It is currently 03/29/24 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 3 of 4   [ 80 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/31/20 10:13 am • # 51 
Administrator

This should put the US at about the sae rank as Putin's Russia on the World Corruption Index.

PostPosted: 01/31/20 3:00 pm • # 52 
Editorialist

Unfortunately, for most of them their constituents are willing accomplices.

PostPosted: 01/31/20 3:14 pm • # 53 
Editorialist

what jim said. maybe even "enthusiastic".

PostPosted: 02/01/20 7:18 am • # 54 
Administrator

Keep investigating and impeach him again.

PostPosted: 02/01/20 10:57 am • # 55 
Editorialist

I am with oskar on that.

he is going to go right back to behaving badly, because it is how he rolls.

PostPosted: 02/01/20 11:17 am • # 56 
Administrator

This time enforce subpoenas with arrests and detentions for contempt of Congress. Stop being bloody wimps. Investigate McConnell et al for"high crimes and misdemeanors" and impeach them if the evidence suits. Same goes for judges and/or politicians of any stripe.

PostPosted: 02/01/20 1:16 pm • # 57 
Administrator

oskar576 wrote:
Keep investigating and impeach him again.

oskar576 wrote:
This time enforce subpoenas with arrests and detentions for contempt of Congress. Stop being bloody wimps. Investigate McConnell et al for"high crimes and misdemeanors" and impeach them if the evidence suits. Same goes for judges and/or politicians of any stripe.

:st :st :st

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/01/20 2:43 pm • # 58 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:

Doesn't issuing and enforcing those subpoena's require the cooperation of the DOJ? And with Barr at the helm of that it ain't gonna happen.

PostPosted: 02/01/20 2:45 pm • # 59 
Administrator

Quote:
Doesn't issuing and enforcing those subpoena's require the cooperation of the DOJ? And with Barr at the helm of that it ain't gonna happen.

Apparently not. From what I read the sergeant-at-arms can arrest them.

PostPosted: 02/01/20 3:05 pm • # 60 
Editorialist

Trump lawyer: foreign intervention in US elections can be OK
By Steve Benen

In one of the more important interviews of his presidency, Donald Trump spoke with ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos in June 2019, and fielded some questions about foreign election interference. In the wake of the revelations surrounding the Russia scandal, it stood to reason that the Republican would recognize the importance of rejecting campaign “help” from abroad.

But he didn’t. Instead, Trump said that if a foreign country offered him dirt on an opponent, he’d “take it.” In fact, the president mocked the idea of alerting the FBI to foreign intervention, insisting, “Give me a break. Life doesn’t work that way.”

It was against this backdrop that one of the president’s attorneys fielded an important question during yesterday’s Senate impeachment proceedings. The Washington Post reported:

Quote:
Toward the end of the night, Democrats bridled over comments by [Deputy White House Counsel Patrick Philbin] responding to a question from Sen. Christopher A. Coons (D-Del.) about Trump’s apparent public solicitation of Russia and China for compromising materials on his campaign rivals. Philbin argued that Trump’s remarks did not, in fact, represent a violation of campaign finance laws that make it illegal to accept or solicit a “thing of value” from foreign sources.

“Apparently it’s okay for the president to get information from foreign governments in an election – that’s news to me,” said Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.), a House manager, as fuming Democrats accused Philbin of engaging in a wholesale rewrite of federal law to cover for Trump.

Lofgren was hardly alone. Coons’ question specifically noted that the president’s legal defense team filed a legal brief with the Senate as part of the impeachment proceedings, and the document noted that Congress has “forbidden” foreign involvement in American elections. The Delaware Democrat asked whether Trump agrees with this, given that he said largely the opposite in the Stephanopoulos interview.

Lofgren was hardly alone. Coons’ question specifically noted that the president’s legal defense team filed a legal brief with the Senate as part of the impeachment proceedings, and the document noted that Congress has “forbidden” foreign involvement in American elections. The Delaware Democrat asked whether Trump agrees with this, given that he said largely the opposite in the Stephanopoulos interview.

Yesterday, Philbin sided with his client’s view, saying that a president can accept “credible information” from foreign sources, and it wouldn’t necessarily count as “campaign interference.” The deputy White House counsel added, “I think the idea that any information that happens to come from overseas is necessarily campaign interference is a mistake.”

FBI Director Chris Wray has said that if candidates for public office are offered foreign intelligence to help their campaigns, the proper response is to alert federal law enforcement. Attorney General Bill Barr has drawn similar conclusions. Trump and his legal team, however, are of the opinion that if the foreign intelligence is credible and interesting, it’s fair game.

There’s a reason Democrats were furious with Team Trump’s posture. It’s one thing for a confused president to pop off in an interview about a subject he doesn’t understand; it’s something else for one of his White House lawyers to echo Trump’s bad argument on the floor of the Senate during an impeachment trial.

Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.), the vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, described himself as “stunned,” adding that Philbin’s argument “contradicts everything that our committee has said, everything the intelligence community has worked on.”

As The Hill noted, Sen. Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.), another member of the Intelligence Committee, had a similar reaction.

Quote:
“We are encouraged to at all times report even just contact with foreign efforts at interference in our elections or of manipulation of our government activities,” he said.

“This idea that you would take information from a foreign government seeking to impact an election and then weaponize that or use that just because it may be credible – I’ve just never heard anything like that. I think it’s absolutely unconscionable,” he added. […]

He said the nation has historically done whatever it could to insulate government decision-making and elections from foreign influence. “This basically said throw open the doors,” he said of the White House’s argument.

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) added via Twitter, “It’s all out in the open now. The president’s counsel just argued that there is nothing wrong with any candidate for office soliciting dirt on their opponents from foreign countries. They’re not even trying to fake it anymore.”

Of course, none of this is happening in a vacuum. As was true in the aftermath of the Stephanopoulos interview, we’re confronted with a dynamic in which Trump and his legal team have signaled to possible international benefactors that the sitting American president would welcome their interference in his re-election efforts. The president is well aware of the scandal that unfolded after the 2016 race, but Team Trump has left little doubt that he wouldn’t mind seeing a sequel.

SOURCE

PostPosted: 02/04/20 7:46 am • # 61 
Editorialist

Republicans say Trump has learned his lesson on impeachment. The evidence suggests otherwise.
Aaron Blake

As President Trump’s impeachment trial winds down, the argument from some Senate Republicans is trending in a very specific direction: What he did was perhaps wrong, but it wasn’t impeachable. The message to Trump seems to be: Please don’t do it again.

They sound awfully certain that he won’t, though, despite plenty of reasons to be skeptical Trump will be chastened by this.

Appearing on the Sunday news shows this weekend, Sens. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) and Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) indicated that Trump mishandled the Ukraine situation. But they both also said they believed Trump won’t make the same mistake again.

Ernst appeared on CNN’s “State of the Union” and strained to avoid directly criticizing Trump. Eventually, she said that ...

MORE>

PostPosted: 02/05/20 7:14 am • # 62 
Editorialist

Americans erupt over ‘typical disingenuous Susan Collins nonsense’ as she acquits Trump’s bad behavior
Sarah K. Burris

Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) announced that she was voting to acquit President Donald Trump for his “poor judgment.” Just hours before his State of the Union Address, Collins announced that against removing Trump from office because it had never been done before.

She was quickly blasted for her illogical argument that treated Maine voters like they were “gullible” enough to believe ...

MORE>

PostPosted: 02/05/20 8:31 pm • # 63 
Administrator

I confess the "WHO" here, and his eloquence, surprises me! ~ :eek ~ the video is @8mins and is well worth the time ~ Sooz

Mitt Romney breaks ranks, will vote to convict Donald Trump
02/05/20 02:46 PM—Updated 02/05/20 04:45 PM
By Steve Benen

Sen. Mitt Romney’s (R-Utah) relationship with Donald Trump has been … complicated. In 2012, when Trump’s political persona was defined by his support for a racist conspiracy theory, Romney welcomed and accepted his support for Romney’s presidential campaign. A few years later, when Trump was leading his own bid for national office, Romney spearheaded Republican opposition to the New Yorker’s candidacy.

After the 2016 campaign, Romney nevertheless met with Trump about a leading cabinet post, which the president-elect dangled for a while, before ultimately leaving Romney empty-handed.

The peaks and valleys have continued during Trump’s tenure in the White House, and as recently as October, the president called for Romney’s “impeachment.” (In our system of government, there is no such thing as impeaching a senator, though the president doesn’t know that.)

[Video, "Watch Romney deliver full remarks on his decision to vote to convict Trump", accessible via the end link.]

It’s probably safe to say their relationship is about to reach the point of no return.

Quote:
Sen. Mitt Romney announced Wednesday he would vote to remove President Donald Trump from office – making the former GOP president nominee the only Republican to say he will vote to convict the president ahead of the day’s historic vote on two articles of impeachment.

Romney, R-Utah, said in a speech on the Senate floor that he would vote to convict the president for abuse of power and to acquit on the obstruction of Congress charge.

“I swore an oath before God to exercise impartial justice,” he said. “I am profoundly religious. My faith is at the heart of who I am,” adding that he believed Trump was “guilty of an appalling abuse of public trust.”

“The grave question the Constitution tasks senators to answer is whether the president committed an act so extreme and egregious that it rises to the level of a high crime and misdemeanor,” Romney declared. “Yes, he did.”

The GOP senator added, “Were I to ignore the evidence that has been presented and disregard what I believe my oath and the Constitution demands of me for the sake of a partisan end, it would, I fear, expose my character to history’s rebuke, and the censure of my own conscience.”

The Utah Republican will be the first senator in American history to ever vote to convict a president of his own party in an impeachment trial.

In the process, Romney has brought a degree of embarrassment to his GOP colleagues – who apparently remain unconcerned about exposing their character to history’s rebuke and the censure of their own consciences.

This took no small amount of courage. The pressures being applied to Senate Republicans have been ferocious, and for Romney to stand alone, indifferent to the consequences, will help etch his name into historical stone.

As a practical matter, the Utahan’s vote will not change the outcome in any material way. It takes 67 votes in the Senate to convict a president and remove him or her from office, and in Trump’s case, that meant at least 20 GOP senators would’ve had to take the evidence of the president’s guilt seriously. That was never a likelihood.

But the White House made it painfully clear to Republicans everywhere that Trump expected unflinching loyalty, regardless of the practical consequences. The president didn’t just want an acquittal, he wanted a talking point: Trump hoped to spend the rest of his life publishing tweets about unanimous Republican opposition to his impeachment. He wanted a dynamic in which the entire effort could be permanently branded as a “partisan,” one-party exercise.

And now, a lone red-state senator, unable to look past the truth, has taken that away.

Trump will not be kind to Mitt Romney, but history will be.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/mitt-romney-breaks-ranks-will-vote-convict-donald-trump

PostPosted: 02/05/20 9:19 pm • # 64 
Editorialist

shiftless2 wrote:
Americans erupt over ‘typical disingenuous Susan Collins nonsense’ as she acquits Trump’s bad behavior
[i]Sarah K. Burris

Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) announced that she was voting to acquit President Donald Trump for his “poor judgment.” Just hours before his State of the Union Address, Collins announced that against removing Trump from office because it had never been done before.

She was quickly blasted for her illogical argument that treated Maine voters like they were “gullible” enough to believe ...

MORE>
[/i]

Not exactly the blowback Collins expected although nobody should be surprised at her pretend waffling before snapping back into line. She does it every time. Like the little boy who called wolf once too often, she faked the reasonable Republican once too often.

PostPosted: 02/05/20 9:21 pm • # 65 
Administrator

Pity Romney doesn't challenge Trump for a Presidential nomination.

PostPosted: 02/06/20 9:19 am • # 66 
Editorialist

Trump has learned his lesson

Sounds a lot like Chamberlain's "Peace for our time".

PostPosted: 02/06/20 4:58 pm • # 67 
Editorialist

good call, John

PostPosted: 02/06/20 6:10 pm • # 68 
Administrator

Yes, of course, cursing in public proves he's a "tough guy" ~ :ey ~ Sooz

Trump just had a weapons-grade crazy post-impeachment tantrum — here are the most insane moments
Published on February 6, 2020 / By Brad Reed

President Donald Trump on Thursday held an hour-long address to the American people in which he attacked his political opponents and shouted expletives while Republican lawmakers cheered him on.

The president’s angry tirade included attacks on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) and Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT), and also featured some bizarre off-the-cuff ramblings about his Republican allies.

Below are the most insane moments from the president’s post-impeachment rant.

1.) Trump says that Rep. Steve Scalise’s (R-LA) wife really loves him because she was visibly upset after he got shot.

For unexplained reasons, the president gave a recap of the 2017 shooting at a congressional softball game practice that put Scalise in the hospital. Trump said he was impressed at how emotional his wife, Jennifer Scalise, got when visiting him in the hospital.

“A lot of wives wouldn’t give a damn,” he said.

2.) Trump calls Pelosi and Schiff “horrible” people.

The president had few kind words to say for Pelosi and Schiff, two of the House of Representatives’ most powerful Democrats who lead the impeachment effort against him.

In particular, he called Schiff a “failed screenwriter,” and he accused Pelosi of lying about praying for him. He also used the term “horrible person” to describe both Democratic lawmakers.

3.) Trump bashes Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT) and accuses him of using his Mormon faith as a “crutch” to convict him of abuse of power.

“Then you have some who used religion as a crutch,” Trump said of Romney citing his religious faith to justify convicting the president in the Senate impeachment trial. He then referred to Romney as a “failed presidential candidate” and “guy who can’t stand the fact that he ran one of the worst campaigns in the history of the presidency.”

4.) Trump pays very creepy tribute to Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-NY) by complimenting her looks and “that mouth.”

Trump gave a very strange shout out to Stefanik, who emerged as one of his most vocal defenders in the House of Representatives during last year’s impeachment inquiry.

“I thought, ‘she looks good, she looks like good talent,'” Trump said of Stefanik. “But I didn’t realize that when she opens that mouth, she was killing them.”

5.) Trump falsely claims that former FBI Director James Comey was helping lead a “coup” against him.

The president once again attacked former law enforcement officials who investigated his political campaign.

“They were going to try to overthrow the government of the U.S., a duly-elected president,” Trump said. “And if I didn’t fire Comey, we would never have found this stuff out, because when I fired that sleazebag, all hell broke out.”

6.) Trump claims that he was not just acquitted by the Senate, but that he achieved “total acquittal.”

The president doubled down on his claim that his infamous call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was “perfect,” even though it lead to a majority in the House of Representatives voting to impeach him and 48 percent of the United States Senate voting to convict him.

He then boasted that this all means he was completely vindicated.

“Now we have that gorgeous word, I never thought a word would sound so good, it’s called ‘total acquittal,'” he said.

Even though special counsel Robert Mueller outlined multiple instances of potentially criminal obstruction of justice by the president, and even though he got impeached in the House of Representatives, Trump continued to insist that nothing he did was worth any kind of investigation.

“It was bullsh*t!” the president fumed.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/02/trump-just-had-a-weapons-grade-crazy-post-impeachment-tantrum-here-are-the-most-insane-moments/

PostPosted: 02/06/20 7:02 pm • # 69 
Editorialist

He got acquitted after a rigged trial by a fixed jury several of who acknowledged his guilt but didn't want to upset their own gravy train by voting to convict him and he's proud of that????? It just shows how far out of touch with reality he is.

PostPosted: 02/07/20 1:50 pm • # 70 
Administrator

BUCKLE UP, folks! ~ it's gonna get reeeeeally ugly ~ :ey ~ Sooz

Following trial, Trump targets those on his ‘revenge list’
02/07/20 08:00 AM
By Steve Benen

The day after Senate Republicans acquitted him in his impeachment trial, Donald Trump attended the National Prayer Breakfast, where the president took some not-so-subtle shots at Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah). As a rule, presidents don’t use this event to settle scores and air grievances against perceived enemies, but Trump apparently couldn’t help himself.

Soon after, as part of a bizarre hour-long event at the White House, he was even more aggressive toward a wide range of foes, including Romney. Referring to the Utah senator’s vote to convict the president on one impeachment count, Trump said, “[T]he only one that voted against was a guy that can’t stand the fact that he ran one of the worst campaigns in the history of the presidency.”

For what it’s worth, in Romney’s 2012 bid for national office, he received 47% of the vote. Four years later, Trump received 46% of the vote. If Romney ran “one of the worst campaigns” ever, I’d love to hear why Trump couldn’t quite match his vote total.

Regardless, the president’s comments were emblematic of a larger truth: Trump has what Politico described as a “revenge list,” and his shots at Romney were little more than an “opening salvo.”

Indeed, the Washington Post noted another name on the same list.

Quote:
President Trump is preparing to push out a national security official who testified against him during the impeachment inquiry after he expressed deep anger on Thursday over the attempt to remove him from office because of his actions toward Ukraine.

Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman – a National Security Council aide who testified during House Democrats’ impeachment hearings – will be informed in the coming days, likely on Friday, by administration officials that he is being reassigned…. Trump is eager to make a symbol of the Army officer soon after the Senate acquitted him of the impeachment charges approved by House Democrats.

Remember, Vindman’s serious misdeed, in the eyes of Trump World, is telling the truth and playing by the rules. The president appears eager to kick Vindman out of the White House, not only to punish the decorated war hero, but also to discourage others who may be tempted to act as honorably as Vindman did.

What’s more, there’s no reason to believe the “revenge list” is short. White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham declared during a Fox News interview yesterday, “People should be held accountable.”

Last week, CBS News reported that key GOP senators had received stern warnings: those who cross the White House on impeachment, the report said, would find their head “on a pike.” As part of the trial proceedings, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), the lead impeachment manager, mentioned the CBS News report, prompting Senate Republicans to feign apoplexy. How dare a Democrat, GOP senators said, suggest that their gracious and forgiving leader would stoop to retaliating against those who disappoint him.

Perhaps some of the Republicans who whined the loudest could take a moment to revisit their concerns now.

As we discussed the other day, Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) stood on the Senate floor in October 2009, and issued “a friendly suggestion” to President Obama and his White House: “Don’t create an enemies list.”

It was the right advice, directed at the wrong president.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/following-trial-trump-targets-those-his-revenge-list

PostPosted: 02/07/20 6:33 pm • # 71 
Editorialist

I posted this on my FB page. . it will be ignored for the most part, but felt good to post it.

Noblesse oblige
My derrier

"When I demand all must adhere
I wave my hand and all my courtiers appear
And when they don't or if they won't
Loud and clear it's off with their heads
I don't care what they've done
Off with their heads
Is my first and second
Rule number one"
Sang the Mad Autocrat

PostPosted: 02/07/20 10:00 pm • # 72 
Editorialist

RNC FUNDED ROUGHLY 11,000 AUTOMATED CALLS TO JAM UP HOUSE DEMOCRATS' PHONE LINES AMID IMPEACHMENT BATTLE: REPORT

https://www.newsweek.com/rnc-funded-rou ... nt-1469719

PostPosted: 02/12/20 8:17 pm • # 73 
Editorialist

Trump gives UNREAL response to lesson he learned from impeachment

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=183004059600542

PostPosted: 02/13/20 4:01 pm • # 74 
Editorialist

The President's decision to expand his power post-trial has stunned Washington
Stephen Collinson

It's time to stop asking whether President Donald Trump will learn lessons from the controversies he constantly stokes -- of course he does. But far from stepping back or opting for contrition as his critics and appeasers hope, Trump draws darker political conclusions.

The result is that he expands his own power by confounding institutional restraints and opening a zone of presidential impunity -- while at the same time delighting his political base.

Trump's interference in the sentencing of his long-time associate Roger Stone and a post-impeachment retribution splurge reflect a lifetime's lessons of a real estate baron turned public servant.

On Wednesday, Trump publicly praised the Justice Department for reversing its call for a stiff jail term for Stone after his own critical late night tweet that laid bare fears of blatant interference in bedrock US justice.

"I want to thank the Justice Department for seeing this horrible thing. And I didn't speak to them by the way, just so you understand. They saw the horribleness of a nine-year sentence for doing nothing," the President told reporters.

He noted that the four prosecutors who quit the Stone case "hit the road," raising the prospect that their protests failed to introduce accountability to the administration and only served to further hollow out the government and make it more pliable to the President.
Trump denied that he crossed a line. But his tweet left no doubt about what he wanted to happen. And his strategy, in this case and others, actually worked.

Just as he used US government power to smear Joe Biden in the Ukraine scandal, he succeeded in getting favorable treatment for a friend in the Stone case -- though the final sentence will be up to a judge.

The Stone affair has also added to evidence that Attorney General William Barr is acting more as the President's personal lawyer and less to ensure the neutral administration of justice.

Trump's brazen approach was on also display Wednesday when he was asked what he learned from impeachment -- after several GOP senators said they hoped he would take lessons to be restrained.

"That the Democrats are crooked, they got a lot of crooked things going. That they're vicious, that they shouldn't have brought impeachment," Trump told reporters.

An unprecedented spectacle

The week since Trump's Senate trial ended has seen an unprecedented spectacle: A President acquitted of impeachable high crimes has recommitted himself to the shattering of guardrails that got him into trouble in the first place.

Trump's actions are informed by a political history that has seen him rewarded every time he has sought to buckle Washington normality with the warm approval of his core voters.

The unchained behavior typically causes Democratic outrage and a push for new investigations, and causes an outburst of media coverage warning that US norms are under attack. Such controversy only confirms for many Trump supporters that he is exactly the kind of disruptive force that they hoped for when they sent him to battle the Washington establishment in 2016.

Trump's belligerence makes for unpleasant moments for the Republican senators who acquitted him last week after a four-month impeachment drama who face awkward questions about the President's behavior from reporters on Capitol Hill.

But when they return home they have earned the approval of the Trump voters they need to stave off primary challenges and retain their seats when they're up for reelection. Underlining that his political strength in the heartland is impervious to Washington angst, the President tweeted out a series of congressional endorsements on Wednesday.

Trump's pattern of behavior relies on an indifference to the health of US political and judicial systems on the part of the President and a willingness to destroy trust in institutions that could take decades to recover from his power plays.

They also send messages to prosecutors across the country that it's permissible to allow political considerations to taint judicial business. And it risks establishing a precedent that future presidents -- Democratic or Republican -- will use to enforce their writ at the Justice Department.

The idea that justice is impartial is central to America's economic and political stability and key to its global reputation. Warnings about the stigma of justice corrupted by strongmen leaders have long been a core US criticism of nations in the developing world. The US government has for instance advocated for American businesses in China that complained about politics weighing on the court system.

The President's decision not to even wait a week after his impeachment trial -- an event that some Republicans said they hoped would teach him a lesson, despite voting for acquittal -- to expand his power has stunned Washington. That's even following three years of Trump-triggered shocks.

"What really unsettles me -- a former prosecutor for almost 30 years -- is when a person makes it through a storm, a criminal justice storm, and they learn nothing from the process," former federal prosecutor Gene Rossi told CNN's Brooke Baldwin Wednesday.

"I've talked to many people in the Department of Justice who still work there, career people, and they are absolutely upset, unsettled and angry that the head of the department is basically afraid of his shadow and will do anything for the President of the United States," he said.

Democrats set up Barr showdown

Democrats, having exhausted the ultimate political sanction of impeachment, are still vowing to hold Trump accountable. They plan to bring up the Stone matter during an appearance by Barr in the House Judiciary Committee on March 31.

Rep. Kathleen Rice, D-New York, warned that Trump was putting himself above the rule of law and sending a message to the public that his friends could escape justice when regular people could not.

"My fear is that Donald Trump is going to succeed in numbing the American public to his transgressions. We cannot let this happen. He has to be held accountable," Rice, a member of the House Homeland Security committee, told CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

Trump's intervention in the Stone case exposed his GOP supporters to fresh questions about his behavior -- only a week after they escaped the glare of the impeachment trial.

South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham said Trump shouldn't be tweeting about live cases. But he added that the Stone sentencing recommendation was extreme and that the Justice Department had not overstepped its bounds.

Asked by CNN's Manu Raju whether Graham felt emboldened by impeachment, the Republican senator replied: "I think he feels like the people are out to get him, going overboard."

Louisiana Republican Sen. John Kennedy described the President's tweet as "problematic." But he added that he did not detect nefarious behavior.

"I haven't seen any evidence that Justice changed its position or formulated its position based on the President's tweet. If somebody can show me evidence, more than speculation, I'll began to consider," Kennedy said.

Maine Sen. Senator Susan Collins said she didn't like "this chain of events."

"I think most people in America would look at that and say, 'Hmm, that just doesn't look right.' And I think they're right," Collins said.
And Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski, another moderate Republican who voted to acquit Trump after long agonizing over the decision, was asked whether Trump had taken any lessons from the impeachment saga. She offered that "there haven't been any strong indicators this week that he has."

SOURCE

PostPosted: 02/13/20 4:44 pm • # 75 
Editorialist

Why are they "stunned"? I'm confused. Looks like many people, other than Trump, didn't learn a thing from the fallout of the impeachment. I could've told them this a long time ago. Jeeze.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 3 of 4   [ 80 posts ] New Topic Add Reply