It is currently 04/28/24 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 65 posts ]
 Post subject: Re: Derek Chauvin Trial
PostPosted: 04/21/21 5:40 pm • # 26 
Editorialist

I think that every time I read his name.

PostPosted: 04/22/21 8:26 am • # 27 
Editorialist

Stephen Colbert on the verdict - "Justice for black America is justice for all America"

https://fb.watch/51ga4HCYW3/

PostPosted: 04/22/21 7:51 pm • # 28 
Editorialist

macroscopic wrote:
guilty on all counts, including 2nd degree murder.
if he gets sentenced along guidelines, he will spend the rest of his life in prison.

I read today that because Chauvin had no prior convictions, the max sentence on each charge is substantially reduced. So life behind bars is doubtful. Maybe a decade.

I didn't expect guilty on all counts. But I sure am glad I was wrong! Watched it live and I was yelling "YESSSS!!!" every time the judge said "Guilty". :bow2

PostPosted: 04/22/21 11:05 pm • # 29 
Editorialist

I bet he gets a minimum of 15, and probably something closer to 30 with parole in 15.

PostPosted: 04/30/21 1:18 pm • # 30 
Editorialist

Feds plan to indict Chauvin, other 3 ex-officers on civil rights charges in Floyd's death
If the grand jury votes to indict, the former officers will face the new civil rights charges on top of the state's cases, meaning all four could be headed toward yet another criminal trial in federal court.

Written By: Andy Mannix

Leading up to Derek Chauvin's murder trial, Justice Department officials had spent months gathering evidence to indict the ex-Minneapolis police officer on federal police brutality charges, but they feared the publicity frenzy could disrupt the state's case.

So they came up with a contingency plan: If Chauvin were found not guilty on all counts or the case ended in a mistrial, they would arrest him at the courthouse, according to sources familiar with the planning discussions.

The backup plan would not be necessary. On April 20, the jury found Chauvin guilty on all three murder and manslaughter counts, sending him to the state's most secure lockdown facility to await sentencing, and avoiding the riots many feared could engulf the city once again.

Now, with Chauvin's state trial out of the way, federal prosecutors are moving forward with their case. They plan to ask a grand jury to indict Chauvin and the other three ex-officers involved in George Floyd's killing — J. Alexander Kueng, Thomas Lane and Tou Thao — on charges of civil rights violations, a source said.

If the grand jury votes to indict, the former officers will face the new ...

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/c ... oyds-death

PostPosted: 04/30/21 3:10 pm • # 31 
Editorialist

What's the point?

PostPosted: 04/30/21 5:51 pm • # 32 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:
What's the point?

Whether Chauvin's sentence will be consecutive or concurrent is one question (and don't forget that he'll probably appeal his existing conviction) but this will also include the three officers who were also present.

PostPosted: 05/03/21 9:49 pm • # 33 
Editorialist

I was reading a legal article yesterday where the author was making the point that in most States, Chauvin would not have been charged with the most serious offenses he was convicted of. According to the article, Minnesota is fairly unique in that the "intent" to kill does not need to be present for murder to have been committed in Minnesota. In other States that "intent" has to be there. The most he could be charged with is manslaughter.

I would disagree with the article in the sense that I believe he either formed the intent to kill Floyd or just didn't care if he killed him at the point Floyd lost consciousness and stopped responding. Even when that happened
Chauvin continued to kneel on his neck for a full three minutes.

PostPosted: 05/04/21 12:30 pm • # 34 
Editorialist

That would be voluntary manslaughter in this state but the penalty is the same as he is facing.

PostPosted: 05/12/21 1:48 pm • # 35 
Editorialist

A Minnesota judge has ruled that there were aggravating factors in the death of George Floyd, paving the way for a longer sentence for Derek Chauvin.

Judge's ruling paves way for longer sentence for Derek Chauvin in George Floyd's death
Even with the aggravating factors, legal experts have said, the former Minneapolis police officer is unlikely to get more than 30 years.

Janelle Griffith

A Minnesota judge has ruled that there were aggravating factors in the death of George Floyd, paving the way for a longer sentence for Derek Chauvin.

In his ruling made public Wednesday, Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill found that Chauvin abused his authority as a Minneapolis police officer when he restrained Floyd in May 2020, and that he treated Floyd with particular cruelty. The ruling also found that Chauvin committed his crime as part of a group with the active participation of at least three other officers and acted with children present, including a 9-year-old girl and her 17-year-old cousin whose cellphone video of Floyd's arrest brought international attention to his death.

Chauvin, who is white, was convicted in April of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter for kneeling on Floyd's neck for 9½ minutes. Floyd, 46, a Black father, repeatedly said he couldn't breathe. Chauvin and the three other police officers who were at the scene were fired a day after Floyd's death.

Chauvin is scheduled to be sentenced June 25. Even with the aggravating factors, legal experts have said, he is unlikely to get more than 30 years.

Even though he was found guilty of three counts, under Minnesota statutes he will only be sentenced on the most serious count — second-degree murder, said Mark Osler, a former federal prosecutor and a professor at the University of St. Thomas School of Law in Minnesota.

Under the state's sentencing guidelines, Chauvin, who had no criminal history, would have faced a presumptive sentence of 12 ½ years on that count, he said.

"This is basically Cahill giving himself permission to depart above the top of the sentencing guideline range, 180 months," Osler said. "He doesn't have to do so, but he can. Both sides will argue on whether a departure is appropriate, and how long it should be."

