It is currently 04/19/24 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 61  Next   Page 10 of 61   [ 1507 posts ]
 Post subject: Re: Coronavirus
PostPosted: 03/30/20 9:40 am • # 226 
Editorialist

Just what we wanted to hear

"Our data suggest the possibility of extended duration of viral shedding in faeces, for nearly 5 weeks after the patients' respiratory samples tested negative for SARS-CoV-2 RNA. Although knowledge about the viability of SARS-CoV-2 is limited, the virus could remain viable in the environment for days, which could lead to faecal–oral transmission, as seen with severe acute respiratory virus CoV and Middle East respiratory syndrome CoV"

Prolonged presence of SARS-CoV-2 viral RNA in faecal samples

https://tinyurl.com/v78dj2e

Try that

Last edited by shiftless2 on 03/30/20 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03/30/20 10:49 am • # 227 
Editorialist

Shift

An error has occurred
The page or action you requested has resulted in an error. Please go back to the previous page by using your browser's Back button, or visit the Home Page.

This page does not exist

PostPosted: 03/30/20 10:51 am • # 228 
Editorialist

Because I am still working and because I can't post this on Facebook because of small town dynamics, I will say it here.

To all of the people who are not taking this shit seriously and following guidelines. A big

FUCK YOU!

Thanks for making my work day more stressful that it already is. :sarcasm

PostPosted: 03/30/20 12:23 pm • # 229 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
An error has occurred

Fixed (I hope)

PostPosted: 03/30/20 12:38 pm • # 230 
Editorialist

Never waste an opportunity to introduce a good conspiracy theory

Donald Trump Just Accused Healthcare Workers Stealing And Selling Face Masks

Chris York

Donald Trump has accused hospital workers in New York of stealing and possibly selling face masks “out the back door” during an astounding press conference on Sunday evening.

Standing in the White House’s Rose Garden the president asked reporters to look into the supposed illegal activity but provided no evidence to back up his claims aside from increased demand for supplies from hospitals swamped by the coronavirus pandemic.

“For years [suppliers] have been delivering ten to twenty thousand masks. OK, it’s a New York hospital and it’s packed all the time but how do you go from ten to twenty thousand to 300,000?”

“Something’s going on and you ought to look into it as reporters.

Where are the masks going? Are they going out the back door? And we. have that in a lot of different places so somebody should probably look into that because I just don’t see from a practical standpoint how that’s possible.”

Quote:
Josh Marshall @joshtpm

Trump appears to suggest a conspiracy, widespread theft or bad acting to explain why some New York hospitals are using so many masks. "Where are the masks going? Are they going out the back door?" Asks reporters to investigate.

vid at source

New York state is rapidly becoming the new global epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak. There are currently 8,500 people hospitalised in the state including 2,000 in intensive care.

Deaths in New York state increased by 237 in the past day alone, reaching a total of 965.

As for masks, they are single use and New York-Presbyterian Hospital for instance employs 20,000 people.

Asked by a reporter to explain his comments more fully, Trump said: “I don’t think it’s hoarding, I think it’s worse than hoarding.”

He added: “I don’t know, I don’t know, I think that’s for other people to check out.”

Also on Sunday, Dr Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, estimated in an interview with CNN that the pandemic could cause between 100,000 and 200,000 deaths in the United States.

New York, New Orleans and other major cities have pleaded to the Trump administration for more medical supplies and Reuters has documented healthcare workers hiding supplies such as face masks from colleagues in other departments as there is a chronic shortage despite the vast numbers being delivered.

Earlier on Sunday Trump also accused hospitals of hoarding ventilators but did not cite any evidence to back his accusation.

Critics have accused him of trying to deflect blame over his handling of the crisis.

SOURCE

It's called "projection" - Trump thinks that because he would sell the masks "out the back door" everyone else is doing the same.

PostPosted: 03/30/20 12:55 pm • # 231 
Editorialist

shiftless2 wrote:
roseanne wrote:
An error has occurred

Fixed (I hope)

Nope. Same message.

PostPosted: 03/30/20 12:57 pm • # 232 
Editorialist

Quote:
It's called "projection" - Trump thinks that because he would sell the masks "out the back door" everyone else is doing the same.

Yup.

PostPosted: 03/30/20 1:13 pm • # 233 
Editorialist

Why Trump's new CDC director is an abysmal choice
By Laurie Garrett
Updated 11:51 PM ET, Sun May 13, 2018
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/13/opinions/trumps-terrible-choice-for-cdc-redfield-garrett/index.html

Trump’s CDC Director Has a History of Controversial Opinions on Controlling Viruses
Robert Redfield has long allied himself with conservative politicians and their pet theories about disease.
March 7, 2020
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/03/trumps-cdc-director-has-a-history-of-controversial-opinions-on-controlling-viruses/

Redfield rejected the medical norms for handling the epidemic and called for a more faith-based approach:
“It is time to reject the temptation of denial of the AIDS/HIV crisis; to reject false prophets who preach the quick-fix strategies of condoms and free needles; to reject those who preach prejudice; and to reject those who try to replace God as judge. The time has come for the Christian community—members and leaders alike—to confront the epidemic,” he wrote. Redfield named the breakdown of family values and increasing number of single-parent households as key factors responsible for the spread of AIDS.

PostPosted: 03/30/20 1:26 pm • # 234 
Editorialist

The link works perfectly for me. But try this

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPd ... %2930083-2

or This

PostPosted: 03/30/20 1:53 pm • # 235 
Administrator

So why is Trump up in the polls?

PostPosted: 03/30/20 5:17 pm • # 236 
Editorialist

shiftless2 wrote:

or This

Thanks shift. That is disturbing.

PostPosted: 03/30/20 5:17 pm • # 237 
Editorialist

shiftless2 wrote:

or This

Thanks shift. That is disturbing.

PostPosted: 03/30/20 5:22 pm • # 238 
Editorialist

This infuriates me to no end.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/30/crowds-ig ... Hj7wUCqic4

PostPosted: 03/30/20 5:43 pm • # 239 
Editorialist

My cousin posted this on Facebook and I'm so angry I can't even reply without losing family ties. She's in Alabama and illustrates the ignorance of those who STILL don't get it. I'm also weary of researching things to rebut this sort of shit.

PostPosted: 03/30/20 6:37 pm • # 240 
Editorialist

Making phone calls must be above the pay grade of hospital managers

A Health Care Workers Union Found A Supplier With 39 Million Masks For Doctors And Nurses Fighting The Coronavirus
The SEIU said it found one supplier who has 39 million masks available and another who said it can make 20 million more masks per week.

Nidhi Prakash

A union representing health care workers has found a supplier to provide 39 million masks for desperately under-resourced hospitals in New York and California as medical staff struggle to treat the influx of people who have COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

The Service Employees International Union's United Healthcare Workers West started looking for vendors who could supply masks and other protective equipment five days ago, after "pleas from frontline health care workers that they need more protection and feel unsafe on the job," they said in a statement on Thursday. Union staff tracked down the supplier with 39 million masks available, along with another who they say can make 20 million masks per week. The union also found another who can deliver millions of face shields.

SEIU-UHW spokesperson Steve Trossman told BuzzFeed News he had no idea why the supplier had such a large quantity of masks on hand. He declined to name the company, but it has warehouses in Pennsylvania and Georgia.

"There was nothing magical about it. We just rolled up our sleeves and tried anybody who we thought might have a supply," Trossman said. "It really was old fashioned elbow grease."

The news comes as doctors and nurses fear for their own safety, as well as their ability to continue treating patients effectively when they don't have access to protective equipment like masks and face shields. At some hospitals, staff members are being asked to reuse masks not designed to last longer than a few hours.

The union represents 97,000 people who work in California hospitals.

"We knew that they were running out of equipment," Trossman said. "They were worried and they were scared, and they wanted to protect themselves and their families when they went home."

Overall the union represents 2 million members — including hospital, home care, and nursing home workers. It said it is focusing mainly on providing the supplies to hospitals, both unionized and nonunionized, in New York and California for now, but it hopes to expand its reach as it continues to search for suppliers.

The masks will cost states, counties, and hospitals that need them $5 apiece, with the union connecting hospital procurement officers directly with the suppliers — the union isn't making a profit from the supplies. They said the state of California, the Greater New York Hospital Association, and health care giant Kaiser Permanente, as well as Los Angeles and Santa Clara counties, were among the groups who are already buying masks through the suppliers the union found.

As union leaders said they were happy to find the much-needed supplies, they also called on the federal government to do more to coordinate supplies at a national level.

“While we are pleased with these initial results, we recognize they are stopgap measures in light of the estimated 3.5 billion masks that could be needed during this pandemic," Dave Regan, president of SEIU-United Healthcare Workers West, said in a statement. "We urgently need the federal government to step in and drive a coordinated national response to the PPE shortage."

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ni ... avirus-ppe

PostPosted: 03/30/20 6:47 pm • # 241 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
My cousin posted this on Facebook and I'm so angry I can't even reply without losing family ties. She's in Alabama and illustrates the ignorance of those who STILL don't get it. I'm also weary of researching things to rebut this sort of shit.

this is not the fucking flu is the only way to reply to this.

it is a respiratory virus. it is at least 20x as deadly as the flu, and at least as transmissible.

in other words, at least 20x as many people would die if as many catch this one.

I fervently hope the numbers don't get that high.

PostPosted: 03/30/20 7:00 pm • # 242 
Editorialist

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/opinions ... Stories%29

spot on.

PostPosted: 03/31/20 4:13 am • # 243 
Editorialist

macroscopic wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/opinions/history-verdict-on-trump-devastating-dantonio/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+CNN+-+Top+Stories%29
spot on.

Excellent article

PostPosted: 03/31/20 5:44 am • # 244 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:

Assuming his figures are right that is a death rate of just over 0.02% - or roughly 100 times less than the death rate for the Convid-19 virus. If as many people were infected, then even taking that low death rate would mean around 1,200,000 deaths could be expected.

I'd just pass on that information Rose.

But actually, and quite surprisingly Alabama was one of the states to act the quickest in trying to prevent the spread of the virus.

PostPosted: 03/31/20 6:25 am • # 245 
Editorialist

This is why we don't do group gatherings now!

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/st ... r-outbreak

FYI, that particular cluster infection rate is 75%

Damn.

PostPosted: 03/31/20 6:31 am • # 246 
Editorialist

Quote:
this is not the fucking flu is the only way to reply to this.

But...but, Trump SAID it was "just the flu".....She is a fervid Trump fan.

Not only is it not the flu, but this virus causes the phlegm in your lungs to crystallize. That is why so many of those who have recovered from a bad case say that it feels like shards of glass when you breathe. :(

PostPosted: 03/31/20 6:32 am • # 247 
Editorialist

MSNBC’s Morning Joe busts Rush Limbaugh for risking listeners’ lives by pushing coronavirus ‘lies’

https://www.alternet.org/2020/03/msnbcs-morning-joe-busts-rush-limbaugh-for-risking-listeners-lives-by-pushing-coronavirus-lies/

“I wonder how many people who are infected right now listened to that sort of talk and listened to people saying that it was a media hoax, that they’re whipping people into a frenzy and overplaying this to try to get President Trump impeached,” he said. “I wonder how many people are in the hospital today, how many people are infected today because they heard those lies in the media and they believed them. I wonder how many Rush Limbaugh listeners, of the 20 million listeners who listen to him each week, how many people depended on those lies, relied on him, and found out that even he is saying this is pneumonia times 10.”

PostPosted: 03/31/20 6:52 am • # 248 
Editorialist

5 reasons why the U.S. spread of COVID-19 could be worse than Italy
Infection growth likely to start slowing late-April before ‘second wave’ hits central U.S. cities; social distancing timeline likely to be pushed past April 30, Morgan Stanley says
By Tomi Kilgore

The spread of COVID-19 in the U.S. is accelerating and mortality is increasing exponentially, putting the U.S. on a potentially worse trajectory than Italy, according to an analysis by Morgan Stanley.

