It is currently 03/29/24 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Supporters Feel Betrayed
PostPosted: 01/16/21 6:36 am • # 1 
Editorialist

I hope this snowballs.

"For months, President Donald Trump’s message to his supporters was clear: The election was being stolen from him, and they needed to fight to take it back.
So on Jan. 6, during a Trump-promoted rally to “Stop the Steal,” thousands laid siege to the U.S. Capitol in a stunning attempt to do just that. The fallout of their failed insurrection, which resulted in five deaths, was swift: Trump was deplatformed from nearly every major social network and, on Wednesday, impeached for a historic second time.

When he emerged on camera a short while later, tail tucked between his legs, to condemn the rioters whom he himself had incited, and to call for a peaceful transfer of power to President-elect Joe Biden, his base felt betrayed.
“So he basically just sold out the patriots who got rounded up for him,” one person wrote in a 15,000-member pro-Trump Telegram group. “Just wow.”
In online havens for MAGA extremists, including Gab, CloutHub, MeWe, Telegram and far-right message boards such as 8kun, the tone toward Trump is shifting. HuffPost reviewed thousands of messages across these platforms and found that a growing minority of the president’s once-devout backers are now denouncing him and rejecting his recent pleas for peace. Some have called for his arrest or execution, labeling him a “traitor” and a “coward.” Alarmingly, many of those who are irate about Biden’s supposed electoral theft are still plotting to forcibly prevent him from taking office — with or without Trump’s help.
“We don’t follow you,” another Telegram user wrote, addressing Trump, after the president put out his video urging calm and order. “Be quiet and get out of our way.”
It has become apparent that now — after his mass radicalization campaign of voter-fraud disinformation and conspiracy-mongering — even Trump can’t stop the dangerous delusion he’s instilled across the country, or the next wave of violence it may soon bring."

More:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-supporters-betrayed_n_60016777c5b62c0057bc11ab

PostPosted: 01/16/21 7:02 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Meanwhiile, Franklin Graham compared the 10 Rs who voted to impeach Trump to Judas. Does that mean he thinks Trump is Jesus or what? :|

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspoli ... li=AAggNb9

PostPosted: 01/16/21 7:31 am • # 3 
Editorialist

He is such a disgrace for a supposed man of God. I am hoping the disdain for trump by supporters grows - so they become a fractured movement and more and more leave the radicals. Hopefully they will become pariahs and much easier to put down.

PostPosted: 01/29/21 10:31 am • # 4 
Editorialist

His supporters could have foreseen this. He betrays everyone at some point. The radicals will continue on. He was someone they could rally behind but his usefulness has expired. I'd bet many of them didn't even vote in the first place.

PostPosted: 01/29/21 11:24 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Karolinablue wrote:
[Franklin Graham] is such a disgrace for a supposed man of God.

The only positive thing you can say about him is he's not as crazy as his sister.

PostPosted: 01/29/21 1:50 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

I doubt very much that there will be more organized violence.
they are no longer speaking in one voice, with the tacit (or vocal) support of
a president. they are again relegated to hated minority status.
and yeah, SOME of them will get violent. but many more will just sit and
stew and wait for the next prophet of doom.

PostPosted: 01/29/21 5:00 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

macroscopic wrote:
I doubt very much that there will be more organized violence.
they are no longer speaking in one voice, with the tacit (or vocal) support of
a president. they are again relegated to hated minority status.
and yeah, SOME of them will get violent. but many more will just sit and
stew and wait for the next prophet of doom.

I'm not so sure about that. They my not storm the capitol, but they sure do love to create violent confrontations whenever they get the chance.

PostPosted: 01/29/21 10:16 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

do they, tho?
seems like mostly what they do is sit around and stew,
and wait for opportunities to be lead, like sheep, to slaughter.

PostPosted: 01/29/21 10:31 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

I tend to agree with macro. They've got no lightning rod to coalesce around with Grabem not only out of the White House but basically cut-off from his means of communication. Many will continue to gripe and grumble, maybe even spark violence once in a while but, without a leader, they'll be little more than an annoyance.

Where they will really have power is in the minds of the GOP politicians who are terrified of the squeaky wheel.
I think we can safely expect the insanity will continue on that side of the aisle.

PostPosted: 01/30/21 12:58 am • # 10 
Editorialist

and keep in mind that the ONLY reason that the dude with the megaphone didn't get arrested for his many misdeeds was that he was president. civilians won't have that defense. they WILL get arrested. so, yeah. this will PROBABLY die down quickly.

PostPosted: 01/30/21 7:06 am • # 11 
Editorialist

macroscopic wrote:
and keep in mind that the ONLY reason that the dude with the megaphone didn't get arrested for his many misdeeds was that he was president.

The operative phrase here is "was the President". Now there's nothing stopping him from being charged with inciting violence.

PostPosted: 01/30/21 7:08 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

which might explain why he is not blowing up some alternative site.

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply