It is currently 04/24/24 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/26/20 10:18 am • # 1 
Editorialist

"The View" ridicules "ice queen" Melania Trump for pretending to love Christmas after profane rant
Melania was caught on tape ranting about White House holiday festivities: “Who gives a f*ck about Christmas stuff?"

By SARAH K BURRIS

First lady Melania Trump was caught on tape by a friend ranting about Christmas at the White House. After years of conservatives alleging that liberals were engaging in a "War on Christmas," Melania ranted, "Who gives a f*ck about Christmas stuff and decoration?"

"I'm in the Christmas spirit!" cheered Republican strategist Ana Navarro, belting out, "Joy to the world, the Trump's are gone!"

"Really this tape we heard of Melania was so ironic and absurd and ridiculous," Navarro continued. "How long have we been hearing Donald Trump talk about the war on Christmas, the war on Christmas, blah, blah, blah. Turns out the whole time the war on Christmas was coming from within the White House. No wonder she decorated the White House with those trees that looked like the 'Handmaid's Tale.' Be best. Be gone."

Sunny Hostin confessed she's just happy that the national nightmare is finally over.

"I don't think she's had this big change of heart," Hostin said after viewing photos of the first lady receiving the Christmas tree. "I happen to love Christmas decorating. I think it would such an honor to decorate the White House. That's an iconic thing to do. Every time she decorated it looked like the Narnia ice queen. It was horrible all the time. Now we know why it was horrible. She didn't like to do it. I never heard a first lady or anyone else say, 'Who gives a blank about Christmas stuff?' We all care about Christmas stuff! Melania, you're the first lady! I have to agree. She's like the Grinch who stole Christmas decorations from the White House. I'm just happy this is over. I really am."

Sara Haines compared it to the "Instagram moment" vs. reality. On Instagram, the first lady is all smiles with the Christmas tree but behind the scenes, the reality is she's waging her own war on Christmas.

"Secretly taping the First Lady and willfully breaking an NDA to publish a salacious book is a clear attempt at relevance. The timing of this continues to be suspect – as does this never-ending exercise in self-pity and narcissism," Melania Trump's chief of staff Stephanie Grisham said in a statement.

https://www.salon.com/2020/11/24/the-vi ... t_partner/

PostPosted: 11/27/20 7:57 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Every Christmas tradition is pagan in origin
By Gerald McWilliams

Christmas Tree: It is a 17th-century, pagan, German tradition, of bringing greenery into the home, as a symbol of the spring yet to come.

Yule Log & Mistletoe: The Celts and Gaels burned logs as a druidic solstice ceremony to cleanse the past year and welcome the new. And they gathered mistletoe for the festival of Alban Arthuan (or Yule) ~ First described in writing by Roman historian Pliny the Elder (Gaius Plinius Secundus AD 23 – August 25, AD 79).

Father Christmas or Santa Claus: He is a mashup of the tale of the Turkish Saint Nicholas and the German, Kris Kringle or the Dutch, Sinterklaas.

Midwinter festivals: “If you happen to live in a region in which midwinter brings striking darkness and cold and hunger, then the urge to have a celebration at the very heart of it to avoid going mad or falling into deep depression is very, very strong.” ~ Ronald Hutton, a historian at Bristol University.

Christmas Day: The Bible gives no reference to when Jesus was born. It was marked on at least three different dates: 29 March, 6 January, and sometime in June. It wasn’t until Pope Julius I, in 340 AD, who moved it to 25 December. This was conveniently used to convert pagans, since it coincided with two major pre-Christian festivals: Roman Bacchanalia, or Saturnalia, and various Yule celebrated by the Norse, Gaels, & Celts.

Stockings and Gift-Giving: A mashed up tradition of St. Nicholas tossing coins down the chimney of the needy families and of setting out shoes with hay in so Odin’s horse Sleipnir would leave them treats.

Caroling: It started in Victorian England, every holiday had door-to-door singing well-wishers.

Every, single, Christmas tradition was taken from a pagan tradition or religion. For fun, read about Isis & Horus; Devaki & Krishna; and Anahita & Mithra…all which predate Christianity, and detail immaculate births of a savior. And, 16th Century Protestants in England and New
England even forbade celebrating the holiday.

HAPPY FESTIVUS!

Links:

http://www.livescience.com/25779-christ ... anism.html
http://www.mentalfloss.com/article/8970 ... traditions
http://www.transceltic.com/pan-celtic/c ... traditions
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_ ... 12341.html
http://www.listverse.com/2012/12/15/10- ... raditions/
http://www.humanjourney.us/sons-of-god- ... in-births/

The Pagan Origins Of Christmas

The Origin of Christmas

The ‘Jesus of history’ – Memory or Myth?

SOURCE

PostPosted: 11/27/20 1:12 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

So where did the traditional "War on Christmas" hail from?

PostPosted: 11/27/20 3:11 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

Think it was Starbuck's holiday cups being solid red. Or something like that.

PostPosted: 11/28/20 6:05 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

A point of information - the upcoming holiday season is pretty full so I don't know if we'll be able to wage an all out War on Christmas this year

PostPosted: 11/28/20 10:33 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

Well, there some recovery time on Vibrator Day so a skirmish or two could be fought then. Beethoven's Birthday is a bit of a dead issue so there's probably time for one good all out battle. And, of course There's always "Insult a Religious Fanatic Day" for all out assaults. There's lots of times during several other days for occasional sniping and "Happy Holidays" grenades. After all we wouldn't want to ruin the poor little dears Christmases by not giving them something to whine and snivel about.

PostPosted: 11/29/20 6:33 am • # 7 
Editorialist

:ph

PostPosted: 12/02/20 9:23 am • # 8 
Editorialist

Gotta laugh at this one

Atheists Won Seven of the Eight Holiday Display Slots in the Iowa Capitol

BY HEMANT MEHTA

If you visit the Iowa State Capitol starting tomorrow, you will see a Christmas tree smack dab in the middle of the rotunda. But surrounding it, since there’s an open forum available to anyone who wants to take advantage of it, will be a record seven displays from atheist groups.

eriously, look at this glorious calendar.

Considering there are only eight spots available, visitors to the Capitol will be inundated with a secular smörgåsbord of ideas.

They include a display from American Atheists that says “This season, no matter what you celebrate or why, Happy Holidays! — Your atheist neighbors.”

And one from the Iowa Atheists and Freethinkers that reads “Joy to the world, reason has come!”

And one from the Eastern Iowa Atheists saying, “Everything Distinctive of Christmas is Pagan or Secular.”

Quote:
“The abundance of atheist and secular holiday displays scheduled to appear this holiday season will showcase how vibrant, involved, and connected the growing community of nonreligious Iowans is,” said Justin Scott, American Atheists’ State Director for Iowa, who liaised between the different groups to get as many atheist displays approved as possible.

“These displays represent a wide swath of Iowa: atheist and humanist, college-aged to the more experienced in life, queer and straight, transgender and/or nonbinary, Iowans of all backgrounds, races and socio-economic status, as well as from various parts of Iowa,” he added.

The displays, which overlap in timing throughout the month, will be up through December 28. Considering there were only two secular displays in the Capitol this time last year, the atheists have clearly figured out how to play the game this time around. Better to have their well-wishes than another Nativity scene shoved down everyone’s throat.

SOURCE

Have to wonder how long it will be before the religious right decide they want to ban all displays there

PostPosted: 12/02/20 2:21 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

You know, sometimes I sympathize with the Christians. If you don't believe in it, just ignore it. Do your "Happy Holidays" thing or whatever you want to do but you don't need to be assholes about it.

PostPosted: 12/02/20 3:18 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:
... you don't need to be assholes about it.

You mean like the Christians who only want their displays?

PostPosted: 12/03/20 12:07 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

Lighted trees and red nosed reindeer are not offensive to either christian or not. I'm not sure why you need christian displays in the state capitol. It's a place of employment. Bows and wreaths and poinsettias are relatively non offensive as well.

PostPosted: 12/03/20 3:42 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

queenoftheuniverse wrote:
Lighted trees and red nosed reindeer are not offensive to either christian or not

Those are secular

Quote:
.... Bows and wreaths and poinsettias are relatively non offensive as well.

Hanging wreaths was adopted from the Romans while the relationship between poinsettias and Christmas is supposed due to an old Mexican legend about a poor girl who left flowers as a gift for baby Jesus at Xmas.

PostPosted: 12/03/20 4:19 pm • # 13 
Editorialist

You mean like the Christians who only want their displays?

I don't see a lot of that except for the dull, persistent whine about using Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. Nor do I hear them complaining about Hanukkah displays. Most of the complaining is from atheists getting their panties in a knot when they see a cross or nativity scene like it's going to ruin their sex life or something and they react by doing everything they can to denigrate the Christian displays like taking up six of seven space for their little signs. Funny thing is the atheists don't react the same way when many government buildings are lit in green for Ramadan. Maybe it just means they can still get it up for Allah.

PostPosted: 12/03/20 4:26 pm • # 14 
Editorialist

There are a lot of cases of atheist displays being vandalized. Or cities suddenly deciding they won't allow any displays after they're told that they have to allow non-Christian displays.

https://ca.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0JQ28N20141212

PostPosted: 12/03/20 4:43 pm • # 15 
Editorialist

shiftless2 wrote:
There are a lot of cases of atheist displays being vandalized. Or cities suddenly deciding they won't allow any displays after they're told that they have to allow non-Christian displays.

https://ca.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0JQ28N20141212

Displays of anything are subject to vandalism. It doesn't mean the atheist displays were vandalized by Christians. Likely as not they were drunk teenagers doing what drunk teenagers do.

As for town deciding against any displays, that's the result of atheists bitching because the Christians got a Christmas Tree or something and the city council saying "Fine rather than get us into an expensive pissing match, a pox on both your houses." Of course that means the atheists won since they really don't care if they display anything or not. They just wanted to denigrate the Christians.

PostPosted: 12/03/20 4:55 pm • # 16 
Editorialist

I resent being beaten down for thinking that it is stupid to celebrate the life of a man who at least on paper shunned every possession, cared for the sick and poor, and had charity for all by hoarding possessions and engaging in gluttony. and on a day which is pretty well believed to not be his birthday, on top of all that.

PostPosted: 12/03/20 5:03 pm • # 17 
Editorialist

macroscopic wrote:
I resent being beaten down for thinking that it is stupid to celebrate the life of a man who at least on paper shunned every possession, cared for the sick and poor, and had charity for all by hoarding possessions and engaging in gluttony. and on a day which is pretty well believed to not be his birthday, on top of all that.

Nobody cares what you think about it, macro. Hell, I agree with you. But there are people who do believe it and what harm does it do to your beliefs if they stick-up a Christmas Tree or Nativity scene. To paraphrase the abortion debate - if you don't want a Christmas Tree, don't have one but don't bitch at me because I want one.

PostPosted: 12/04/20 8:48 am • # 18 
Administrator

jimwilliam wrote:
macroscopic wrote:

Nobody cares what you think about it, macro. Hell, I agree with you. But there are people who do believe it and what harm does it do to your beliefs if they stick-up a Christmas Tree or Nativity scene. To paraphrase the abortion debate - if you don't want a Christmas Tree, don't have one but don't bitch at me because I want one.

It's about government support of one belief system over others. No one gives a crap if you have a X-mas tree at home... unless it's stolen.

PostPosted: 12/04/20 12:17 pm • # 19 
Editorialist

shiftless2 wrote:
queenoftheuniverse wrote:
Lighted trees and red nosed reindeer are not offensive to either christian or not

Those are secular

Lighted trees descended from the Druids who use to burn them to light up the darkest nights of winter. Perhaps secular, perhaps not. Things were all mixed together back in those days, when the traditions were the early ways of dealing with what are now known as science.

Quote:
.... Bows and wreaths and poinsettias are relatively non offensive as well.

Hanging wreaths was adopted from the Romans while the relationship between poinsettias and Christmas is supposed due to an old Mexican legend about a poor girl who left flowers as a gift for baby Jesus at Xmas.

They are things that can brighten up winter for all of us, in say, a public building, without endorsing any faith or lecturing against one. I doubt most people outside of the southwest states know the story of poinsettias- they are just pretty and red, or now white and even green.

PostPosted: 12/04/20 7:15 pm • # 20 
Editorialist

It's about government support of one belief system over others.

Bingo! Religions have had and continue to have plenty of displays on public property. Having to SHARE public places with other groups isn't unreasonable at all.

It's amusing to see how bent out of shape some people get about these secular displays. Do these folks not realize they're just proving the point that public spaces should remain neutral? :lol

PostPosted: 12/04/20 7:33 pm • # 21 
Editorialist

So how come leaving the government buildings, etc. blank not endorsing atheism?

PostPosted: 12/04/20 8:14 pm • # 22 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:
So how come leaving the government buildings, etc. blank not endorsing atheism?

In order to do that they've got to ban all religious displays regardless of religion.

PostPosted: 12/05/20 2:03 pm • # 23 
Editorialist

To do that I think they would have to post a big sign saying "We do not endorse any religion including atheism."

PostPosted: 12/05/20 3:43 pm • # 24 
Editorialist

Atheism isn't a religion. If it is, bald is a hair color and off is a television channel.

PostPosted: 12/06/20 6:26 am • # 25 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:
macroscopic wrote:

except that is pretty much the opposite of what I just said.

what I said has nothing to do with what OTHERS do.
I resent being beaten down for what I do.

Christians are not being persecuted by me. quite the opposite.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ] New Topic Add Reply