Biotechnology analyst Matthew Harrison said he expects President Donald Trump will have to extend the social distancing timeline again, past April 30. His new forecast for the U.S. calls for a peak of approximately 570,000 cases in about 20 days. That’s roughly triple the prior forecast of about 200,000 cases at the peak. Read MarketWatch’s coronavirus update.

His worry is that while the first wave of infection growth could start slowing in late April, the U.S. will be hit with a “second wave” of growth, emanating from the central regions.

“Importantly, this new forecast continues to assume more social distancing and a continued rapid increase in testing,” Harrison wrote in a note to clients. “We would highlight that the biggest risk to this forecast is that while we have reasonable confidence the East and West coasts will reach peak cases in the next 2-3 weeks, the interior of the country is now exhibiting signs of new outbreaks.”

He said there is also risk that the second wave delays the U.S. peak, or causes “recontamination” of the coastal cities.

1) U.S. cases are growing the fastest

“The U.S. [now has] the largest number of cases among all countries, while the growth rate of U.S. cases is now the highest among all countries we follow...and is accelerating faster than Italy when adjusted for the start of the respective outbreaks.”

2) U.S. mortality is not slowing despite social distancing

“Mortality is increasing at an exponential rate in the U.S. at a slightly lower slope than Italy prior to its lockdown. While mortality will lag new cases, other countries have been able to slow from exponential growth after lockdowns.”

3) New cases are growing faster than testing capacity

“Rates of testing positivity continue to trend higher across the U.S. as testing rates lag other countries and cases are growing faster than tests, suggesting the U.S. continues to lack enough testing capacity.”

4) New ‘hot spots’ are exhibiting growth above other regions

“Case rates for emerging U.S. ‘hot spots’ are growing at rates faster than all countries or U.S. states. This suggests new U.S. cases could continue to accelerate.”

The new hot spots include Louisiana, Michigan and Illinois, as well as New York and Florida.

5) Social-distancing measures remain not as strict as other countries

“The U.S. has more limited quarantine measures compared to Italy or China.”

Italy is exhibiting stabilization, and is now likely to reach a peak about 15 days after China. That represents a time to peak that is 2-times that of China and 3-times that of South Korea.

“With the U.S. potentially trending worse than Italy, we would expect more social distancing to reduce the risk of tracking significantly worse than Italy.”

Data suggests faster spreading in the U.S., with the “reproduction number” of the U.S. at 2.44 higher than Italy at 1.48, while the doubling time of cases in the U.S. of about 3.7 days is lower than Italy’s at 10 days, “pointing to a significantly faster elevation of case numbers in the U.S. than Italy.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/5-rea ... 2020-03-30

PostPosted: 03/31/20 7:25 am • # 249 
Editorialist

Good to see that people are finally starting to call him on his BS

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=240577553745567

PostPosted: 03/31/20 8:10 am • # 250 
Editorialist

Quote:
But actually, and quite surprisingly Alabama was one of the states to act the quickest in trying to prevent the spread of the virus.

While that may be true (not sure), there is this:

Some States May Deny Lifesaving Care to People With Intellectual Disabilities

Several groups have already made complaints this week to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, saying that vague plans in states like Washington and Alabama open the door to discrimination against the intellectually disabled because they allow for certain groups to be prioritized in getting access to ventilators, a critical part of treating severe cases of COVID-19.

Alabama’s plan states that “persons with severe mental retardation, advanced dementia or severe traumatic brain injury may be poor candidates for ventilator support,” according to ProPublica. It also says that “persons with severe or profound mental retardation, moderate to severe dementia, or catastrophic neurological complications such as persistent vegetative state are unlikely candidates for ventilator support.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/people-wi ... s-pandemic

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 61  Next   Page 10 of 61   [ 1507 posts ] New Topic Add Reply