Prosecutors had asked for what is known as an upward departure, citing five aggravating factors. Cahill agreed with all but one. He said prosecutors did not prove that Floyd was particularly vulnerable.

Chauvin and the three other officers who detained Floyd — J. Alexander Kueng, Thomas Lane and Tou Thao — were indicted on federal charges of violating Floyd's civil rights, the Justice Department announced Friday. A second indictment also charged Chauvin with depriving a 14-year-old boy of his civil rights during a September 2017 encounter in which he is accused of holding the boy by the throat and striking his head multiple times with a flashlight.

Floyd's killing led to months of demonstrations against police violence.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ju ... e-n1267093

PostPosted: 06/25/21 10:08 am • # 36 
Editorialist

Judge denies Derek Chauvin's request for new trial ahead of sentencing
The former Minneapolis police officer was convicted in April of second- and third-degree murder, as well as second-degree manslaughter.

A Minnesota judge denied a request from Derek Chauvin's attorney for a new trial hours before the former Minneapolis police officer is to be sentenced for murder in the death of George Floyd.

Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill, who will sentence Chauvin Friday afternoon, also denied the defense's request for a hearing on jury misconduct.

In his ruling filed Thursday and made public Friday morning, Cahill said the defense failed to prove that Chauvin was denied his right to a fair trial or that the state had engaged in prosecutorial misconduct.

In early May, about three weeks after Chauvin was convicted, his attorney, Eric Nelson, asked for a new trial on several grounds, including jury misconduct.

Nelson claimed Chauvin did not receive a fair trial for reasons including ...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/de ... d-n1272332

PostPosted: 06/25/21 6:59 pm • # 37 
Editorialist

Derek Chauvin sentenced to 22 1/2 years in death of George Floyd

https://abcnews.go.com/US/live-updates/ ... d=78469886

PostPosted: 06/26/21 8:33 am • # 38 
Administrator

22.5years.

Justice, revenge or politics? perhaps all three?

PostPosted: 06/27/21 9:56 pm • # 39 
Editorialist

I wonder if it crossed his mind that morning when he got up, had his do-nut and coffee, packed his baloney sandwich, Oreos and apple for lunch that he would spend the new quarter century in prison.

PostPosted: 06/28/21 5:45 am • # 40 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:
I wonder if it crossed his mind that morning when he got up, had his do-nut and coffee, packed his baloney sandwich, Oreos and apple for lunch that he would spend the new quarter century in prison.

Not sure, as he seemed so arrogant during the trail. He did not show any remorse, so I think he might be shocked, but will make make excuses for the verdict and not blame any of his actions. .

PostPosted: 06/28/21 6:51 am • # 41 
Editorialist

The city's original press release told a very different story

And there are who knows how many more

https://www.9news.com/article/news/inve ... b15afc5b7c

PostPosted: 06/28/21 10:14 pm • # 42 
Editorialist

Karolinablue wrote:
jimwilliam wrote:

Not sure, as he seemed so arrogant during the trail. He did not show any remorse, so I think he might be shocked, but will make make excuses for the verdict and not blame any of his actions. .

I meant the morning he killed Floyd.

PostPosted: 07/01/21 9:15 am • # 43 
Editorialist

Podcast called Embeded, collaboration between NPR and KQED has a series of incidents that are quite disturbing. It’s a result of recent CA law that makes some information public that was previously withheld. Police regularly use unnecessary force and lie in their incident reports.

PostPosted: 07/01/21 10:54 am • # 44 
Editorialist

queenoftheuniverse wrote:
Police regularly use unnecessary force and lie in their incident reports.

Yep business as usual.

PostPosted: 07/01/21 11:03 am • # 45 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
22.5years.

I would argue that there is no true justice in a murder case.
the best you can do is appropriate sentencing.
in this case, he acted with willful and reckless disregard for the public he was sworn to serve. I feel that the sentencing was appropriate.

do you?

PostPosted: 07/01/21 11:25 am • # 46 
Administrator

macroscopic wrote:
oskar576 wrote:
22.5years.

I would argue that there is no true justice in a murder case.
the best you can do is appropriate sentencing.
in this case, he acted with willful and reckless disregard for the public he was sworn to serve. I feel that the sentencing was appropriate.

do you?

IMO, it's excessive, but then I see the system as one where rehabilitation is more important than punishment.

PostPosted: 07/01/21 11:57 am • # 47 
Editorialist

he killed a guy that he was sworn to protect.
what penalty is appropriate?

PostPosted: 07/01/21 11:58 am • # 48 
Editorialist

Not sure I'd call it excessive. After all, this isn't the first time he's done something like that

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/11/1 ... 17-minutes

PostPosted: 07/01/21 1:00 pm • # 49 
Administrator

shiftless2 wrote:
Not sure I'd call it excessive. After all, this isn't the first time he's done something like that

Is Chauvin the problem or is he a symptom of crappy policing?

PostPosted: 07/01/21 2:21 pm • # 50 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
shiftless2 wrote:

Is Chauvin the problem or is he a symptom of crappy policing?

Both - he himself is a problem but his behavior (and that of people like him) is being swept under the rug by the powers that be.

Look at the cities initial press release re Floyd's death and compare that to the video. And it's hardly the only time we've seen that sort of thing.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 65 posts ] New Topic Add Reply