It is currently 03/29/24 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: 02/18/20 8:13 am • # 1 
Editorialist

He is correct when he writes, "To compare anything that has transpired in the past few years to this cataclysmic upheaval represents a spectacular lack of understanding about American history."

A historian explains the huge mistake people make about U.S. politics in 2020
https://www.alternet.org/2020/02/a-historian-explains-the-huge-mistake-people-make-about-u-s-politics-in-2020/

This leaves me thinking: How are things similar between today and the 1860's, how are they different, and what does it matter? And are we headed towards the kind of division that led to a civil war back then?

PostPosted: 02/18/20 10:15 am • # 2 
Editorialist

I'm not sure we will ever have another division like that was. However, today it's not just one issue. It's not just black vs. white. It's white vs any other race. It's religion vs. non-religion. It's abortion rights vs. right to life. On and on. Too many different viewpoints to split the nation into two factions and IMO, more chaotic than the Civil War years. I know I'm not saying this very clearly, but I think you get the gist.

edited to say: Good article and well worth thinking about. Thanks John

PostPosted: 02/18/20 10:39 am • # 3 
Editorialist

my dad felt that we were heading for a civil war. he used to say it quite a bit as long ago as a couple decades.

PostPosted: 02/18/20 10:53 am • # 4 
Editorialist

I used to say that too, but I thought that it might be about water and/or food supplies not political views. It may still be. To try to expound on my own thoughts, it's just that I think there are no clear political divisions. For instance: Some people who are pro-life have no problem with immigrants. Some who are racist can also be pro-choice. It's a muddled mess of political views. Then again, I may be making it more complicated than it truly is.....

PostPosted: 02/18/20 8:53 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

Roseanne, totally agree with you when you say "it's not just one issue".

In fact, I would go as far as to say it isn't any issue. I think there is a fundamental difference in the way the left and the right view our country.

PostPosted: 02/19/20 9:07 am • # 6 
Editorialist

Maybe it's really more simple and fundamental that we are making it. On one hand there is hope that fosters inclusion (women, minorities et al), on the other hand there is fear that demands exclusion and control of the same groups.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply