It is currently 04/28/24 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next   Page 1 of 14   [ 334 posts ]
 Post subject: Elliot Page
PostPosted: 12/02/20 1:48 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

Can someone please explain to me a few things?

First of all, what is this obsession over gender identification on social media? I see tweets from people who's handle includes: binary, non-binary, they/them, etc. etc. I don't care. I'm tempted to use "me, myself and I" with my handle. LOL
Secondly, Ellen Page is now Elliot Page. Good for him! Again, I don't care........but he identifies as being queer. He married a woman in 2018 as Ellen. I'm SO confused. Does being a transgender male who is queer mean he now likes men? :g

I did a search for answers and they don't help. WTF?

Post subject: Re: Elliot Page
PostPosted: 12/02/20 2:16 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

Roseanne, you live in Golden. It's so small that just one person has got to fill all the "Alternative Lifestyles" positions or they would run out of average people. I think they vote on who that's going to be every two or three years. The hardest part, of course, is having to throw his/her/it's own parade every year.

PostPosted: 12/02/20 2:16 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Roseanne, you live in Golden. It's so small that just one person has got to fill all the "Alternative Lifestyles" positions or they would run out of average people. I think they vote on who that's going to be every two or three years. The hardest part, of course, is having to throw his/her/it's own parade every year.

PostPosted: 12/02/20 6:41 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

I don't care either. Whatever one wants to be or identifies themselves as - just as long long as they do not infringe on other beliefs. There is no 'one size fits all' and that is fine with me. The only thing that confuses me is what are the differences between, lesbian, gay, transgender, transsexual, etc. I looked it all up and the distinctions were subtle. So, still not sure why she did not come out as a lesbian, and identified herself solely as transgender.

PostPosted: 12/02/20 6:56 pm • # 5 
Administrator

I think if one identifies as "binary", one is a computer.
Did I get that part right?

PostPosted: 12/02/20 7:29 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:

:rollin

PostPosted: 12/02/20 7:30 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

Karolinablue wrote:
I don't care either. Whatever one wants to be or identifies themselves as - just as long long as they do not infringe on other beliefs. There is no 'one size fits all' and that is fine with me. The only thing that confuses me is what are the differences between, lesbian, gay, transgender, transsexual, etc. I looked it all up and the distinctions were subtle. So, still not sure why she did not come out as a lesbian, and identified herself solely as transgender.

KB, If I remember correctly, she identified as bi-sexual when she married her girlfriend. :g

PostPosted: 12/02/20 8:45 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:

:lol ok by me

PostPosted: 12/02/20 8:49 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

KB, If I remember correctly, she identified as bi-sexual when she married her girlfriend.

Even curiouser?

PostPosted: 12/06/20 1:34 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

I don't see it as any kind of "obsession" for people to want to clarify who they are. Especially public figures in the public eye, who are always going to be subject to a level of scrutiny that the average person isn't. There's still so much stigma and bigotry to overcome.

Being a trans person really doesn't have anything to do with sexuality. A person attracted to females isn't suddenly going to become attracted to males by virtue of living as a transgender male.

Elliott Page has done *incredible* work on "Gaycation". Willingly being in DANGEROUS situations in countries that aren't at all hospitable to anyone who isn't heterosexual. I was bummed when our cable co. took away VICE tv, and now the show is-I think-on Hulu.

PostPosted: 12/06/20 4:30 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
Being a trans person really doesn't have anything to do with sexuality. A person attracted to females isn't suddenly going to become attracted to males by virtue of living as a transgender male.

True. Sexual orientation and gender identity are two different things. Transgender people can be attracted to the opposite sex, the same sex, both sexes, or neither sex in exactly the same way that cisgender people can.

PostPosted: 12/06/20 7:14 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

shiftless2 wrote:
Chaos333 wrote:

True. Sexual orientation and gender identity are two different things. Transgender people can be attracted to the opposite sex, the same sex, both sexes, or neither sex in exactly the same way that cisgender people can.

Exactly.
Love is love. :hrt

PostPosted: 12/06/20 8:45 pm • # 13 
Editorialist

ok, then. I am still confused about the they/them pronouns. That seems almost generically dismissive. That's just me. I don't care about their sexuality and frankly don't want to know, I was just confused by that "queer" comment. I can't imagine how they deal with it in their own head, ya know? A lot of trans like to be referred to by their gender preference. I know a couple in town that prefer to be addressed as "her".

PostPosted: 12/07/20 12:01 am • # 14 
Editorialist

People seem to confuse "sex" and "sexuality". To me there are only two sexes "male" and "female". What people present themselves as is more important than their plumbing. If a male presents as a female, then she's a "she" and vice versa if a female presents as a male.

Sexuality, on the other hand, is what folks do between the covers and that is easy to deal with. It's none of my business. The only time it matters is if their sexuality affects me personally. I've been hit on a couple of times by gay guys but simply telling them I'm straight has cleared the matter up. We've even stayed friends.

I could see a trans guy without the operation hitting on me could be a problem unless they were straight forward about it and accepted "nyet" as an answer without a fuss. Otherwise I wouldn't care. Might even be fun freaking people I know out pretending to be her date.

PostPosted: 12/07/20 12:07 am • # 15 
Editorialist

People seem to confuse "sex" and "sexuality". To me there are only two sexes "male" and "female". What people present themselves as is more important than their plumbing. If a male presents as a female, then she's a "she" and vice versa if a female presents as a male.

Sexuality, on the other hand, is what folks do between the covers and that is easy to deal with. It's none of my business. The only time it matters is if their sexuality affects me personally. I've been hit on a couple of times by gay guys but simply telling them I'm straight has cleared the matter up. We've even stayed friends.

I could see a trans guy without the operation hitting on me could be a problem unless they were straight forward about it and accepted "nyet" as an answer without a fuss. Otherwise I wouldn't care. Might even be fun freaking people I know out pretending to be her date.

PostPosted: 12/07/20 6:34 am • # 16 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:
... there are only two sexes "male" and "female".

Sex, like gender, is not binary (i.e., M/F) but is probably most simply described as a continuum.

PostPosted: 12/07/20 2:17 pm • # 17 
Editorialist

Sex, like gender, is not binary (i.e., M/F) but is probably most simply described as a continuum.

There are only two sexes, Roseanne. Swinging dicks and split tails. That's a biological fact and, apart from a few hermaphrodites, there are no exceptions. The continuum you talk about has to do with how the person chooses to present themselves. For example, a males who feels he is a female trapped in a man's body may choose to present themselves as female and should be called "she". He may choose to just present as a male despite his feelings and would be a "he" or he may swing back and forth in which case his nomenclature would swing with him.

(Actually I think the "continuum" you mention is the wrong word. It should be "variety" in the sense there are a variety of sexual presentations rather than one leading to another, to another, etc. The "continuum" would more fall into the bigot's definition of "sex" such as "if you let your little boy dress as a girl he'll turn gay.")

PostPosted: 12/07/20 2:39 pm • # 18 
Administrator

Quote:
There are only two sexes, Roseanne. Swinging dicks and split tails. That's a biological fact and, apart from a few hermaphrodites, there are no exceptions.

Self-contradiction right there.

PostPosted: 12/07/20 3:08 pm • # 19 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
ok, then. I am still confused about the they/them pronouns. That seems almost generically dismissive. That's just me. I don't care about their sexuality and frankly don't want to know, I was just confused by that "queer" comment. I can't imagine how they deal with it in their own head, ya know? A lot of trans like to be referred to by their gender preference. I know a couple in town that prefer to be addressed as "her".

The pronouns issue is going to take some time, I think. I know "they/them" can be singular but my brain immediately goes to plural. :lol

PostPosted: 12/07/20 5:42 pm • # 20 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:

There are only two sexes, Roseanne. Swinging dicks and split tails. That's a biological fact and, apart from a few hermaphrodites, there are no exceptions.

Wrong.

Quote:
The continuum you talk about has to do with how the person chooses to present themselves.

That's gender. Not sex.

And even there it's not as clear cut as that sounds - there are crossdressers who are not trans.

PostPosted: 12/07/20 6:56 pm • # 21 
Editorialist

Okay guys, name one person, other than a hermaphrodite, who is not physically male or female.

PostPosted: 12/07/20 8:14 pm • # 22 
Editorialist

I seriously doubt that there is a true hermaphrodite. Intersex is a different matter.

PostPosted: 12/07/20 10:15 pm • # 23 
Editorialist

They're the same thing.

PostPosted: 12/08/20 6:36 am • # 24 
Editorialist

Not the same. And true human hermaphrodites do not exist

Quote:
True hermaphroditic humans do not exist, but pseudohermaphrodism does, where an individual has both male and female external genital organs, sometimes at the same time. Female embryos exposed to high levels of androgens (the male hormones) develop female internal reproductive organs but male external genitalia.

https://science.jrank.org/pages/3310/He ... umans.html

PostPosted: 12/08/20 12:16 pm • # 25 
Editorialist

Look a little deeper and you will find that the term hermaphrodite has fallen prey to the more politically correct "intersex."

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next   Page 1 of 14   [ 334 posts ] New Topic Add Reply