It is currently 05/18/24 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
PostPosted: 07/15/21 4:38 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

Ken Starr Shows How the Right Uses Cancel Culture to Promote Fascism
The freedom to express oneself is different from the freedom to lie

B Kean

Rightwingers love to say that liberals, when confronted with opinions that run counter to theirs, “melt like snowflakes.” That belief is precisely the reason we do get aggravated. It’s a lie. It’s an extreme exaggeration. It’s a copout and it gives intellectually lazy people cover.

“Democrats eat babies, you know?”

“What?!” Face turns red, and pulse quickens, and liberal loses his marbles. “You can’t say that. It’s just bat-shit crazy.”
“You are such a snowflake. Stop trying to cancel me. I have my 1st Amendment Rights.”

But the basis for tossing those accusations at us are simply wrong. The right has made insanity the norm; and, when we react to the insanity, we are in fact justifying their right to be insane because not only are our reactions reinforcing their statements; but conservatives are uniting against us because they say we are being “elitist” for trying to tell people the truth, the facts. Rightwingers will say we are telling them “how to think.”

If you tell me you want to toss a pot of boiling water onto a crowd of people, and then I tell you not to do so; this means neither am I telling you how to think nor am I trying to cancel you. I am merely trying to save a lot of people from some grave harm, and you from getting into a lot of trouble.

Since the explosion of all-things Trump onto our American reality in 2016, our efforts to empower the truth, to call upon sanity gets rightwingers all worked up — it is they who actually melt like snowflakes.

Kenneth Starr was confronted by Dan Abrams recently about his gross contradictions concerning impeachment. For those of you who have forgotten, Ken Starr made it a sport to tear down President Clinton in the 1990’s.

Clinton, when Starr began his investigation into the Whitewater dealings, hadn’t broken the law yet — which means, he hadn’t started his affair with Monica Lewinsky. Starr loved being the star and after sifting through the garbage of Clinton’s life so relentlessly, he eventually caught the president in a lie — did you have sex with that woman? No; but he had, and as a result was impeached by the Republican House and censured by the Senate, albeit non-binding.

Starr claims the Democrats were tearing the country apart by impeaching Trump; so much so, that he even defended him of his clearly illegal actions.

Quote:
Moments later, after some more back-and-forth over Starr’s actions relating to both Clinton’s and Trump’s (first) impeachment, Abrams said that someone can believe what Clinton did then was wrong and worthy of impeachment, while also questioning why Starr was now arguing that impeachment is divisive.

“Part of your argument [in the Trump impeachment] was focused on this question of the broader divisiveness of impeachment,” Abrams said. “I think I’m going to go further than ironic, and call it hypocritical.”

“Well, that’s — welcome to our sweet land of liberty, where you can not only have that opinion, but you can even try to cancel that opinion,” Starr said.

“No, I’m not trying to cancel,” Abrams responded. “Just confronting you with it, and allowing you to respond.”

Where in the hell is Abrams canceling Starr’s opinion? The Right knows full and well that their positions on most matters are based on such shaky ground that there can be no room for intelligent discussion. Shine the faintest light on any position that unites the fascist right today, and its transparency will shock you. Nothing holds water.

Voter fraud is non-existent. Black militant terrorism is non-existent. Antifa terrorism is non-existent. Democrats are not eating babies. The vaccine was not made with the tissue of aborted babies. Donald Trump did not make America great again. Joe Biden is not a Chinese spy. Just writing this stuff makes me furious! It makes me hot. No snowflake could get within three feet of me because of the heat being radiated.

Every Republican politician, who has found him, or herself, in trouble with the law, or the media, since Trump ascended to the presidency, has made the false claims that they were being canceled. The suggestion that our collective disgust makes us frail like snowflakes is pure nonsense. If anything it makes stronger. They suggest, however, that in order to protect our menagerie-like left-wing existence, we stomp our feet, protest every offense and then silence those offending opinions. It is 2021 and there can be no room for hate and racism in our national discourse — at least officially that is.

Whereas Nazi Germany used cancel culture to remove all that was “cosmopolitan (Jewish)” from Germany’s past and present, today’s right is actually using cancel culture claim that they are being victimized. They say their First Amendment rights, they same ones they aren’t willing to afford to others, are being denied them. When BLM groups seek to peacefully protest, the police go into siege mentality and in some places armed white nationalists take to the streets. We have even seen the National Guard called out — but they weren’t called out on January 6th.

Hitler used the cancel culture strategy to purge Jews from society and America’s right uses accusations that they are being “canceled” to push their authoritarian, racist lies into the mainstream. Everyone roots for the underdog. When every single Republican politician, news personality and even jurist mischaracterizes our disagreements with their untrue, and even dangerous, opinions as being anti-Constitutional attempts to quash First Amendment rights, then the mob of dummies “watching at home” gets radicalized.

While many on the right do admit that the January 6th insurrection was wrong, and even some of the participants are out there apologizing for their actions, some look at the day as the ultimate in freedom of speech. This a purely American problem, for while any opinion is allowed to be aired, any and all counter-opinions, especially when proving why something is wrong, also have their place. The Right’s cry that they are being cancelled is actually an attempt to get us to accept their increasingly-insane views of reality.

Quote:
For many Americans, freedom — especially freedom of speech — is the most cherished founding principle of the nation’s identity, and they see it is a tenet of American exceptionalism. It is true that the United States is different from other democracies in that it holds what is sometimes called an “absolutist” view of freedom of speech. In American law, even hate speech is protected, and the Supreme Court has repeatedly confirmed that there is no exception for hate speech in the First Amendment (Beauharnais v. Illinois, 1952; Matal v. Tam, 2017)(Freedom of Speech).

We lose our tempers and fight with them because we have truth on our side. Collective reactions of outrage over comments like “there were good people on both sides” makes us the patriots. If someone reacts by calling us snowflakes then we know they stand.

When people lose jobs because of their racist, hateful acts, they are not being canceled; rather, they are being reprimanded. Just like screaming fire in a crowded theater is wrong, and potentially dangerous, so too is calling all people of a certain race or religion bad a unhelpful act for collective comity.

As an American, you can have any opinion you want, but what we are saying is: You can’t go around penalizing others just because you don’t like the way they look, think or vote.

https://medium.com/politically-speaking ... 594f4582d2

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ] New Topic Add Reply