster, fearing he continues to be a danger to children.

The two former Grenville Christian College students told CBC's The Fifth Estate they were abused by Robert Farnsworth as children in the 1980s.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-alle ... -1.6319539

PostPosted: 01/28/22 7:19 am • # 222 
Editorialist

RIGHT WING EXTREMISM

Christian Nationalist Home-Schooling Podcaster Running for Congress to Bring ‘The Name of God’ Back Into Politics

Kyle Mantyla

Early in 2021, Christian nationalist home-schooling advocate, author, and podcaster Heidi St. John launched a bid for U.S. Congress in Washington state’s 3rd Congressional District. Outraged by incumbent Republican Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler’s vote to impeach former President Donald Trump in the wake of the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol, St. John decided to try and unseat her in the GOP primary by appealing to MAGA voters, denouncing public libraries as “evil organizations,” and pledging to “be a mom for America.”

Earlier this month, St. John appeared on the “Stand Up For The Truth” podcast, where she sounded Seven Mountains and Christian nationalist themes that have been central to her campaign, describing politics as “a spiritual battle” and vowing to “bring back the name of God into the political sphere.”

“[Politics is] in my blood,” St. John said. “And I think it should be in ...

https://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.c ... -politics/

PostPosted: 01/28/22 9:00 am • # 223 
Administrator

One of our local idiots. Video at link.

Nova Scotia pastor brags about defying public health order in online video

A Baptist pastor who attended a multi-day faith gathering in October 2021 that led to a COVID-19 outbreak linked to three deaths says his congregation will continue to sing, despite the public health order.

In a video posted to YouTube on Monday for his congregation, pastor Brandon Lake criticized the government’s COVID-19 restrictions, saying that freedoms are being stripped away.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8542567/nova ... deo-covid/

PostPosted: 01/30/22 3:23 pm • # 224 
Editorialist

What is an evangelical Christian?
In America, evangelicalism has become as much a political as a religious identity

EVANGELICAL CHRISTIANS have long been involved in American politics, but they gained national prominence in 1976. Newsweek declared it “the year of the evangelical” in a cover story; the group threw their support behind the conspicuously pious, Democratic candidate, Jimmy Carter, who described himself as a “born-again Christian” and was then the governor of Georgia. Four years later, evangelicals switched parties to back his Republican opponent, Ronald Reagan, preferring the former governor of California’s political conservatism to Mr Carter’s religious bona fides. Since then, white evangelicals have established themselves as America’s most cohesive and influential religious voting bloc. While mainline Protestant denominations have declined in both influence and numbers, and Catholics have split their vote between the two parties, white evangelicals have become the bedrock of the Republican Party. After insisting throughout the 1990s that character mattered, and that Bill Clinton was morally unfit for the presidency, they threw their support behind Donald Trump, a thrice-married rake. So what do evangelical Christians really believe?

That question has been debated for decades. According to David Bebbington, a British historian, an evangelical Christian believes in ...

https://www.economist.com/the-economist ... -christian

PostPosted: 01/30/22 3:39 pm • # 225 
Administrator

Quote:
So what do evangelical Christians really believe?

Whatever is convenient to maintain power.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next   Page 9 of 13   [ 316 posts ] New Topic Add Reply