It is currently 04/28/24 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: 05/24/21 6:28 am • # 1 
Editorialist

Yearbook Photos of Girls Were Altered to Hide Their Chests
Parents and students said they were outraged that photos of at least 80 female students at Bartram Trail High School in St. Johns County, Fla., had been digitally edited.

Maria Cramer and Michael Levenson

Riley O’Keefe said a black bar had been digitally added to her yearbook photo.Credit...Bartram Trail High School Yearbook

There had been rumors all day that the yearbook photos had been altered, said Riley O’Keefe, a ninth grader at Bartram Trail High School in St. Johns County, Fla.

When she finally got her copy, Ms. O’Keefe, 15, opened the page to her photo and laughed in disbelief.

A black bar had been added to cover more of her chest, she said. Then, Ms. O’Keefe thumbed through the rest of the yearbook. Dozens of other students — all girls — had similar edits, many of them clumsy alterations that covered more of their chests.

Ms. O’Keefe said she had been confused at first, then furious. Other girls approached her and said the alterations made them feel sexualized and exposed.

Many students and parents are now demanding an apology.

They said the altered photos were the latest in a series of crackdowns by administrators who have used an outdated dress code to police the way girls dress.

“They need to recognize that ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/23/us/y ... ering.html

Personally I think the school should be forced to reissue the yearbook using the original unaltered pics (at the school's expense).

I know there have been cases of schools reissuing yearbooks in the past but it usually involves students somehow slipping something "inappropriate" into the pics.

PostPosted: 05/25/21 12:00 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Good Lord! Wonder what they would have done to a girl wearing jeans and having a camel toe.

PostPosted: 05/27/21 8:40 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

:ey

I read a CNN article (no paywall) and it seems ONE person decided to do a crappy photoshop job on all those pictures. Didn't ask anybody, didn't discuss it with anybody.

PostPosted: 05/28/21 3:37 am • # 4 
Editorialist

That's my understanding as well.

PostPosted: 05/28/21 5:58 am • # 5 
Administrator

No thanks for the mammaries.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply