It is currently 04/28/24 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
PostPosted: 07/08/21 8:17 am • # 1 
Editorialist

Yes, Trump is Actually More Insane Than Even His Fiercest Critics Feared
The history of this moment is still in the making

Lawson Miller

The peaceful transition of power has been a hallmark of American democracy since the nation’s founding. Even the most bitter of rivals — John Adams and Thomas Jefferson — committed to the peaceful transition of power despite their differences, and set a precedent necessary for the survival of the American political system. We saw the first breakdown and flagrant rejection of this tradition with the presidency of Donald Trump. For the first time in our nation’s history, a president and his staunchest allies held a rally in which they encouraged and fanned the flames of an attack on the American government itself, so that their chosen candidate could remain in power. For the first time in our nation’s history, a president was impeached for inciting an insurrection against our own government. The magnitude of this moment will be analyzed for decades and centuries to come, and even now, living so close to the event, it’s hard to have historical perspective on how this event has and will shape American politics.

After losing the election, it became pretty clear that Donald Trump had gone off the deep end. His own cabinet contemplated removing him from office by invoking the 25th amendment, and social media companies banned his accounts for fear of further incitement of violence. All of this happened merely a year ago. It has been clear for many from the start that Trump was an unhinged buffoon, who was willing to destroy longstanding American principles and even institutions, if it meant having and maintaining power. Similarly, GOP desperation for power enabled an unqualified and impulsive moron to the highest office in the land, only to have some of them cringe and regret their decisions later. Is this the price of power? The wholesale destruction of democratic principles so your corporate donors can get a nice tax cut? The weakening of American institutions and violations of basic morals, principles, and laws at the highest level, because at least we don’t have the email lady? The Republican Party enabled Donald Trump to the point of insurrection, a stain that will forever be seared onto the party.

As America slowly begins its recovery from the Trump administration, more details are continuing to come to light about just how far the president and his lackeys were willing to go to actually undo the results of a democratic election, as well as the disturbing revelations regarding Trump’s actual state of mind. These revelations are not only alarming because the man who attempted such brazen feats not only held the highest office, but may very well seek it again. The party that enabled and excused an insurrection against the United States government, encouraged and celebrated by their own standard bearer, would do so again. There seems to be no answer to the question of what the modern Republican Party wouldn’t do to maintain its grasp on power. The fact that this question is unanswerable means that we are in dangerous and uncharted territory.

New Revelations

Since leaving office, a flood of information has been gradually coming to light about what was going on inside Trump’s administration, his state of mind and behavior, and a silent assault on American democracy that makes many of us wonder just what else there is that we don’t know about.

Perhaps some of the more disturbing revelations took place towards ...

https://medium.com/politically-speaking ... 7c1c7d74e9

More. Much more. Quotes and live links at source.

PostPosted: 07/08/21 8:39 am • # 2 
Administrator

The "insanity defense"?

PostPosted: 07/08/21 12:01 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

no. he is not clinically insane.

PostPosted: 07/08/21 3:45 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

macroscopic wrote:
no. he is not clinically insane.

That doesn't mean he shouldn't be sectioned because he's a danger to others. Just look at January 6th.

PostPosted: 07/08/21 10:10 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

He's a cranky old senior with the emotional maturity of a two year old.

PostPosted: 07/08/21 10:34 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

I am not saying he should never darken the WH door.
I am saying he is not crazy.
he is a complete asshole.

PostPosted: 07/08/21 11:59 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

I think he is more than a bit crazy, macro. Nobody can behave the way he does without being a soup spoon short of a full place setting.

PostPosted: 07/09/21 5:40 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

if you say so, jim.

I am not qualified to judge him sane. are you qualified to judge him insane?

PostPosted: 07/11/21 7:08 am • # 9 
Editorialist

I agree with Macro. He's a narcissist and egomaniac and he's always has been. The fact that he even managed to get into politics, not to mention be elected President, shows the sad state of America.

PostPosted: 07/11/21 8:18 am • # 10 
Editorialist

John59 wrote:
I agree with Macro. He's a narcissist and egomaniac and he's always has been. The fact that he even managed to get into politics, not to mention be elected President, shows the sad state of America.

Absolutely, and that is the saddest, scariest, and most disturbing of all.

PostPosted: 07/11/21 2:57 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

part of why I bristle at calling Trump insane is that it partially forgives him for the damage he has done to our country. in our legal system, the crazier you are, the less culpable you are.

PostPosted: 07/12/21 2:04 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

He does not seem insane. I don't think he believes half the sh*t he spews. I believe most of the craziest sounding stuff is carefully orchestrated to produce a certain response from others. He is extremely manipulative, abusive, and narcissistic.

PostPosted: 07/14/21 1:13 am • # 13 
Editorialist

macroscopic wrote:
if you say so, jim.

Let's put it this way. If he were charged with murder the District Attorney would be arguing he was okay for the death penalty and the defense would claim he couldn't find his as with both hands and a map. Somewhere in between is the truth.

PostPosted: 07/14/21 4:11 am • # 14 
Editorialist

macroscopic wrote:
if you say so, jim.

I am not qualified to say whether he's clinically insane. I can say that he's a danger to others - his rantings have led to violence and will do so in the future.

PostPosted: 07/14/21 12:15 pm • # 15 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:
macroscopic wrote:
if you say so, jim.

Let's put it this way. If he were charged with murder the District Attorney would be arguing he was okay for the death penalty and the defense would claim he couldn't find his as with both hands and a map. Somewhere in between is the truth.

I read that as "no".

PostPosted: 07/17/21 1:42 am • # 16 
Editorialist

macroscopic wrote:
jimwilliam wrote:
[i]
macroscopic wrote:
if you say so, jim.

[/i]

I read that as "no".

Wrong. I'm just saying that those who want to believe he is sane will believe it. Those that don't will believe he's totally bonkers. I think he's not stark raving bonkers but he's certainly not entirely sane. Nobody could act the way he does and be totally sane.

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply