It is currently 04/24/24 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
PostPosted: 10/21/20 4:16 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Now that is worthy of an emergency debate.

When is a sausage a sausage? That's what the European parliament will be voting on this week.

A group of farmers are hoping a bill will be passed that would ban vegetarian products from being called sausages or burgers.

They say the measure is needed to prevent people from being misled into thinking the products contain meat.

More-----> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54618520

PostPosted: 10/21/20 5:36 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I don't think it is just a group of farmers. Heck, I'd go ballistic if some store would sell me a sausage with fake meat. I don't even buy sausages with cheese or such nonsense in it.

PostPosted: 10/21/20 5:51 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

But as long as it's labelled "vegetarian" or "vegan" why should I care?

PostPosted: 10/22/20 8:36 am • # 4 
Administrator

shiftless2 wrote:

It would be fine as long as it is labeled in large letters as such.
Experience, however, is that such information soon requires a magnifying glass, and that should not be necessary.

There's a reason why the EU comes up with such pesky requirements to label the contents of sausage, for example the quantity of water in it or any other fillers in lieu of actual meat.
Let the EU define sausage and make sure that "vegan" sausages are only allowed to be sold in the vegetable section of a store. There is no reason to peddle them in a meat section.

PostPosted: 10/22/20 8:54 am • # 5 
Administrator

jabra2 wrote:
shiftless2 wrote:

Experience, however, is that such information soon requires a magnifying glass, and that should not be necessary.

There's a reason why the EU comes up with such pesky requirements to label the contents of sausage, for example the quantity of water in it or any other fillers in lieu of actual meat.
Let the EU define sausage and make sure that "vegan" sausages are only allowed to be sold in the vegetable section of a store. There is no reason to peddle them in a meat section.

So why are eggs in the dairy section?

PostPosted: 10/22/20 10:38 am • # 6 
Administrator

oskar576 wrote:
jabra2 wrote:
shiftless2 wrote:

So why are eggs in the dairy section?

At my store eggs are in the egg section, though very close to the dairy section. :D

PostPosted: 10/22/20 1:33 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Quote:
At my store eggs are in the egg section, though very close to the dairy section.

Try milking a chicken.

PostPosted: 10/22/20 1:36 pm • # 8 
Administrator

sau·sage
(sô′sĭj)
n.
1. Finely chopped and seasoned meat, especially pork, usually stuffed into a prepared animal intestine or other casing and cooked or cured.

2. A small cylinder-shaped serving of this meat.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/sausage

no meat= no sausage

PostPosted: 10/23/20 6:59 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

shiftless2 wrote:

I'm with you. We already have to read labels carefully for all kinds of reasons. No sodium, reduced sodium, gluten free, tree nut free, nonfat/skim/2%/whole cow milk, etc. etc.

But I also agree with Jab that labels should be easier to read. And that goes for everything! Heck, I was looking at magnifying "readers" in the store today to make coupon clipping easier. :lol

PostPosted: 11/03/20 3:09 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

Here's what I cannot understand- if you are so averse to the concept of eating animal products, why on earth would you want your vegetables to resemble an animal product? What the hell????

PostPosted: 11/05/20 12:53 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

At my store eggs are in the egg section, though very close to the dairy section. :D

And in my store the fake sausages are in the fake meat section, though very close to the meat section.

There have been veggie burgers out for years, sometimes in the meat section and sometimes in the deli section, but nobody has raised a fuss. I expect that's because they were wholly unpalatable tasting somewhere between sawdust and dog shit. "Beyond Meat" and some of these other new fake meat brands are actually very good. In fact, to my mind, the Beyond Meat sausages are better than regular sausages.

If this restriction passes, the issue could spread. Is Soy Milk going to become Soy Beverage for instance. Or Egg Beaters will become Fluffy White and Yellow Barf? How about genetically modified grains meat and veggies. Are we going to have to find new labels for them.

What the farmers don't seem to realize is that these alternate foods aren't trying to pretend they're meat. Their big selling point is that they are not meat and they broadcast it loud and proud on their packaging. The problem for the farmers is that this stuff is damn good, sometimes even better than meat. What the farmers have to do is get rid of all these hormones and additives so that meat actually has flavor again.

PostPosted: 11/05/20 2:07 pm • # 12 
Administrator

jimwilliam wrote:

And in my store the fake sausages are in the fake meat section, though very close to the meat section.

There have been veggie burgers out for years, sometimes in the meat section and sometimes in the deli section, but nobody has raised a fuss. I expect that's because they were wholly unpalatable tasting somewhere between sawdust and dog shit. "Beyond Meat" and some of these other new fake meat brands are actually very good. In fact, to my mind, the Beyond Meat sausages are better than regular sausages.

If this restriction passes, the issue could spread. Is Soy Milk going to become Soy Beverage for instance. Or Egg Beaters will become Fluffy White and Yellow Barf? How about genetically modified grains meat and veggies. Are we going to have to find new labels for them.

What the farmers don't seem to realize is that these alternate foods aren't trying to pretend they're meat. Their big selling point is that they are not meat and they broadcast it loud and proud on their packaging. The problem for the farmers is that this stuff is damn good, sometimes even better than meat. What the farmers have to do is get rid of all these hormones and additives so that meat actually has flavor again.

It isn't only meat. Ever try those nice, big, fat, totally tasteless strawberries?

PostPosted: 11/05/20 3:47 pm • # 13 
Administrator

Look boys, them "veggies thingies" are fightin words for a Kraut like me
None of those 1500 kinds allow who still could blind-folded name the flavor of at least 200 of the approximately 1500 different kinds of German sausage.
None of those 1500 different kinds of sausage are allowed to get anywhere close to vegetables (or sawdust).
Now if some non-German producer wants to add or replace meat with some other stuff, sell them in your home country or export them to China but stay the fu3k out of Sausage Land.

PostPosted: 11/05/20 8:34 pm • # 14 
Editorialist

Try a "Beyond Meat" Mild Italian Sausage. I promise you will out hiding in your trailer woofin' them down where your country men, your national pride and your conscience can't see you.

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply