It is currently 04/25/24 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: 10/12/20 8:49 am • # 1 
Editorialist

'It's already having a massive effect,' corporate America demands Trump rescind executive order on diversity
Jessica Guynn

Michelle Kim received an email this week from a corporate client who asked her to make sure her anti-racism talk would comply with the White House’s new executive order prohibiting the use of terms such as “white privilege.” She offered to cancel the agreement instead.

“Even if I could deliver a compelling talk without using the term, I could not agree with the spirit of the ask,” Kim, an author and CEO of Awaken, which provides interactive diversity, equity and Inclusion workshops, wrote on Twitter. “I understand the predicament companies are in right now – ‘Does this expose us to legal risk?’ ‘Will we get sued?’ ‘Will we lose our government contracts?’”

President Trump’s decision to restrict the federal government and its contractors from engaging in what he calls “divisive” and “un-American” diversity training is sending a chilling effect throughout corporate America just as companies were stepping up efforts to address racial disparities following the death of George Floyd, a Black man, under the knee of white officer in Minneapolis in May.

“It’s already having a massive effect and will continue to ...

MORE>

PostPosted: 10/15/20 12:18 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

To a limited degree I agree with Grabem's directive. This constantly harping on "white privilege" and other dog whistle terms is just feeding the divisiveness in the country. It's gone to such extremes that one of the party leaders up here in our provincial election has been accused of racism because he said he had friends from all walks of life and didn't even notice their colour. Apparently it is now racist to not be racist.

PostPosted: 12/28/20 7:47 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Donald Trump executive order banning diversity training blocked by federal judge
Jessica Guynn

A federal judge has blocked Donald Trump's executive order restricting the federal government and its contractors from offering diversity training that the president labeled "divisive" and "un-American."

U.S. District Judge Beth Labson Freeman granted a preliminary nationwide injunction in the lawsuit filed by LGBT rights groups in November in the Northern District of California, saying the groups were likely to prevail on their First Amendment claims.

“Plaintiffs have demonstrated a likelihood of success in proving violations of their constitutional rights,” Freeman wrote in a 34-page order Tuesday. “Moreover, as the government itself acknowledges, the work Plaintiffs perform is extremely important to historically underserved communities.”

The Labor Department referred USA TODAY to the Justice Department, which is handling the case. The Justice Department could not be reached for comment.

MORE>

I wouldn't expect the Justice Department to respond - after all, I think they know that Executive Order is going to end up on the rubbish heap of history in a few weeks.

Last edited by shiftless2 on 12/28/20 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/28/20 7:52 am • # 4 
Administrator

Next on the list is competenceism.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply