It is currently 03/28/24 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 3 of 6   [ 127 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/07/20 5:56 pm • # 51 
Editorialist

good call (on the name removal). that is probably exactly right.

PostPosted: 01/07/20 8:05 pm • # 52 
Administrator

Iran struck a US base in Iraq ~ 20-30 US casualties ... so far ~ :\'(

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/07/20 10:12 pm • # 53 
Administrator

sooz06 wrote:

Sooz

What else could one expect?

PostPosted: 01/07/20 10:49 pm • # 54 
Administrator

I'd not be surprised to now see escalations in Iraq, Syria, Libya, Afghanistan and maybe a few other spots. I can also see other nations looking askance at US military bases on their soil.

PostPosted: 01/08/20 12:22 am • # 55 
Editorialist

wagging the dog

PostPosted: 01/08/20 8:22 am • # 56 
Administrator

This had better be a coincidence.

Iran plane crash: Ukraine International Airline jet crashes killing 176

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51029994

PostPosted: 01/08/20 8:36 am • # 57 
Editorialist

Iran attack: US troops targeted with ballistic missiles
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51028954

Well, now they have their excuse for war with Iran.

Sean Hannity calls for Trump to use “the full force” of American military in response to Iranian missile strikes
https://www.mediamatters.org/sean-hannity/sean-hannity-calls-trump-use-full-force-american-military-response-iranian-missile

PostPosted: 01/08/20 9:42 am • # 58 
Editorialist

sooz06 wrote:

Sooz

Has this been confirmed? Only the second time I've read this number.....one in a tweet and this one, but no news story.

PostPosted: 01/08/20 9:45 am • # 59 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:

Yeah. I find it highly suspect, but no details yet on a cause. I just read that 36 Canadians died, the majority from Edmonton. A newlywed couple and some relatives.

PostPosted: 01/08/20 9:45 am • # 60 
Administrator

sooz06 wrote:

Sooz

This morning's news seems to have reversed itself ~ now being reported that Iran "missed hitting troops on purpose", "was just sending a message" ~ no mention of casualties ~ getting murkier and murkier ~ and the dufus is saying " all is well" ~ :ey

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/08/20 9:55 am • # 61 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
oskar576 wrote:

Yeah. I find it highly suspect, but no details yet on a cause. I just read that 36 Canadians died, the majority from Edmonton. A newlywed couple and some relatives.

63 Canadians.

PostPosted: 01/08/20 9:57 am • # 62 
Administrator

sooz06 wrote:
sooz06 wrote:

Sooz

This morning's news seems to have reversed itself ~ now being reported that Iran "missed hitting troops on purpose", "was just sending a message" ~ no mention of casualties ~ getting murkier and murkier ~ and the dufus is saying " all is well" ~ :ey

Sooz

I suspect that is closer to the truth... that they missed deliberately but tells the Orange Menace that they can wreak havoc on USians.

PostPosted: 01/08/20 10:09 am • # 63 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
roseanne wrote:
oskar576 wrote:

63 Canadians.

Of course. I see my dyslexia kicked in. Sigh.

PostPosted: 01/08/20 11:27 am • # 64 
Editorialist

Interesting but long opinion piece

The Real Reason Trump Assassinated Qassem Soleimani

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-r ... soleimani/

PostPosted: 01/08/20 11:29 am • # 65 
Editorialist

Another from the same source

The U.S. Alone Is to Blame for a War With Iran

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-u ... with-iran/

PostPosted: 01/08/20 12:30 pm • # 66 
Editorialist

Iran's Foreign Minister just DESTROYED Trump live on air for threatening to commit war crimes against innocent civilians.

https://www.facebook.com/OccupyDemocrat ... live_video

PostPosted: 01/08/20 3:05 pm • # 67 
Editorialist

On the east coast, NBC Nightly News extended their program as the missiles were being fired, until it seemed that the fire had ended. They reported no known casualties before they went back to regular programming, about 20 minutes.

The first reports I heard on NPR of the Iran plane crash had statements from Ukraine and Iran that there was no connection to terrorism and that it was likely a mechanical failure. I guess someone (Boeing?) didn't like that statement so it has now become we will have no statement until an investigation is completed.

And, an earthquake has hit southern Iran, 4.9 and aftershock 4.5 in the area of their nuclear reactor.

Jan. 8, 2020 at 11:08 a.m. EST
Two earthquakes struck Iran near the Bushehr nuclear power plant Wednesday morning, during a tumultuous day in the country.

A 4.9-magnitude quake occurred around 9 a.m., local time, followed by a 4.5-magnitude aftershock 30 minutes later. Iranian state media reported there were no casualties and rescue teams were at the scene in the southern part of the country. The first earthquake hit at a depth of about 6 miles, according to the United States Geological Survey.

People who felt the earthquake around the site reported light shaking.

The nuclear plant was designed to withstand quakes up to magnitude-9. Iran is on major seismic faults and frequently experiences earthquakes. Its hard, mountainous landscape can prevent damage from mild to moderate earthquakes.

Wednesday’s quake came on the heels of Iran launching ballistic missiles at two Iraqi bases housing American military personnel. The country had earlier threatened retaliation for the U.S. killing of Quds Force leader Qasem Soleimani, a military official the Trump administration said was planning “imminent” terrorist attacks against U.S. diplomats and soldiers in the region.

Also Wednesday, more than 170 people aboard a Ukrainian passenger jet died when the plane crashed shortly after takeoff from Imam Khomeini International Airport, south of Tehran.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... ost&wpmm=1

Iran is having a tough few days.

PostPosted: 01/08/20 4:36 pm • # 68 
Administrator

Earthquakes are quite common in Iran.

PostPosted: 01/09/20 7:37 am • # 69 
Editorialist

He's definitely going to have to change his meds ....

Trump: Iran missiles fired at US were paid for with money released by Obama administration

Adam Shaw

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... nistration

PostPosted: 01/09/20 7:40 am • # 70 
Editorialist

I am a member of a local Facebook page, mostly to find out what's going on lol. The members will post about road conditions/closures before the official website does, or local crime etc. Anyway, there was a post from someone I know fairly well about what an idiot Trump is and the Iran situation. I am shocked by the people who have defended him and praised his actions. Mostly young females. I haven't argued with them because this is a very small town and things get nasty very fast....and I'm known to many because of my past jobs dealing with the public. Really? I dare say these young women are the "Fox News" type who rarely read (or listen to) a variety of news sources and probably don't follow US politics that deeply. Even I, as an American, can't know all the nuances of international politics or diplomacy. I really, really would like to "school" them, but it would be in vain. :lol

PostPosted: 01/09/20 7:42 am • # 71 
Editorialist

shiftless2 wrote:
He's definitely going to have to change his meds ....

Trump: Iran missiles fired at US were paid for with money released by Obama administration

Adam Shaw

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... nistration

Obama's fault. :sarcasm

PostPosted: 01/09/20 7:48 am • # 72 
Editorialist

If you can't read the text:

Quote:
Tweet from @Duty2warn

It's disturbing to watch the media comment on the speech he made moments ago without even referencing the heavy breathing, sniffing, disconnected affect, aphasia, wandering eyes, and other gaffes - it was a speech with words AND it was a verbal dump by a mentally unstable person.

PostPosted: 01/09/20 8:58 am • # 73 
Editorialist

I don't know - may be just my skeptical nature considering trump, his conniving and manipulations, but this whole business seems fishy to me now. Either it was some kind of set-up (Iranians wanted to get rid of Soleimani for some reason?) and it was all staged. The Iranian government seemed more rational, toned down by not retaliating as harshly as they normally would have and everyone expected - or trump realized he made a hugely mistake and saw an out. Is it possible the whole thing was manipulated by Putin (an Iran and trump ally) to make trump look better and like he got a one up on Iran and rational to not pursue any further actions. This whole action in effect made both trump and Iran look better in the long run and got away with getting rid of someone who might have been a thorn in more than one countries self interest. I know, so far-fetched and probably stupid - but it reeks and my gut keeps telling me more to this than meets the possibly, manipulated eye.

PostPosted: 01/09/20 9:48 am • # 74 
Editorialist

Karolinablue wrote:
I don't know - may be just my skeptical nature considering trump, his conniving and manipulations, but this whole business seems fishy to me now. Either it was some kind of set-up (Iranians wanted to get rid of Soleimani for some reason?) and it was all staged. The Iranian government seemed more rational, toned down by not retaliating as harshly as they normally would have and everyone expected - or trump realized he made a hugely mistake and saw an out. Is it possible the whole thing was manipulated by Putin (an Iran and trump ally) to make trump look better and like he got a one up on Iran and rational to not pursue any further actions. This whole action in effect made both trump and Iran look better in the long run and got away with getting rid of someone who might have been a thorn in more than one countries self interest. I know, so far-fetched and probably stupid - but it reeks and my gut keeps telling me more to this than meets the possibly, manipulated eye.

OK, I had the same damn thought this morning. Please don't tell me we are becoming conspiracy theorists! Trump is driving us crazy, maybe? :(

PostPosted: 01/09/20 9:50 am • # 75 
Editorialist

Interesting take, Karolina. Another complication from last nights news- speculation that an Iranian missile took out the passenger plane. There is some video that has not been authenticated yet but if it's really from this incident it shows an object, presumably the plane, breaking up and bursting into flame mid air. The talking heads were questioning why an aircraft was allowed to take off so soon after missile fire in the area. Iran would want all the news surrounding this incident to quiet real fast. They will be some big trouble with Canada and Ukraine if they shot down this passenger plane.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 3 of 6   [ 127 posts ] New Topic Add Reply