It is currently 04/20/24 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: A PSA
PostPosted: 02/18/21 12:40 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

My Dad told me, but I didn't do this....When bad weather like storms, ice, heavy snow is expected fill up your tub, sinks and even your washer with fresh, cold water. Going without water is devastating. Can be boiled to drink (if you have power or a fire to do that), used to flush, to take a "sink bath", to brush teeth etc. I think I will start doing that.

Post subject: Re: A PSA
PostPosted: 02/18/21 1:25 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

We always have two big bottles of water available for drinking water. I keep a couple of five gallon pails of water for the toilet or washing on our balcony (they make nice plant stands) but it's no enough for anything serious. We talked just the other day about something more because we got rid of our tub a couple of years ago and put in a walk-in shower. I also have a propane stove and light always handy with lots of fuel canisters. The light generates enough heat to warm a small room even with a window partially open.

PostPosted: 02/18/21 1:35 pm • # 3 
Administrator

We have a generator that keeps the furnace going, sump pump going, a couple of lights on and water running. We can cook on the barbie.

PostPosted: 02/18/21 1:41 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

I keep a flat of drinking water around - just stuffed in a corner. And if a hurricane is coming I fill the bathtub and a couple of buckets with water. That gives me something to flush the toilet with.

PostPosted: 02/18/21 6:57 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
My Dad told me, but I didn't do this....When bad weather like storms, ice, heavy snow is expected fill up your tub, sinks and even your washer with fresh, cold water. Going without water is devastating. Can be boiled to drink (if you have power or a fire to do that), used to flush, to take a "sink bath", to brush teeth etc. I think I will start doing that.

Standard fare down here in Hurricane Alley. I did it when I first moved here, not so much now. I always have a good water supply though, and lots of candles,lanterns, just a plain old storm can cause power outages here.

PostPosted: 02/19/21 2:40 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

For my first 40 years I had city water supply. Imagine my surprise when I found out you could not flush your toilet if the power was out. A huge drawback of well water that no one who has city water knows about- electric well pumps.

PostPosted: 02/19/21 4:53 pm • # 7 
Administrator

queenoftheuniverse wrote:
For my first 40 years I had city water supply. Imagine my surprise when I found out you could not flush your toilet if the power was out. A huge drawback of well water that no one who has city water knows about- electric well pumps.

Lift stations have pumps.

PostPosted: 02/21/21 7:36 am • # 8 
Editorialist

The city has backup generators- we never lost water even during the Blizzard of 78.

PostPosted: 02/21/21 9:22 am • # 9 
Administrator

We've never lost water or sewage service though we have had to turn water off and on to prevent pipes from freezing.

PostPosted: 02/21/21 9:40 am • # 10 
Administrator

Hope the areas impacted by extreme weather are prepared for the possible flooding coming their way.

PostPosted: 02/21/21 2:29 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
We've never lost water or sewage service though we have had to turn water off and on to prevent pipes from freezing.

If you turn the water off, make sure you drain the pipes or you are just making the matter worse. Better off to leave a tap running.

PostPosted: 02/21/21 7:25 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

queenoftheuniverse wrote:

My Grandma had well water/electric pumps for years before the city finally hooked them up. But they also had a creek about 100 yards behind the house and that made getting buckets of water for flushing pretty easy. Then my mom had well water/electric pump when she moved south. She said it was "just like her childhood". lol

We keep a few cases of bottled water on hand for emergencies.

PostPosted: 02/21/21 7:56 pm • # 13 
Administrator

jimwilliam wrote:
oskar576 wrote:

If you turn the water off, make sure you drain the pipes or you are just making the matter worse. Better off to leave a tap running.

We open all the taps.

PostPosted: 02/21/21 10:09 pm • # 14 
Editorialist

one of the things I loved about my old house. it has a well with a tank ON A HILL. the tank would supply water to the houses for about a week if the power went out.

gravity is wonderful.

PostPosted: 02/22/21 1:59 pm • # 15 
Editorialist

macroscopic wrote:
gravity is wonderful.

And the price is right

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply